• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Phantom Thief of Persona 5 The Royal - Kasumi Yoshizawa/"Jane"

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
When is the appropriate time to change the thread name to
Violet
I am not exactly sure. I mean, I don't imagine it's super spoilery out of context, but...
It does relate to something very big in Kasumi's story. Something so big, putting the details even in a spoiler tab feels too risky.

When do you guys think it should be changed, if at all?

osby

Smash Obsessed
Kasumi's codename is a huge spoiler and it's best to keep it away from thread title for a good while.

Anyway, I caught up with most of the Royal, aside from the final boss. I need to see how they close it to give my last verdict but damn.

Royal is a huge step up from vanilla P5 in terms of emotional impact.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Kasumi's codename is a huge spoiler and it's best to keep it away from thread title for a good while.

Anyway, I caught up with most of the Royal, aside from the final boss. I need to see how they close it to give my last verdict but damn.

Royal is a huge step up from vanilla P5 in terms of emotional impact.
Most I know is that the reddit thread follow Tim's speedrun was all kinds of pissy (and that I still can't read Japanese despite watching 3-5 different playthroughs of Cold Steel 4)

KatKit

Smash Lord
"What could be so spoilery about a codename's meaning?" I thought. Hoo boy. Don't do it! Don't look up anything involving her. Ignorance is bliss.

My innocence is ruined. D:

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
so if Jane did refer to Kasumi in Smash, it was probably just a placeholder name. Like Jane Doe...

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
so if Jane did refer to Kasumi in Smash, it was probably just a placeholder name. Like Jane Doe...
Yeah, I think that is the most likely conection, not just as a placeholder, but for reasons that we have generally agreed not to say in this thread.

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
Since people might confuse her for the other Kasumi from the Dead or Alive games, for convenience, I'll just refer to her as Sumi for short.

*maniacal laughter*

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
So, those who have seen the spoilers, how have your perceptions on Kasumi as a potential fighter changed since? Make sure to put the details in the spoiler tab, and even then, try to avoid mentioning the "big thing".

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
I'll say this: Now it really makes sense why they waited because if they didn't...

Like all things involving Kasumi, it would've been too soon. Dark humor aside, I know she's going to happen eventually, and I'm glad they waited.

With that being said, I wonder if we'll get a Sumire true form alt with a Futaba color scheme.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I'll say this: Now it really makes sense why they waited because if they didn't...

Like all things involving Kasumi, it would've been too soon. Dark humor aside, I know she's going to happen eventually, and I'm glad they waited.

With that being said, I wonder if we'll get a Sumire true form alt with a Futaba color scheme.
Sumire alt would be a rather brazen move, but Smash has not been shy of such spoilery things. I will say, however, that you edit the post to have a little more protection for this spoiler, due to how big it is. I am employing two tabs, as no one could accidentally click two tabs.

Edit:
Really, I imagine this topic is going to be hard to avoid outright, and not mentioning could certainly stifle some possible discussion(Especially since it could explain a certain mystery about this character we have had since the beginning when it came to Smash). If you are going to talk about it, please employ spoiler tabs saying you will, preferably with two tabs, as to have the extra warning and avoiding accidental spoilers.

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
I don't know how to do spoiler inception, and typing it manually on mobile all the time is troublesome as it is, so avoid my posts in this thread, those afraid of spoilers. Sadly, I'm not as forgiving as our pal Tamm. You have been warned...

With that being said, there's another visual similarity between the two that hasn't been addressed involving their Personas.

Kasumi's 2nd tier Persona looks like a female version of Arsene. It basically has no purpose in the game other than to complete the evolution cycle because shortly after that, it levels up to its true form. The design is suspicious. That is too much of a coincidence. However, I can imagine it having a purpose elsewhere... in Smash.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I don't know how to do spoiler inception, and typing it manually on mobile all the time is troublesome as it is, so avoid my posts in this thread, those afraid of spoilers. Sadly, I'm not as forgiving as our pal Tamm. You have been warned...

With that being said, there's another visual similarity between the two that hasn't been addressed involving their Personas.

Kasumi's 2nd tier Persona looks like a female version of Arsene. It basically has no purpose in the game other than to complete the evolution cycle because shortly after that, it levels up to its true form. The design is suspicious. That is too much of a coincidence. However, I can imagine it having a purpose elsewhere... in Smash.

Well, I do understand the difficulty of mobile. Super prone to unintentional misclicks. You can add text just through putting "=" after the word spoiler and type up what you wanna say.

I doubtthe 2nd tier would ever be used in Smash, but it does highlight how connected Kasumi and Joker are, which certainly helps with the argument of making her an echo.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I'm shocked no one has brought it up but there's actually something that could be used for Kasumi's school outfit as a substitute for her mask...

It's a massive spoiler however and even putting it in tags feels risky.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I'm shocked no one has brought it up but there's actually something that could be used for Kasumi's school outfit as a substitute for her mask...

It's a massive spoiler however and even putting it in tags feels risky.
I mentioned it in a PM, but that would be a pretty brazen move, even by Smash standards. I could also say a similar case for her potential Final Smash, as amazing as it would be.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I mentioned it in a PM, but that would be a pretty brazen move, even by Smash standards. I could also say a similar case for her potential Final Smash, as amazing as it would be.
Oh my god that would be amazing, it fits perfectly as a Final Smash but it also spoils a blatant major plot point so I’m not sure about that...

If anything I feel her Final Smash would be her ultimate attack from Star Ocean where she uses her Persona.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Oh my god that would be amazing, it fits perfectly as a Final Smash but it also spoils a blatant major plot point so I’m not sure about that...

If anything I feel her Final Smash would be her ultimate attack from Star Ocean where she uses her Persona.
I like how you could just tell what I was thinking for her Final Smash. It would be great and fit her character, but it would be spoilers to the max.

The idea of getting a FS from a phone game seems kinda unlikely.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I like how you could just tell what I was thinking for her Final Smash. It would be great and fit her character, but it would be spoilers to the max.

The idea of getting a FS from a phone game seems kinda unlikely.
Yeah I already pictured what you meant, it seems like a perfect fit but in terms of spoilers it makes pre-Smash 4 Shiek look subtle.

As for the second part, it’s honestly the only other fitting thing I could think of, since she doesn’t use All-Out Attack on her own.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Just because I know it's going to be a topic eventually, I don't think Kasumi is at risk of getting the Mai treatment. She is not anywhere close to Mai when it comes to her Phantom Thief outfit, which is just a normal gymnastic leotard. Censoring a normal piece of clothing built for athletics is kinda silly, as showcased by many when the outfit was revealed.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Just because I know it's going to be a topic eventually, I don't think Kasumi is at risk of getting the Mai treatment. She is not anywhere close to Mai when it comes to her Phantom Thief outfit, which is just a normal gymnastic leotard. Censoring a normal piece of clothing built for athletics is kinda silly, as showcased by many when the outfit was revealed.
introducing the smash character suitable for good boys and girls of all ages

royal1_c1_img2_e3b3733557b1d6a686f3b6e92c45dfea.png

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
y'all ready for crackpot theory time
i can't believe they added Violet without her brother Dash

1575660595544.png

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Thought it would be fitting to share this here.

Yes, there are comments that voice Kasumi for Smash.

Edit:
Figured to share this, considering that Byleth is the next character and all.
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Hopefully echo DLC will become a thing down the line, but things aren't looking super great now. Still, there is always a chance that Sakurai will surprise us with such a reveal.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Hello! I've beat Persona 5 Royal and am therefore back.

So... How are things going for everyone?

I guess I'll comment on the latest discussion, but I won't bother to quote the posts from November...

Given how they are now publicly calling her Violet in most crossover media (ex/ the Sword Art Online mobile game collabs), I imagine she'd just be called Violet in Smash Bros. It's not like Joker's school uniform form calls him Ren, so I don't see why every alt wouldn't just use her codename.

The fact that she opts to tie her hair back up at the end of her Confidant is both a logical parallelism in her character arc and great decision for future franchising haha. If she has a school uniform alt, I could see it just being that. Maybe she unties her hair when summoning her persona? That'd be a subtle way of hinting at her Sumire form without showing her in her glasses.

For her Final Smash, I have three ideas: (i) her showtime attack without the moment inside of her head, (ii) an All-Out Attack featuring the Joker/Crow/Violet trio, and (iii) a recreation of her apperance in the prologue of P5R.

As for her actual odds... I don't know. People are now speculating echo fighters due to the weird way they revealed an ARMS character. If we do get echo fighters during this DLC cycle, then I'd say she's very likely... but I also don't really expect echo fighters. I feel like it'd be kind of surprising if they decided to increase the amount of content coming with the final DLC wave when they've already expanded the pass to six characters? I'd be very happy if it'd happen though.

I hope Sakurai does comment on what happened to the ponytail file one day, if nothing else...

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Hello! I've beat Persona 5 Royal and am therefore back.

So... How are things going for everyone?

I guess I'll comment on the latest discussion, but I won't bother to quote the posts from November...

Given how they are now publicly calling her Violet in most crossover media (ex/ the Sword Art Online mobile game collabs), I imagine she'd just be called Violet in Smash Bros. It's not like Joker's school uniform form calls him Ren, so I don't see why every alt wouldn't just use her codename.

The fact that she opts to tie her hair back up at the end of her Confidant is both a logical parallelism in her character arc and great decision for future franchising haha. If she has a school uniform alt, I could see it just being that. Maybe she unties her hair when summoning her persona? That'd be a subtle way of hinting at her Sumire form without showing her in her glasses.

For her Final Smash, I have three ideas: (i) her showtime attack without the moment inside of her head, (ii) an All-Out Attack featuring the Joker/Crow/Violet trio, and (iii) a recreation of her apperance in the prologue of P5R.

As for her actual odds... I don't know. People are now speculating echo fighters due to the weird way they revealed an ARMS character. If we do get echo fighters during this DLC cycle, then I'd say she's very likely... but I also don't really expect echo fighters. I feel like it'd be kind of surprising if they decided to increase the amount of content coming with the final DLC wave when they've already expanded the pass to six characters? I'd be very happy if it'd happen though.

I hope Sakurai does comment on what happened to the ponytail file one day, if nothing else...
Doing fine. Nice to see a post in this thread after so long. Last year feels like an eternity ago right about now.

Yeah, her codename isn't as much of a problem as we thought it would be.

The hair element would be a neat way to reference, but not reveal the Sumire twist, though I am not sure if that is the way they would go.

All three of those could work, though having Joker appear in another persons FS is a tad strange. Sure, Chrom is in Robin's FS, but that FS predates his playability.

I haven't been keeping up with speculation as much as I used to, so why has ARMS pointed towards more echos for some people? I am also unsure of echo DLC, but more echos would make Kasumi extremely likely. Also, given the current circumstances of DLC development, I wonder how that would impact the creation of echo DLC.

I think everyone who has delved into this topic would love to know that, at least.

amageish

Smash Master
Doing fine. Nice to see a post in this thread after so long. Last year feels like an eternity ago right about now.

Yeah, her codename isn't as much of a problem as we thought it would be.

The hair element would be a neat way to reference, but not reveal the Sumire twist, though I am not sure if that is the way they would go.

All three of those could work, though having Joker appear in another persons FS is a tad strange. Sure, Chrom is in Robin's FS, but that FS predates his playability.

I haven't been keeping up with speculation as much as I used to, so why has ARMS pointed towards more echos for some people? I am also unsure of echo DLC, but more echos would make Kasumi extremely likely. Also, given the current circumstances of DLC development, I wonder how that would impact the creation of echo DLC.

I think everyone who has delved into this topic would love to know that, at least.
Yeah, the current circumstances of the world are... intense and definitely make all things feel distant.

Yeah, fair. It was built up as a secret a lot more during the pre-release phases. I kind of understand it, though they also avoid saying Sumire's name until you're in Maruki's palace and the puzzle pieces are starting to get put together.

I'm mostly just thinking of it as there was a very clean animation for her tying up her hair when she enters the palace with all the thieves for the first time haha. Granted, it'd be easier to just, like, not have her take anything away when summoning her persona....

Yeah, that is very fair... I mean, she could have a unique AoA for Smash with Akechi and the P5S crew, but that'd be odd when she isn't in P5S...

It's one of the theories about why the ARMS character was not revealed directly. Some have argued that ARMS characters would function better as echoes then alts, which is led to speculation about the idea that echo fighters will be sold a la (or possibly even in place of) Mii Costumes as additional DLC this time. I do not know if echo fighters would be priorities if they are already having to delay things, though I imagine any third-party echo fighters wouldn't be easily outright cancelled due to, well, contracts. I also feel like the notion of them feels a bit more optimistic about potential new content then I'm willing to be haha.

Kasumi would be a weird case though, as that ponytail fail indicated that there was a completed model... If she is going to be echo DLC, then I would have to assume she'd be soon.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Here is a fun watch for us Kasumi fans. Spoiler warning for those who have not beaten Persona 5 Royal though.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
I'd be happy if her and Crow would just appear in Joker's Final Smash, and a few songs came with it (Life Will Change, Take Over, I Believe, and Throw Away Your Mask), but I won't lie - I do love her and having her join would be amazing.

I don't see it, and she's not even in my Top 10 most wanted characters, even if she's one of my favorite characters of all time, but I would be very happy with best girl joining.

amageish

Smash Master
Here is a fun watch for us Kasumi fans. Spoiler warning for those who have not beaten Persona 5 Royal though.

That's really interesting! I had never considered a full on semi-clone moveset for her, frankly. It's a good presentation of a authentically gymnastics-themed variation on Joker. Definitely a fun hypothetical, though I do imagine it's one that will stay a hypothetical unless Smash Ultimate can manage a complete enhanced port/sequel-ish without losing anyone in the chaos that is licensing deals.

As for Kasumi's odds in 2020... I'm no longer expecting echoes in any form, frankly. I have no idea what happened to the ponytail file, but it may be confined to the dustbin of Smash speculation and we may never know. Alternatively, Sakurai may mention it one day in a column or interview, which would be nice for the sake of closure. Otherwise, my hope has effectively died at this point, which... kind of sucks.

And if she did someone get in as a full pack? Um. Well. I'd be happy, but I also can't say I'd "want" that. I think I care about P5 a bit too much to want to see what wrath it would face if it somehow got two packs in the DLC cycle haha.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Great Violet renders by Mutation Korno.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
PSA: Please ignore all my post and topics that were created before the COVID-19 pandemic. My opinions and thoughts have had major changes since the pandemic initiated. My behavior has now improved and I will not cause anymore trouble from now on.

All my posts from before the pandemic are now all outdated.
Although I would prefer Yu (Persona) over Kasumi, I just thought of cute nickname for the Persona protagonists, Joclones. Because Persona can be considered a Jojo clone.

Anyone who thinks Dragon Quest or Persona are obscure, should watch their language. Because they aren't obscure at all.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
What if Kasumi is a randomly patched in Joker alt with a different voice and FS animation like with AC Cloud?

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
What if Kasumi is a randomly patched in Joker alt with a different voice and FS animation like with AC Cloud?
That wouldn't really work because she wields a rapier and Cendrillon uses Bless attacks (so no Eiha/Eigaon).

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
I mean, it'd explain the ponytail file I guess, though that'd be one heck of a delayed alt at this point...

Unique FS animations for alts is a nice precedent for two-characters-in-one characters in future games though!

amageish

Smash Master

Happy Birthday Yoshizawa.

She's also the theme of this weekend's "ATLUS will acknowledge some posts about a topic" thing, so if you have any fanart or cosplay to do... then it may be a good time to post it!

Top Bottom