• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Phantom Thief of Persona 5 The Royal - Kasumi Yoshizawa/"Jane"

osby

Smash Obsessed
Happy 23th birthday of very first of Persona. Wild that it's credited in Smash for Aria of the Soul.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Anything new about P5 Royal Lately?
Not much, but I found this rather interesting.

Seriously, why is this the thing Atlus is being so secretive over in regard to P5R?

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
Maybe Kasumi doesn’t have a code name?

Every character’s code name is written in Katakana, Kasumi’s name is written with Hiragana and then also written in Katakana, so I can only assume Kasumi IS her codename

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

Every character’s code name is written in Katakana, Kasumi’s name is written with Hiragana and then also written in Katakana, so I can only assume Kasumi IS her codename
Wouldn't that be a bit weird though? I mean, codenames are a must for hiding your identity, which is why the PTs employ them right away for new members. The only reason I could see for Kasumi not getting one is if she doesn't want to hide who she is.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master

I mean... That is possible. Given what we know about her, it is possible that she doesn't like the Thieves hiding their identities. I feel like the Thieves would come up with something they use without her permission though?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I mean... That is possible. Given what we know about her, it is possible that she doesn't like the Thieves hiding their identities. I feel like the Thieves would come up with something they use without her permission though?
That and, while it is pretty much a requirement for Persona summoning, she's still wears a mask depite suposably being open in idenity. And it's not like she isn't fully comiting to the bit. She had a magical girl transformation after all.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Anything new about P5 Royal Lately?
There's a livestream on 27th of this month, you can find it on ATLUS's YouTube channel. Not sure if it'll have any new content, though.

Seriously, why is this the thing Atlus is being so secretive over in regard to P5R?
Because they weren't for Traitor's identity in vanilla P5. It's nice that they really want people to get in Royal somehow blind.

It's possible, but her name being written is hiragana is probably just to show her being girly. We also never saw Rise's (and Yukari's, iirc) proper name in kanji, only hiragana.

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
It's possible, but her name being written is hiragana is probably just to show her being girly. We also never saw Rise's (and Yukari's, iirc) proper name in kanji, only hiragana.
That’s not my point. My point is that her name appears twice, the second time being where all the other codenames are for the other characters, so maybe she doesn’t have a codename. You know what I mean?

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
That’s not my point. My point is that her name appears twice, the second time being where all the other codenames are for the other characters, so maybe she doesn’t have a codename. You know what I mean?
My bad.

I still think they just don't want to spoil her codename, calling it, it's Royal.

Even Morgana had a codename when he probably doesn't need it and is just a abbreviation of his name. Unless they're going to pull a Shinjiro with Kasumi, she's going to be a permanent feature in P5 and its spin-offs, so a codename to blend in with the rest of the team is kinda required.

Btw, you guys think Goro will continue using Crow?

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
My bad.

I still think they just don't want to spoil her codename, calling it, it's Royal.

Even Morgana had a codename when he probably doesn't need it and is just a abbreviation of his name. Unless they're going to pull a Shinjiro with Kasumi, she's going to be a permanent feature in P5 and its spin-offs, so a codename to blend in with the rest of the team is kinda required.

Btw, you guys think Goro will continue using Crow?
That’s a good point, it could just be something they’re hiding, but I totally wouldn’t rule out the idea of them deciding not to give her one, I would really like to know what it is though.

I don’t see any reason for them to swap Crow with something else, but I guess it’s technically possible that they would change it. (Pin image katakana said Crow btw)

amageish

Smash Master
Here's a fun question from Twitter...

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Obviously no games have really been as connected as P1/P2, but I could see them giving someone an expanded role in a P6 due to P5's popularity. The question would be who... Thoughts?

amageish

Smash Master
My hunch is that it could be either Makoto or Ann. Or pull a hat trick and make Futaba fully make the transition into playable.
Good choices! I feel like Futaba may actually make the most sense in a way, as a more socially-comfortable older Futaba with a fighting persona would be an easy way to include a fan-favourite character return without it feeling like a direct holdover...

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
In other Persona related news...
Elizabeth and Adachi are now in BBTAG. I was expecting Elizabeth, but Adachi was my big want. I am happy, especially with the interactions and potential story that will come with these new characters(Besides the Persona reps, there was Celica, Hilda, and Susanoo).

amageish amageish , I am ready when you are when it comes to BBTAG discussion.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Here's a fun question from Twitter...

Obviously no games have really been as connected as P1/P2, but I could see them giving someone an expanded role in a P6 due to P5's popularity. The question would be who... Thoughts?
I think Ryuji and Haru would work nicely, having kind of a "good cop, bad cop" dynamic.

As for whether I want it: I don't. I felt like it only worked in Persona 2 because there were so little party members and they need some filler before introducing the later ones. Also, if you didn't play the first game, there were a lot of confusion about what the hell they were talking about.

I'd rather have saving the crossovers for the spin-offs.

amageish

Smash Master
Elizabeth and Adachi are now in BBTAG. I was expecting Elizabeth, but Adachi was my big want. I am happy, especially with the interactions and potential story that will come with these new characters(Besides the Persona reps, there was Celica, Hilda, and Susanoo).

Woo-hoo! I was with friends and am pretty happy. One of said friends said he would buy the game if they added Adachi, so that is great. Another friend hasn't played Persona 4 yet, so I am hoping he has a bad memory...

Overall, good selection. The double-up on Persona is something I never would have predicted, but it makes some sense. It's the most popular non-BB franchise they have added that doesn't also require making new sprites, as RWBY would... Arcana Heart getting shafted sucks, but I'm still sastified.

How do you feel?

I think Ryuji and Haru would work nicely, having kind of a "good cop, bad cop" dynamic.

As for whether I want it: I don't. I felt like it only worked in Persona 2 because there were so little party members and they need some filler before introducing the later ones. Also, if you didn't play the first game, there were a lot of confusion about what the hell they were talking about.

I'd rather have saving the crossovers for the spin-offs.
Yeah, I get that. It would have to be handled incredibly carefully if they were to do it. I don't know if I actually want it, but I do think it is more possible then usual, depending on the angle P6 takes.

I definitely do still want a spin-off that uses the metric tonne of characters who end up working as cops in their epilogues. I don't know how it would mechanically work, but we got a lot of police officers, detectives, and lawyers now... It also would provide a chance to bring P1/2 characters back and only include the popular ones.

I also really want to play P2 again now...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

On the downside, if comments are any indication, some players are completely fed up with the game now.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...blazblue_cross_tag_battle_2_0_update_revealed

I definitely do still want a spin-off that uses the metric tonne of characters who end up working as cops in their epilogues. I don't know how it would mechanically work, but we got a lot of police officers, detectives, and lawyers now... It also would provide a chance to bring P1/2 characters back and only include the popular ones.

Given that, I want a crossover with the Silver Case universe so badly. Heck, one SMTverse game was about Internet investigation.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Woo-hoo! I was with friends and am pretty happy. One of said friends said he would buy the game if they added Adachi, so that is great. Another friend hasn't played Persona 4 yet, so I am hoping he has a bad memory...

Overall, good selection. The double-up on Persona is something I never would have predicted, but it makes some sense. It's the most popular non-BB franchise they have added that doesn't also require making new sprites, as RWBY would... Arcana Heart getting shafted sucks, but I'm still sastified.

How do you feel?
Ahh, the blessing and the curse of getting Adachi in the game. Fans across the world are pleased, yet anybody who knows little about P4 is spoiled hard.

Yeah, Persona getting two reps surprised me. It makes sense, but still. Also a bit surprised by the lack of Arcana Hearts, but it isn't a major blow in my mind.

You know me, I would always love more RWBY, but just Neo is still really good. I am really hopeful for the story of BBTAG with all of these new villains, as I think could lead to a more involving story.
On the downside, if comments are any indication, some players are completely fed up with the game now.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...blazblue_cross_tag_battle_2_0_update_revealed
I wouldn't take those comments as some consensus. From past experience, the comment section of articles can often be rather biased to one side.

osby

Smash Obsessed

P-Team doesn't exactly need a reason to bring back P1/P2 characters, because they really can't, seeing how Tadashi Satomi no longer works with them.

amageish

Smash Master
Ahh, the blessing and the curse of getting Adachi in the game. Fans across the world are pleased, yet anybody who knows little about P4 is spoiled hard.

Yeah, Persona getting two reps surprised me. It makes sense, but still. Also a bit surprised by the lack of Arcana Hearts, but it isn't a major blow in my mind.

You know me, I would always love more RWBY, but just Neo is still really good. I am really hopeful for the story of BBTAG with all of these new villains, as I think could lead to a more involving story.
Yuuuuuup. Definitely a double-edged edgelord to include. Granted, he also was spoiled in a dancing game's DLC, so you know... It's been long enough.

It definitely isn't Arcana Heartbreaking to me, but I am surprised by it. AH is definitely the second-most-niche franchise in the game, so maybe I shouldn't be surprised, but still...

I am very excited to see how the story plays out with all these evildoers wandering around for sure. Neo is amazing and I am very happy with her. I feel like RWBY is safe to get a lot more love in the future DLC though.

Frankly, a lot of the negativity I've seen about the news seem less like players and more like people who didn't like the idea of the game and still don't? Like, if you're still annoyed about the DLC approach and the reused sprites, then I don't think any new characters or updated mechanics will magically make you like the game... The point about the arcade mode is fair, but also those have somewhat fallen out of standard in fighting games in favour of story modes, which is being expanded by the DLC.

I also love the person saying ArcSys games are too complicated. BBTAG has two buttons for attacks, a switch button, and an assist button. Most characters have the same imputs for all their specials. I don't know how you would it to be made easier without it turning into SNK Heroines or something...

Given that, I want a crossover with the Silver Case universe so badly. Heck, one SMTverse game was about Internet investigation.
I'm not super familiar with Silver Case, but I'd be down for police content taking place in the form of a crossover. I do like the summoning of demons via the internet. It has been a fun set-up in the past and I wouldn't mind seeing it come back.

P-Team doesn't exactly need a reason to bring back P1/P2 characters, because they really can't, seeing how Tadashi Satomi no longer works with them.
I've heard that said several times, though it's not like most long-running JRPG franchises are overly concerned about reusing characters from games written by different authors. I know they don't have real incentive to bring anything from those games back (apart from the school uniforms and such as fanservice DLC), but still.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Yuuuuuup. Definitely a double-edged edgelord to include. Granted, he also was spoiled in a dancing game's DLC, so you know... It's been long enough.

It definitely isn't Arcana Heartbreaking to me, but I am surprised by it. AH is definitely the second-most-niche franchise in the game, so maybe I shouldn't be surprised, but still...

I am very excited to see how the story plays out with all these evildoers wandering around for sure. Neo is amazing and I am very happy with her. I feel like RWBY is safe to get a lot more love in the future DLC though.
I think this clip sums up Adachi spoilers pretty well.

Considering the fact that the most niche franchise her actually got two out of the gate though, it's still a little surprising.

Yeah, Neo being included over everyone else makes me rather hopeful. Sure, she's a fan favorite, but not some essential character for a RWBY roster. There is no way she would be the only addition.

Also, when it comes to bringing back characters, I feel like it would a nice gesture if past characters were brought back for new roles, but not as party members. I want the new team to shine on their own without the help of an old favorite.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
While we're on bringing back old things: can we get an equivalent of Vision Quest in Royal?

amageish

Smash Master
I think this clip sums up Adachi spoilers pretty well.

Considering the fact that the most niche franchise her actually got two out of the gate though, it's still a little surprising.

Yeah, Neo being included over everyone else makes me rather hopeful. Sure, she's a fan favorite, but not some essential character for a RWBY roster. There is no way she would be the only addition.
That is a good video about Adachi.

Yeah, it is still surprising. One of those characters was a tank though, which was a very successful marketing tactic in terms of getting random people's attention. I think the remaining 5 characters were all perfect choices, but I doubt we'll get all the reaction videos the tank got.

Agreed. I feel like we'll be getting more in some form.

Also, when it comes to bringing back characters, I feel like it would a nice gesture if past characters were brought back for new roles, but not as party members. I want the new team to shine on their own without the help of an old favorite.
That would be a good approach as well. I'm betting P6 will at least have a trip back to the P5 world, a la how Chihiro turned up in P4.

Actually, depending on how P5R places everyone at the end, the easiest character to return for a cameo may be Shiho, as she is off at another school that could have more things going on...

While we're on bringing back old things: can we get an equivalent of Vision Quest in Royal?
That would be fantastic! We do have that My Palace thing casually undefined, maybe something like that is housed there?

osby

Smash Obsessed
That would be a good approach as well. I'm betting P6 will at least have a trip back to the P5 world, a la how Chihiro turned up in P4.

Actually, depending on how P5R places everyone at the end, the easiest character to return for a cameo may be Shiho, as she is off at another school that could have more things going on...

That would be fantastic! We do have that My Palace thing casually undefined, maybe something like that is housed there?
A Tokyo trip in P6 is something I didn't know I needed.

Also I don't get why they hide My Palace so much. I can see it being super fun but it could just... there. Hope it's something substantial.

amageish

Smash Master
A Tokyo trip in P6 is something I didn't know I needed.

Also I don't get why they hide My Palace so much. I can see it being super fun but it could just... there. Hope it's something substantial.
I'd be kind of surprised if it didn't happen, unless P6 fundamentally flips the script and takes place in a fictional world and you can't get to earth. Some side-characters will probably cameo at least.

I have no idea why they're hiding it either... Hopefully it's interesting!

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
That is a good video about Adachi.

Yeah, it is still surprising. One of those characters was a tank though, which was a very successful marketing tactic in terms of getting random people's attention. I think the remaining 5 characters were all perfect choices, but I doubt we'll get all the reaction videos the tank got.

Agreed. I feel like we'll be getting more in some form.
It is. Have you seen it before or is this did you decide to look at the whole video outside of the clip?

I don't think they expected the tank the make the waves that it did.

Shiho would be a great character to bring back, considering her importance yet lack of confidant. Great to develop with another cast.

Question, what is Vision Quest? Is it some older element of Persona or Shin Megami Tensei?

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
It is. Have you seen it before or is this did you decide to look at the whole video outside of the clip?

I don't think they expected the tank the make the waves that it did.
I had seen the whole video before and did not realize you were linking to one clip from it. So, yes, I agree: Everyone kind of knows he's the big bad. I like how the video uses the art of him dancing evilly to make that point.

Idk. I feel like you would have to know it would get people talking to some extent, even if it was more successful then they anticipated. I almost wonder if they were partly influenced by the attention Pirahna Plant got.

Shiho would be a great character to bring back, considering her importance yet lack of confidant. Great to develop with another cast.
The fact she didn't get a confidant still kind of confuses me, honestly. It works how they wrote it, but she does feel like she could use some more buffing up.

Question, what is Vision Quest? Is it some older element of Persona or Shin Megami Tensei?
They are what Margaret runs in Persona 3 Portable. They are basically just super-hard missions with set parameters. They're kind of like mini-puzzle-game-things where you have to figure out the right elements to use to defeat the bosses before you die. They're neat.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I had seen the whole video before and did not realize you were linking to one clip from it. So, yes, I agree: Everyone kind of knows he's the big bad. I like how the video uses the art of him dancing evilly to make that point.

Idk. I feel like you would have to know it would get people talking to some extent, even if it was more successful then they anticipated. I almost wonder if they were partly influenced by the attention Pirahna Plant got.
It's a great analysis, I just always recall that clip whenever the Adachi reveal is brought up. And I think it's safe to say that it was around P4 Dancing when Adachi being the culprit just became open for the whole world to see.

The thing about Piranha Plant is that not all of that attention was positive. There are still plenty of people who hate everything that PP is. Blitztank seems to be much more praised in comparison, but I guess he just has the right amount of awesome ridiculousness. I do not doubt that aspect is part of the reason he got put in, even if we don't take PP into account.
The fact she didn't get a confidant still kind of confuses me, honestly. It works how they wrote it, but she does feel like she could use some more buffing up.
I thought they were just saving her for P5R, but while she does have a new role, it isn't as a confidant. It's rather odd.
They are what Margaret runs in Persona 3 Portable. They are basically just super-hard missions with set parameters. They're kind of like mini-puzzle-game-things where you have to figure out the right elements to use to defeat the bosses before you die. They're neat.
Cool. Does P5R new Challenge Battle work as an equivalent? I mean, it seems like they have similarities.
I wonder if Nanako could one day return as a party member
Doubt a party member, but it would be sweet to see a grown up Nanako someday.

amageish

Smash Master
It's a great analysis, I just always recall that clip whenever the Adachi reveal is brought up. And I think it's safe to say that it was around P4 Dancing when Adachi being the culprit just became open for the whole world to see.
Yeah, that is true. Also the cabbage memes around the time of Golden didn't help.

P-Team needs to stop giving their villains memeable foods if they don't want people to spoil their identities... Actually, the fact Kasumi eats a comedic amount of food every meal may be the best reason to think that she's evil...

The thing about Piranha Plant is that not all of that attention was positive. There are still plenty of people who hate everything that PP is. Blitztank seems to be much more praised in comparison, but I guess he just has the right amount of awesome ridiculousness. I do not doubt that aspect is part of the reason he got put in, even if we don't take PP into account.
That is very true. I recall the saltstorm, especially after the Grinch Leak... Blitztank is definitely a good balance of absurdism and goodness. It's apparently not actually a bad character moveset-wise either...

I thought they were just saving her for P5R, but while she does have a new role, it isn't as a confidant. It's rather odd.
Yeah, ditto. She was one of the safest bets for new content in P5R we had, but uh. Nope.

Cool. Does P5R new Challenge Battle work as an equivalent? I mean, it seems like they have similarities.

Yeah, actually. That is very similar. There are some major differences, but the core idea is basically a more free-form version of it, as you have secondary objectives and ways to earn more/less points instead of just the goal of defeating the bad guy... I completely forgot that was announced, honestly.

I wonder if Nanako could one day return as a party member
That would be cool, though picturing it in my head is almost disorientating... I suppose she has the angst for it.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Yeah, that is true. Also the cabbage memes around the time of Golden didn't help.

P-Team needs to stop giving their villains memeable foods if they don't want people to spoil their identities... Actually, the fact Kasumi eats a comedic amount of food every meal may be the best reason to think that she's evil...
I mean, lack of portion control is different from eating one kind of food, so maybe that is why there has been a lack of connection towards villain foods.

Yeah, actually. That is very similar. There are some major differences, but the core idea is basically a more free-form version of it, as you have secondary objectives and ways to earn more/less points instead of just the goal of defeating the bad guy... I completely forgot that was announced, honestly.
It was one of the less talked about things related to P5R, so forgetting about it isn't too shocking.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Okay, continuing the trend of random hypotheticals...

There has been speculation/poorly-sourced-rumours about PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale getting a sequel as a PS5 launch title. This rumor is full of red flags and is generally farcical, but it does make me think: If PS All-Stars returns, do we think ATLUS would get content in it? If so, who would be the character of choice?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Okay, continuing the trend of random hypotheticals...

There has been speculation/poorly-sourced-rumours about PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale getting a sequel as a PS5 launch title. This rumor is full of red flags and is generally farcical, but it does make me think: If PS All-Stars returns, do we think ATLUS would get content in it? If so, who would be the character of choice?
Doubt it. If Square Enix was not even apart of the original, I don't see Atlus getting in on a sequel. Not that it would happen anytime soon, of course.

amageish

Smash Master
Doubt it. If Square Enix was not even apart of the original, I don't see Atlus getting in on a sequel. Not that it would happen anytime soon, of course.
Fair. I am fairly certain that Final Fantasy (and also Crash Bandicoot) were franchises the devs wanted to include, but lacked the negotiating power to successfully obtain (with the original project lead telling a fan something vague like "It takes two to tango" when asked about it). I imagine that Sony, if they made the incredibly stupid and never-going-to-happen decision to resume their competition with Smash Bros, would learn from fan backlash to be willing to spend more on licensing (or whatever the case may be that prevented those deals from going through).

The only reason I think ATLUS would have a chance though is the odd inclusion of the OG Persona game (or Pur-sauna, as the English VAs pronounced it) in the PS Classic.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The latest State of Play still hasn't shown any improvement from the others.

If Sony teached me anything, it's that they seldom learn from their mistakes when imitating something (in this case, Directs).

If I was to assume which Persona character they'd pick, including the first game's protag over the later ones seems like just the kind of boneheaded move they would do.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master

If Sony teached me anything, it's that they seldom learn from their mistakes when imitating something (in this case, Directs).

If I was to assume which Persona character they'd pick, including the first game's protag over the later ones seems like just the kind of boneheaded move they would do.
It was nice to see smaller games get some time in the spotlight, but... yeah... It wasn't especially good.

Lol. If they did that, they better call him "Boy with Earring" on the character select screen. Best canonical "name" ever. Though, honestly, Tamaki Uchida is basically the first Persona protagonist and she would be genuinely awesome...

Seriously, Shin Megami Tensei If is literally canon to P1/2. I don't see how it isn't seen as being Persona 0.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101

The Last of Us Part 2 and Gorn sold it for me. Everything else was boring, but damn if those weren't hype.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Hey, we got the renders for Elizabeth and Adchi for BBTAG.

Really like how they decided to include their Personas in the render, considering how essential they are to the character. Kinda now wish that Joker got something similar in Smash, but perhaps that would be a bit to much for a Smash render. Kasumi is for sure not getting this type of render if she gets in.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Kinda now wish that Joker got something similar in Smash, but perhaps that would be a bit to much for a Smash render. Kasumi is for sure not getting this type of render if she gets in.
He kinda did, though.

1569386304767.png

Top Bottom