• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Phantom Thief of Persona 5 The Royal - Kasumi Yoshizawa/"Jane"

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
Good to know. I don't think it's going to be Morgana next, as he was the first party member you got and we have already gotten the two party members that came after(Ryuji and Ann). It feels like they are purposefully skipping over him for now.
Morgana goes after Ann on the Persona 5 website

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
EarlTamm EarlTamm had asked me what I thought about Kasumi in Smash, so I thought it would be best to just go ahead and post here to give the thread a little bump and see where my thoughts might take the thread.

The whole Jane issue surrounding Joker I find incredibly intriguing, if for nothing more than why would she have been there in the first place? Prior to The Royal's reveal, I was completely with people on the idea that we'd get a Female MC in another version of Persona 5 thanks to the return of Persona 3's MC in Q2 and just how many people seem to generally clamor for such an idea. I still think it's a great idea that Atlus should have gone for since it potentially changes so much of the game and relationships up, but alas, here we are. When they revealed Kasumi as just another member of the Phantom Thieves (Well, probably not quite just another member, but certainly not a Female MC level of new character), I was extremely confused as to how her new role could ever be considered for an Alt for Joker. I mean, you could intentionally do a lot of things with Kasumi to make her a very big part of Royal's narrative, especially given that the game will feature a brand new trimester. But at the same time, I remember Marie from Golden, and despite being one of the few to very much love her, Atlus did not do a particularly great job of integrating their new character in Golden.

While I suspect Kasumi will take many of the lessons learned from Marie and Golden to become a properly fleshed out and integrated character that directly impacts gameplay and story, we still don't know exactly how much she'll actually tie into the game yet. I don't know where she'd be introduced in the story quite yet, but one would assume early on given that she seems to function very much as one of the main, new features in The Royal. If she was considered for Smash, I'd almost wager that she has to play a substantial role in the game. It's the only way the Jane file in the Joker data really makes any sense. As to what her role will be? I have no idea. I'm still working on Persona 5 right now and while I'm aware that Golden added a lot of stuff, The Royal really seems to be going above and beyond the QoL improvements and additions that game did.

Will be see Kasumi in Smash though? That's a much more difficult question for me to answer. If they got as close to completion as people think that they did, I don't see any reason why they couldn't just drop her at a later point. Costume DLC for existing characters has never been a thing, but I don't see any reason it couldn't be and would be the simplest way to make sure that the work done on her actually went somewhere. Then again, she might also be retooled into an Echo for release later down the road. Sakurai seems to be an absolutely massive fan of Persona 5 in general, and I'd imagine he'd be ecstatic for not only The Royal, but potentially the opportunity to play a bigger role in that game's success and future. I'm sure that Atlus has almost no reason to turn down any opportunities to further the Persona franchise, so they'd likely be incredibly happy to work out a deal with Sakurai to release an Echo closer to the launch of The Royal. Though again, we haven't seen as much of Kasumi as I would like to really speculate on how she'd work as an Echo. I don't think the Persona would be too much of an issue since Arsene doesn't directly interact with players anyway, and there's no reason for her to appear too differently from Joker, so I'll say for now that she could work as one.

I think it just comes down to a question of, What is Kasumi's role in Persona 5 The Royal, and does it warrant Kasumi as playable in Smash? If she's not as relevant to the story and The Royal as we think, I'd definitely get the sense that they were adding an Echo just to be adding an Echo. Which isn't really a problem, but is just kind of odd when there are still several options for Echo fighters available. But if she plays a bigger role in the game, then I think there's a much more compelling argument to see her inclusion in Ultimate as part of the Persona 5 name.

I've thought that there was a good chance for there to be some extra Echoes that show up at some point. They seem like such an easy win for Sakurai and people are pretty much foaming at the mouth to see more content in Ultimate. I do think when the Fighter's Pass concludes, that will be the end of major content updates for the game though, so it's about a 7 month window til then. If we're going to get her as an Echo or Echoes period, I would suspect them in that time period. Probably near the end honestly as I could see a Smash Bros. Final Direct like we got with Smash 4. I can't say I'm super keen on her chances for getting in, but I more than welcome any additional Persona representation in the game, and she'd be a really cool Echo to have. I think we'll really understand more about her chances once we know more about her haha.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
EarlTamm EarlTamm had asked me what I thought about Kasumi in Smash, so I thought it would be best to just go ahead and post here to give the thread a little bump and see where my thoughts might take the thread.

The whole Jane issue surrounding Joker I find incredibly intriguing, if for nothing more than why would she have been there in the first place? Prior to The Royal's reveal, I was completely with people on the idea that we'd get a Female MC in another version of Persona 5 thanks to the return of Persona 3's MC in Q2 and just how many people seem to generally clamor for such an idea. I still think it's a great idea that Atlus should have gone for since it potentially changes so much of the game and relationships up, but alas, here we are. When they revealed Kasumi as just another member of the Phantom Thieves (Well, probably not quite just another member, but certainly not a Female MC level of new character), I was extremely confused as to how her new role could ever be considered for an Alt for Joker. I mean, you could intentionally do a lot of things with Kasumi to make her a very big part of Royal's narrative, especially given that the game will feature a brand new trimester. But at the same time, I remember Marie from Golden, and despite being one of the few to very much love her, Atlus did not do a particularly great job of integrating their new character in Golden.

While I suspect Kasumi will take many of the lessons learned from Marie and Golden to become a properly fleshed out and integrated character that directly impacts gameplay and story, we still don't know exactly how much she'll actually tie into the game yet. I don't know where she'd be introduced in the story quite yet, but one would assume early on given that she seems to function very much as one of the main, new features in The Royal. If she was considered for Smash, I'd almost wager that she has to play a substantial role in the game. It's the only way the Jane file in the Joker data really makes any sense. As to what her role will be? I have no idea. I'm still working on Persona 5 right now and while I'm aware that Golden added a lot of stuff, The Royal really seems to be going above and beyond the QoL improvements and additions that game did.

Will be see Kasumi in Smash though? That's a much more difficult question for me to answer. If they got as close to completion as people think that they did, I don't see any reason why they couldn't just drop her at a later point. Costume DLC for existing characters has never been a thing, but I don't see any reason it couldn't be and would be the simplest way to make sure that the work done on her actually went somewhere. Then again, she might also be retooled into an Echo for release later down the road. Sakurai seems to be an absolutely massive fan of Persona 5 in general, and I'd imagine he'd be ecstatic for not only The Royal, but potentially the opportunity to play a bigger role in that game's success and future. I'm sure that Atlus has almost no reason to turn down any opportunities to further the Persona franchise, so they'd likely be incredibly happy to work out a deal with Sakurai to release an Echo closer to the launch of The Royal. Though again, we haven't seen as much of Kasumi as I would like to really speculate on how she'd work as an Echo. I don't think the Persona would be too much of an issue since Arsene doesn't directly interact with players anyway, and there's no reason for her to appear too differently from Joker, so I'll say for now that she could work as one.

I think it just comes down to a question of, What is Kasumi's role in Persona 5 The Royal, and does it warrant Kasumi as playable in Smash? If she's not as relevant to the story and The Royal as we think, I'd definitely get the sense that they were adding an Echo just to be adding an Echo. Which isn't really a problem, but is just kind of odd when there are still several options for Echo fighters available. But if she plays a bigger role in the game, then I think there's a much more compelling argument to see her inclusion in Ultimate as part of the Persona 5 name.

I've thought that there was a good chance for there to be some extra Echoes that show up at some point. They seem like such an easy win for Sakurai and people are pretty much foaming at the mouth to see more content in Ultimate. I do think when the Fighter's Pass concludes, that will be the end of major content updates for the game though, so it's about a 7 month window til then. If we're going to get her as an Echo or Echoes period, I would suspect them in that time period. Probably near the end honestly as I could see a Smash Bros. Final Direct like we got with Smash 4. I can't say I'm super keen on her chances for getting in, but I more than welcome any additional Persona representation in the game, and she'd be a really cool Echo to have. I think we'll really understand more about her chances once we know more about her haha.
Thanks for this statement. Always look forward to these sort of things.

When it comes to her story role, While we haven't gotten too much about it, I think we can safely say she is playing some big role. Her whole "I was the one who crushed that dream" bit is rather notable due to the wish granting shenanigans that are going about. While it's more on subtle side, the fact that her outfit design is so similar to Joker's(As well as her Persona being similar in body type) makes me think there is going to be some notable connection. The fact that the marketing is also really laying on thick the "friend or foe?" element also feels like an indicator. I think she will have a similar level of importance to Akechi. I also recall her being introduced at least decently early, as I think people have linked certain meetings to a time frame or something.

I think echo treatment would be much more probable than as a costume. While Arsene and Cendrillon could share a lot of elements, I think Eiha is a big deal breaker. Outside of moves and such, they would also likely echo her due to her personality differences from Joker, as well as her non-protag status(That fact affected his victory screens, which would not fit Kasumi). Peach and Daisy have very little differences in gameplay, but Daisy's echo status allowed her spunk to shine through.

I personally believe that there will be more beyond the fighter pass, but I do agree that echo DLC would be on the later side of this pass. If there is no major DLC beyond the fighter pass, I think they would need to release the echo's between character 4 and 5, as I doubt many people would like Smash DLC to end on echo's. If there is more than one pass, I could see echo DLC being used in between the passes as something smaller to sell and tide people over.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
damn that was fast

yusuke showing off the sayuri in public is extremely suspect and makes me think dream world where it can get the attention he thinks it deserves

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
damn that was fast

yusuke showing off the sayuri in public is extremely suspect and makes me think dream world where it can get the attention he thinks it deserves
I guess I was correct in thinking that they would skip Morgana. I imagine something is up with him when it comes to this whole wish granting thing. I imagine these trailers won't release any faster than the gap between this trailer and Ryuji, as this is the sort of thing you would want to space out a bit.

Yusuke showing off Sayuri is definitely very suspect. For one, while it was never really highlighted, I would think his wish would be similar to Futaba in that his Mom would still be alive, not that this art piece would get attention. I also fear that these wishes are going to bring out some nasty sides of our party members, especially when someone eventually brings up the idea of reversing them.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I can't believe I didn't know this existed. Add me to the supporter list!

Quoting this because it is good to see in this thread.
Now that it is translated, what are y'alls thoughts on it?
I guess I was correct in thinking that they would skip Morgana. I imagine something is up with him when it comes to this whole wish granting thing. I imagine these trailers won't release any faster than the gap between this trailer and Ryuji, as this is the sort of thing you would want to space out a bit.

Yusuke showing off Sayuri is definitely very suspect. For one, while it was never really highlighted, I would think his wish would be similar to Futaba in that his Mom would still be alive, not that this art piece would get attention. I also fear that these wishes are going to bring out some nasty sides of our party members, especially when someone eventually brings up the idea of reversing them.
Wait, wishes? Wow there is a lot I have missed out on when it comes to speculation. Can someone gimme the short version?

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I can't believe I didn't know this existed. Add me to the supporter list!
Done.
Now that it is translated, what are y'alls thoughts on it?
I am sure we talked about the translation, didn't we? If not, that's surprising.
Wait, wishes? Wow there is a lot I have missed out on when it comes to speculation. Can someone gimme the short version?
Pretty much, all of the Phantom Thieves are getting things they want, but should be impossible to get. That with a comment Morgana makes in the main trailer about granting wishes and Kasumi's whole crushing dream thing, this seems to be the direction the story is moving in.

amageish

Smash Master
In terms of P5R speculation?

The new villain of the third term seems to grant wishes, which Morgana objects to in the debut trailer. Kasumi also calls herself "the one who crushed that dream" and various thieves are shown in atypical scenarios that seem to defy reality as we know it (Morgana as human, Futaba with her mother, Yusuke showing off Sayuri, and Ann complimenting Shiho on her active vollyball carrier).

General theory is someone is granting wishes to appease the thieves and stop them from theif-ing. This could also splinter the thieves, as we know Kasumi awakes to her persona in a new palace only accompanied by Joker and Morgana.

That's about it?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
So, how long do you guys think it will take for the Makoto trailer to release? I imagine we will see another team attack and her wish, just like the others. Likely no third tier Persona, as I think it being showcased in Ryuji's trailer was just to show it was a thing before holding back the rest.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
So, how long do you guys think it will take for the Makoto trailer to release? I imagine we will see another team attack and her wish, just like the others. Likely no third tier Persona, as I think it being showcased in Ryuji's trailer was just to show it was a thing before holding back the rest.
Probably next week or the week after.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think it will be within the next week. I am rather glad with the fast pace of these, as I'm curious what they are going to do past Haru for obvious reasons.
I'd say trailers for other Confidants, but I don't think they'll give them anything new.

More dedicated trailers for story and mechanics would be cool and we might just not get anything at all after that. ATLUS can be weird with marketing.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I'm not betting on it, but I'm hoping that Morgana ends up getting a character trailer. Easily my favorite Phantom Thief.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I'd say trailers for other Confidants, but I don't think they'll give them anything new.

More dedicated trailers for story and mechanics would be cool and we might just not get anything at all after that. ATLUS can be weird with marketing.
I was more thinking along the lines of Akechi and Morgana, but Confidants are interesting. They could have all the Confidants wishes granted as well(I imagine this phenomenon is not limited to just the Thieves), but I have no clue how that would affect things. I doubt they would do them all individually, but I am sure they will do a trailer for the new Confidant. I guess an Akechi and Morgana trailer would probably be a bit more story related.

osby

Smash Obsessed
It's showtime.
Let's get going.
So... we have active skills via accessories and more advantages for multiple Baton Touches. It's a good thing that game rewards you more for more preparation.

Also, Showtime is a kick*** name.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
So... we have active skills via accessories and more advantages for multiple Baton Touches. It's a good thing that game rewards you more for more preparation.

Also, Showtime is a kick*** name.
Since I don't own a PS4, I had to watch a Let's Play, so I know little to nothing about stats and moves etc., but this does sound good for people who want a more tactical approach.

Also yes, it is.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
now look at this poster that i just found
as if there were any doubt that kasumi is 110% the marketing face of this game

1563036024529.png

interestingly, the game's been bumped up from a PEGI 16 to an 18 here in the UK from the original

wonder if that was for kasumi's design alone or for something else in the third semester

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
now look at this poster that i just found
as if there were any doubt that kasumi is 110% the marketing face of this game

View attachment 231141

interestingly, the game's been bumped up from a PEGI 16 to an 18 here in the UK from the original

wonder if that was for kasumi's design alone or for something else in the third semester
They probably knew about Kasumi's design prior, so I doubt it was her.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Quoting this because of obvious reasons.

At least that's something to look forward to.
Wonder what it'll be?

D

Deleted member

I’m pretty interested i'm checking P5 out but I’m pretty noob-ey. What consoles is it on?

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
D

Deleted member

EDIT: nvm ratings lol

Last edited by a moderator:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, I wonder if they would somehow find a way to reveal Kasumi(Or echo fighters in general) alongside an actual unique character. I am thinking back to the Lucina/Robin and Ken/Incineroar trailers in this regard. I imagine the unique character in question would have to have some connection to Kasumi though, as that is the common thread these sort of reveals have.

osby

Smash Obsessed
You know, I wonder if they would somehow find a way to reveal Kasumi(Or echo fighters in general) alongside an actual unique character. I am thinking back to the Lucina/Robin and Ken/Incineroar trailers in this regard. I imagine the unique character in question would have to have some connection to Kasumi though, as that is the common thread these sort of reveals have.
Not necessarily. Ken and Incineroar only share superficial similarities. For example, you can reveal her along with Phoenix Wright, who would try and make her pay for her "crimes".

I wish he had more joint reveals for fighters from different universes, it really feels like embracing the crossover aspect of Smash.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
the dream is full CG alongside another reveal

the reality is probably just a joker-style animated trailer because the precedent is there and it also means not having to dedicate a full CG trailer to an echo

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

the reality is probably just a joker-style animated trailer because the precedent is there and it also means not having to dedicate a full CG trailer to an echo
OR they could just do a gameplay only trailer like Piranha Plant if Kasumi is standalone DLC like she probably will be

They said no Echoes in the pass but said nothing about individual dlc

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Not necessarily. Ken and Incineroar only share superficial similarities. For example, you can reveal her along with Phoenix Wright, who would try and make her pay for her "crimes".

I wish he had more joint reveals for fighters from different universes, it really feels like embracing the crossover aspect of Smash.
Great idea! I was thinking that they could have her in a joint reveal for Doomguy just because of gun and the whole demon and angel element(Which Doom Eternal seemingly delving deeper with the latter, so Kasumi having a Persona that invokes angelic traits seems fitting), but that would be cool as well. I will say, Doomguy tearing through shadows rather than physical demons would be a clever way of avoiding gore while still getting the feel of the character.

Well, that's the thing. If she is joined with the reveal of unique character, your hitting two birds with one stone.

amageish

Smash Master
I guess it would depend on how echo DLC worked and if it was selling for hgih enough a price to merit making CG advertisements. I wouldn't count it on though, given how casually Daisy, Dark Samus, and Chrom were revealed.

I also, personally, imagine Kasumi as a "Buy both the Fighter's Pass and the Echo Fighter's Pass to get this BONUS character" deal as well (thereby solving the awkward problem of Kasumi effectively being a cheaper way to buy Joker), which I feel would lower her probability of getting a major trailer further.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I guess it would depend on how echo DLC worked and if it was selling for hgih enough a price to merit making CG advertisements. I wouldn't count it on though, given how casually Daisy, Dark Samus, and Chrom were revealed.

I also, personally, imagine Kasumi as a "Buy both the Fighter's Pass and the Echo Fighter's Pass to get this BONUS character" deal as well (thereby solving the awkward problem of Kasumi effectively being a cheaper way to buy Joker), which I feel would lower her probability of getting a major trailer further.
Well, note that only echoes who got CGI trailers were third party ones.

StormC

Smash Hero

Locking a character behind a Fighters Pass seems like a move that would be pretty controversial.

Top Bottom