• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The new Nair and butchered Down tilt?

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
So I used to be a Mewtwo main in smash 4 and I like to consider myself one of the better mewtwo's where I lived, not that it matters. Anywhom so I noticed a bit of problems surrounding his new changes in this game especially revolving his nair and dtilt, let's start with nair.

OH BOY THE NEW NAIR:
So, the old nair in smash 4 is kind of infamous for its rather numerous followups as well as its hilariously long duration. this move made his neutral very hard to tamper with for some characters as they would just be caught in the stream of hitboxes and either comboed or gimped, this move was great, coupled with its 6 frame ending lag made punishing it quite a chore. In smash ultimate however, they changed this quite a lot. They shortened its duration and gave it more ending lag, less ideal for full hops but more useful for short hops I suppose. However this isn't where I have problems with the move, the problems I have come in its stupid hitboxes. You see, to keep the opponent in the move the hitboxes kind of ping pong the opponent around until the final hit, this would not be a problem, HOWEVER, the problem lies in the trajectory and the last hit, sometimes the opponent gets launched forwards, which is good that's where you want them to be especially if you're drifting towards them, but SOMETIMES it sends them backwards, even if they were being carried forwards, and mewtwo was facing forwards, this happened in smash 4 but at least the low endlag let you combo out of it, in this game you'd be lucky to get a dash attack. Because the lack of as many hits and much longer endlag you can hardly combo out of it from fullhop length. the biggest problem though? The lack of indicators the move will give you to tell you they're going to be launched a certain way. You could be stringing them along and the opponent is in front of you the whole way though. then the last hit comes out, you get ready for that forward air or dash attack, ftilt follow up whatever is your cup of tea, and it sends them backwards because a small portion of their hurtbox clipped into a hurtbox on mewtwo's backside, this single handedly made me drop mewtwo for a little while because it's so freaking annoying and why they haven't fixed it yet I don't know. Onto the second one.

DTILT SUCKS NOW ITS FUN
We all know down tilt, the dilt infamous for being this long ranged disjointed sweep move that comboed into almost everything in Mewtwo's kit, this move was one of the best moves in all of smash 4 for its stupidly good range for such a fast combo option. In this game it's still good but that extra three frames of endlag really messes up the follow ups at times. Things like dtilt to DJ Upair becomes a lot more strict. But that's not the main problem, the main problem comes from the hurtbox on his tail. You can just smack his tail now instead of having to respect the move. This hurtbox is the reason many people rag on mewtwo that he's bad or whatever nowadays and I can kind of see that. Though even with the nerfs this move is still great despite me saying it sucks

yknowlikenia

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5495 6606 4304
well, basically every character is in a very different spot than they were. i think if you're having issues with mewtwo then you should erase your concept of how he "should" play, from your smash 4 days!
i've been playing a lot of mewtwo lately, and the most recent patch fixed the biggest issues he'd had, especially his tail hurtbox. mewtwo isn't a top tier character in this game, but he's certainly not awful, just plays differently. if you look at him as his own package and don't compare him to what he used to be, then he's a lot of fun!

D

Deleted member

Last edited by a moderator:

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
well, basically every character is in a very different spot than they were. i think if you're having issues with mewtwo then you should erase your concept of how he "should" play, from your smash 4 days!
i've been playing a lot of mewtwo lately, and the most recent patch fixed the biggest issues he'd had, especially his tail hurtbox. mewtwo isn't a top tier character in this game, but he's certainly not awful, just plays differently. if you look at him as his own package and don't compare him to what he used to be, then he's a lot of fun!
Does he play THAT much differently in ultimate compared to smash 4

D

Deleted member

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Yes. Sure a few things are similar, like using a ton of SB, D-tilt and Nair, staying offstage a lot and being comfortable there, a bait and punish gameplay style, strong punishes, etc.

However the context these are used in when putting together it's Ultimate neural game, is faaaaaaar and away very different from it's S4 counter-part. I'm working on a how to play Ultimate Mewtwo Guide if your curious on more information.
Yes please

D

Deleted member

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
See the issue is it isn't quite finished at the moment lol... it'll take awhile to get done since this will be the character guide to end all guide's. I CAN make a decently sized thread on how to effectively play Ultimate Mewtwo so that people will have reference while I get the true document ready. Would you like that instead? I can get to work on it tomorrow.
Either works

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Thread it is. That doc is a year long project easy. I'll get to work on it. It will be pretty extensive too. Not nearly as extensive as the actual doc but enough. Give me to about 5P.M. to 7P.M. for it to be done.
Whenever really, I have time

Top Bottom