• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New(est) Official 2012 Florida PR (Googling is Fun)

Status
Not open for further replies.

B_AWAL

Smash Master
I STILL dont see a reason to NOT have a PR besides

1.) Its Stupid
2.) Lower ranking players might stress out about losing thier PR spots & unranked players are going to want to be on the PR.

:sonic:

Queen B. Kyon

Smash Master
Most people that don't go out of state want the pr XD

Here how about this. Since basically all the pr players could care less just take them off and let these other people make what they want. Obviously of state players already know who is good in Florida by now. I just feeltthinthings are already set in stone now. Just ready for the next game already lol

Two-Ell

Smash Master
The only reason I'd agree to for keeping it is Keith's. You should be focusing on beating the solid players not getting your name on a list. This breeds a 'I'll just aim for top 4/8' mentality instead of going for the top like you should. People get hella complacent once they get their names on anyway. It's happened a dozen times for everyone below #5. Also like Kyon says, the people that do want it hardly travel out of state(if at all).

plus no one wants to say it, but it's a pain in the ass to update this(at least for people whose opinions would be really relevant to this). Aint nobody got time to collect months of results(things are kinda dead anyway) and make something that's gonna be looked at for two seconds and argued over for a week. It's a waste of time that will never make anyone, especially you, happy. Look for better motivation, focus on improving your play and placing high.

:rosalina:

OverLade

Smash Hero
Sooooon you're lucky I got triple Jeaporshaky'd, otherwise I was gonna zip you upppppppppppp

But GGs lawl <3

edit:L
Where my spoilers at tho?

Master Raven

Smash Master
My voice is ****ing destroyed

Yeah Tampa has gotten respectable and improved, which brings up something I want to say/rant: I have big, big problem, and it's matchup knowledge. I'm a generally good and smart player, I know how to punish and capitalize on mistakes and openings (most of the time), I have pretty good reaction time (if I don't **** up my button inputs which I probably do more than anyone else in FL rofl), and you can bet I will almost certainly beat you if you're not equal to or above my level.

But I don't know my matchups. I know MK, and that's only because I play friendlies consistently with just Seibrik. I'm kind of pissed at myself lately because I keep losing to Nick Riddle and MVD at virtually every tourney I've attended in the past year up til now. Yet, I never feel like I learn from those losses. I could have better chances if I played those two a lot more often in friendlies practice (and MMs maybe), but I also think we can learn a thing from Tampa and start hosting Smashfests more often, perhaps at Flippers or someone's house. And that brings up my next point: Tampa players are improving all across the board. There's a nice equilibrium in terms of skill level, at least from what I've observed. Yeah, SFL still has the best pool of players in terms of skill overall, but I feel there's a much larger disparity between the top players and the "regulars" (I prefer that term to randoms, cause randoms to me sound like people who just dabble at the game). Can we capitalize on the success of AO and really roll from there with more non-tournament events? I feel it would benefit the SFL community greatly, both top players and regulars.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
I was talking to GOG in the car on the way home.
I spoke about how I wanted to start holding smashfests.
My house, AO, ZP, Flippers, I don't care where, but it needs to happen... And the best players need to not go there only caring about themselves.

If this happens, I do want to play other top FL players, but I will also sit down with people and try to teach them how to combat ZSS, give them advice from how I see the game, and I'm sure Seibrik/MVD would do the same. We just have to make an effort to increase EVERYBODY'S skill level instead of just ours.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Bro, back before I could teach I couldn't help anybody anyway.
Just like you didn't until you came back from DC~
<3

DewDaDash

Smash Lord
I was talking to GOG in the car on the way home.
I spoke about how I wanted to start holding smashfests.
My house, AO, ZP, Flippers, I don't care where, but it needs to happen... And the best players need to not go there only caring about themselves.

If this happens, I do want to play other top FL players, but I will also sit down with people and try to teach them how to combat ZSS, give them advice from how I see the game, and I'm sure Seibrik/MVD would do the same. We just have to make an effort to increase EVERYBODY'S skill level instead of just ours.
Im not paying for classes though....

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
****** gotta pay door fee if it's at a venue.
Plus, I don't believe in Smash classes, they're too broad for most people. I would hold a Smashfest, and help whomever I'm playing with things I believe they could improve upon.
(Teach Master Raven the ZSS MU, and teach him my top-tier theorycrafting in other MUs, try to help people who suck OOS with their options, etc. etc.)

8Bitman

Smash Master
Smashfests are one thing, but the main fault for the lack of an array of skill in SFL is the distance, lack of communication and lack of able drivers.

In CFL, majority of the individuals have cars and/or live near each other. The amount of days we can meet up are abundant, yet the able and willing to drive are not. In SFL the closest anyone it to a "pro" is 30 minutes, yet there is no communication and able driving.

Now that I finally have my license I will be more than willing to hold smashfests at my place, and drive to any one's house for one. I too will pick up those who want practice. This is necessary for us to get better as a region, or the good will stay good and the bad will stay bad.

DewDaDash

Smash Lord
the week i was in miami in spring break, I managed to play seibrik and nickriddle for a good amount of time. I didnt have much trouble, confused as to why you arent able to when u live 30 minutes away.

And the smash classes thing was a joke =P. Although given seibriks skill level, I'd be willing to teach him the mk vs ics mu, free of charge ;)

OverLade

Smash Hero
Bro, back before I could teach I couldn't help anybody anyway.
Just like you didn't until you came back from DC~
<3
Misconstruationnnnnn and slanderrrrrr

I've been training people for ages in Tampa (and with pretty good results), it's just recently that a lot of it is paying off big time. It's the effort I put into trying to improve my region that counted moreso than the end results (Which tbh I'm pretty happy to see though lol).

The easy part is just being inviting to people (Even if you trash talk them let them know you want them to stay in the scene lol). Actually teaching people at worst is just playing them and giving them tips/explaining the cheesier gimmicks.

Sandtru27

Smash Lord
So funny that Jacksonville has smashfests everyday but the skill gaps and competitive drives are so large/diff. that just about everyone sucks.

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
the classes i'm developing aren't intended for use by any players of a moderate->pro skill level

i'm trying to target more of the casual players interested in getting into competative play, that way we have more players that can actually sit down with us in 1v1 situations and learn something from it, instead of not knowing wtf to look for/how to learn

maybe one day i'll have classes that are able to teach more things to better players, i just feel at a certain point in ones skill you figure out your weaknesses and how to improve upon them yourself, u don't need me telling you what u need to learn

Sandtru27

Smash Lord
Wario Class

1. Grow balls
2. Foward smash everything (including after get-ups)
3. Fart every 58 seconds
4. Be water, my friend.

yos

Smash Cadet
Misconstruationnnnnn and slanderrrrrr

I've been training people for ages in Tampa (and with pretty good results), it's just recently that a lot of it is paying off big time. It's the effort I put into trying to improve my region that counted moreso than the end results (Which tbh I'm pretty happy to see though lol).

The easy part is just being inviting to people (Even if you trash talk them let them know you want them to stay in the scene lol). Actually teaching people at worst is just playing them and giving them tips/explaining the cheesier gimmicks.
he helped me out so much nd so has cj :o
and i doubt ill b on pr dis season ill b 10th if im lucky :o

ALSO MY BOIII TRUMP AND LADE ****** PR GOOD ****

also rly shocked miami is trying to improve not saying u guys r bad but like tking it more srs dan a joke , also mastr raven i teach u falco MU like i taught zhmt :o

Mampam

Smash Ace
too many people have been working their asses off in order to see their name on the PR so just cause you may not care about it doesnt mean others don't

the whole idea of the PR exists for a reason, its what many smashers aim for, therefore its unfair to say that we shouldnt update it just cause a few people who've been on it several times dont care to update it

and the idea of not updating the PR for reasons like "we can make oosers think they are losing to randoms"
i dont agree with, cause for one thing, how many players want to be considered randoms by anyone? i'd feel disrespected if i beat someone and they thought they lost to a random

being on the PR, its like having a degree almost, if people see your results they'll give you respect, thats just how **** works =/

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Then somebody who gives a **** should compile a list of every tournament in FL since the last PR period.

P.I.E.

Smash Ace
I'll help if no one's really going to do it, but don't you need a panel? Who's going to be on the panel?

As a scrub, seeing the PR's up there and changing gives me hope. If I aim to be a top player, it's a milestone to not only make the list, but ascend it. This thought motivates people like me, and I grew a large group of local smashers around myself due to this drive. Teaching others about the smash community, and making them a challenge toward myself in order to help me train as well. To move from the local level, to the cfl level, to the PR's and then onwards is a part of the struggle, and taking away would hurt.
I won't know if I'm ready for anything bigger if there's no PR's to ascend, and the whole reason I'd started tournies (Opening lyrics to the original pokemon theme), so I'd like someone to kind of care about it with me, and let's go retrieve some tourney records.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
You get a panel after you get the results.
I really wanted to have a fair/good PR last time so I went through a lot of work... And then I got criticized for it.
That made me not give a ****. If people care about the PR then THEY have to put effort into keeping results somewhere.
I will be part of the panel afterwards, but I refuse to do the compilation work.

Mampam

Smash Ace
Tampa's vibe gets people who even if they arent going to enter a tourney, just to come along cause they love the tampa scene

although no one loves me :(

i can't understand yos
you said it wrong, its
"sounds great, can't wait till the english version comes out"

trumptight

Smash Journeyman
You get a panel after you get the results.
I really wanted to have a fair/good PR last time so I went through a lot of work... And then I got criticized for it.
That made me not give a ****. If people care about the PR then THEY have to put effort into keeping results somewhere.
I will be part of the panel afterwards, but I refuse to do the compilation work.
OK Riddle will be apart of the panel. Is there no one else that's willing to be apart of the panel and/or gather all the results from this season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom