• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Dancing Blade

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
While jab has lost the properties from Smash 4 it's a good tool imo especially in neutral and from dash cancels. It can interrupt opponents approach and let you establish an advantageous position and possible stage control.

Phatty

Smash Cadet
After fooling around with DB yesterday in training mode I’m happy to announce that I found a reliable way to get DB4 side tippers. Now keep in mind I did not test it with rage, DI or on airborne opponents so I don’t know about those factors. However, I was able to make it work up to 160%! I mostly practiced from 100% to around 140% on Kirby, Falcon, Snake, and Marth so I got a good mix of weight and fall speed but more testing is needed.

To begin, you want to make sure that you are as close to your opponent as you can when you begin the move. I know this is kind of counter-intuitive for Marth, but it is the best way to get the move to connect even if you aren’t going for tipper DB4. For all four hits, you want to use DB side. You may be able to mix in DB3 down but it isn’t really necessary. For the first three hits, you want to get them out as quickly as possible. For the final hit, you want to delay it slightly until the opponent is in position to get the sweetspot. If you are in training mode you will know if you got the sweetspot because the final hit will do 7.2% instead of 4.8%. Also, even if you delay the last hit like this it will still be a true combo! This takes some practice but if you get the timing right you can consistently do it every time. I recommend trying it on 100-110% with falcon to get the general feel for the timing.

One thing about this, though, is that the timing for the tipper DB4 changes based on the character you use and the percent they are at. If the opponent is at 100% you will have to delay it longer than if he or she is at 140%. In other words, the window shrinks as the opponent’s percent increases. Again, I did not test it with rage so that may also be a factor. As far as characters go, I’m not sure if weight or fall speed has a bigger effect on the timing so more testing will have to be done for that as well.

One general thing about DB is that if you begin the move with the hilt hitbox and mash the buttons to do it as quickly as you can, it will true combo at almost any percent. I was able to get it to work with Kirby at 165%! Let me know what you guys think!

Senshu

Smash Cadet
While dancing blade is useful, I find it very unreliable in general. It's so easy for your opponent to fly out of it, and if they aren't hit by the final attack, you are left with a ton of end lag to be punished for, and Marth just can't afford that. I curse DB at least once a match.

Phatty

Smash Cadet
What I found when I was fooling around with it in training mode, is that it can be pretty touchy. If you get the middle or tipper hitbox of DB1 it can be pretty inconsistent but if you mash all four hits quickly you can still make it work most of the time. If the opponent is in the air, it is best to use the up variants especially DB4 up. Hope that helps.

W¡ndy

Smash Cadet
Well, after experimenting the DB in the past two days i can say its amazing. Easy kills on ledge and hop DB is still a great tool to bug the opponent and setup proper distance for the nair first hit, which can combo in probably anything. Jab is now a tool to pushback opponent, and im fine with it. Both hits connecting and no juggle effect.

Question about this dancing blade vid.

How do you get your short hop dancing blade to be so low to the ground?

on marth whenever I try to SH > DB in ultimate, I seem to get popped up too high by the dancing blade.

Top Bottom