• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Captain Falcon Match-Up Directory

lordhelmet

Smash Master
The Falcon Match-Up Index

Alright... let's take another (and hopefully last) shot at this. Not quite as pretty as I'd like it to be, I'll work on that. I need a new project anyway. I'll see about whipping up a decent-looking chart in Photoshop if I can.

BBR Standard Match-Up Ratios said:
-4: (close to) unwinnable
-3: large disadvantage/hard countered
-2: medium disadvantage
-1: small disadvantage
0: even
+1: small advantage
+2: medium advantage
+3: large advantage/hard counter
+4: (close to) unloseable
Ratios used in this thread go by the BBR Match-Up Chart for unification purposes only, and do not represent the board's exact opinions.

I will also use the ratios to link the individual threads when they are made.

:metaknight: -3
:diddy: -2
:snake: -2
:falco: -3
[collapse=Summary]
lol.
[/collapse]
:marth: -2
:wario: -1
:popo: -3
:olimar: -3
:pikachu2: -3
[collapse=Summary]
lol.
[/collapse]
:lucario: -2
:dedede: -2
:zerosuitsamus: -2
:gw: -2
:toonlink: -1
:fox: -1
:wolf: -2
:peach: -2
[collapse=Summary]
lol.
[/collapse]
:dk2: -2
:kirby2: -2
:rob: -2
:pit: -2
:sonic: -1
:ike: -1
[collapse=Summary]
lol.
[/collapse]
:luigi2: -2
:sheik: -2
:ness2: 0
:yoshi2: -1
:pt: -2
:lucas: -1
:mario2: -1
:bowser2: 0
:samus2: 0
:falcon: 0
:link2: 0
:jigglypuff: 0
:zelda: 0
:ganondorf: +1

[collapse=Archive]Previous Falcon Index
Previous Falcon General Discussion
[/collapse]

lordhelmet

Smash Master
Reserved ?

We won't try to go as in-depth on the character summaries like we did last time. Feedback is welcome, I'll work on this more ;)

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
She could have, but the fact that we litterally live forever as long as we avoid Dtilt (150+), Bair (120+) and Dair spike (gaaaaay) really plays in our favor. Her projectiles are annoying though.

PZ

Smash Lord
Cool. I have opinions on stuff :D

When the time comes that is.
Awesome, I look forward to some gaw info
She could have, but the fact that we litterally live forever as long as we avoid Dtilt (150+), Bair (120+) and Dair spike (gaaaaay) really plays in our favor. Her projectiles are annoying though.
Only tipped bairs have that kind of power, meh either I don't know how to momentum cancel or your right...but who cares I tech the stage nowadays, and agreed for dtilt
not so much so, maybe homing. unexpected power missiles can be a pain but are easily avoidable, same with charge shot most of the time.
Once you understand how fast a projectile it becomes easy to powershield offline...online is a different story <.<

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
HERE'S YOUR STICKY BROTHERS

z0mfg

Smash Rookie
I'd give Captain Falcon vs Olimar match-up a 50/50 I'll try to explain why later.
What I need to read is some good information about the Falcon vs Wolf match-up, is the hardest for me, harder than Falco, harder than Marth....

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
You can create a thread if you want to discuss a matchup z0mfg, everyone can.
And when you do, list all the problems you have with it because I really don't see how it can be harder than Marth.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
Okay so looks like the discussions we have aren't going anywhere. I'd say update this with what we have and press on with other characters.
I haven't been too interested in Brawl lately, I'll be sure to pick it back up soon though.

I already planned on short summaries, so that will be easy. If anyone has any further ideas just shoot me a PM and I'll get to it :yeahboi:

crow95

Smash Cadet
Olimar 50-50? It is easily one of our hardest MUs. Falcon can do S*** against him. We only can hope that Olimar player is not good, does not look out at his camping or does fail dash grabs so we can get in his zone and make as much % with juggling as possible but that is never enough to beat a good Olimar.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
+3 seems pretty silly.

I might have a chance to play Kain at PS4 or something. He'd destroy me but I want to play him anyway.

I've fought a lot of midlevel Wolfs and I don't see anything special about him. I'd rather fight a Wolf than a Fox.

Psychoace

Smash Champion
I thought the same as well. I believe we have better close up options vs wolf than fox. While wolf can probably wall rather well, I think we have a lot of rewards off of grabs. How do you normally approach the match?

PZ

Smash Lord
Dash shields, true pivots, the usual mu universal aerial(s) and for fun salmon fsmash to throw them off if they throw out a move that isnt fsmash.
I feel more comfortable vs wolf than fox and a really aggressive falcon actually does kinda well vs him. Being patient is only if you think you can handle the annoying lasers<.< Not too worried about his bair sense it is easy to spot and beat on some occasions.

crow95

Smash Cadet
How we should play against Mario? I find myself finding way more trouble against a spam-happy Mario than Samus/Link.

Grimmz

Smash Journeyman
Since mario has a superior combo game try to out space him with Bairs, Uairs and utilt. Also spotdodge less and use your shield more and roll more.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
If by spam happy you mean that he uses a lot of fireballz, then stay on the ground and PS.
If you're at the right distance dash>PS, it's free punish most of the time.

lusiris

Smash Apprentice
How's the lucario/sonic match up with falcon?
Lucario: -2 It's a pretty hard match up but not unwinnable. He greatly outranges, outpowers and can last as long as us with dire consequences. Our best tools are U-Air from the side and to get in close with a grab. Lucario has a ****ty recovery and if we can get the opportunity to grab the ledge in time we can gimp him.
Sonic: -1 It's a easier match up than Lucario but still at our disadvantage because sonic can do everything better than we can. Jab is a useful tool but make sure to not over use it. We can win it but it will be definitely be an annoying match.

Flame Hyenard

Smash Lord
Does anyone knows why the Falcon VS Ness is 0 ? I've always been curious about that MU but I never got answers about that before.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Because both characters' options fair pretty evenly, you can kill him With grab release to knee, hé can Bthrow you, your Bair is as annoying to him as his Fair is to you, etc. You can also gimp him easily if he used his second jump but so can he.

It's like that for most of the matchup.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
No actually you have to run, timing is way stricter than Wario but it's still manageable.

Flame Hyenard

Smash Lord
After 10 minutes of getting the timing right, I only managed to hit Ness with the sweetspot of the Knee twice (maybe the platform on Smashville helped, as I forgot to try on FD). I'll keep trying :D

Grimmz

Smash Journeyman
Can't we also grab ness and pummel him until he ground releases and redo it again?

Flame Hyenard

Smash Lord
No, I tried that before but it doesn't work that nicely. Either that, or I've been doing it wrong, once again.

Grimmz

Smash Journeyman
I believe it can work well with strict timing. Its kinda the same as how bowser does he ground release, only that he jabs once and then grabs again.

PZ

Smash Lord
No, trust me. Running takes too long and he can AD.

Go try it in training. Just hold forward and full hop knee, he can't get out that way.
Dash<Full Hop<Knee has to happen all at the same time for it work if not buffered then it won't work.

Also we don't have the ground release chaingrab on ness because our grab has no range and dash grab takes too long but we can DFtilt, probably down tilt, and jab which can lead to another grab.

Top Bottom