• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Boy in Green: A Link Between Worlds' Link for Smash Switch!

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Not just a returning veteran, not a third Link clone, but an all new Child Link. I say "Child Link" so that people don't get confused with :younglinkmelee: or:4tlink: from the previous games.

20180314_090912.jpg

And, of course:

Ravio's Bracelet
A new item introduced in A Link Between Worlds that allows Link to merge into walls and walk in them.

Yes, I stole this screenshot from a GameXplain video cause I don't have a 3ds capture card. Sue me.
Since Breath of the Wild Link was teased in the trailer to be this Smash title's new Adult Link, replacing :4link:, there is the possibility that :4tlink: may not make a reappearance. Therefore, I think it's time to look towards a new look for the young one in green. A Link to the Past and A Link Between Worlds are both games that did really well on their consoles (SNES and 3ds respectively) and are beloved by many players, so it would be quite refreshing to see a Link with that classic green tunic in contrast to Breath of the Wild Link's blue Champion tunic.
Do you vote your support for a new version of Child Link? Would you like to see this Link with the traditional moveset we've seen in the past 4 Smash games or an all new moveset?
Discuss.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I guess it depends on just how many veterans get redesigns. The only obvious one is Link (and by extension, perhaps Zelda and maybe even beyond); however, from discernible silhouettes, I am confident that Samus and Bowser got the same treatment. Therefore, it is definitely possible. And despite the fact that I am not a huge fan of Toon Link, I am not sure the change would be entirely warranted. I guess it depends on what they plan to do with the future of Zelda which only Nintendo knows at this point. If they overhaul Link heavily, it might just be in their best interest to change it.

I prefer Young Link, but this is still an idea that would give the game a BREATH of fresh air.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
I would be fine with this. Taking it a step further and giving him more ALBW weapons and abilities would be even better.

Calane

Smash Ace
You have no idea how much I want this to happen. ALBW (and the Oracle games) have my favorite design for Link hands down. Since it's very likely that BoTW Link will play differently from traditional Link, having ALBW Link take up the old move-set would be ideal. He has all the right weapons for it as well. I'd be overjoyed if his model resembled that cool looking figma that was made of him!

Figma 2.jpg

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I much rather have Toon Link back. This guy was already sort of represented in Toon Link's alts. And I don't think the roster warrants 3 Links. Not before we have 3 Marios at least. Which is sort of possible if Paper Mario joins the battle. Then I guess this guy could be a mix of :4link: & :4tlink: whilst BOTW Link is something different. But I don't think that'll happen. He's not unique enough, and he hasn't made appearances outside Link Between Worlds.

Calane

Smash Ace
I much rather have Toon Link back. This guy was already sort of represented in Toon Link's alts. And I don't think the roster warrants 3 Links. Not before we have 3 Marios at least. Which is sort of possible if Paper Mario joins the battle. Then I guess this guy could be a mix of :4link: & :4tlink: whilst BOTW Link is something different. But I don't think that'll happen. He's not unique enough, and he hasn't made appearances outside Link Between Worlds.
There's a couple things wrong with this comment.

1: I don't think anybody is asking for a third Link. This is about ALBW Link replacing :4tlink: as the new "Child Link" this time around. It's likely that BoTW Link is replacing TP Link and will have a different move-set, so why not replace Toon with ALBW and create a character that could carry on the classic Link move-set in a way that mixes the best of both worlds (Regular Link's moves with Toon Link's speed). There would be no need for three Links. If this were to happen, it'd just be BoTW Link and ALBW Link.

2: As for not being unique enough, that doesn't really matter. He doesn't have to be unique since he'd be carrying on the regular Link move-set that Smash has always had. BoTW Link will most likely play differently, so this would make him unique by default.

3: This version of Link HAS made appearances outside of ALBW, and quite a few of them. There's "A Link to the Past", "Link's Awakening", "Oracle of Ages", and "Oracle of Seasons". You could argue that these weren't all the same Link, but then neither were all of the Toon Links. The point is that this general design for Link has been used outside of ALBW and originated from one of the most iconic games in the franchise (ALttP).

I mean, it won't happen as I'm almost 100% sure Toon Link is returning, but I would just love to have this style of Link replace him as the new "Child Link" for this Smash. Besides, the top-down games are pretty much ignored in Smash, so having this version of Link appear would be a nice nod to the old-school side of the franchise while also contrasting the new BoTW Link beautifully. It'd pretty much be "new" Link (BoTW, 3D, Champion's Tunic, Adult) and "old" Link (ALBW, Top-down, Classic Tunic, Child). Representing both sides of the franchise in this way would just be...cool. Well, at least to me, I don't know.

Last edited:

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
I agree OP. I’ve been saying this since botw Link was revealed
It makes a lot of sense to replant toon link with “classic link”
He could play as a mix of Link and toon link
And a Ravio alt as well

Top Bottom