• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Beast...

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
I love the new cargo throw buff. Just had fun KOing Jiggly Puff at 57% with a single up-air. Anyway, I'm wondering where DK is going to be in the metagame now. We probably need more people playing him to fully understand his new potential, but luckily it seems like more people are picking him up lately after the patch.

"He can hang around with the top tiers now" - ZeRo

Last edited:

Donging

Smash Rookie
the buffs have helped him a lot. It's true that CU throw is a kill set up with uair around mid-60% for most characters, and there's really nothing they can do in terms of DI/air-dodging to escape the setup. The window frame to hit it is actually not super strict as well, so the timing on your double jump doesn't need to be frame perfect or anything like that to pick up the kill. It does suck if you whiff, but you're DK and have a ton of (relatively safe) kill options that come out super quick, most notably f-tilt (near the ledge), bair, and u-tilt. Oh yeah, and DK having a really nice jab 1 -> grab helps a lot as well, since the first hit pull the opponent towards DK. then once your opponent is conditioned to start rolling/spot-dodging to avoid the grab, you can mix it up with either Charged down smash for the kill, or down-b--which beats rolling/spot dodges 100% of the time, and will destroy a shield in 3 or so hits--for damage if they aren't at ko %

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
Yeah. I think even before the buff he was pretty good. But he's just been one of those underrated characters for a while and this was the little push he needed.

PsychoDog

Smash Rookie
So, can someone explain me how the Cargo upthrow combo actually works?

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
So, can someone explain me how the Cargo upthrow combo actually works?
Good question. First, DK grabs his opponent. Then does the equivalent of a F-throw, which for him, allows him to carry his opponent around. After that, jump while holding the enemy, and with the momentum from the jump, U-throw out of the cargo grab. Then, jump and U-air. The timing of the jump and U-air is heavily dependent on the character you are performing it on. But, it's not that hard. And, as long as it's done correctly, it'll be a true combo.

PsychoDog

Smash Rookie
Yeah, I figured, the thing is that, it can easily get mashed out, right? I mean, I've got a lot of opponents escaping before I could even uthrow them, right while im jumping to start it.
Does the grab/mash time also depend on %?

Donging

Smash Rookie
Yeah, I figured, the thing is that, it can easily get mashed out, right? I mean, I've got a lot of opponents escaping before I could even uthrow them, right while im jumping to start it.
Does the grab/mash time also depend on %?
it does. cargo throw is mashable like any other throw. It sounds like you aren't doing all of the inputs fast enough. Just keep practicing, and in the mean time you can supplement it for cargo uthrow w/o jumping -> u-tilt, which should work on any character at 0. You can even up-smash outright and it has a decent chance to connect, or charge a down smash if you think they'll air dodge.

PsychoDog

Smash Rookie
Cool to know, its a matter of speed, I've been doing it without jumping but only works on low %.
Ty for the help guys.

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
I think DK for sure needed a buff like this, glad he got it. Now why can't the other heavies get the buffs they need to be competitive? I think as of now DK is high mid tier, or possibly low high tier. I don't think he'll ever be top tier because of his huge hurtbox which will forever make him suspectible to the amazing combo games of the top tiers...but DK on release and DK in the current patch is night and day in terms of viability.

erickf18

Smash Rookie
Good question. First, DK grabs his opponent. Then does the equivalent of a F-throw, which for him, allows him to carry his opponent around. After that, jump while holding the enemy, and with the momentum from the jump, U-throw out of the cargo grab. Then, jump and U-air. The timing of the jump and U-air is heavily dependent on the character you are performing it on. But, it's not that hard. And, as long as it's done correctly, it'll be a true combo.
why bother with the first jump. just do the cargo up throw on the ground and do a short hop uair. it may not true combo but who need true combos when they air dodge fast fall to the ground then up tilt for dayzz

Rebel13

Banned via Warnings
@ E erickf18 The first jump puts the opponent higher in the air and gives you upwards momentum, and guarantees the Uair. It kills really early, hit confirms are almost always better than frame traps anyways. Upthrow to Uptilt is something you do to rack damage, the cargo combo is for getting the kill.

Top Bottom