• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Name Tag feature really needs to be changed in Online.

Ryuki of Spiral Rhapsody

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Spiral_Rhapsody
I understand that the game's rating doesn't apply to online behaviors, but as much as I seek to become good at Smash, I still understand that the game is rightfully designed to cater to casual players, old and young. For the latter, however, I'm really concerned because there's just too much of people going around using names containing racial and homophobic slurs. It's really too much, guys. Even if these people aren't radical extremists who should actually be evaluated by authorities for such behavior but instead kids who just want to troll and idk, be edgy(???), this kind of thing is still really, really bad. I'm glad that the name tag box allows for positive messages, but for every "GG!" or "Good Marth!" I've gotten, I've gotten several curses/slurs afterwards from other players. Heck, the first day I played, my bud and I already saw this duo on Team Battle with their names saying "CONSIDER; SUICIDE". What the heck, man? This series appeals to so many demographics and has so much competitive potential; it's just too good to have these behaviors transpire.

(EDIT: what specifically led to this post was a particular player who joined and immediately put name tags containing messages targeting those of Japanese and German descent)

(EDIT 5/13/15: my initial thoughts were quite extreme and perhaps going as far as removing the feature entirely is much. however my opinion still stands; really, really toxic behavior shouldn't be happening in a family-oriented game's online to start with.)

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
They should just make it where you have a default name that you can't change, and maybe introduce a system where you can send generic messages to your opponents such as "great game!", "bye!", etc. In the mean time, I think it's best to just report/block people who insult/swear (especially those who use racist remarks or encourage suicide).

Still~Wolf

Embwace Twanquility
Yeah, for a kid friendly game, Nintendo sure let a lot of words be said in the tags.

Ryuki of Spiral Rhapsody

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Spiral_Rhapsody
In the mean time, I think it's best to just report/block people who insult/swear (especially those who use racist remarks or encourage suicide).
My biggest concern is that it won't do anything. Has it ever been specified that Nintendo's human resource teams review behavior OUTSIDE of actual gameplay? Can they actually see what goes down in lobbies between matches? If so, then I guess I can rest easy just reporting it as usual, but I feel I've been sending reports in vain.

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
I legitimately wonder why more of the good parts of Mario Kart 8's online system didn't make it here. MK8 has generic messages people can send to others in the lobby (ex. "Good game!", "I'm excited!" "This is my last game."), and you're locked into your Mii account that you've made in the Wii U system itself. The name you have on the Mii associated with that account and its appearance are locked in as well. If you're gonna switch names in MK8, you've gotta get out of the lobby and switch either Miis or accounts or both. The 3DS version has the locked-in Mii & name & appearance, but not the generic messages. MK8's "worst" generic messages that salty folks could use/spam in the lobby are probably "Not fair!" & "I'll get you next time!" XD

CrabLeg

Brown Boy Wonder
NNID
Maheen76220
3DS FC
4854-6626-0552
I agree with you completely. The tags are really unnecessary for online play. Specially in 2v2 on For Glory, people like to put stupid things as their tags with their friends.

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
Yep, that's really bad. However, as the tag keeps, the CSS should have a chat like in the MK8 lobby, with pre-made sentences. There should be also a way to report those stuff.

Last edited:

dahuterschuter

Smash Journeyman
How am I supposed to select my controls then?

I don't care about people saying mean things because I am not eight.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
^ It worked that way in Basic Brawl. No one else would see your tag, but you could still select it.

I'm actually really surprised Nintendo overlooked it this time around.

Admittedly it does go both ways. Kind of nice exchanging "GGs" and such.

CynicalController

Smash Cadet
NNID
acetrainergaming
3DS FC
2020-0091-9961
Honestly, if you see a user using an inappropriate tag, leaving the lobby is a very easy and efficient option. I don't think users having bad tags warrants a full removal.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
People in For Glory always seemed prepared to throw :salt: in everyone's faces when they lose a match. Personally, I really don't give a **** what they put in their tags, though sometimes I just like to respond to them in a humorous way.

Ryuki of Spiral Rhapsody

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Spiral_Rhapsody
Then their parents should supervise their online play, like it says on the box.
fair, but it's still a video game aimed at all demographics. also, young or not, this problem shouldn't have to exist to begin with.

^ It worked that way in Basic Brawl. No one else would see your tag, but you could still select it.

I'm actually really surprised Nintendo overlooked it this time around.

Admittedly it does go both ways. Kind of nice exchanging "GGs" and such.
Totally agree there, which is why I'm all for whatever Mario Kart 8 apparently does (default, generic messages to throw out)

Honestly, if you see a user using an inappropriate tag, leaving the lobby is a very easy and efficient option. I don't think users having bad tags warrants a full removal.
i've changed my opinion a bit slightly since the responses, agreeing that a full removal may be a bit much.
that being said, leaving doesn't really get rid of the problem. i guess for solely me in the short run, it'd help (because bwoop, they're gone, right??) , but again, why should i have to leave because of someone being toxic? why can't it just not happen to begin with?

CynicalController

Smash Cadet
NNID
acetrainergaming
3DS FC
2020-0091-9961
i've changed my opinion a bit slightly since the responses, agreeing that a full removal may be a bit much.
that being said, leaving doesn't really get rid of the problem. i guess for solely me in the short run, it'd help (because bwoop, they're gone, right??) , but again, why should i have to leave because of someone being toxic? why can't it just not happen to begin with?
The problem will always exist, as it's an online game aimed at ALL demographics. Including the demographics that contain said people using inappropriate name tags. Toxic players will always exist, so said tags will always exist. There's no way around it beside implementing the set phrases menu.

PowerPuffPlayer

Smash Apprentice
When I use/make name tags I make specific character names spelled wrong, from a meme, or just a joke from myself or at my school.

:4jigglypuff:Jigglytuff
:4luigi:Luweggie
:4kirby:Kurbie
:4link:Lonk
:4roy:RoysOurBoy
:4littlemac:BigMac
:4sonic:Sanic
:4bowserjr:BabyBowser
:4bowser:BowWow
:4pikachu:DownB
:4mario:Marlio

Ryuki of Spiral Rhapsody

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Spiral_Rhapsody
The problem will always exist, as it's an online game aimed at ALL demographics. Including the demographics that contain said people using inappropriate name tags. Toxic players will always exist, so said tags will always exist. There's no way around it beside implementing the set phrases menu.
so why not just implement it

ShinyGirafarig

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
3DS FC
5412-9895-2268
I made a few friends thanks to being able to make positive messages in the tags and would be sad to see it go. I do make sure to beat those with racist names so they will not get away with it.

Last edited:

dahuterschuter

Smash Journeyman
fair, but it's still a video game aimed at all demographics. also, young or not, this problem shouldn't have to exist to begin with.
Most don't see it as a problem.

And if it's aimed at all demographics as you say, then it's intended to also cater to those people who want tags to insult people. So how can you then claim it would be right to remove them? That would be counter-productive.

Top Bottom