• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Nächi Ness Guide

Guide The Nächi Ness Guide

Nachi

Smash Rookie
Nachi submitted a new guide:

The Nächi Ness Guide - A complete general Ness guide for SSB4

:4ness:

Hello, im Nächi and this is my Ness Guide. Now… I’ve been playing Ness since the beginning of time itself and by now I’ve seen some things here and there; but as a true academic, I wanted to create a guide that not only covered Ness’s move set, but also broke down the character to its core and helped people use him in today’s current meta.

This guide is meant for everyone; beginners are super welcome, but might have a harder time understanding certain things in the guide, start...
Read more about this guide...

TheRamAlakazaam

Smash Cadet
Really enjoyed your guide very informative not a noob Ness but definitely not at Asa's level. Hopefully helped me get out of my small "Plateau"

Objekshin

Smash Cadet
In addition to the Tips and Tricks and glitchy mechanics:

- Double PKT2 Recovery when you hit the stage at a certain angle on the left side (head on), or just hitting the stage on the right side. While you are doing the somersault that leads into helpless, if you hit up+B again, you will do another PKT.

In addition to the Dair: It autocancels I think in the first few frames, forgot the exact number.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
This bit is misleading:

You should probably mention autocancel windows (which can be found on KuroganeHammer). Nair for example has a FAF of 36 and 18 frames of landing lag, but if you land between frames 1-4 (inclusive I assume) of the move or after (maybe inclusive) frame 26 of the move, you will only receive 4 frames of landing lag. Your example of fair is somewhat misleading as you can actually land after 33 frames and only receive hard landing lag, you just can't act (eg. double jump) until frame 40.

The list of combos is a little hard to read but I'm not sure how to improve that.

I also don't think you can immediately jab after absorbing something, I think you only have shield options (shield, shieldgrab, roll, spotdodge, and for some reason jump without shielding?).

Other than that, this was a pretty good read. Just some constructive criticism :)

Nachi

Smash Rookie
Cool, I have a few notes tho -

1. In addition to being able to do nair nair out of a single sh you can also do bair nair, kind of a cool little bait.
2. I believe the 6 frame hitbox on up smash is actually from the yo yo behind Ness' back when being thrown out and not when it goes in front of him.
3. In one of the last section you mention that you can jump off ledge and do a pk fire followed by a aerial to cover landing, but you can actually do this off the ground with a regular full hop. It's a bit harder to do because the timing of Ness' full hop makes it near impossible to do if you use tap, x, or y to jump. However, if you remap jump to a trigger its really easy to do and you can down air to cancel the lag or even nair. Funnily enough, even air dodging before the ground reduces the landing lag.
4. Sorry if I missed this, but uair to grab is good option at 0% that I didn't see mentioned
5. I found the combo section a little confusing to read so sorry again if I missed these, but I didn't see any mention of combos off of ff uair. At varying percents ff uair can true combo in to utilt, nair, fair, and uair.

Awesome guide, sorry if it seems like I'm trying to pick it apart, I'm really not! I've wanted to make a Ness guide for a while, but I don't have the time or drive so it's great to see that you made a better one than I ever could, lol.
Hello Hufflenuff, thank you for the notes, they were actually super usefull. I'll look into the frame data of Usmash and the Uair combos, there are a couple indeed. BTW could you elaborate a little on the part where u mentioned something at the end of your 3rd note about air-dodging before landing to not get any landing lag? Im a bit confused here.

Other than that thanks again for commenting on the guide and contributing too, ill keep you posted once I update the guide :D

Last edited:

Nachi

Smash Rookie
In addition to the Tips and Tricks and glitchy mechanics:

- Double PKT2 Recovery when you hit the stage at a certain angle on the left side (head on), or just hitting the stage on the right side. While you are doing the somersault that leads into helpless, if you hit up+B again, you will do another PKT.

In addition to the Dair: It autocancels I think in the first few frames, forgot the exact number.
Hello Objekshin, TY for commenting about the guide. :)

Regarding the Double-PKT2 recovery: In this guide I didn't cover PKT" recoveries since there was already a guide with videos covering that sort of material that is very well done. In fact I even put a link for that guide, its called "Surviving mortal damage". In that guide they explain how to Double PKT2, but I could also list the recovery options in this guide in the same format as the "recap" parts.

And about the Dair cancel, it was mentioned in "The Neutral" section, right after the grabs. But indeed it would be better to elaborate more on this and explain the frames where it autocancels. Very soon ill add a part with the autocancel windows of Ness's aerials, so this should solve that concern.

Thank you for taking interest and the recommendations, ill update the guide soon with the changes (this week).

Last edited:

Nachi

Smash Rookie
This bit is misleading:

You should probably mention autocancel windows (which can be found on KuroganeHammer). Nair for example has a FAF of 36 and 18 frames of landing lag, but if you land between frames 1-4 (inclusive I assume) of the move or after (maybe inclusive) frame 26 of the move, you will only receive 4 frames of landing lag. Your example of fair is somewhat misleading as you can actually land after 33 frames and only receive hard landing lag, you just can't act (eg. double jump) until frame 40.

The list of combos is a little hard to read but I'm not sure how to improve that.

I also don't think you can immediately jab after absorbing something, I think you only have shield options (shield, shieldgrab, roll, spotdodge, and for some reason jump without shielding?).

Other than that, this was a pretty good read. Just some constructive criticism :)

Hello Pazx, first of all TY for your constructive criticism. Indeed this was one of the more complicated parts to explain. Adding an extra column to show auto-cancel windows is a genius idea that takes no time and will no doubt help out a lot! Ill get that done ASAP.

Indeed the combo section is a little hard to understand, ill look into other fighting games to see how I can make this part a little more intuitive. Ill also look into the "Out-of-Magnet-options" to be crystal clear and 100% accurate. Look forward to changes this week regarding updates and stuff. TY again :)

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Thank you for the guide, Nachi. We enjoy having lots of different learning tools for present or future Ness mains. If I may though, please next time can you only post once, and quote every person in just one post? It keeps the thread less cluttered. Thank you!

Nachi

Smash Rookie
Nachi updated The Nächi Ness Guide with a new update entry:

First Update!

Hey guys, I updated some frame data info in the moveset section that was a little off and made a "make-over" to the combo section to try to make it a little more clear. Finally I added a a little section over what to do against opponent DI during combo strings (a pretty important part).

Ill get to the more complicated updates this week.

Spoiler: (Auto cancel windows, some PK Fire tricks and confirmed jab lock combos, a very hype subject indeed)

Good Luck my fellow Ness-brethren!
Read the rest of this update entry...

Yahir (Bear_5)

Smash Rookie
Hello, amazing guide. I am a new Ness main and I am having trouble performing two Nairs in one shorthop. I have searched everywhere for an example of this in action but can't seem to find one. Could you please demonstrate this or at least give me some tips on how to do it? thank you.

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
Hello, amazing guide. I am a new Ness main and I am having trouble performing two Nairs in one shorthop. I have searched everywhere for an example of this in action but can't seem to find one. Could you please demonstrate this or at least give me some tips on how to do it? thank you.
If you wanna do two nairs in one short hop you have to do this:
Lightly tap :GCX: and at the same time hit :GCA:. Immeidately after the first nair is done tap :GCA: again and you will do only part of the nair but a hitbox will be out so it covers your landing a bit.
I hope this is helpful.

Nachi

Smash Rookie
Nachi updated The Nächi Ness Guide with a new update entry:

Second Update!

Hello hello, I made a super quick update this weekend where I went over some stuff in the "Combos" section stuff and added two whole new parts to the "Tips Tricks & Janks" section:
  • Jab Locks & setups
  • Footstool setups
I hope you all check it out soon and try out some of that new stuff.

Anyway I also realized that certain things require some sort of a video and I have news on that department: This week im going to get an elgato capture card and will be able to start...
Read the rest of this update entry...

Nachi

Smash Rookie
Whats up homes!

It's almost mid-2017 and I'm nearly done with a huge "turbo-update" based on tons of research.

Spoiler alert: I really went deep into some hidden tech... I'm talking about the totally incosistent/experimental/100%character based type. But I NEED ppl to test out stuff with. PM me plz to get in touch to do some serious labbing.

Anyway, I should have it ready in a few weeks. Also shouts out to Formidable, one of my first smashboards homies and thank you EVERYONE for your support.

Top Bottom