• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Musical Guitar Loving Dog of Animal Crossing - K.K. Slider for Smash Ultimate?!?! (In Search of New Thread Owner)

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

K.K. Slider is among one of the most iconic and popular characters in the Animal Crossing franchise. Slider has a fond love for playing his guitar and singing like a high-pitch, robotic Vocaloid, singing classic tunes like K.K. Bossa and Go K.K. Rider. When it comes to people figuring out which Animal Crossing could be playable in Smash, Isabelle is a common prediction. While understandable, people do not go beyond the scope of Isabelle and do not predict multiple Animal Crossing newcomers now. This mindset is especially enforced when Tom Nook, Animal Crossing's most important/central character prior to Isabelle, was disconfirmed as part of Villager's Final Smash again. So why think about K.K. Slider being a possible choice alongside Isabelle. Well, there is this Mii costume that came for Smash 4 DLC:

While DLC Mii costumes are not a sure-fire indicator that could benefit a character's inclusion (Naming Ashley as an example), it is somewhat odd that out of all Animal Crossing characters K.K. Slider got a costume. It is perfectly understandable for Isabelle, but not K.K. Slider. This costume alongside Isabelle came after the period of the ballot. So what could this mean? There are multiple possibilities as to why K.K. Slider could have been chosen:

1. K.K. Slider was Sakurai's 2nd favorite Animal Crossing character, so he personally chose him as the second AC Mii cosume.
2. K.K. Slider was the second most popular Animal Crossing character voted in the ballot at the time.

There is also the possibility that these costumes were all decided from the beginning (Since Mewtwo was planned as a temporary free DLC character for Smash 4), but perhaps some could have been planned due to the influence of ballot rankings, such as K. Rool (Who would have likely not been a DLC Mii costume had the majority of fans not voted for him). Why would Slider be chosen over an AC character central to Animal Crossing's gameplay like Tom Nook as a Smash 4 DLC costume? Perhaps, it is because of the above second possibility, being the second most voted Animal Crossing character to be voted for playable in the ballot.

Now, there are a multitude of extremely iconic and popular characters within the Animal Crossing series: Tom Nook, Isabelle, Mr. Resetti, K.K. Slider. It would be natural to assume that the Animal Crossing newcomer chosen would be based on popularity and importance to the franchise. Isabelle and Nook would easily qualify for all these factors. This is not much of a case with Slider and K.K., as their appearances within normal gameplay are pretty rare. But what if... when it specifically came to choosing Animal Crossing newcomers for Ultimate, being the most popular characters voted in the ballot was a primary factor?

There is a possibility that Sakurai let the fans vote for which Animal Crossing characters due to Tom Nook, Isabelle, Mr. Resetti, and K.K. Slider all sharing these positive factors:
1. Iconic to the Animal Crossing franchise.
2. Being one of the most popular Animal Crossing characters.
3. Being utilized enough for marketing Animal Crossing games, merchandise, and all other forms of media.
4. Being very unique, all of which are non-combatants that share unique personalities and characteristics that easily spark distinct moveset potential/possibilities.

All of them share numerous, strongly positive qualities that choosing only one or two based on who was the most voted would become the only route Sakurai takes to avoid overrepresentation. (Sakurai has never added more than two unique newcomers from the same franchise in any Smash game, excluding Pokemon Trainer's 3 Pokemon/Mii Fighters, whom were added because of them being important and being based on a single concept that rooted to developing three separate unique fighters.) Perhaps Sakurai is not taking as much importance on the character's degree of role in Animal Crossing, but rather let fans that voted for Animal Crossing characters decide who to implement for Ultimate to help with the process of elimination.

This is all assuming two Animal Crossing newcomers are chosen and ballot-influenced. I consider this a real possibility, given what Sakurai has said about adding non-combatants when it came to explaining Villager's inclusion in Smash 4 that 2 AC characters could be included as playable fighters (With K.K. Slider's utlization his guitar and music providing a plethora of moveset potential/possibilties). All things considered, if Mii costumes were an indicator of which two AC characters were most voted on, then maybe K.K. Slider has an actual shot at being playable.

Who knows really? I just wanted to willingly discuss this possibility so badly in the best way I can. What do you think? Is he possible? If you support, why do you want the character?

Yeah, I heard confirmations that K.K. is in the background of the Animal Crossing stage during Saturday nights again in Ultimate, but personally, I am one that believes that being in the background of a stage is not a disconfirmation.

Supporters:
1. BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11
2. King Sonnn DeDeDoo King Sonnn DeDeDoo
3. MacDaddyNook MacDaddyNook
4. GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741
5. K.K. Slider K.K. Slider

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I want to hit people over the head with a guitar like El Kabong, so yeah I support. I’ll honestly support any animal crossing character. Despite the general smash speculation community being dismissive of the franchise, I actually think Animal Crossing could get multiple characters, with a unique character and a echo in the same game.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Can't say I wouldn't have a blast "kabonging" foes with that guitar. He gets my support.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I see K.K. Slider using his guitar in a more respectful manner. Given his chill personality and love for instruments, it would be kind of odd to see Slider smack his guitar. I can see him using his guitar similarly to his Mii Gunner costume, shooting musical notes, using his small tip of the guitar to unleash a musical sound-waves for Melee attacks.

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I see K.K. Slider using his guitar in a more respectful manner. Given his chill personality and love for instruments, it would be kind of odd to see Slider smack his guitar. I can see him using his guitar similarly to his Mii Gunner costume, shooting musical notes, using his small tip of the guitar to unleash a musical sound-waves for Melee attacks.
You're right, making K.K basically a sword character but with a guitar instead sells him short, but is I want at least one attack to "Kabong" people, maybe a F-air or F-smash. The only problem I see with giving K.K a unique musical move set, is that I feel that the musical fighting style should be given to Chorus kids or a rhythm heaven character since music defines the series.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
That would be more true to his character, but I have to admit, not as fun as bonking characters over the head with the guitar. I will massively disappointed if we don't get even one "Kabong" attack.

Alternatively, I'd be quite happy if we get his guitar as a battering/clobbering item. When held, the player could play a short little Animal Crossing tune on it by taunting.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
You're right, making K.K basically a sword character but with a guitar instead sells him short, but is I want at least one attack to "Kabong" people, maybe a F-air or F-smash. The only problem I see with giving K.K a unique musical move set, is that I feel that the musical fighting style should be given to Chorus kids or a rhythm heaven character since music defines the series.
I feel Chorus Kids would have a playstyle based on using rhythm for all attacks, using timing to create more powerful attacks. Most of the moves they would take from many famous RH mini games are not musically themed like using instruments aside from the choir kids screaming "AAAAAAA!!!"

K.K. Slider would be literally using music, sound waves, and musical notes for combat. No rhythm in play-style, just full-on combat with musical tools.

That would be more true to his character, but I have to admit, not as fun as bonking characters over the head with the guitar. I will massively disappointed if we don't get even one "Kabong" attack.

Alternatively, I'd be quite happy if we get his guitar as a battering/clobbering item. When held, the player could play a short little Animal Crossing tune on it by taunting.
Well, as long as the "Kabong attack is not. swinging on the front side of the strings, then maybe.

Personally, I am kinda sensitive when it comes to damaging guitars, since I used to practice guitar on my own at a young age.

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I feel Chorus Kids would have a playstyle based on using rhythm for all attacks, using timing to create more powerful attacks. Most of the moves they would take from many famous RH mini games are not musically themed like using instruments aside from the choir kids screaming "AAAAAAA!!!"

K.K. Slider would be literally using music, sound waves, and musical notes for combat. No rhythm in play-style, just full-on combat with musical tools.

Well, as long as the "Kabong attack is not. swinging on the front side of the strings, then maybe.

I am kinda sensitive when it comes to damaging guitars, since I used to practice guitar on my own at a young age.
Understood. I would just chalk it up to "magical unbreakable cartoon guitar." With that said, knowing Sakurai's attention to subtle and fine details, he would carefully animate things to not swing in a manner that would damage the guitar.

Barbasol

Smash Ace
I love the concept of KK Slider in Smash but I have some trouble with the idea that this chill doggie would be battling. His defining trait as a character is that he let's things slide, and is mellow as can be. If he's running around forward smashing character off the stage, dunno... Feels like a questionable design intention. Isabelle could make sense as she has that orderly Aggretsuko vibe.

K.K. Slider

Smash Rookie
I love the concept of KK Slider in Smash but I have some trouble with the idea that this chill doggie would be battling. His defining trait as a character is that he let's things slide, and is mellow as can be. If he's running around forward smashing character off the stage, dunno... Feels like a questionable design intention. Isabelle could make sense as she has that orderly Aggretsuko vibe.
At the end of the day, I just want another Animal Crossing character that hopefully has a new moveset. Whether it's K.K., Isabelle, or Tom Nook himself it doesn't matter a whole bunch to me. If I'm being honest.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Admittedly when they showed Isabelle's trailer, I was expecting a double reveal with K.K. Slider in too, before the Tom Nook transition.

What do you guys think of the chances of K.K. Slider being playable are now.

I am kinda holding out hope, but I am not really expecting him now.

I wonder if they would give semi-clone treatment to a character like K.K.

To be honest, with how different K.K. is personality wise and ability wise, I don't think a semi-clone moveset would fit him.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I never saw him as likely for this game, and with Isabelle in, I doubt they'll add another character from this series just yet. But if AC is getting a third character in Smash eventually, he seems to be the next one in line.

ZagarTulip

Smash Journeyman
I think K.K. could be an interesting Smash Character, in fact I would've preferred him over Isabelle if it were up to me, although I understand the decision of picking Isabelle

I definitely support!

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
If there is anyone that wants to take over the support thread of this character, please let me know.

I am planning my departure from the speculation scene for good in pursuit of accomplishing my dream job and goal.

I am leaving sometime in late March or early April.

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
I support this movement :kirby:
Same. What K. K. Slider has going for him is that his costume was featured in the base game of Super Smash Bros Ultimate, and as shown with Isabelle's Mii costume, that's not a viable indicator to disconfirm a character.

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
If there is anyone that wants to take over the support thread of this character, please let me know.

I am planning my departure from the speculation scene for good in pursuit of accomplishing my dream job and goal.

I am leaving sometime in late March or early April.
what is your dream job and goal?

Top Bottom