• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Music Theory might have brought a deconfirmation...

Pro895YT

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-0484-5702-0521
If you don't know what the music theory is, let me explain. Each franchise in Smash will have a song (remix or og track) posted onto the blog by the time Ultimate releases. Trends have shown that every franchise that gets a track either gets a newcomer the week(s) prior or nothing at all (except an echo, at best), working as a little deconfirmation tool for fighters.
Today, on September 25, 2018, a Pokemon remix was showcased on the blog. What this means is that Incineroar, the "Gen 7 rep" preached by leakers like Vergeben, is deconfirmed.
Credibility has been lost everywhere.
:ultsnake::ultrichter::ultcorrin:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I'd rather Music Theory be dead. We'll know by the next direct I suppose.

I mean, it's possible that they only share updates with certain characters, or the previous direct delay screwed up the schedule.

Last edited:

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Everyone believed music theory until it disagreed with Verg instead of considering that Verg could be wrong.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
But remember, it's just a theory.

A Music Theory.

Thanks for listening!
Onett theme is Megalovania!?

(It took me longer than it should have to pick music to represent Ness)

Last edited:

aarchak

Smash Ace
Don't trust leakers. Music theory doesn't really bring disconformations, because Nintendo could easily add a second song for any series. However, it has a proven track record of working (with K. Rool and Isabelle as major examples). Just because Pokemon got a track doesn't mean it's disconfirmed, it just might get a second song for the new reveal.

pap64

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pappel64
Switch FC
2966 0225 9209
I fail to see how the track deconfirms Incineroar or any gen 7 Pokemon, and I am not saying that as a follower of Vergeben (quite honestly I am waiting for something to be debunked for him to become the Gematsu of Ultimate). Maybe I am missing something? Plus any Gen 7 Pokemon has the chance of appearing as a playable character since Sakurai could have easily picked one way before the actual Pokemon game was released, cause that's how Greninja got in Smash 4 to begin with.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
I was expecting actual Music theory. Not a conspiracy theory about why we won't be getting Decidueye or Incineroar. By that logic wouldn't Ken be deconfirmed as well? Or Bandana Dee, or Geno? You could use this theory to deconfirm almost every representative that is from a franchise already represented in the game.

I think a more likely answer as to why we see music pop up on the page when newcomers from that franchise appear is because Sakurai wants to capitalize on hype even more than he already is doing. If the music theory was true, people would eventually be able to narrow down who the next newcomer(s) are which would lessen the hype for any upcoming Smash Direct that will hopefully happen in the near future. Besides, theorizing like this is one way how we as fans disappoint ourselves constantly. So no, I don't believe in this theory.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
So, a leaker with considerable credibility thus far vs. some made up conspiracy theory, and people want to believe that Vergeben suddenly lost all his credibility because of a song in the Smash Blog because they're so biased and so in denial, they'd willingly believe some fan-made theory over someone who potentially has inside info. What a joke.

For the record, I don't think Vergeben might be 100% real on all of his claims, but come on, the guy has been right with many unpredictable characters. I don't think there's really any doubt on what's the most rational approach on what to believe based on what we know so far.

Uffe

Smash Hero
So, a leaker with considerable credibility thus far vs. some made up conspiracy theory, and people want to believe that Vergeben suddenly lost all his credibility because of a song in the Smash Blog because they're so biased and so in denial, they'd willingly believe some fan-made theory over someone who potentially has inside info. What a joke.

For the record, I don't think Vergeben might be 100% real on all of his claims, but come on, the guy has been right with many unpredictable characters. I don't think there's really any doubt on what's the most rational approach on what to believe based on what we know so far.
The problem is that everybody who thinks he's the word of God acts like he's never made any false claims.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
The problem is that everybody who thinks he's the word of God acts like he's never made any false claims.
Thinking that a leak is either 100% true or 100% fake is the epitome of irrationality.

Inside sources don't reveal all of the information since they might not even know all of it, and a lot of sources also throw in some fake information on purpose to avoid getting caught.

Also, game development is something in constant change. Ideas get scrapped, some ideas come up in later stages of development, which can add to the inaccuracy of the information.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Thinking that a leak is either 100% true or 100% fake is the epitome of irrationality.

Inside sources don't reveal all of the information since they might not even know all of it, and a lot of sources also throw in some fake information on purpose to avoid getting caught.

Also, game development is something in constant change. Ideas get scrapped, some ideas come up in later stages of development, which can add to the inaccuracy of the information.
And people can guess. I remember before Melee was even out I said if they made another Super Smash Bros. game, Young Link was going to be in it, and sure enough he is.

Oddball

Smash Lord
As a rule, I don't pay attention to "leaks". That way I'm not over hyped for something that doesn't exist or disappointed for no reason.

Often enough leaks are little more than somebody who's really good at guessing things.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
The music theory was never a thing. It’s just another stupid thing that smash fans created and everyone believed cause they’re all dumb too.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I, personally, never believed the Music Theory anyway. To me, it was always a fun bit of speculation and nothing more. If it's to be taken as 100% fact, then that means that Bandana Dee, Skull Kid, Incineroar/Decidueye, and (probably) Geno are all out, and at that point, who does that really leave as far as unique newcomers? The answer is not many.

Last edited:

Darkurai

Smash Master
Who would win:

A leaker with a proven track record of being right and no bad information for this particular game so far

Or

An idea fans came up with to fill in the blanks based around assumptions?

Vergeben's word isn't gospel or anything, but if it comes down to either believing him or believing the music theory, it's not a hard choice.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Well, it was shown that they do tie unique newcomer reveals to music, as shown when they delayed the AC music to coincide with Isabelle's reveal. If the music theory is true then the remaining newcomers will be from Wario, Sonic, and Xenoblade. The other three franchises that don't have music that can have new fighters, Star Fox, Earthbound, and Kid Icarus, will most likely have echoes.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591

he can get all write and ppl will still say he guessed

he never made a false claim for smash yet

And people can guess. I remember before Melee was even out I said if they made another Super Smash Bros. game, Young Link was going to be in it, and sure enough he is.
geussing young link and somebody like simion as well as calling others right is totally different. I Believe mario will be in next game as well as link

Uffe

Smash Hero
he never made a false claim for smash yet

geussing young link and somebody like simion as well as calling others right is totally different. I Believe mario will be in next game as well as link
But he has been wrong about other games. Super Smash Bros. 64 didn't have Young Link. Guessing he would be in Melee is like what most people are guessing Shadow, Ken, or some new Pokemon will be in Ultimate. You really don't have to put much thought out there, especially since making an echo fighter at this point would be the easiest way to save time instead of making some new character. Hell, guessing Dark Samus might be in Ultimate because of Samus' eighth palette being different, or questioning where Isabelle's AT didn't require much effort to think of the possibilities. If the guy has sources, I would ask why he doesn't tell us his sources, but of course the answer to that would be that he doesn't want to get anybody in trouble, which honestly, if whoever his sources are, I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually were found out.

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
But he has been wrong about other games. Super Smash Bros. 64 didn't have Young Link. Guessing he would be in Melee is like what most people are guessing Shadow, Ken, or some new Pokemon will be in Ultimate. You really don't have to put much thought out there, especially since making an echo fighter at this point would be the easiest way to save time instead of making some new character. Hell, guessing Dark Samus might be in Ultimate because of Samus' eighth palette being different, or questioning where Isabelle's AT didn't require much effort to think of the possibilities. If the guy has sources, I would ask why he doesn't tell us his sources, but of course the answer to that would be that he doesn't want to get anybody in trouble, which honestly, if whoever his sources are, I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually were found out.
1. he be stupid to give us his sources, a good way to burn bridges is get your sources to lose there job.

2. other game have different sources and does not matter.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Here’s your mistake

It’s a song from omega ruby and sapphire not from sun and moon

So if it were to deconfirm incineroar it would have to be a song from sun and moon

Uffe

Smash Hero
1. he be stupid to give us his sources, a good way to burn bridges is get your sources to lose there job.

2. other game have different sources and does not matter.
Of course he would. That's what makes this interesting, because he claims to have sources, so people, whether this is true or not, accept it without any evidence. It amazes me that most people aren't skeptical and will believe what a stranger over the Internet says, which leads me to my next response. Other games have different sources, but dasVergeben has spouted information about other games, as he's not exclusively doing so for just Ultimate, which yes, there were times he was correct, but he was also incorrect about other information. Yeah, I get it. It's not 100% true or false as someone else stated, which is funny, because again, people will eat it up as fact whatever he says regardless.

Last edited:

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
Of course he would. That's what makes this interesting, because he claims to have sources, so people, whether this is true or not, accept it without any evidence. It amazes me that most people aren't skeptical and will believe what a stranger over the Internet says, which leads me to my next response. Other games have different sources, but dasVergeben has spouted information about other games, as he's not exclusively doing so for just Ultimate, which yes, there were times he was correct, but he was also incorrect about other information. Yeah, I get it. It's not 100% true or false as someone else stated, which is funny, because again, people will eat it up as fact whatever he says regardless.
we don't blindly believe him, there just more proof he is legit then he is fake. I think he sometimes post info from sources he should not have trust, but I think he got the write source with this one.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Honestly I thought it was unlikely that Pokemon would get a tenth rep at all. Since they had to revive three fighters in order to do "Everyone is Here," it seemed like they wouldn't go the extra mile and have Pokemon further surpass Mario by hitting the double digits first.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Eh, I never believed the music theory anyway. It's just another case of fans seeing patterns that may or may not being there and trying to predict based on them. It's really no different than "seeing Pac-Man in the clouds" to me.

TheJutin

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-2432-2756-8217
Vergeben is way more credible that the music theory. Vergeben predicted so much stuff for smash and other games. The music theory is a theory. A gen 7 rep is not decomfirmed yet. You have to have Sakurai come out and say “No more Pokémon” to convince me that a Pokémon is reconfirmed.

Pro895YT

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-0484-5702-0521
I was expecting actual Music theory. Not a conspiracy theory about why we won't be getting Decidueye or Incineroar. By that logic wouldn't Ken be deconfirmed as well? Or Bandana Dee, or Geno? You could use this theory to deconfirm almost every representative that is from a franchise already represented in the game.

I think a more likely answer as to why we see music pop up on the page when newcomers from that franchise appear is because Sakurai wants to capitalize on hype even more than he already is doing. If the music theory was true, people would eventually be able to narrow down who the next newcomer(s) are which would lessen the hype for any upcoming Smash Direct that will hopefully happen in the near future. Besides, theorizing like this is one way how we as fans disappoint ourselves constantly. So no, I don't believe in this theory.
Music Theory doesn't include echoes, that's why we can get Dark Samus after Ridley and Brinstar Depths (track) are shown off.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Vergeben is way more credible that the music theory. Vergeben predicted so much stuff for smash and other games. The music theory is a theory. A gen 7 rep is not decomfirmed yet. You have to have Sakurai come out and say “No more Pokémon” to convince me that a Pokémon is reconfirmed.
Still, it doesn't mean that he will get everything right. Vergeben is only human and eventually he will make a mistake and get a character wrong.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
There has yet to be anything that really disproves music theory, other than the word of a "leaker". Personally, I'll stop believing in it when we get a reveal of an unique newcomer that directly contradicts it, and at no point before that. I'll admit that I'd personally quite like it if it's true, since I'm rather apathetic towards the characters that this theory being true would put out of the running, like Geno, Bandana Dee or Incineroar, and it bodes well for the characters I mostly still want, Elma and Isaac.
But even aside from these things, it just makes the most sense to me so far. With music being such a big deal in this pre-release period in contrast to the pre-release period of Smash 4, it would be fitting that each week would have a song from a new series. The amount of franchises that as of right now could realistically still receive a song on the blog also fits with the nine weeks remaining until release, even if there is no other newcomer from a currently unrepresented series.

Last edited:

Bandanna_Waddle_Dee

Smash Apprentice
Music theory means we aren't getting a unique Mario or Pokemon character and frankly, that's hard to believe.

TheJutin

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-2432-2756-8217
Still, it doesn't mean that he will get everything right. Vergeben is only human and eventually he will make a mistake and get a character wrong.
I never said Vergeben is going to be 100% right, I just think the guy is why more credible than a theory.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
Yes, he is only human, and he will get something wrong eventually, but he has still been right many times, and there are many factors that go into why an actual leaker might get something wrong. Characters may get scrapped late into development. There may be a faulty translation somewhere between extracting information and Vergeben's sources. One or more of Vergeben's sources might not be as reliable as they seem and he doesn't know it yet. They could feed Vergeben a hint of false information to ensure the safety of their job and keep feeding him real information. Vergeben may have threw in false information so his sources keep their jobs and continue to feed him real information. Those are just five examples in a leaking machine that has to be near perfect but not too perfect to continue to function for the people who want things spoiled for them.

Whatever his "sources" may be, they're proving to be credible. He has gotten stuff right on many occasions. It's not the bible or anything, but I am more inclined to trust his word over a fan created theory.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Yeah, they can be.

Who's saying we're going to see any Pokémon music when the announcement of another one happens?
We know they do tie music to character reveals. They delayed the Animal Crossing music so that it would coincide with Isabelle's reveal.

Top Bottom