• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The most overrated character in the game

The most overrated character

• Total voters

anas abou

Smash Journeyman
:4marth: (along with :4megaman:) are really overrated, representation =/= good character.

sure he can be rewarding if you can get tippers consistently, but that's about it, he's just a somewhat intuitive character with decent mobility and kill power, he is as mid as a mid tier character can get.

it baffles me how often he's placed higher than characters that are balantly superior (like :4falcon:), he's overhyped and the results show it, even though super top players (mr E comes to mind) are using him, he still never gets top 8 at premier events (700+ entrants).

consider the following : most top tiers can easily win neutral and when they do can combo to about 35% from doing so, a lot of low tiers struggle in winning neutral but can convert a stray hit into about 35%, marth on the other hand is very average in neutral but only gets about 20% or struggles to follow up at all.

sure he can kill early meaning he needs less percent, and he does well enough off-stage but the math means he can't be anything but mid tier, one with a consistent matchup spread but a mid tier nonetheless.

i can assure you that marth will drop several tiers once the hype is dead and people see marth for what really is, a painfully average character.

Palecorn

Smash Rookie
I can see some of your points, but (from the biased perspective of a Marth main) there are a few flaws in your argument.

You compare Marth to Captain Falcon, saying that Captain Falcon is, quote, "blatantly superior". Both have good run speeds (Though Cap. obviously has better run speed), I think that Marth has a better neutral (And I play both characters, so I know at least a little about their neutral), Both have incredible combos, but Marth can combo at higher percents, unlike Cap., both can develop Marthritis at higher percents, and both can edge guard pretty well (Though I think Marth does it better). The two things that makes Marth slightly better than Cap. in my opinion is that Marth has better OOS options, and a better/less predictable recovery than Cap.

You also, in the same paragraph, said that Marth never get's top 8 in Major tournaments. Neither does Cap., yet you still call him "blatantly superior". Cap. rarely places even top 16. Marth mains, in recent times, has been placing a bit better than a lot of Cap. mains (from what I've seen).

I understand that Marth is over hyped, which I think he is, but that's not to say that he's a bad character, like you make him out to be. He was and under represented character, and now that he has been doing well, people get excited. People like rooting for the underdog, and when a Marth main is going up against a top level Shiek or Cloud main, people what to root for him.

But that's just my two cents.

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
:4marth: (along with :4megaman:) are really overrated, representation =/= good character.

sure he can be rewarding if you can get tippers consistently, but that's about it, he's just a somewhat intuitive character with decent mobility and kill power, he is as mid as a mid tier character can get.

it baffles me how often he's placed higher than characters that are balantly superior (like :4falcon:), he's overhyped and the results show it, even though super top players (mr E comes to mind) are using him, he still never gets top 8 at premier events (700+ entrants).

consider the following : most top tiers can easily win neutral and when they do can combo to about 35% from doing so, a lot of low tiers struggle in winning neutral but can convert a stray hit into about 35%, marth on the other hand is very average in neutral but only gets about 20% or struggles to follow up at all.

sure he can kill early meaning he needs less percent, and he does well enough off-stage but the math means he can't be anything but mid tier, one with a consistent matchup spread but a mid tier nonetheless.

i can assure you that marth will drop several tiers once the hype is dead and people see marth for what really is, a painfully average character.
What you're saying has some exaggeration in it but overall you make sense. I agree that he's overrated. Mr. E thinks he's no better than mid-tier (I say upper half of the cast but still mid) and says that getting improved results and representation just make a character top tier.

FallenHero

Smash Ace

As a Marth main, I honestly agree with this to an extent, but I disagree with him being painfully average I think he is more along the lines of slightly above average.

anas abou

Smash Journeyman
You also, in the same paragraph, said that Marth never get's top 8 in Major tournaments. Neither does Cap., yet you still call him "blatantly superior". Cap. rarely places even top 16. Marth mains, in recent times, has been placing a bit better than a lot of Cap. mains (from what I've seen).
Fatality got top 8 at SSC with falcon, meanwhile no marths are in any 700+ entrance top 8 (EVO CEO SSC).
I understand that Marth is overhyped, which I think he is, but that's not to say that he's a bad character, like you make him out to be. He was an underrepresented character, and now that he has been doing well, people get excited.
he isn't bad i never said that, mid-tier =/= bad.

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
Marth is a bit overrated and Lucina is underrated, but before MKLeo, they were both way underrated. So mkleo balanced it out a little bit people are taking Marth too far.

People still don't think Lucina be how she do but she am and more.

Helios980

Smash Rookie
This seems mostly based on opinion, so I`m not going to take issue with most of it, but one thing really stands out to me about this post. You said :4megaman: was overrated... Who have you played with or talked to who thought he was even acceptable? I`m genuinely concerned for that person.

(Edit: you seem to want this character: ≠)

Last edited:
Top Bottom