• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The MKGD: The rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated

iVoltage

$5.99 Abuser

AlanHaTe

Smash Ace
Just can't think about how an Uair with horizontal knockback can do something, sounds really weird for me(haven't played yet)

Last edited:

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
I will enjoy seeing the divisions between sheep and wolves.
Honestly, this is why I'm ok with the upair change. Yeah, upair combo was great and all, but once people started jumping on the bandwagon, thats all he became; upair combo the character. It was getting kinda stupid.

Last edited:

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
Honestly, I'm pretty OK with the Uair nerf since MK received a buff to his neutral to compensate. We've got plenty of other high damaging combos to make up for the loss of the Uair combos damage capabilities.

Last edited:

(Buddha)

The Old Chap
NNID
Buddhamitsu
3DS FC
0920-2087-1604
////////////////////////////////////

Last edited:

Gemba Board

Smash Apprentice
Hm I remember seeing @KuroganeHammer tweeting something about mk fair. Is the landing lag better or something?

Also, uair isn't that bad. We still confirm shuttle loops and the uair chains get harder to link but it's not the end of the world. We still have the tools and setups to stay dominant.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
If anything, I saw it was very possible to combo into Nair, maybe Fair, or maybe even FFUair into keep the position.

I mean, the death combo may be gone, but the juggle potential is still there.
:196:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Hm I remember seeing @KuroganeHammer tweeting something about mk fair. Is the landing lag better or something?

Also, uair isn't that bad. We still confirm shuttle loops and the uair chains get harder to link but it's not the end of the world. We still have the tools and setups to stay dominant.
16 frames of landing lag now, it was 20 before. Its the same as Nair.

They hit Uair with 3 nerfs, increased SDI multiplier, less damage, horizontal angle. Fair is the only thing that got buffed. I prefer calling the sheep: drones.

Last edited:

Meta_X

Smash Apprentice
Hmm after a little initial testing I guess the new upair might not be too terrible (mostly considering game balancing)... A good f-air buff to go with it would make it fine for me...

Tho i feel for top players, I mean it was largely that upair which made him one of the best in the game

And dat new thread title haha... both hilarious and sad :p

Last edited:

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
I'm gonna miss beating scrub MKs that don't I can shadow sneak out of the death combo.........

Hopefully though I'll run into some of you OG Metaknight mains soon! I'm secretly rooting for you, don't tell anyone tho. And the title of the thread is genious too btw.

:150:

busken

Smash Ace
I never thought of dropping MK. It even feels better to have some low percent mix-ups.

Jeronado

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jeronado
3DS FC
0920-1020-8081
Could anyone pass me a link to the Discord group please?

I didn't mind waiting for new info to trickle onto the character board before, but since MK got changed I'd like to know what new things people are finding with him.

Doctor_Link

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Plat002
3DS FC
0259-0882-5580
Can I get some info on how to get discord working, like, at all? Then I'd like the chat.

I'm a scrub, and I actually like this new MK, because it means that not focusing at all on the scrublife death combo benefited in the long run. Lol. Now to see if I can actually make use out of MK.

Btw, the best way to blow off steam is to go play Brawl- Mk.

Last edited:

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
I know a lot of people probably arent too happy about losing the upair combo, but when I look back and see players like this guy:

I'm kind of glad it was nerfed. It's almost as is if casting off the shackles of "the upair death combo" will allow us to soar higher with new advancements in his meta. It's not something that can be relied on to win anymore, and it's going to allow much less flowchart-y play.

NorCal_DSS

Smash Rookie
NNID
DSShoaib
Ghidorah14 Ghidorah14 Hey, nice to meet you. Since you seem to be such a big fan, then you'd have known that I've been using MK since before Evo 2015. In fact, I've only recently learned how to do the Uair strings (funny enough: from the player that discovered it).

If you'd like to see more of my MK gameplay, then here's one of me not doing the combo at all (since I didn't know how to do it):
http://youtu.be/y7Ne0RDX8Js

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
I know a lot of people probably arent too happy about losing the upair combo, but when I look back and see players like this guy:

I'm kind of glad it was nerfed. It's almost as is if casting off the shackles of "the upair death combo" will allow us to soar higher with new advancements in his meta. It's not something that can be relied on to win anymore, and it's going to allow much less flowchart-y play.
>MK playing against Bayonetta
>Complaining about MK instead of Bayonetta

How can anyone be this wrong

Last edited:

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Ghidorah14 Ghidorah14 Hey, nice to meet you. Since you seem to be such a big fan, then you'd have known that I've been using MK since before Evo 2015. In fact, I've only recently learned how to do the Uair strings (funny enough: from the player that discovered it).
Oh yes, I'm secretly a huge fan of flowchart meta knights. ;)

Last edited:

Steelballray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ray-run
3DS FC
1263-8867-0397
Changes are interesting.. It's a blow but MK can and will stay strong. Uair may not lead to death at very early %s like it used to but a single hit of it at mid-high %s such as 70 is more than perfect for an UpB follow-up since they never end up on top of you like they used to but more to the sides where they helplessly beg to be shuttle looped.

I don't know if fair buff will be all that useful but eh.. It used to feel like years of endlag but now it's way better so we take those.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
The Fair buff does not compensate for the nerf at all, only 4 frames? Nope not enough no matter how much positive energy and optimism others put into it. Its a cute present, if another patch comes they should expand on this new direction they want to take MK. He'll dip hard in japan so hopefully he's under Ike, in whatever tier list they make.

How much worse he's gotten is unknown, but he's not as strong or stronger than Pre patch MK who wasn't even fully optimized. His representation has naturally taken a nose dive, the ones who's staying such as Leo,Tyrant(maybe) and Ito(maybe) will not solo MK they have secondaries such as Diddy,Fox and Cloud. They want to win after all.

MKs appearance will be like the good ol dark age of customs/solid mid tier. Don't expect to see him at tournaments, his presence is gone in the meta but then again its only been roughly 2 days. If a character got bodied by uair combos they still do, Samus,Kirby,Peach,Rosa,Pit,Zelda,Jigglypuff. Characters that died below 20% in the first place. They die before they reach the %s where they tumble, heavy weights also go into tumble late so they might suffer still. Requires proper testing.

Last edited:

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
The Fair buff does not compensate for the nerf at all, only 4 frames? Nope not enough no matter how much positive energy and optimism others put into it. Its a cute present, if another patch comes they should expand on this new direction they want to take MK. He'll dip hard in japan so hopefully he's under Ike, in whatever tier list they make.

How much worse he's gotten is unknown, but he's not as strong or stronger than Pre patch MK who wasn't even fully optimized. His representation has naturally taken a nose dive, the ones who's staying such as Leo,Tyrant(maybe) and Ito(maybe) will not solo MK they have secondaries such as Diddy,Fox and Cloud. They want to win after all.

MKs appearance will be like the good ol dark age of customs/solid mid tier. Don't expect to see him at tournaments, his presence is gone in the meta but then again its only been roughly 2 days. If a character got bodied by uair combos they still do, Samus,Kirby,Peach,Rosa,Pit,Zelda,Jigglypuff. Characters that died below 20% in the first place. They die before they reach the %s where they tumble, heavy weights also go into tumble late so they might suffer still. Requires proper testing.
I wouldn't be so negative. Just because the angle on one of his moves slightly changed doesn't mean he'll go from being a top-tier character to a mid-tier one overnight. Honestly, I think he could still be in the top 15. It just means we can no longer rely on one thing to take stocks really early. It doesn't change MK's core viability.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
I don't think im being negative, im somewhat reasonable rn. This nerf is being downplayed a ton.

On another note.

Still pissed there's no Alex trailer or patch release. Like damn.

Last edited:

Drippy

Smash Ace

Glad I'm not the only who feels the nerf is really being downplayed and the fair buff looking way too exaggerated. Sticking with MK and labbing uair combos (**** I don't think ppl realized he had b4) instead if whining but it puzzles me how many people think he's so much better now.

Yσנιмιтѕυ

Sm4sh Modder / Graphic Design
NNID
yojimitsu
I wouldn't be so negative. Just because the angle on one of his moves slightly changed doesn't mean he'll go from being a top-tier character to a mid-tier one overnight. Honestly, I think he could still be in the top 15. It just means we can no longer rely on one thing to take stocks really early. It doesn't change MK's core viability.
You're wrong, it does change his core viability - simply because that single BnB combo WAS his core viability.

We will never see a Metaknight beat the likes of Mr.R or Nairo again. Ever.

This is the reality of the situation, get used to it.

busken

Smash Ace
My thoughts on the MK changes

I am happy that MK was nerfed. To be honest, being able to 0-death somebody without any reads was so rewarding it kinda felt unrewarding, especially when I would end up losing that match, which would show how good I really was as a player. The combo was also the reason why many of you flocked to this board like sheep looking for a brain dead combo to get you to victory, so hopefully, that will stop.

Just to clear things up, you are only an idiot if you think post patch MK is better than pre-patch MK. 4 frames of landing lag reduced on like a frame 13 doesn't make up for the fact that you could kill mario at 14% from dash attack to u-airs with no rage. I really hate dumbass statements, so hopefully I won't see any of that anymore.

MK is definitely not as good as he used to be, but that doesn't mean he is no longer viable. He is still a good character imo, and can still place as high as he used to, just with more skill required.

I am working on seeing how far his punish game can be pushed now, and will continue optimizing as I have always been doing.

Last edited:

Magnemite

Smash Cadet
You're wrong, it does change his core viability - simply because that single BnB combo WAS his core viability.

We will never see a Metaknight beat the likes of Mr.R or Nairo again. Ever.

This is the reality of the situation, get used to it.
I really don't know where MK will stand after this but this is way too pessimistic, lol. At the very least, Leo is still using MK, and even if MK ends up being mid tier that still doesn't mean he won't do anything notable ever, Blue beat Nairo with 1.1.3 for example and MK is /probably/ better than that (plus MK still beats Rosa who will only get more common)

Top Bottom