• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The MKGD: The rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated

(Buddha)

The Old Chap
NNID
Buddhamitsu
3DS FC
0920-2087-1604
Gotcha. What's this trigger jumping I'm hearing about? Is that just using a trigger and Cstick for the aerial string? That's what I've been doing lately.
It is all up to reference. Personally, I like tap jump.

Twiranitar

Smash Cadet
Got 4th out of 60 players in my very first Smash Bros. tournament. (Also, it was the first time I played in Wii U :]). Went solo MK, managed to do the BnB on a Robin player and everyone was like "WTF is that satanical ****!?" (Here, the community is rather small so nobody knows about the combo).

In quarters I faced a pretty decent Falcon, the match was close and I won with a clutch D-tilt on the ledge 2-frame vulnerability, gimping him. He (dude looked a lot like Mango lol) said GG and left. The TO said to me "Congratulations, you're on semis now."
What I didn't know is that the Falcon said he won, so I was left out of the tournament. Asked for a refund and they gave it to me so no problem. Anyways, I wanted to share my experience with the bat cave.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Got 4th out of 60 players in my very first Smash Bros. tournament. (Also, it was the first time I played in Wii U :]). Went solo MK, managed to do the BnB on a Robin player and everyone was like "WTF is that satanical ****!?" (Here, the community is rather small so nobody knows about the combo).

In quarters I faced a pretty decent Falcon, the match was close and I won with a clutch D-tilt on the ledge 2-frame vulnerability, gimping him. He (dude looked a lot like Mango lol) said GG and left. The TO said to me "Congratulations, you're on semis now."
What I didn't know is that the Falcon said he won, so I was left out of the tournament. Asked for a refund and they gave it to me so no problem. Anyways, I wanted to share my experience with the bat cave.
Congrats on doing so well in your first event.

That Falcon player is a **** though.

busken

Smash Ace
Bayonetta bullets didnt hit pikachu so it probably wont hit us
If it does though that would be a very annoying to deal with

AlanHaTe

Smash Ace
This is in the community patch notes thread. What does it mean? I really don't understand

:4metaknight:Meta Knight --- Facing restriction set to zero on some unknown 1.5/1.0 damage subroutine hitboxes

Kaffei

Smash Hero
This is in the community patch notes thread. What does it mean? I really don't understand

:4metaknight:Meta Knight --- Facing restriction set to zero on some unknown 1.5/1.0 damage subroutine hitboxes

No idea, I have not noticed much changes at all

ZTD | TECHnology

I'll ask one of the lab monsters what that might be. Its probably really innocuous but I don't like the idea of not knowing what's going on with my character.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Patches are coming to an end soon, so when are we gonna seriously knuckle down on discussions(more advice based not ratio based)?

Is now the good time or should we wait until Bayo comes out?

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
Patches are coming to an end soon, so when are we gonna seriously knuckle down on discussions(more advice based not ratio based)?

Is now the good time or should we wait until Bayo comes out?
We had a thing going there for a while, but Jamurai Jamurai got busy, WTF jamurai.

Quite a few of us know the matchups pretty well, honestly we could do a pretty good job imo as of right now (patch changes tho)

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
Actually I was gonna suggest the same thing now that my thesis is done, and now that all remaining characters have been announced it seems like a good idea. Apologies that the writeups ground to a halt. The Sheik one is still half-written lol...

Based on this last patch the February one probably won't change much in terms of top-tier matchups unless they change us directly. They seem to be going more towards the "carefully buff less viable characters" route atm, and since we will be doing top tiers/harder matchups first and foremost, the near future seems as good a time as any.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
Once patches are over, I'll seriously consider studying Meta Knight's kill confirm percentages. I don't see the point doing it right now when patches change the game so much each patch with nerfs being so random. Lucario's only amazing move Aura Sphere got trashed this patch, yet ZSS and Shiek were left alone. Mostly going to primarily focus on Diddy Kong right now since I feel like that character is safe from nerfs after being hit so hard two patches in a row. :/

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Lucario got his mobility buffed FOH.

I don't think MK will get nerfed at all, you can tell that some characters are done(Sheik,Mario,ZSS,Fox,Ness,Ike,MK ect) what more can they do? Thats why they're buffing the fodde-weaker characters.

Damage buffs? Frame data buffs? Anything which is perfectly fine, the gap between the top tiers(mainly Sheik and ZSS) to the rest of the cast is big anyway.

Last edited:

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
Lucario had his best move massively nerfed and his movement massively buffed, which is insanely random. Who would have expected that to happen? I don't think they're going to change Meta knight at this point, but I never know with Sakurai. He's completely random with patches.

ZTD | TECHnology

I think that the way the game is currently going, we're probably better off getting a head start and re-visiting the discussions and pushing for metagame advancement. The characters that are better than Meta Knight have been relatively left alone (minus a few really insignificant nerfs from the past few patches) so odds are: the Meta Knight we have now is likely the one we'll be keeping. And honestly, even with patches, it's never a waste of time to talk about metagame stuff if that information is being properly utilized during the time that it's relevant. You can't be afraid to discuss this stuff just because of patches. Adaptation is a necessary trait regardless.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
While adaption is an important trait, I'm absolutely horrible at adapting, which is why I still get last place at half the tournament I go to. -_- In terms of figuring out permanent mains (among other things), I'm waiting until the last patch since we're likely to get it in February. So in the meantime, I'm going to primarily focus on Diddy Kong and experiment with character. MK will remain my second most used character for the time being, but I'm not going to memorize an insane amount of information until patches are done. My memory issue are insanely bad and I don't want my time with the game to go into something that'll be a waste in the long run because of a random nerf.

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
zss definitely needs some amendments, new discoveries changed the mu a lot.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
Shiek is the bigger problem as there is literally NO counter to her. ZSS has a lot of matchups that are debatably even or flat out not in her favor. The fact Shiek has been top two in every patch is absolutely baffling.

ZTD | TECHnology

I want to talk about Cloud. Specifically:

1. Is anyone labbing Death Combo percents for this character?

2. First impressions of the MU?

3. Cloud as a doubles partner (I really see potential here - being the doubles expert here - !!)

Thoughts?

Or do I need to hop back on Skype?

Last edited:

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
Cloud would probably be a pretty amazing doubles character. MK's back throw to Finish Touch, good god...

Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

Tech, the 1st thing we did when we brought cloud was finding the uair percents. Thid ain't no game tech.
I figured, I just needed to be sure.

Any chance I can see this info? I have a weekly event today, it's the last tournament of the PR season, and there WILL be Clouds everywhere. I've played with the character long enough to know what to expect but I wanna know how to end his stocks since time is not on our side in that MU due to Limit Break/Finishing Touch.

Last edited:

busken

Smash Ace
yh im also kinda scared for MK basically a nerf on the DA angle or KBG can seriously hinder the character.
I honestly doubt this confirm will stay in the game, but when characters like ZSS can covert a kill of literally anything and get untouched, I feel safe lol

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Lets not forget Nario and Choco ****ing ****** up at that Japanese tournament taking advantage of everything she has to offer(i know for a fact there were a bunch of 0 to deaths there) then get BUFFED indirectly the next patch.

N~W .

Smash Cadet
Just got Cloud today. I'm starting to lab a lot with him regarding MK's combo game vs Cloud.

Right now it seems good. We get a good amount of opportunities to link into our staple combo and he feels like he's a fast faller so we'll get some good early percent combos on him because of that.

I couldn't say too much about the match-up. I'll need to wait until I get back to London to play some Cloud players but from first glance, seems we'll have to take the 'Lil Mac' approach in it.

Point being, we'll have to play our standard game whilst watching out for his aerials like his nair, jabs and his projectile and back off to playing safe by utilising our dair camping and down b once he gets limit.

ZTD | TECHnology ZTD | TECHnology , if you want, I'll PM you my findings. It's training mode stuff mixed with some rage findings for uairs to up b but it should help you out.

ZTD | TECHnology

Just got Cloud today. I'm starting to lab a lot with him regarding MK's combo game vs Cloud.

Right now it seems good. We get a good amount of opportunities to link into our staple combo and he feels like he's a fast faller so we'll get some good early percent combos on him because of that.

I couldn't say too much about the match-up. I'll need to wait until I get back to London to play some Cloud players but from first glance, seems we'll have to take the 'Lil Mac' approach in it.

Point being, we'll have to play our standard game whilst watching out for his aerials like his nair, jabs and his projectile and back off to playing safe by utilising our dair camping and down b once he gets limit.

ZTD | TECHnology ZTD | TECHnology , if you want, I'll PM you my findings. It's training mode stuff mixed with some rage findings for uairs to up b but it should help you out.
You have my thanks.

Oh also got 9th out of like 75 (something around that number). I got bodied by Ryuga's Cloud but yeah he's a great player using a character I have no idea how to actually fight lmao. I had to swap to :4falcon: to have a chance. I also lost to a :4zss: in Loser's. Gotta get better at that MU again. I did beat a pretty good :4ryu: in Winner's. That was fun. That MU is so scary but I actually really enjoy it. Footsies battle.:4ryu: also looks like a lot of fun to play too haha. This guy had me wanting to play as him. I wonder how hard he is to play.

The ranking season ends tomorrow but that was my last event for it so I'm hoping for the best.

Last edited:

Yσנιмιтѕυ

Sm4sh Modder / Graphic Design
NNID
yojimitsu
I JUST THOUGHT OF THIS: why don't we bring back the "Rufio" as a name to call the uair > shuttle loop combo? Who remembers the rufio?

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
I JUST THOUGHT OF THIS: why don't we bring back the "Rufio" as a name to call the uair > shuttle loop combo? Who remembers the rufio?
No thx

btw it's the RUFIO! RUFIO! RUFIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Best followed up by some smash dashing

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Cus rufio is uair nado

uair up b should be somethin else idk

I want to talk about Cloud. Specifically:

2. First impressions of the MU?

Or do I need to hop back on Skype?

His grab game and recovery hurt him a lot, like at least Marth can kill throw us with rage uthrow at like 140, Cloud doesn't have any kill throws and almost no kill combos

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Hey, guys,
First time posting on this thread. For two months I've been working on this guide, editing, tweaking and whatnot.
It's good as is, and I'm taking a break from editing.

http://smashboards.com/guides/the-sword-the-up-aerial-and-the-shuttle-loop.673/

It's pretty long, and there's bound to be misinformation there.
Don't forget to rate and review!

> Disproportionately high priority, being a sword character

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyCLnC-ejPQ watch this video because I don't think you actually understand what priority is in this game

it's basically because most of his hitboxes are disjointed

> fair; Can catch air dodges

not true since fair is out on frame 9, 12, and 15, which is an overall frame window of 7 frames. air dodges on average last for more than 20 frames

I don't really like the section where it compares him to Brawl MK because it has nothing to do with Smash 4 MK. Just leave it out imo.

im pretty sure dash attack is not disjointed

uair being able to auto cancel out of a sh is not useless, if they are right above you and you uair and they air dodge, you can cover their landing immediately with a grab/dash attack/dtilt since you will have normal landing lag

mk's up b names are irrelevant

clarify in the fthrow section that it can be hard to DI specifically because the throw animation is very short

MK's uthrow is decent as a kill throw, will kill Sheik at 153% on Smashville with 0 rage, so with rage even earlier

Leave the part about Melee out because it's irrelevant

didn't read the rest cus it's 5am

Last edited:

Dr. Shades

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5069-4356-8577
I know it's a stupid name but I want to call his combo

"The Ticket to Heaven"

As MK starts the combo I can just imagine the opponent saying,

"No! Not like this! I just wanted to kill you that's all!"

Then as the final Up-air in connected at the top of the blast zone MK says,

"Enjoy the ride mi amigo. Tell the Ice Climbers(or some other veteran) I said hello."

Then we can sit back as the combo is complete and their spinning body fades into the background.

Last edited:
Top Bottom