• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The MKGD: The rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated

IAmMetaKnight

The Strongest Warrior in the Galaxy
NNID
Munn_D_C
3DS FC
2251-5635-7276
And brag about it in other social threads.
This guy changed his name specifically to troll and brags about it on another forum and nothing happens.

I can make one post that isn't even a direct flame and I get infracted for it.

What a joke.
Excuse me, but am I missing something? Is this about me or is it something unrelated? I'm sorry if I caused anything/offended anyone or anything along those lines. I was truly just trying to get a laugh out of someone (not necessarily you guys (to be honest, I was expecting some negative/mildly irritated reactions, but nothing along these lines)). Me posting your reactions in the RST wasn't to brag so much as it was to share in the laughs with the folks back there. Again, I apologize if this came of as rude or remotely troll-like. I didn't expect you guys would care or make any big deal out of it. If you don't want me posting those kinds of things on other threads, I'll stop. Again, I'm sorry it went down that road, as it wasn't supposed to.

Is there any way I can make it up to you guys? If there's any way I can make amends, don't be afraid to step up and ask me.

:4metaknight:

Last edited:

IAmMetaKnight

The Strongest Warrior in the Galaxy
NNID
Munn_D_C
3DS FC
2251-5635-7276
Just stay out of this thread for the next, say, eternity, and we'll be good.
I've ever contributed anything significant to this thread, and may never do so, but I may end up involved in something meta-related eventually; I can't promise I'll never come back. But I'll leave you alone for the time being.

:4metaknight:

Vhaltz

Smash Cadet
Hey there!

I've been using Meta Knight as a pocket character for the last month and found, to my surprise, that I do much better with MK against players I have trouble with than with my mains.
I'm gonna be putting more time into him now that I can play with friends offline so I'd like to join the skype chat.

Breakout

Smash Rookie
NNID
Plataypus72
Hey everyone I'm changing mains from Yoshi to meta knight he fits how I like to play perfectly, and I'm having a lot more fun with the game as a result.
Just wanted to introduce myself.

Twiranitar

Smash Cadet
Mr. R said on stream that he is planning on co-maining Sheik and MK. Thoughts? I believe MK's popularity is going to rise... again :lol:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
I scratch my head when people who main sheik and zss 2 of the best characters in the game, want to co main or secondary MK who doesn't cover any MUs they struggle with(lol they struggle with no one). Such logic.

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
MK probably has a better Pikachu matchup than ZSS. That's literally it though. Doesn't make logical sense in Mr R's case but he probably just wants to have fun with another character.

*Actually to be fair everyone knows the Sheik matchup nowadays, if he's struggling against a certain player in tournament he could use his secondary to give him a better chance since they will almost certainly know the MK MU much less. Having a secondary is a good idea for pretty much every player cause it makes you less predictable and more able to mix it up and change the momentum of a match.

Last edited:

tyro8

Smash Apprentice
NNID
tyro888
In Paragon Mr.R twitted something saying that his sheik wasnt on point and that he felt happy that he had secondaries to cover him.

idk if its me but i dont like that MK is getting that much popularity because then people are gonna be more mad about him and be like "oh *** nerf mk he is op" and they main sheik when MK neutral is poor. I havent decided a secondary i have been thinking on :4fox::4pikachu::4pacman::rosalina::4zss::4greninja::4diddy::4kirby::4myfriends::4shulk::4ryu: i think ryu will be good but i still have to buy him

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Hello all, new aspiring MK player here. New season in my region and I decided I'd like to switch and use a different character for once. I had a hard time choosing, but in the end I went with MK since he's one of my favorite Nintendo characters in general (I even have quit a few childhood memories of unlocking him in Kirby Air Ride, where I would use him and nothing but him after I got him), I like how he plays in this game, and he seems like he has the opposite playstyle as my main :4megaman: and would make an ok backup (I say OK because I am aware of his high learning curve and that its going to take time to actually get good with him): Mega Man has a fantastic neutral but weak advantage, Meta Knight has a bad neutral but great advantage. I'm on Day 3 of learning the ropes with him, had some ups and downs so far playing For Glory but I hope to come here to learn a bit more from you guys :). I'm training MK in secret from my buddies and the other tournament people I meet up with, I wanna surprise em when I get the character down and knock em' off their socks. Since he's a hard character to learn, I know its gonna be a long road and not everyone would recommend it, but I think it'll be totally worth it in the end.

In Paragon Mr.R twitted something saying that his sheik wasnt on point and that he felt happy that he had secondaries to cover him.

idk if its me but i dont like that MK is getting that much popularity because then people are gonna be more mad about him and be like "oh *** nerf mk he is op" and they main sheik when MK neutral is poor. I havent decided a secondary i have been thinking on :4fox::4pikachu::4pacman::rosalina::4zss::4greninja::4diddy::4kirby::4myfriends::4shulk::4ryu: i think ryu will be good but i still have to buy him
On a seperate note, just a little heads up but while I'm none too experienced with MK, I don't think most any of those characters would be a good secondary at all. More than half of the characters you mentioned have a notoriously high learning curve and take quite a lot of time and dedication to master, and usually aren't worth having as a secondary because of tha, especially when MK is already a technical character.
  • Fox, Pikachu, Pac-Man and Rosa are good characters but they're all really complicated to get good with and take time to learn.
  • As a Greninja user myself, he's really good for the most part (top 15 even imo) but he's very difficult too and I most definitely wouldn't advise having him as a secondary. You'd probably want to master your main first before picking him up or solo main him if you wanted to be really and truly viable with him.
  • Ryu is very good and many say he's top tier (a PR member in my region who mains him told me he thinks otherwise tho, unfortunately I forgot to ask why), but he's probably the very antithesis of easy.
  • I don't think Kirby's learning curve is too high, but he's kinda 'meh' and I couldn't really see him winning any matchups MK wouldn't already. Correct me if I'm wrong, though
  • Shulk is both bad and has a ridiculous learn curve, probably the last one listed that I'd go for, personally. Bad frame data + learning how to manage and make use of his Arts makes for an extremely difficult character and not too great a character at that.
Of the ones listed, ZSS would probably be your best bet. I wouldn't exactly say I think she's easy, but she doesn't require crazy high amounts of in-depth character knowledge like the others and takes requires more general fundamentals to learn than anything else, and she's real good tier-wise. I don't know enough about Ike or Diddy (only because he got nerfed, and I never bothered to study him much after that) tho, so I'll shut up here.

These are all my two cents tho, take it all with a grain of salt.

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92

I recommend Fox, he's fun as hell and less difficult to use that he seems. He also does relatively well against ZSS (particularly), Sheik and Greninja, our toughest matchups. He is more or less even with MK too so you can use him to avoid the horrible ditto.

A lot of those characters are fairly deep to learn but as long as you dedicate some time to them and don't try to learn three of them at once you should be fine. Rosa, ZSS and Greninja are also good choices I think.

I'm on Day 3 of learning the ropes with him, had some ups and downs so far playing For Glory but I hope to come here to learn a bit more from you guys :).
Don't try to learn MK on FG, you will tear your hair out. He is so frustrating to play as online. I'd recommend getting his combos down and practising them on CPUs if you want to keep him a secret pick, but practising his weird neutral against your friends would probably be way more helpful.

Also hello :grin:

Last edited:

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
So I suppose an update is probably in order, if there's a new season approaching. Just a note, there isn't anyone to play locally, so this is based on online play. I've had some relative success with :4metaknight:, moreso than :4lucina:, probably due to :4metaknight: being of a higher tier though. Regardless, I've been messing with quite a few characters just to see how they play:
:4mario: :rosalina: :4link: :4zelda: :4marth: :4feroy: :4kirby: :4dedede: :4mewtwo: :4greninja: :4lucario: :4falcon:
Right now I'm uncertain on secondaries, but with having 2 mains, probably better to focus on them and make sure they even out properly. Ah yes, and I definitely intend to experiment with :4cloud: as SOON as he is made available.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
which aerial?. and i noticed that must of the MK mains have a diddy if he good for us?
Diddy Kong is one of the best compliments to Meta Knight. In terms of matchups, Diddy Kong either wins or goes near even with nearly every bad matchup MK has besides Shiek, but everyone loses to Shiek. Though both MK and Diddy Kong fare better against Shiek compared to most of the roster.

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
Frame canceled nair and uair on tall fighters... and those aren't even that useful. Uair is kinda neat tho, you can confirm zss with it at like 45% to a death combo.

As for secondaries the best ones are, imo: :4mario::rosalina::4sheik::4pit::4diddy:

EDIT: a word

Last edited:

N~W .

Smash Cadet
Sorry I ain't been around as much as of late. Been busy with Uni studies so I can't attend London events as much.

Old news but I choked hard at DBZ 7 not even making it out of pools. Definitely my worst performance to date with :4metaknight:. The good thing is that it's given me enough time to start refining what currently sucks about my game to improve it.

In terms of secondaries, I've been using :4bowser: and:4dedede: but I've been using :4wario2: mainly to explore what he can do. Potentially if they free :wolf:via DLC, I may consider him as a secondary too but right now, :4wario2: is too much fun.

I know :4wario2: doesn't do that well vs :4zss:, :4sheik: and :4greninja: but I find him pretty good vs :4sonic: and one of our best players plays him. I haven't gotten a chance to play that match-up properly yet but come after Xmas, I'll be around in the scene for a month to practice up on my characters. Preferably :4wario2: since he hasn't gotten any tournament exposure yet.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Yesterday's results:

3rd in doubles. Forgot how many teams. 4th in singles out of 32. Lost to 1st and 3rd place. Videos were linked in the video thread. Getting better but still have much work to do.

Furret24

Smash Master
Yesterday's results:

3rd in doubles. Forgot how many teams. 4th in singles out of 32. Lost to 1st and 3rd place. Videos were linked in the video thread. Getting better but still have much work to do.
Congrats on doing that well in a tournament.

AlanHaTe

Smash Ace
I got 3rd about two weeks ago, forgot to mention that lol
I lost to one of the best ryus in Mexico I think(not sure lol) who is actually the best player in my city, and some G&W, I didn't know what to do and he combo'd me horribly it was like free 40% from any thing he could combo from, and a random 9 killed me 3rd game ;(
I really missed Brawl's GSL for that MU =_=

Ghostbone

Smash Master
MK is a really dumb combination of weight and fall speed for G&W stuff tbh, he'll get like 40% for free on you if he grabs you at low %s.
So avoid that like the plague, and get consistent at comboing him off the top since he's light and very vulnerable to it.

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
Holy ****, abadango gets a confirm of short hop uair to punish zss short hop, cause she doesn't have rising aerial options. This actually changes the matchup dynamic so much

tyro8

Smash Apprentice
NNID
tyro888
he was looking for that the hole match that makes ZSS neutral game in that match a tiny bit more difficult for her but she can still SH u air or SH Zair so i dunno if the MU changes. and i knew that a frame cancelled aerial would be useful for MK.

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
On holiday in Germany atm. Walked past a guy with a t-shirt which said "I main Kirby". Coincidentally I was wearing my "Kirby sucks" t-shirt underneath my jumper. Thought about flashing him it but nah. In other news, currywurst is delicious.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
ZSSs will eventually learn to Ftilt/Utilt OOS on this matchup to make the Uair confirms more of a mixup/hard read thing.
:196:

AlanHaTe

Smash Ace
MK is a really dumb combination of weight and fall speed for G&W stuff tbh, he'll get like 40% for free on you if he grabs you at low %s.
So avoid that like the plague, and get consistent at comboing him off the top since he's light and very vulnerable to it.
That was exactly what happened, I tried avoiding the grabs once I saw how awful things got when that happened, but still I got grabbed after to get killed and stuff ._.

And that SH was pretty amazing, I wouldn't have gone for the Shuttle Loop thinking it wouldn't kill lol

In other news, today I had free time to practice my jab lock setups on the tourneys/fests place, but I had a lot of trouble with it, the timing is super weird, and when I thought I understood how it works/timing for everything, I had even more trouble for other things. I never thought I'd have that much trouble to get it to work... I was practicing using one combo on Falco(tried with Fox too most of the time) someone posted here that was Bthrow > Dash attack > Turn around Uair > FF Bair 1st hit > Dtilt to lock x2(?) > Utilt > Uairs > Shuttle Loop > Happy MK

I found some inconsistencies I had when hitting with the Bair's first hit.
Sometimes Fox fell pretty hard and then bounced, so the Dtilt never hit because of the bounce.
Other times, Dtilt simply wouldn't lock because I don't know what.

How does it work exactly? I never understood what exactly triggered each kind of "knockback" of spike or whatever it may be called. I'm pretty confused about it and I really couldn't make it right so I stopped having issues and making it consistently. Any help?

EDIT: It was Amadeus9 Amadeus9 who posted the combo I mentioned.

Last edited:

AlanHaTe

Smash Ace
I'm not sure about Dtilt not locking, but I know that in order to have them not bounce of the ground, you have to start fast falling right after the second hit of bair connects. Ito made a video on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evpcBCUYimU&index=55&list=LL7OVkbL_CN45mZSpZmS6e9Q
Interesting, I would've never thought that something like that would affect the fall speed, it's pretty weird, but maybe knowing that will help me to adjust the timing on everything.
About Dtilt not locking and forcing the reset, it happens when you do it too late. The thing is that I couldn't do it earlier because of the very small time I had to do all the inputs(turn around, Dtilt/avoid messing the input with Dsmash lol)

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
he was looking for that the hole match that makes ZSS neutral game in that match a tiny bit more difficult for her but she can still SH u air or SH Zair so i dunno if the MU changes. and i knew that a frame cancelled aerial would be useful for MK.
Zss short hop is too high to hit you with uair or zair. She doesn't have rising aerials. And I used it in tournament last night, it's actually real good. Zss mains love lovvvvve to short hop.

Last edited:

tyro8

Smash Apprentice
NNID
tyro888
Then ZSS cant use a big part of her neutral and if she whiffes the grab is like free DA or shuttle loop she can OOS f tilt or u tilt like kyokoro said and she has paralyzer. And how do u play D pit i would use him but i hate how his recovery doesn't have a hitbox.

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
Then ZSS cant use a big part of her neutral and if she whiffes the grab is like free DA or shuttle loop she can OOS f tilt or u tilt like kyokoro said and she has paralyzer. And how do u play D pit i would use him but i hate how his recovery doesn't have a hitbox.
Dark Pit is there to represent my edgy side

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Watching Ito playing Falln and there was so many SH Uair situations. There were 4 occasions where Falln would SH over Ito over and over to avoid dash attack, literally above MKs head.

SH is a huge thing for ZSS in this MU, it helps her avoid DA and punish with Nair, Nair is dumb on block, SH Bair ect. If the ZSS user wants to resort to OOS Utilt and Ftilt then that's great, she's no longer keeping us out.

MKs SH is ridiculously short as well.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
5th out of 69 yesterday (lost to 1st and 3rd...I'm noticing a pattern here lmao) I had a chance of winning it but nerves totally got the better of me. I did get another PR win though. Almost had Regralht this time. His Yoshi is so good.

Getting better. Just gotta work on the nerves again. Once I get that down, I'll be on the right track.

Last edited:
Top Bottom