• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The MKGD: The rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Sounds awesome! Definately something I'll start doing as well once I feel that I've got the hang of the general playstyle. Still not used to the pretty lackluster neutral, coming from mega man with his awesome neutral. I feel like I gotta take care of that first before trying to implement complicated 0-deaths etc.

Yeah gotta walk before you can run. I've been playing Meta Knight since April and this is how this is been going:

April: "Holy ****, I have no neutral. How do I Meta Knight?"

May: "Okay I can do this. I think. Time to work on bread and butter combos"

June: "I've got the bread and butter down. Why do I keep screwing up my Up Air chains??"

July: "I can Up Air chain now! Why do I keep missing my Shuttle Loops <_<"

August: "Okay I can end stocks pretty consistently from Up Air Chains. Now I gotta work on more closely my footstool stuff. 0 to death baby."

^ My progress in a nutshell.

Lufos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lufosf
3DS FC
0087-2359-1559
Yeah gotta walk before you can run. I've been playing Meta Knight since April and this is how this is been going:

June: "I've got the bread and butter down. Why do I keep screwing up my Up Air chains??"

August: "Okay I can end stocks pretty consistently from Up Air Chains. Now I gotta work on more closely my footstool stuff. 0 to death baby."

Your story is inspirational and I'm rooting for you in your local this week! Got one as well at saturday. Gonna bring out my bat then and see what I can do with him, hopefully getting some nice footage to show :)

ZTD | TECHnology

Your story is inspirational and I'm rooting for you in your local this week! Got one as well at saturday. Gonna bring out my bat then and see what I can do with him, hopefully getting some nice footage to show :)

It just requires hard work and dedication. That's what I love about playing Meta Knight. He feels good and honest. And thank you. Good luck to you as well. Just do your best and learn as much as you can.

Lufos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lufosf
3DS FC
0087-2359-1559

I actually think this is something every new MK player should read, and aim for, like a sort of staircase. "The process of learning MK" or something ;)

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
I see more MKs are chasing their opponents in the air while facing the other way. It's a good way to have the opponent in check with both Bair and Uair/shuttleloop.
@ Katakiri Katakiri 's videos from his latest tournament are a great learning experience.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
It's been mentioned time and again that fair is our worst move (not necessarily a bad move, just our least impressive/useful) and one thing I find interesting is that fair had a great use at launch since the second hit meteored. Opponent misses their tech and they get hit with the first two hits of fair, up to 3 dtilts and then a finisher of choice, Best options that come to mind are either fsmash or nado.

I don't believe fair, dtilt or any move for that matter of ours got damage percentage tweaked (I know fthrow got fixed though so it does it's intended damage to the entire cast). I could always test this myself or look it up somewhere in the MK boards but how much damage did a 'perfect' fair 'string' do back then? Two hits of fair, 3 dtilts at most and 20% from nado that sounds like it'd be mid to high 30s or low 40s in terms of percent. Pretty sure we could only manage that at low percents and I wonder if we'd be deemed 'broken' if we still had that. I mean, Sheik has her fthrow/dthrow to fair strings, Ness has dthrow to fair, Luigi has...a lot, like dthrow into pretty much any aerial you desire and Yoshi has an aerial that can do as much as a Warlock Punch so would it truly be outlandish if we got our old fair back?

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Hey guys im new, i wanted to pick up MK for a while but =after Leo beat Mr R i picked him up again. I got a question for you guys, even though there's a thread at the top of the boards and it tells me to ask a question there in caps, i wanna ask it here just because.

How do you uair combo? I cant do it to save my life, i miss them all the time, i see Leo do it so why cant i? Is there an easy method? Maybe there's an easy mode gem i can use like in Street fighter X Tekken.

Also is MK a sheik counter?

Pls halp guys.

Last edited:

Qazoo306

Smash Cadet
It isn't easy and I'll admit that I'm inconsistent with it myself, but my method is binding the L button to jump and tapping up and A to do my up airs. The combo is percent specific and takes alotmof practice. One trick is to wait between your up airs and go left or right to read their DI.

MK doesn't counter Sheik, but he has a closer to even matchup compared to most of the rest of the cast. The trick to the MU is to jump out of her combos rather air dodge. We have 6 air jumps, we can spare one to save ourselves 40%.

I definitely am not the best person on the forums to answer this, but I know some stuff. I hope this helps.

Qazoo306

Smash Cadet
Proof I'm not a sheep :]

So I'm hoping I'll be able to go to a tournament this weekend. I was hoping to go to SKATAR, especially after I saw @ Katakiri Katakiri was among the entrants, but I can't go to that because I'm busy on Saturday :[. I'm hoping to go to a monthly tournament that's close to my home that runs Melee PM and Smash 4. I plan on playing in at least 1 of PM and Melee and definitely playing smash 4. Any advice on getting over nerves and not choking horribly. I know I'm not a top player who'll get first with ease, but I want to go and win at least 1 full set in bracket. It'll be my 2 tournament for each game, and I'd like to do well. Any advice would be appreciated.

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
Any advice on getting over nerves and not choking horribly. I know I'm not a top player who'll get first with ease, but I want to go and win at least 1 full set in bracket. It'll be my 2 tournament for each game, and I'd like to do well. Any advice would be appreciated.
If it's your first tournament then I wouldn't set any expectations, so you have nothing to be nervous about (I've heard that everyone says you get bodied at your first tourney anyway). Playing at tourneys with crowds behind you and the opponent etc is a skill in itself I think. Go there with the mentality that it's a learning experience, thus as long as you learn something, the tournament has been a success. Also get some headphones if you think it's going to be busy so you can listen to music to block out loud people and maintain focus.

Doctor_Link

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Plat002
3DS FC
0259-0882-5580
Random question, are there any MKs who go to Shockwave? I know Fye left last week, and he's the only one I've seen. Though, I haven't gotten through 5 sets yet.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
I can't actually go to SKTAR unfortunately. My travel plans fell apart at the last minute.:(

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Are you cereal???? That sucks man.

Well ****, who's gonna rep MK there now????? No i don't want some random ass bandwagon MK that only just picked him up and sucks.

Maybe maaaaaaaybe Tyrant will go and Mr R(He along with Ally are the only new MKs that aren't booty unless im missing someone).

ZTD | TECHnology

I'm ****ing done with the Yoshi MU.

Lost to 2 Yoshis today, choked hella hard on stream and got 9th out of 68 again. I hate that thing so much.

busken

Smash Ace
LOL @ ZTD | TECHnology ZTD | TECHnology

I'm lazy as **** lol. After 1 hour of practice, I was able to do 0-deaths after watching Bonk's video. Then, after a few days, I can easily do it on smashladder and for glory. It just goes to show that EVERYBODY has the potential to be the best in their craft if they put in the work.

Edit: Seeing you labbing and your progress inspires me to lab my **** up. Haven't really been to big tournaments yet but I'm planning to go to Temple for some practice tourneys.

Last edited:

Urameshi_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ban00dle
i'm having a controller crisis guys, since moving to vegas i've had the opportunity to get to more tournaments but a new problem arose.

i've been using a pro all this time and prefer it over anything else honestly. i can do all my footstool and jab lock set ups, i can efficiently fast fall my uairs when needed. it feels like the pro is meant for mk mains.

but after my most recent tournament i went to i couldn't say for sure exactly but i felt like i couldn't do everything i usually could. idk if the monitors were to blame or my controller with the addition of all these phones or other devices interfering with it but it had me concerned. i thought about switching to the gc to eliminate these problems for sure but i'm finding it impossible to do even half the things i was capable of on the pro, with the gc.

wat do u_u

Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

I thought about using a secondary for the Yoshi MU but I was feeling confident. But then ...ugh.

9th, two weeks in a row. Just gotta use this as fuel to keep pushing further. I really need a way to stop being so nervous on stream. Maybe I'll wear a hoodie so I can only see the screen and not the horde of people crowded around. Tired of losing sets like this. Especially when I saw the rest of the results. People that I body consistently placing 5th while I get 9th.

Well there's another tournament this weekend I need to get ready for. Gotta stay focused.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Can u link use to the match vs yoshi? Will probably watch later, I don't think yoshi mains would help if u asked but u may as well give it a shot.

ZTD | TECHnology

I don't even wanna link it, I played so badly. It's not on YT yet and I'm too lazy to rifle through Twitch. I'll wait until they upload it.

EDIT: I might just use Wario for that MU again. I'm so done with Yoshi/MK.

Last edited:

Lufos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lufosf
3DS FC
0087-2359-1559
Just came back from my local tournament, ended up first place! Mostly beginners in the scene though, but still nice. Meta Knight didnt bring me all the way through, had to switch it up in GF and bring out my Ike.

I noticed that I'm extremely bad at utilizing my dash attacks and grabs, I dont get nearly as much out of them as I should. Also I tend to be way too greedy with my up B, and somehow my opponents often survives into the very high 100s and I just cant get the kill.

My neutral is pretty good compared to the rest though.

Also had a glorious moment in doubles where my partner threw one of my opponents with just the right timing to get hit with my up B which was aimed at the other one, netting me 2 kills, very satisfying :D

Edit:

Also my edge guarding sucks big time

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
THIS IS THE GREATEST GUIDE OF ALL TIME, ITS SO META I WANT ALL OF YOU TO WATCH THIS. ITO PM'D ME THIS VIDEO WHEN I ASKED FOR ADVICE AGAINST ZSS PLEASE WATCH. I HOPE WE CAN GROW TOGETHER AS A COMMUNITY AFTER THIS.

KOOMAN

Smash Rookie
NNID
obliviousloser
Just got 5th out of 40 today went mk the whole way. I just lost luigi omg that match up ugh. I just couldn't get through fire ball spam and one throw he puts 30% on me. Im so mad I just didn't know what to do.

Last edited:

Superbat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Superbat3
THIS IS THE GREATEST GUIDE OF ALL TIME, ITS SO META I WANT ALL OF YOU TO WATCH THIS. ITO PM'D ME THIS VIDEO WHEN I ASKED FOR ADVICE AGAINST ZSS PLEASE WATCH. I HOPE WE CAN GROW TOGETHER AS A COMMUNITY AFTER THIS.

Ain't ito ded? (jk) The prince Zuko tho? loool

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Hi.

I'm a new guy.

In all seriousness though, I've fallen into a realm of interest here.

A while ago, I was dominating a subpar Kirby with Samus, so I thought it'd be fun to mess around and beat him with Meta Knight some more times. After that, I intended to switch, but I was locked with MK after the player left when I was in the pre-match waiting room. I continued anyway, and I saw that against somewhat competent players(a Falco, Donkey Kong, Little Mac and ZSS), I wasn't doing too bad. I obviously lost a few rounds, but my execution with Meta Knight isn't all that bad considering I've never touched him and based my moves off of things seen in videos that I've never practiced.

I'm gonna make Meta Knight another secondary of mine given that I'm taking a liking to his fast paced execution and my willingness to try him out some more.

So consider me a regular from now on here.

busken

Smash Ace
@ Superbat Superbat

If you're not running with us then you're running from us.

Sonic does run pretty fast tho, but we have wings so w/e

ZTD | TECHnology

Did you break that Yoshi's neck or naw?
He wasn't there. I bopped several Yoshis and Greninjas (that frog is annoying) but not the one I owe it to. I'll probably see him Thursday.

Oh btw **** secondaries.

I did some awesome things in tournament as MK and thought "Man why can't play like this more?". Then I realized I spent too much time on Pit as of late. I don't even think I legit need him. Back to bat grind 24/7 again.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
I can never go pit, yeah she's mid range heavy like us but her reward is pitiful. I wanna kill people early or get +40% off a dash attack and throw dammit.

Doctor_Link

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Plat002
3DS FC
0259-0882-5580
I feel toon link is a pretty good secondary, being the complete opposite of mk. At least that's what I feel.

TL is such a campy ****.

Last edited:

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
I feel toon link is a pretty good secondary, being the complete opposite of mk. At least that's what I feel.

TL is such a campy ****.
But he doesn't cover any of meta knights matchups? That doesn't sound like a good secondary to me.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
The only one that comes on top of my mind to cover bad matchups like Sonic and ZSSamus, is Rosalina, but the pacing is radically different.

Top Bottom