• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The MKGD: The rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated

hotdogtaco4321

Smash Cadet
NNID
MaverickGV
3DS FC
0748-3241-5258
so since mk can kill rosalina at 5% is there a way to get an easy 0-death on her off of a dtilt trip?

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Today is the first event I have entered in almost two weeks (that is a long time for me lol). It was a nice break but I am ready to get back in there and demonstrate some new skills. Last tournament I entered I took 4th out 59 with most of our Power Ranked Players in attendance so I am hoping to exceed that performance today. Wish me luck, my fellow bat ballers.

EDIT: @ Shaya Shaya . Hai. What brings you here?

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
For interest's sake, are the meta's all on that tilt stick magic?

I recently switched on ZSS and something about easy running up airs (in particular out of early percent nairs so I can zero-to-death swordsman and fatties) moves me at a deep molecular level.

Perfect pivot tilts seem to be more relevant on MK than smashes would be (I mean it's alright with dsmash...)
Stutter step ]away] fsmashes is still doable but could be a slight loss of reliability in a tight situation.

Exdeath

Smash Master
@ Ulevo Ulevo @ Exdeath Exdeath
We start with no rage unless your getting bodied you shouldn't be doped up with so much rage right off the bat.

Stale uairs make it easier to combo into each other it doesn't hinder the kill power lul, stale shuttle loop would make a difference but that will unstale since we WILL always use DA and uair before it. Also since stale uairs won't send them as high it makes sweetspot shutte loop that much easier to land.

By all means you two should find the time to do it properly , but don't be surprised if no one bothers to refer to it since its silly to try and remember everything.

MK unless you are dominating every opponent, you WILL have rage. This is especially true in MUs like Sheik where she can take you from 0-80 before you find center again.

Stale Uairs combo into each other easier, but unless there is a higher number of Uairs, the distance that the opponent travels is less.

If you don't want to put in the time, that's fine. If you think that training mode data that is incorrect in KB, scaling and KB buff mechanics is preferred overover real-game data then you must not be familiar with Smash Lab standards.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
MK unless you are dominating every opponent, you WILL have rage. This is especially true in MUs like Sheik where she can take you from 0-80 before you find center again.

Stale Uairs combo into each other easier, but unless there is a higher number of Uairs, the distance that the opponent travels is less.

If you don't want to put in the time, that's fine. If you think that training mode data that is incorrect in KB, scaling and KB buff mechanics is preferred overover real-game data then you must not be familiar with Smash Lab standards.
Ok you got rage, why not make an educated guess of when you can kill them. If you want raw data go into the lab and do it, im sure as hell not doing it when A) eats alot of time B) No one will read it and remember it.

Honestly im reading yours and Ulevos posts with my hand over my face, i've put this into practice, videos of MKs uair comboing at the right percent as well. Stale uairs makes no difference, your opponent will die, the stale uair will make sweetspot shuttle loop easy to land.

Instead of whining about real data provide the MK boards with it by all means. This whole thing was meant to be for me anyway but since i was getting successful kills by following the percentages i decided to post it here.

Exdeath

Smash Master
Neither of us were pressuring you into anything, seeing as we both explicitly said that we aren't asking you to make better data tables. You made an assertion that is incorrect, hence my correction. I understand that you feel possessive over the data that you put effort into, but even so I believe that you are being overly defensive.

I appreciate the effort that you are putting into improving the MK meta.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
I do not feel pressured, there's really nothing to defend: Got some data from t-mode, didn't trust it, put it into practice to verify data, got good results. Only thing missing is rage.

If you think that training mode data that is incorrect in KB, scaling and KB buff mechanics is preferred overover real-game data then you must not be familiar with Smash Lab standards.

You made an assumption so i cleared it up since that part irked me a little.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Hey everyone, I am currently looking to expand upon the MK/Oli MU and was wondering if any of you would wish to play on wifi sometime? Heavily preferred that it be an experienced MK, and even better if you've played other Olimars!

Last edited:

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
Hey everyone, I am currently looking to expand upon the MK/Oli MU and was wondering if any of you would wish to play on wifi sometime? Heavily preferred that it be an experienced MK, and even better if you've played other Olimars!
@ warionumbah2 warionumbah2 @ Katakiri Katakiri @ Fye Fye @ ZTD | TECHnology ZTD | TECHnology

These guys are your best bet for most experienced MKs on the board. Also @ItoI6 but haven't seen him in a while.

Fye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FE-Judge
Unfortunately, my wifi is pretty bad. You'd have a better experience playing WN.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
I really dislike playing MK on wifi. It might be my own connection but my combos are off by frames online a lot of the time and I don't want to ruin myself offline by learning wifi-timing. I bought a LAN adapter last week to help but it was faulty and dropped connection at random; just my luck.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
I really dislike playing MK on wifi. It might be my own connection but my combos are off by frames online a lot of the time and I don't want to ruin myself offline by learning wifi-timing. I bought a LAN adapter last week to help but it was faulty and dropped connection at random; just my luck.
Yeah I feel you, I get pretty annoyed on wifi a lot, since everything isn't as fluid. Still really wanna fight a good MK since apparently Olimar loses the MU, but I don't feel it's that way. I'll keep searching for players. I know Cali has a lot of MKs, but I can't get in touch with like any of them.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
:4metaknight:online
  • You get 4 uairs you need one more....you get fair
  • Someone does something laggy next to you free F-Smash puni- you get Jab
  • OOOH SHUTTLE LOOP OOS....you jump in place or do aerial shuttle loop and miss
  • You get down throw and you wanna shuttle loop, you drill rush and die
  • You get nado....game doesn't input all your mashing
  • Can't play neutral for ****

I find running up smashes easy/fine with tilt stick. Buffering up smashes/oos can be hard though.
MUs such as Luigi,Pikachu and Mario i like to space them out with walking F-Smashes(along with Dtilt and Ftilt 1 and 2). I can see a player like Salena go tilts and utilize PP with it though.

The moment you picked DDD, u were alrdy ded.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
I wouldn't be so hard pressed for this, but I live about 2-3 hours away from any MKs in Florida. I don't see them as often as I'd like either. Like I keep getting told how the MU is by a bunch of Olimars and MKs, but from my exp it isn't that bad. I'm also pretty critical of other Olimar's gameplay so when I watch them I disagree with how they go about some stuff.

Ulevo

Smash Master
I wouldn't be so hard pressed for this, but I live about 2-3 hours away from any MKs in Florida. I don't see them as often as I'd like either. Like I keep getting told how the MU is by a bunch of Olimars and MKs, but from my exp it isn't that bad. I'm also pretty critical of other Olimar's gameplay so when I watch them I disagree with how they go about some stuff.
Speaking theoretically, I feel the match up is relatively even. The only exceptions being the off stage game and how they handle playing from behind. Meta Knight also has a much better counter pick selection. Olimar is very vulnerable off stage in this match up, Meta Knight is not. Usually the player that secures the lead first is going to win. However, Meta Knight has a much easier time regaining momentum from Olimar than the other way around because Meta Knight has the mobility to make that happen. Olimar's defensive game is very strong, but his offensive pressure and options are quite poor. Meta Knight is not as strong defensively, but Olimar's does not have the ability to reasonably force mistakes without a lead. The ability to make a come back while still being able to shut Olimar out is what gives the edge to Meta Knight in my eyes.

I also feel that stages like Smashville, Delfino, and Battlefield make losing game 1 very hard for Olimar.

Basically, whoever wins in neutral first is likely to win the game barring any major errors. This is why I feel it is quite close despite Meta Knight having an easier time.

Last edited:

(Buddha)

The Old Chap
NNID
Buddhamitsu
3DS FC
0920-2087-1604
Knowing that Mk's worst stage is FD, witch FD in the Wii U version has the lowest blast line?

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Speaking theoretically, I feel the match up is relatively even. The only exceptions being the off stage game and how they handle playing from behind. Meta Knight also has a much better counter pick selection. Olimar is very vulnerable off stage in this match up, Meta Knight is not. Usually the player that secures the lead first is going to win. However, Meta Knight has a much easier time regaining momentum from Olimar than the other way around because Meta Knight has the mobility to make that happen. Olimar's defensive game is very strong, but his offensive pressure and options are quite poor. Meta Knight is not as strong defensively, but Olimar's does not have the ability to reasonably force mistakes without a lead. The ability to make a come back while still being able to shut Olimar out is what gives the edge to Meta Knight in my eyes.

I also feel that stages like Smashville, Delfino, and Battlefield make losing game 1 very hard for Olimar.

Basically, whoever wins in neutral first is likely to win the game barring any major errors. This is why I feel it is quite close despite Meta Knight having an easier time.
I wouldn't underestimate Olimar's ability to push aggressively and take a lead back. I've gotten one throw, and people have ended up at 70+, from there it's one solid smash and the end of MK's stock. Olimar can play quite aggressive with 2 purples as well.

Last edited:

Ulevo

Smash Master
I wouldn't underestimate Olimar's ability to push aggressively and take a lead back. I've gotten one throw, and people have ended up at 70+, from there it's one solid smash and the end of MK's stock. Olimar can play quite aggressive with 2 purples as well.
I am generalizing. If you were to take what I am saying in literal context then obviously the match up would be lopsided.

That being said I question whether or not you could actually put Meta Knight in a position where you net a 70% combo. He has five jumps he can use leisurely to avoid this sort of problem, unless there are true combos I am not aware of.

Knowing that Mk's worst stage is FD, witch FD in the Wii U version has the lowest blast line?
Final Destination is not his worst stage in every match up. Also, all Omega stages share the same blast zones as Final Destination.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
I am generalizing. If you were to take what I am saying in literal context then obviously the match up would be lopsided.

That being said I question whether or not you could actually put Meta Knight in a position where you net a 70% combo. He has five jumps he can use leisurely to avoid this sort of problem, unless there are true combos I am not aware of.
Not entirely sure of all combos on MK, but if I tack a white on before I get a grab, I can get some uairs with purples and whatnot.

ZTD | TECHnology

I'll see if I can then and contact you.

In other words: I got 9th out 65 today. Lost to a Yoshi player around my skill level who is also on the rise with me and I lost to the ranked 5th player: A Fox. I used a little bit of Pit vs the Yoshi because I got ****ing wrecked game 1 as Meta Knight lol. It was a close game 3 set but I couldn't etch it out. Yoshi just makes me so mad sometimes.

Losing to Ksev Game 3 for like the millionth time is also a little bit irritating. I can see I'm getting better but he carries momentum so well. Next time though. I learned much today.

Last edited:

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
I'll see if I can then and contact you.

In other words: I got 9th out 65 today. Lost to a Yoshi player around my skill level who is also on the rise with me and I lost to the ranked 5th player: A Fox. I used a little bit of Pit vs the Yoshi because I got ****ing wrecked game 1 as Meta Knight lol. It was a close game 3 set but I couldn't etch it out. Yoshi just makes me so mad sometimes.

Losing to Ksev Game 3 for like the millionth time is also a little bit irritating. I can see I'm getting better but he carries momentum so well. Next time though. I learned much today.
What Olimars have you played against, or play regularly?

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Another weird thing about the oli MU outside our up throw is the fact that our jab alone beats everything olimar has on the ground.

If he tries to roll behind us he has a high chance of being hit from the hitbox behind MK and dragged infront of him, even his sh aerials lose to it. Only a very well spaced bair can hit MK when he's holding jab, if MK decides to let go he can swat olimar away.

Not saying jab is that viable of a move in this MU as I've yet to test this in a real match, I do not think its even. Oli can get 70% of a grab? Nice we can end your stock below 30%, via edgeguards and uair combos.

ZTD | TECHnology

I have a capture card and I intended on recording. I don't think I'll be able to get home anytime soon. But I definitely want to play Myran. It may to be another day.

Last edited:
Top Bottom