• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The MKGD: The rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
Busy times for the bat. I hope setting the Q&A thread to always be at the top and putting "don't make threads asking questions" in all caps saves me some time merging and locking threads. :4metaknight:

Ever since FC:R & EVO I've been honing my skills at Smash in general, not just MK. Learning to play the game at a level I didn't understand until I got to fight top players and see how they think. But now my MK is that much better because of it. :4metaknight:

This past weekend I took 1st in Singles & 2nd in Doubles (even though we went 5-3 in the doubles GF sets after knocking-out the team that sent us to losers). My doubles team was :4metaknight:+:4megaman: and wow is that team fun and good. We didn't abuse Omnigay as much as we should have but the few we got were pretty clean and the rest of our team combos were solid for how little we practiced. We beat the team that is usually considered Ohio's best doubles team since they were top 24 at APEX for doubles and have always teamed since.

Ohio's best:rosalina:mains have been studying Ito and the other bats but, after playing me Saturday, they told me I play the MU better than any other MK. I forced our best:4sheik:to throw out a desperation secondary specifically for my MK in game 3 of winners finals (it didn't work and he realized Sheik is his best option). Our best:4zss:, whom is a local so I play him almost every week, honestly has no idea what to do against me since I realized ZSS is the same kind of character as MK so I pick at those weaknesses we share on top of ZSS' own. And I can now 2-stock 2 of our best :4sonic:even with how obnoxious that MU still is and I do reverse-main friendlies with one of them where he uses MK & I use Sonic to help understand the MU better.

The whole state is actively trying to figure me out and most importantly they are doing their homework now which is the most exciting part of this past 2 weeks. I'm Batman forcing Gotham Police to step-up their game.:4metaknight:

I'll also be going to SKTAR 4 next week. So we'll see how we do there. Last I checked Keitaro was housing Ohio but I should probably double-check with my "manager".

Also I decided if I can go a full week without learning something new about MK, I'll publish my video guide. I still have it but traveling, patches, and gittin' gud have put that thing so far back.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Haven't done the whole cast yet. Also the dancing rainbow boy means we have a **** ton of room for error lol its insane. I love this character!

Will probably take it out since someone might have ellipsis let me know guys.
Went into T-Mode and im finding out when we can Dash attack into Uair to death. T-mode has no rage, prevents Uair from staling, also the cpu isn't mixing up its DI. Stale Uairs are actually better than fresh ones as we're able to combo into another uair easier, so it may take 5 uairs to kill instead of 4 uairs.

Note: You have enough time to jump and SL for it to register as a true combo.

This is done on FD, so when i say 'requires an extra jump' that's only for FD the opponent will die on lower ceiling stages without the jump.

ALSO I DON'T HAVE LUCAS SO SOMEONES GONNA HAVE TO DO IT.

:4pit::4darkpit: 26-34%

• 26% = 5 uairs to SL
  • 27-31% 4 uairs to SL
  • 32-34% 3 uairs to SL
:4ness:21-36%
  • 21-22% 5 uairs to SL
  • 23-26% 4 uairs to SL
  • 27-33% 3 uairs to SL
  • 34-36% 2 uairs requires an extra jump before shuttle loop
:4fox: 31-40%
  • 31-35% 4 uairs to SL
  • 36-37% 3 uairs to SL
  • 38-40% 3 uairs to SL(requires an extra jump before SL to kill)
:4falco: 30-35%
  • 30-35% 4 uairs to SL
:4pikachu: 28-31%
  • 28-29% 4 uairs to SL
  • 30-31% 3 uairs to SL requires an extra jump before SL
:4greninja:31-41%
  • 31-32% 4 uairs to SL
  • 33-37% 3 uairs to SL
  • 38-41% 2 uairs to SL
:4lucario: 32-49%

• 32-36% 4 uairs to SL
  • 37-42% 3 uairs to SL
  • 43-49% 2 uairs to SL requires an extra jump before SL
:4charizard: 29-38%
  • 29-30% 5 uairs to SL
  • 31-35% 4 uairs to SL
  • 36-38% 3 uairs to SL
:4mewtwo:22-36%
  • 22-24% 4 uairs to SL
  • 25-30% 3 uairs to SL
  • 31-36% 2 uairs to SL requires an extra jump before SL
:4falcon: 37-42%
  • 37-42% 4 uairs to SL
:4rob: 27-41%

• 27-28% 4 uairs to SL
  • 29-33% 5 uairs to SL
  • 34-39% 4 uairs to SL
  • 40-41% 3 uairs to SL
:4zss: 32-39%
  • 32-33% 4 uairs to SL
  • 34-36% 3 uairs to SL
  • 37-39% 3 uairs to SL requires an extra jump before SL
:4samus:13-36%

• 13-17% 6 uairs to SL
  • 18-24% 5 uairs to SL
  • 24-30% 4 uairs to SL
  • 31-36% 3 uairs to SL
:4sheik: 29-37%
  • 29-31% 4 uairs to SL
  • 32-37% 3 uairs to SL

:4sonic: 24-35%
  • 24-25% 5 uairs to SL
  • 26-31% 4 uairs to SL
  • 32-35% 2 uairs to SL
:4ryu:33-38%
  • 33-38% 4 uairs to SL
:4olimar::4alph: 21-37%
  • 21-24% 4 uairs to SL
  • 25-32% 3 uairs to SL
  • 33-37% 3 uairs to SL requires an extra jump before shuttle loop

:rosalina: 9-35%

• 9-14% 5 uairs to SL
  • 15-22% 4 uairs to SL
  • 23-27% 3 uairs to SL
  • 28-35% 2 uairs to SL
:4mario: 32-36%
  • 32-33% 4 uairs to SL
  • 34-36% 3 uairs to SL
:4luigi: 24-31%
  • 24-26% 4 uairs to SL
  • 27-31% 3 uairs to SL
:4bowser:30-48%

• 30-33% 5 uairs to SL
  • 34-38% 4 uairs to SL
  • 39-42% 3 uairs to SL
  • 43-48% 2 uairs requires an extra jump before SL
:4yoshi:24-39%
  • 24-28% 4 uairs to SL
  • 29-34% 3 uairs to SL
  • 35-39% 2 uairs to SL
:4wario2:32-48%
  • 32% 5 uairs to SL
  • 33-37% 4uairs to SL
  • 38-43% 3 uairs to SL
  • 44-48% 2 uairs to SL
:4feroy: 36-53%

• 36-41% 4 uairs to SL
  • 42-48% 3 uairs to SL
  • 49-53% 2 uairs to SL
:4marth::4lucina: 29-47%

• 29-32% 4 uairs to SL
  • 33-40% 3 uairs to SL
  • 41-47% 2 uairs to SL
:4myfriends:33-49%

• 33% 5 uairs to SL
  • 34-39% 4 uairs to SL
  • 40-45% 3 uairs to SL
  • 46-49% 2 uairs to SL
:4dk: 28-46%

• 28-34% 5 uairs to SL
  • 35-41% 4 uairs to SL
  • 42-46% 3 uairs to SL
:4diddy:31-47%

• 31-32% 5 uairs to SL
  • 33-36% 4 uairs to SL
  • 37-43% 3 uairs to SL
  • 44-47% 2 uairs to SL
:4kirby:16-31%
  • 16-20% 4 uairs to SL
  • 21-26% 3 uairs requires an extra jump before SL
  • 27-31% 2 uairs same as above
:4dedede:37-58% "ahahahaha fatass"-:4metaknight:
  • 37-41% 5 uairs to SL
  • 42-45% 4 uairs to SL
  • 46-52% 3 uairs to SL
  • 53-58% 2 uairs to SL requires an extra jump before SL
:4metaknight:28-42% "oh ****" :4metaknight:
  • 28-32% 4 uairs to SL
  • 33-37% 3 uairs to SL
  • 38-42% 2 uairs to SL requires an extra jump before SL
:4link:33-48%
  • 33-36% 4 uairs to SL
  • 37-42% 3 uairs to SL
  • 43-48% 2 uairs to SL he won't die on FD even if i jump to get the sweetspot of SL 1.
:4zelda:17-36%
  • 17-20% 5 uairs to SL
  • 21-26% 4 uairs to SL
  • 27-30% 3 uairs to SL
  • 31-36 2 uairs to SL she doesn't die on FD.
:4ganondorf:34-43%
  • 34-39% 4 uairs to SL
  • 40-43% 3 uairs to SL also doesn't die on FD.
:4littlemac:32-46%
  • 32-34% 4 uairs to SL
  • 35-40% 3 uairs to SL
  • 41-46% 2 uairs to SL
:4gaw:18-27%
  • 18-21% 4 uairs to SL
  • 22-27% 3 uairs to SL

Might do some more later....might.

Last edited:

I speak Spanish too

Smash Journeyman
fvck we might nerfed. no longer unique for playing MK now? sakurai save us? Sheep just make accounts already

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Wow, lots of progress for MK and in such a short span of time too. I wouldn't worry about nerfs to be honest. Rosa, Sheik and Luigi have gotten slaps on the wrist, Ness and Brawler have gotten buffs...and then there's Falcon, Sonic and Diddy...okay, maybe worry about nerfs a little bit.

Complete subject change but I went back to Brawl the other night, mostly for Wolf but I did a few matches with MK and...I didn't enjoy it. It's interesting to see the differences though, how much faster uair is, how much stronger dsmash is, how much easier it is to get out of nado and how much longer it lasts. Not really any combos though (welcome to the entire Brawl roster) and it was a pain getting any kills. I'm also awful at controlling Shuttle Loop in that game. I will say that I miss the pink outfit from that game though. The one in Brawl had pink and yellow wings with a sort of gradient effect to it while the wings of pink MK in Sm4sh are completely pink. At least the golden gauntlets of Sm4sh pink MK are nice.

SuperMachoMan

Smash Rookie
just fought this meta knight on on for glory,probably the only good person on their ive seen,ive been proved ive still much to learn, my only worry is people thinking im just riding a bandwagon after all the MK popularity due to the fact im not that good at smash.

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
just fought this meta knight on on for glory,probably the only good person on their ive seen,ive been proved ive still much to learn, my only worry is people thinking im just riding a bandwagon after all the MK popularity due to the fact im not that good at smash.
Tbh you shouldn't care if people think you're riding a bandwagon. Players doing hype things with characters (inspiration) is how a lot of people pick theirs up. Those who aren't dedicated will realise MK is hard and give up, leaving those who are dedicated to the character because they like the character.

N~W .

Smash Cadet
So yeah I messed up in that I put this message in the combo thread instead of here. Late night typing huh?

Went to my weekly smash 4 tournament in London yesterday (well at least from GMT time) and I thought I might as well post about it now just whilst all of what happened is fresh in my mind.

I came 7th out of 44 entrants yesterday whilst running MK/D3. Due to the high amount of entrants and lack of available set-ups, the rule set was changed from usually being 3 stock 8 minutes to 2 stock 6 minutes; with FD, Smashville, Battlefield, Town & City and Dreamland as neutrals and Lylat, Duck Hunt and Miiverse as counter picks. Below is the link to the bracket.

http://gp-tips.challonge.com/dmm8

It was the first time I had used D3 at tournament despite having a competent pocket D3 since launch. I only mention D3 because I had to use him to counter pick a Peach player who took out my MK in game 1. Got sent to losers by Jason, a Falcon player and eliminated by San, a Yoshi player.

Things I Picked Up From That Day

Got my first FThrow > 4x uair > shuttle loop combo vs a Luigi in tournament. Felt really good to see the results of that practice go well. Against San, my shuttle loop angles were just awful, the second hit kept on getting DIed after Dash Attack which led to lost kills.

I'm unsure of how to deal with Peach effectively in this game with such a ground based character. I got hit too much by turnips which all turned out to be stitch faces and I just got straight smacked about by her aerials. I'm not even sure MK even has an aerial which goes air to air with Peach well enough but I'll be saving that for lab work. The match-up seems tough but I think I'm not approaching it properly.

Against Falcon I died to D Throw > Knee at 60% for two of my 4 stocks. I was told that I could DI away to avoid the knee after the set. It all happened really quickly. I think MK/Falcon is pretty fun but it's easy for either side to mess up so I'll have to be more careful in neutral for next time.

I've been having a lot of issues in dealing with Yoshi as of late. Most of time when I enter these weeklies, A Yoshi is pretty much there to ruin my day. It'll either be a case of me starting out strong then fair comes and ruins all my hard work or just getting danced around all the time with his airspeed, one hit leads to the next and before I know it, I'm dead. I baited his air dodge once and got plastered by uair because I was late on the punish. Before this turns into a 'Yoshi Rant' I'll ask the rest of the questions in the MU threads to get some information.

I'm starting to try and get past what I like to call the 'Build a Bear Top Tier' character phase with MK. I'm seeing a trend of some players picking Top Tiers to try to advance further into the bracket and use their 'mains' to cheese out people who don't know the MUs.

Played against some Rosalina players in friendlies today as well and they pretty much hated the MK match-up. It got to a point where they'd win neutral for a good portion of the game but once I got through the luma walls, I just got in and caused damage. Even reverse 3 stocking one of them in the process after they took two of my stocks initially in one of the games.

But overall, not bad but it could be better. I usually do consistently well at the weeklies but now it's time to aim higher.

Last edited:

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
mfw having to lock and merge multiple new, completely useless threads at 7 in the morning after dealing with some yesterday too.

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
Could be reddit mentality. Whenever anything hype is posted on reddit, people flock to the relevant smashboards subforum. On reddit if you wanna ask a question you just make a new thread. Those people may assume that it's the same deal on forums like this one. idk. Now we need to hire shepherds AND mods

Foster J.

Smash Ace
MK thread on Le dit? Everyone upvotes it. Interest occurs.
Instead of reading stickied threads like reasonable people the sheep go make random threads

Live of a forum mod, RIP free time

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Im tapping into MKs inner rage and this is what i got.

:4ryu:
No rage
  • 33-38% 4 uairs
80% rage
  • 25-27% 4 uairs
  • 28-31% 3 uairs
90% rage
  • 23-25% 4 uairs
  • 26-28% 3 uairs
100% rage
  • 20-23% 4 uairs
  • 24-26% 3 uairs

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
I wish rage wasn't in this game. It would make memorizing combos way easier.

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
Wow, lots of progress for MK and in such a short span of time too. I wouldn't worry about nerfs to be honest. Rosa, Sheik and Luigi have gotten slaps on the wrist, Ness and Brawler have gotten buffs...and then there's Falcon, Sonic and Diddy...okay, maybe worry about nerfs a little bit.

Complete subject change but I went back to Brawl the other night, mostly for Wolf but I did a few matches with MK and...I didn't enjoy it. It's interesting to see the differences though, how much faster uair is, how much stronger dsmash is, how much easier it is to get out of nado and how much longer it lasts. Not really any combos though (welcome to the entire Brawl roster) and it was a pain getting any kills. I'm also awful at controlling Shuttle Loop in that game. I will say that I miss the pink outfit from that game though. The one in Brawl had pink and yellow wings with a sort of gradient effect to it while the wings of pink MK in Sm4sh are completely pink. At least the golden gauntlets of Sm4sh pink MK are nice.
Yah his uair is noticeably faster in Brawl. I played Brawl today and noticed that and how easy it is to get out of his neutral special. I wish he had his old uair and fair back. D:

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Brawl MK's Nair: Comes out Frame 3:

Sm4sh MK's Nair: Comes out Frame 6

Brawl MK's Uair: Comes out Frame 2

Sm4sh MK's Uair: Comes out Frame 4

Brawl MK's Fair: Comes out Frame 6

Sm4sh MK's Fair: Comes out Frame 9

Both MK's Bair: Comes out Frame 7

Both MK's Dair: Comes out Frame 4

<_<

Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

Yeah that's about what I said when I looked at the frame data side by side.

The cooldown difference in our aerials is the REAL kicker though.

Zonez

Smash Rookie
NNID
Bowser2720
I managed to get like 12 uairs in SSBB before hitting the ground by spamming uair and jumping on FD. I could probably have gotten more but I'm not used to tap jump and it was using a bad Xbox 360 controller on an emulator. I also couldn't really count. The uairs came out kinda fast.

In Smash 4 I managed to get 9 before hitting the ground. The 9th didn't even fully complete.

:metaknight: = 12+

:4metaknight: = 8.75

Last edited:

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
Just a heads us, I might start becoming considerably less active soon. My hand pain issues have forced me to quit playing this game competitively and I'm not picking it back up again unless my medical issues improve. If my hand pain issues never improve, I'm permanently done with Smash 4.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I mention Brawl MK and upset the entire thread~ It's okay guys! We had it better than :marth::falco::dedede::toonlink::gw::dk2::samus2::ganondorf::zelda:...and :popo:

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
Just a heads us, I might start becoming considerably less active soon. My hand pain issues have forced me to quit playing this game competitively and I'm not picking it back up again unless my medical issues improve. If my hand pain issues never improve, I'm permanently done with Smash 4.
Really sorry to hear that. At least stay active on the forum and on skype please! :)

Fye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FE-Judge
@ W.A.C. W.A.C.
That sucks W.A.C. Hope your hands and quality of life get better. There will always be room if you decide to stay/come back.

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
I managed to get like 12 uairs in SSBB before hitting the ground by spamming uair and jumping on FD. I could probably have gotten more but I'm not used to tap jump and it was using a bad Xbox 360 controller on an emulator. I also couldn't really count. The uairs came out kinda fast.

In Smash 4 I managed to get 9 before hitting the ground. The 9th didn't even fully complete.

:metaknight: = 12+

:4metaknight: = 8.75
I'm terrible at uair strings. lol.

I hope you get better man. Get well soon.

Sincerely yours,

The stranger on smashboards. :^)

Man I just got Lucas when I planned on not getting him at all. And let me just say that he feels awesome to play with. His bair Meteor Smash is so satisfying to land. I think I'm going to main him. I don't care that he's not better than Ness. He is so much more fun to play with than Ness imho.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Funny how Kirby is meant to go even with Sheik, yet MK is being used as a pocket against her and has more wins against high level Sheiks than Kirby does.

ZTD | TECHnology

At this point, I don't care who plays the character. No one is stopping me from becomnig the best. I can perhaps learn things from all these top players who are catching Bat Fever. I'm open to using all of my resources available if it means I can gain a thing or two in the process. At this point, I'm at that point where my progress means learning piece by piece.

Ulevo

Smash Master
Edit: BEFORE ULEVO TELLS ME TO TEST IT WITH STALE UAIRS, IT LITERALLY MAKES NO DIFFERENCE. RAGE ON THE OTHER HAND MAKES THIS STUPIDLY HARD TO REMEMBER.
It is about doing things objectively. We do not play in a no-stale environment, so we should not be testing in a no-stale environment when stale moves can potentially come in to play. If you say it does not, that is fine. I doubt you put in the time to actually verify that in every scenario, so I am still going to ignore you for favour that it might and test it myself since that is the thorough way to do things.

tl;dr I am not tellin' you to do anything. You just might miss important details.

Last edited:

Exdeath

Smash Master
Stale moves makes a difference on the kill %, especially Uair x 5. Rage complicates everything, but for practical reasons I test by utilizing handicaps at 0, 40, 80, (in my experience, the difference between 40-60 and 60-100 are notable, but rarely worth adding to my quick sheets) 100 and 150% while setting items to sandbag on low for stale moves with two controllers.

P.S. thanks for the non-existent match-up comments, guys.

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
@ Ulevo Ulevo @ Exdeath Exdeath

I actually was working on doing rage but it'll take a long time and no one will remember all the percents we kill at. Its not gonna be useful in the slightiest, at least with the none rage data you can sort of have a rough idea where or when we can take a stock and with rage you can make an educated guess. We start with no rage unless your getting bodied you shouldn't be doped up with so much rage right off the bat.

Stale uairs make it easier to combo into each other it doesn't hinder the kill power lul, stale shuttle loop would make a difference but that will unstale since we WILL always use DA and uair before it. Also since stale uairs won't send them as high it makes sweetspot shutte loop that much easier to land.

By all means you two should find the time to do it properly , but don't be surprised if no one bothers to refer to it since its silly to try and remember everything rage related.
lol so does mk now beat rosalina ridiculously?
We still whoop her without this.

Top Bottom