• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Minish Sorcerer, Vaati for Smash 5!

Bowser D.X

Brawl Player
Greetings! I am making this thread to round up interest for Vaati in the next Super Smash Brothers game.

Franchise: The Legend of Zelda
Debut: The Legend of Zelda Four Swords
Last appearance: The Legend of Zelda Four Swords Adventure 2004

Who is Vaati?
Vaati is an antagonist from The Legend of Zelda series. In the canon of LOZ he was a tiny Minish who achieved great power when he stole his master Ezlo's magical cap and used it to become a sorcerer. He achieved even greater power when he absorbed some of the Light Force from Princess Zelda. He was ultimately defeated by Link but resurrected two more times only to be defeated by other versions of the legendary hero.

Why Vaati?
Vaati has been in three Legend of Zelda games making him one of the most primary antagonists in the series second only to Ganondorf/Ganon. The Four Swords games are almost 15 years old and are a solid part of Nintendo's history.

What Could He Do?
Vaati could easily work as a projectile based fighter with physics similar to Toon Link.

Possible Move Set:
Neutral B: Energy Ball. Vaati charges and releases a blue ball of energy similar to Mewtwo's Shadow Ball
Side B: Stone Ball. Similar to his energy ball only it turns the opponent to stone, allowing him to strike for a few seconds. This move should have some lag to make it punishable if not executed correctly.
Up B: Teleport. Vaati simply splits into two dark ripples and reapers on a higher part of the screen.
Down B: ? Maybe one of the eye drones he uses in his "Vaati Reborn" form from Minsh Cap?

Neutral A: The hand swipe he uses to defeat the soldiers at the beginning of Minish Cap.

Final Smash: Vaati's Wrath.

He transforms and moves to the background of the stage, allowing the player to control him by swinging his giant arms and firing screen filling energy blasts.

Supporters:
Aussie the Shinobi
Kirbeh
WhiteEaglePL
xDarkAuraful
Autumn

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord
He's the Ganondorf to Toon Link. I'd love to see him as playable with a plethora of magical abilities and wind controlling powers. He should definitely be in the next Hyrule Warriors game.

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Support. I really liked Vaati as a villain in Minish Cap.
Had a really cool backstory. This is one of the Zelda characters I think would be awesome to play as, and I have high standards for potential Zelda characters.

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
Vaati huh? Sure. Smash needs more villains, and Vaati seeks like he'd bring something being the sorcerer character and all. He has my support.

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
So many yes's to Vaati. Love four sword adventures (and all the capcom Zelda's) a lot.

I had a move set for him on the old thread. Will have to try to dig that up at some point.

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
Vaati supporter here! Got one of my votes back in the smash ballot.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I wouldn't mind seeing Vaati.

Here's a mockup of his SSB4 character UI (that's part of my Smashified project) to show my support for the guy.

vaati-character-ui-8player.png

Freduardo

Smash Champion
It's my old vaati moveset,

I grabbed it from the old thread:

B Neutral: Fire Spin: Think of Zelda's Naryu's Love with a burning effect instead of a reflecting. goes above and below and adds some range from that move. Basically keeps people from getting close.
B Forward: Eye Minion: 4 Eye minions, each about 1/4 a Vaati tall, appear behind Vaati. They shoot four lasers forward.
B Down: Trap Cloud: Sends an electric purple cloud on the floor that moves forward. If someone gets hit by this, they get shocked and stunned.
B Up: Cyclone: Vaati soars upwards with a cyclone underneath, players that touch the cyclone flip and fall down,

A Attacks: Shadow aura: Vaati has a shadowy aura that surrounds him when he attacks, similar to the look of his trap clouds, so his animations are mostly him being still and basing his aura with minimal movement, e.g. a flick of the hand to make a giant slashing forward smash, snapping his fingers to have a the shadow look to crush the ground in a down smash. or just quickly dart forward with a jab.

----

If I were to revise it today the eye minion would probably only do one eye minion per move execution, but they stack up to four and you lose them when you take a hit.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
I support! Vaati really deserves more appearances. Unless I'm mistaken, his last one was in 2005.

KingZing

Smash Journeyman
Still my top choice for a Zelda newcomer! I don't think I ever posted on a Vaati support thread, but yeah, he's been on my mind since Brawl. Always liked the character.

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
You know what would help Vaati?

Four swords anniversary edition or four sword adventures or minish cap somehow coming to switch.

Or I just want four swords on my Switch.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I was so mad he didn't get into Hyrule Warriors. That's all I wanted! Freaking Wizzro is the closest we got...

...but if he can't even get into a Zelda roster where both realistic and toon characters exist I'm not entirely hopeful for my favourite Zelda antagonist making it into Smash.

All my yes to a Four Swords anniversary edition though!

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
doubtful but hopefully in Smash Switch at least an assist trophy. maybe one of the ATs will be promoted so Vaati can take thier place.

but it would be great to skip the queue too

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I support this. I grew up on Four Swords Accenture and would love to terrorize Link with him. Not to mention he might be the main antagonist again or at least start making more appearances.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Hell yeah, Minish Cap is my favorite Zelda game and Vaati is probably the best non-Ganon villain.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I was so mad he didn't get into Hyrule Warriors. That's all I wanted! Freaking Wizzro is the closest we got...

...but if he can't even get into a Zelda roster where both realistic and toon characters exist I'm not entirely hopeful for my favourite Zelda antagonist making it into Smash.

All my yes to a Four Swords anniversary edition though!
That game does have Ghirahim though.

Many believe his center eye design to note he is to become Vaati the way Demise in that game is to become Ganon.

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
Vaati would be a great character that not many people recognize. I'm sure his moveset would be incredible.

But I want Skull Kid more. :bobomb:

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
I do feel like Vaati, while not In The spotlight the fact capcom still has both there reps, in gives me hope. thinking sakurai wants a new Zelda character but doesn’t know who to pick though out the one time characters some capcom rep could hear this and say hey remember Vaati

Dude Skull kid is a nice character but he got played worse then Zant.Plus Skull Kid isn’t that much of a bad guy it was all the mask

Last edited:

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
I support! Just one question: It's a guy??? I thought it was a girl this whole time!

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I support! Just one question: It's a guy??? I thought it was a girl this whole time!
All games use a masculine pronoun.

So yeah, it’s a guy.

Although not really humanoid in anything but Minish Cap.

Also, don’t be discouraged that he didn’t make Hyrule Warriors. For one thing... that game is still getting new content... for another, Byrne didn’t even make it in. And he would have been freaking awesome in Hyrule Warriors.

Last edited:

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
With the concept of rivals being a big selling point for 5 I’m thinking could Zelda get two new Reps with Vaati and Skull Kid

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Made an updated Supporter's List for Vaati
  1. Bowser D.X Bowser D.X
  2. Aussie the Naturist
  3. Kirbeh
  4. WhiteEaglePL
  5. Autumn ♫
  6. Luminario
  7. Wolfie557
  8. Tyrant Tenebris
  9. Freduardo
  10. Metalex
  11. AustarusIV
  12. dimensionsword64
  13. KingZing
  14. YoshiAndToad
  15. Organization XIII
  16. GoodGrief741
  17. Bootortle
  18. Lisbon Mapping
  19. Keeshu
  20. KMDP
  21. verysleepywolf
  22. smashingDoug
  23. SEGAGameBoy
  24. Raheem the Dream
  25. Shin F.
Minish Cap is my second favourite Zelda Game after Wind Waker, it's criminal that Vaati is used as little as he is.

Last edited:

King of Ooo

Smash Rookie
Vaati should be in smash so every link has a rival
link=ganondorf
young link = skull kid
toon link= vaati

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
If Skull kid got in do you guys think he could work as a Skull kid echo, i've seen the idea brought up a few times and wanted your guy's thoughts on the possibility?
Also you can count me as a supporter.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I don't think that would make much sense but if they really doubled down on the magic for Skull Kid it's possible though he'd likely need a unique Final Smash.

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
I don't think that would make much sense but if they really doubled down on the magic for Skull Kid it's possible though he'd likely need a unique Final Smash.
I was kind of thinking that's what they we're gonna do with skull kid, unless the mask plays a role in whip attacks. Their body types match up pretty nicely aswell. Yup I think Lucina is the only character with the same final smash, Vaati could have his demon form.

Flynn.Scifo

Smash Ace
If Skull kid got in do you guys think he could work as a Skull kid echo, i've seen the idea brought up a few times and wanted your guy's thoughts on the possibility?
No I don't think it would work, they're too unique both in move-set and behavior.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
No they just don’t do the same stuff. It would probably be the whole facondorf thing all over again

But if Skull kid is in, I’ll come back to this

Last edited:

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
No they just don’t do the same stuff. It would probably be the whole facondorf thing all over again

But if Skull kid is in, I’ll come back to this
To be fair we don't see skull kid do much in majora's mask, they could go in a way with his moveset to where it could make sense.
And samus and dark samus don't do the exact same stuff, yet here we are.
I will admit it's definitely more of stretch, but I can see it happening simply for the reason that all three links would have a rival and the games theme seems to be that, guess we will see though

Last edited:

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
Would definitely be a dream come true, but 2 completely new newcomers just for the Zelda franchise considering there won't be a lot of them this time might upset a lot of fans.
Yeah that's true, the one argument against this would be that Zelda has not gotten a newcomer since brawl and hasn't gotten a unique one since melee, they may not be mad about the fact that one of them would be echo (well this is assuming vaati would be a echo and if it would work) and those don't take away from other fighters, but who knows guess we will see.

Top Bottom