• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mewtwo MU Thread (That Kinda Rhymes!)

Master Raven

Smash Master
Edited some more things on my post for Link vs M2.

Just to avoid double posting: how the **** do I fight Captain Falcon? I lost to Gahtzu at a regional yesterday and I have no clue how to play that matchup properly. He just zips around and it's hard for me to get in his space because Falcon is not only fast but he can safely read teleports with nairs and M2 gets easily comboed by him.

Last edited:

ChKn

Smash Ace
I'm having a bit of trouble dealing with the Sheik MU. Is there anything that M2 can do specifically to Sheik in this MU?

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
I'm having a bit of trouble dealing with the Sheik MU. Is there anything that M2 can do specifically to Sheik in this MU?
Gimp her with bair.

If you get predictable with your Teleports and stuff, you will get punished. I remember when I went to Nebulous a week or 2 ago and I got to talk to NinjaLink. I asked him about Emukiller and he said that Emukiller was so predictable and did the same TP every time, and in certain situations, he'd do only X option. He basically said that reading Mewtwo is probably the easiest way to beat the character because many Mewtwos think that the character is a free autowin, and the problem is many of our top players are letting the same TP hit them over and over again. I remember he also posted on the boards a few days ago saying that when he 2-0'd ZeRo, ZeRo went around asking everyone in the venue for Zenith what they thought on diddy and he never once realized that maybe he was being outplayed.

Long story short, don't get predictable. Sheik can punish predictable TPs with the chop, needles, and the kicks.

But if you can find a range where you can safely outspace her and at the same time be in range so needles get punished, then thats the zone you want to be in. Also as soon as you get her in the air, juggle her. She's weak to them. Her down air is kinda bad. Only good for combo extending, and really only on FFers, which Mewtwo is not.

Last edited:

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Sheik is definitely not a matchup you'll win for free. She's fast, has an amazing punish game, is one of the few characters that can legitimately challenge your recovery, has decent options for killing off the top, and crouch/crawl is godlike.

Mixups are absolutely necessary as stated, because Sheik will punish you any time you get predictable. Get her offstage or in the air asap and keep her there until she dies. Most Sheiks still favor dthrow after years of Melee, so DI up and away when you get grabbed unless you see them mixing in bthrow.

proxibomb

Smash Clown
I've got three MUs hot and ready. Please note, these are subject to change. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Marth - :marth:
Mewtwo will, at first, not do so well with Marth. A lot of Marth's moves cause Mewtwo to fall back. You'll have to depend on racking up damage, do as much as possible. Against a Marth, you actually have really good chances staying alive if you offensive, as Marth is a defensive character, he'll try to keep distance. Your best chance at winning a quick stock is showing dominance. Dominance is key for beating Marth. Get lots of grabs, he can't use counter against grabs. Either throw him down for some good combos, or throw him back or forward. Once he's racked up more than 60%, fly him off stage! and gimp him. Do not be afraid to go near the boundaries of the blast zone, Mewtwo's recovery will help you get back on stage. Depend on using bairs when Marth is off stage, the distance your tail has will do well against countering his up-b. If you're on small stages with straight sides, like Green Hill Zone, you can do a stage spike and finish him off with a dair - it's really difficult to achieve though.

Roy - :roypm:
Mewtwo's matchup with Roy is somewhat similar to Marth. With Roy though, his main game is either playing like an average Marth (very defensive), or being offensive. Mewtwo won't do very well with Roy, your best bet is spamming some shadow balls, and trying to grab him. Roy's moves, if correct, have a slight amount if ending lag to them, especially his shield-breaker. Use that ending lag to grab him or pull of a tail combo. Tail combos involve using various tilts, and finishing it off with either a bair, or another strong move. Once Roy has gained some percentage, take him off stage, like Marth! and play extremely offensive, defensive works too. Either gimp, or go near boundaries to push him to the blast zone. Do not wait until Roy is near the ledge to make your move, you'll be caught by his up-b.

Pikachu - :pikachu2:
Pikachu, to me at least, is the worst match up for Mewtwo. You either succeed, or die trying very hard. If you simply use smash moves, you aren't going to do much. Pikachu can actually duck under the shadow ball, that includes a fully charged shadow ball, similar to how Kirby can. That's one move down. If the player has a fast reaction speed, something. competitive Pikachu player really needs, using side-b is useless unless you do it in the air, this also goes for down-b. That's all your special moves. For smash moves, your up smash has bit too much starting lag, but you should still be able to pull off combos. Side smashes work well, not the best. Your down smash should stay as a finisher move, especially when Pikachu is recovering with his teleport (up-b). Use tilts. Use tilts! I can't stress this enough. Use your tail too, any move involving Mewtwo's tail have a pretty good chance against Pikachu. Using your nair is also useful for grab combos, and getting some percentage on Pikachu. Stay away from his combo game, your best bet at winning the match is play a very good defensive game. Try to lure Pikachu off stage, Mewtwo's off-stage combat is very good.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Marth isn't really a defensive character. He plays a more balanced style built around his strong zoning capabilities. You match his normals range but not his speed or grab range, so he'll try to capitalize on that. Keep him out with shadow balls and pokes, then mix up your approaches so that he has to guess on how to defend them. He doesn't have any solid all-rounder options to cover your various approach angles. Don't take him to anything remotely resembling Green Hill Zone, you'll just make things more difficult for yourself. That stage is generally awful for Mewtwo, especially against characters that want to pressure you at relatively close range.

Normally I'd make a sarcastic comment about Marths overusing counter, but it's sort-of effective against Mewtwo since his grab range is so much shorter than anything else he's got and side-b actually triggers counter (presumably due to the windboxes?). Still not something that a Marth should ever get too comfortable using unless they're balls deep inside their opponent's head though.

Roy plays more aggressively than Marth. Space him out, make him play your game at your tempo. If you get him offstage he's in serious trouble, use that to pressure him until he caves.

Pikachu has great mobility but no range. Don't expect to get much off him offstage, his mobility with Quick Attack is much better than your aerial mobility.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

How do you fight a Samus that runs and spams Missiles all day?

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
Pikachu has great mobility but no range. Don't expect to get much off him offstage, his mobility with Quick Attack is much better than your aerial mobility.
Only thing I really disagree with. Pikachu's burst range can either match Fox's or be significantly better on certain stages (cuz QAC is fun). In a game like PM where dash momentum carries into your jump, range isn't as much of an issue. Plus Pika is tiny, incredibly hard to grab, and also has a decent projectile. Also one Teleport read and Pika is getting that up smash killing at 65%.

ChKn

Smash Ace
I'm having trouble dealing with the ROB mu. I have gotten a few matches in (luckily some have been recorded) and I think my main problem in the MU don't know what to do when I'm pressured.

In general, I actually don't know what to do with pressure from Fox and Falco. I feel like that's probably the biggest problem in my gameplay.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Mewtwo's OoS game is okay at best (usmash isn't great, his jumpsquat is relatively long, teleport has some startup and risks a read if you can't autocancel somewhere safely) and he has limited options to counterattack when someone's right on top of you. The best thing you can do is actively create space for yourself, something Mewtwo does well thanks to his range and mobility tools. I'd actually argue that spacing is the root cause of your pressure problem here though - Mewtwo is most comfortable with the opponent at a distance where you can threaten with teleport. Any further and he can't exert pressure, though he's also unlikely to be pressured in return. Any closer and you risk exposing holes in his close-range game, especially versus someone like ROB that has good reach or characters like Fox and Falco with great shield pressure (and in Fox's case, stellar mobility). The other thing I'd point out at a glance is that you're not fully capitalizing on hit confirms. For instance, I saw you follow an utilt by charging Shadow Ball when you could have gone for teleport into hover uair juggles.

Last edited:

Darkoness21

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0576-4758-7122
I have trouble dealing with the link/toon link MU. My problem I notice is that I give them too much space to spam projectiles while I use shadow balls. I don't know what to do when they are inside my range, pressuring me with their sword. Any tips for this MU?

Last edited:

Dandizzle

Smash Journeyman
For R.O.B I would just do the classic teleport --> float nair --> shield pressure mixup (fairs etc.) I can't imagine him not getting chipped by the first or second fair because his shield is so small. But the neutral can actually be sorta tricky with R.O.Bs projectiles and aerials. If you use shadowball on the ground too much your are letting R.O.B approach with arm rotor for free. You should stay grounded a bit more than usual and use Mewtwo's literally broken powershield size to reflect gyro/lasers and use tilts to space (ex: WD --> Ftilt) Doing float Bairs will keep him away as well (Pretty great for edgeguarding because he doesn't get his boosts back on hit) but the best place you can put him is above you because Mewtwo's juggles are ridiculous and R.O.Bs ability to get out of juggles is pretty bad without gyro or a close platform. Also a general anti R.O.B tip is that you can easily smash DI out of Dsmash at a lot of percents which makes him a way worse character then he first may seem. Overall R.O.B does better against M2 then a lot of characters but his shield size and recovery is so easy to exploit a well played Mewtwo should take the match. I'd say 55-45 Mewtwo wins, probably even if Mewtwo is nerfed and R.O.B is changed a bit but that's just speculation.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
I have trouble dealing with the link/toon link MU. My problem I notice is that I give them too much space to spam projectiles while I use shadow balls.
Then cut down on the shadow balls and change your spacing. SB is a pretty situational tool anyway. Useful, but best employed in very specific contexts. You have ridiculously good options to deal with projectile spam and your optimal spacing encourages positions that allow you to react to Link/Tink's projectiles effectively.

I don't know what to do when they are inside my range, pressuring me with their sword.
The best thing you can do is actively create space for yourself, something Mewtwo does well thanks to his range and mobility tools.
Damn I'm good.

For R.O.B I would just do the classic teleport --> float nair --> shield pressure mixup (fairs etc.)
While this is probably sufficient to beat most ROB players, it's far from optimal. Effective teleport approaches utilize a variety of angles and tools and make the matchup much better than merely 55:45 for Mewtwo. The rest of your advice is good though.

Top Bottom