• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Metal Discussion (Come in here for the chugga chuzz of the br00tal metal)

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
maybe.

its not really a big deal as much as their lame attitude about the whole thing (and their lame attitude about the controversy of the dude playing over a guitar pro midi for a "guitar playthrough" vid. they just seem like douchers in general. all metal recording nowadays is more about Ableton editing and pitch correction, that its not a big deal to speed some riffs up, but i seem to remember them getting really defensive about it.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Man, this thread needs way more love.

With the end of the year upon us, I'll list my Top 15 Metal Albums of 2014. After a bit of thought, I think I'm pleased with the following order. I'll link to general singles/videos/etc. from each album for preview purposes.

Counting down from 15-1:

[collapse=SEHN'S TOP 15 IN 2014]
15) Arch Enemy - War Eternal (Melodic Death Metal)
-Arch Enemy gained a new vocalist after Gossow stepped down, who hand-picked Alyssa White-Gluz from The Agonist to replace her. Gluz certainly holds her own as the new vocalist, and this is a solid AE release, though it didn't quite blow me away, and is eclipsed by the other entries.
--Fave Track: On and On

14) Mors Principium Est - Dawn of the 5th Era (Melodic Death Metal)
-I hadn't known that MPE were coming out with a new album, so I was excited. I'm still wavering on what I think about it, however; while this is a good album, I'm not yet sure if anything stands out or has gripped me (not like in their 2012 offering). Maybe I need to listen to it more, since it did come out less than a month ago. Still, excellent modern melodeath by all accounts.
--Fave Track: The Forsaken

13) Machine Head - Bloodstone and Diamonds (Post-Thrash?)
-I can't be called a MH fan, but I've heard some of their stuff. This album impressed me, and I'm inclined to dig into their discography. Diversity in songs, aggressive tone, and a thick wall of sound, and those classic MH riffs.
--Fave Track: Sail Into The Black

12) Animals As Leaders - The Joy of Motion (Instrumental Math Metal?)
-Tosin Abasi brings his eight-string virtuosity to the fore once again. AAL blend sounds of prog, tech, djent, and blues into melodic, soulful, complex pieces, so you both never quite know where a song is headed, and are impressed with the technicality at every step.
--Fave Track: Crescent

11) Thantifaxath - Sacred White Noise (Black Metal)
-This is supremely bleak, otherworldly black metal. I've never heard anything quite like it, and it's certainly not your usual Trv Kvlt Black Metal fare. This album is the sound of the descent into the abyss. Very interesting material, if you have the palette to sit through it.
--Fave Track: Gasping In Darkness

10) YOB - Clearing the Path to Ascend (Doom Metal)
-I hardly listen to any Doom Metal, but I found this not too long ago, and I really dig it. The album has an epic, soaring quality to it, and there's a diversity in the vocal styles used. This is the kind of Doom I can get into.
--Fave Track: Marrow

9) Septicflesh - Titan (Symphonic Death Metal)
-These guys are masters of the genre, and Titan is a fittingly titanic offering. They make use of the Prague Philharmonic Orchestra to compose hard hitting, layered pieces. I don't enjoy Titan as much as their last two post-reunion albums -- Titan is more chaotic and less accessible -- but this is still an excellent entry into their discography.
--Fave Track: Ground Zero

8) Agalloch - The Serpent & The Sphere (Appalachian Metal)
-Agalloch are one of the big names of the so-called Appalachian scene, and for good reasons. Their albums stand strong, and while this latest offering took a while to grow on me, I'd say it's a worthy inclusion to their repertoire. As ever, you have a blend of acoustic and electric, fusing black and folk and post-metal for evocative atmosphere.
--Fave Track: Plateau of the Ages

7) Fallujah - The Flesh Prevails (Technical Death Metal)
-This is my first exposure to the band. Apparently, they were previously a general deathcore outfit, and have undergone a stark evolution into a progressive, technical blend of death metal. I can certainly say that I like the sound. It's very ethereal and melodious, thanks to the interesting guitar tones used. A band worth keeping an eye on going forward, for sure.
--Fave Track: The Starlit Path

6) Panopticon - Roads to the North (Appalachian Metal)
-Panopticon practices a unique blend of black metal and bluegrass, to interesting and delectable effect. It was certainly the case on their previous effort Kentucky, and it's the same here. Banjos, flutes, and violins collide with your standard Appalachian style. I'm relatively new to the Appalachian scene, but bands like Panopticon make me glad I started exploring it.
--Fave Track: Echoes of a Disharmonic Evensong

5) Beyond Creation - Earthborn Evolution (Technical Death Metal)
-The sophomore effort of Beyond Creation is stellar from beginning to end, and is an improvement over their debut. It feels more mature and focused, yet delivers the same BC experience -- groovy, tasteful technicality, fretless bass wizardry, and heaps of cool, memorable passages.
--Fave Track: Earthborn Evolution

4) Ne Obliviscaris - Citadel (Progressive Melodeath)
-NeO's debut, Portal of I, shook the scene with its progressive blend of melodeath, acoustics, and solo violin. Citadel is an interesting follow-up in contrast. The latter is more focused and somber than the former, but the former is more expansive and colourful than the latter. Yet both stand immensely strong with sublime musicianship. Beautiful stuff.
--Fave Track: Devour Me Colossus, Part 1: Blackholes

3) Infestus - The Reflecting Void (Melodic Black Metal)
-Here's an obscure pick, which I'm extremely glad I found. It's catchy, hypnotic, immersive black metal which draws you in. I've been listening to this album frequently since I first found it last month (though it came out in April). What's more impressive is that this is a one-man project. Can't get enough of this.
--Fave Track: Constant Soul Corrosion

2) Insomnium - Shadows of the Dying Sun (Melodic Death Metal)
-Insomnium are one of my Top 5 bands, and I universally enjoy their discography. This sixth and latest effort took a bit of time to grow on me (as is often the case with new Insomnium), but I've come to greatly appreciate the subtleties at play. Insomnium doesn't change their formula much between albums, but they don't have to when their formula works -- melancholic, bittersweet melodeath.
--Fave Track: While We Sleep

1) Behemoth - The Satanist (Blackened Death Metal)
-This is an immense album, and a new phase for Behemoth's sound. There was trepidation as to whether frontman Nergal would survive his bout with Leukemia. But he did, and it seems his experiences have reinvigorated his muse. The Satanist is dark, crushing, catchy, enigmatic, and immersive. One wonders how they can possibly surpass this colossal record in the future, but in the meantime, throw up your horns. \m/:chuckle:\m/
--Fave Track: O Father, O Satan, O Sun!

And now, some honourable mentions (i.e. albums that either didn't make the cut, or that I haven't made up my mind about yet):

Saor - Aura (Black/Folk Metal);
Revocation - Deathless (Technical Thrash Metal?);
Triptykon - Melana Chasmata (Gothic Black/Doom Metal?);
Cormorant - Earth Diver (Progressive Black Metal?);
Krimh - Krimhera (Instrumental Post-Metal?).
[/collapse]

It's been a good year for metal, clearly. Anyone have their own fave picks from 2014?

EDIT: Also, in terms of 2015, I'm eager to listen to the upcoming Enslaved, Dimmu Borgir, Sylosis, The Agonist, Moonspell, and Nightwish albums. And Wintersun's Time II, assuming it ever does come out.

SECOND EDIT: 2-3 days after I first posted this list, I came across Divination of Antiquity by Winterfylleth, a British melodic (?) black metal group. To revise my album list, I'd kick out War Eternal, and stick Winterfylleth in the 6-8 range. Here's a sampler.

Last edited:

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
my favorite metal albums last year were: Son of Aurelius - Under a Western Sun, Archspire - Lucid Collective, BORIS - Noise, Anaal Nathrakh- Desideratum, Fall of the Albatross - Enormous Cloud, Thantifaxath - Sacred White Noise, Inanimate Existence - Neverending Cycle of Atonement.

most overhyped disappointments are easily both the new Contortionist and the new Fallujah.

anyways, so my band basically gave up on getting our album out and quietly broke up. but we put out a new song today. check it out, Contacting Nebulas

http://contactingnebulas.bandcamp.com/

the vocalist and I are starting a more experimental mathcore/electronic project which is the direction i've been trying to go musically so i'm not too sad

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
my favorite metal albums last year were: Son of Aurelius - Under a Western Sun, Archspire - Lucid Collective, BORIS - Noise, Anaal Nathrakh- Desideratum, Fall of the Albatross - Enormous Cloud, Thantifaxath - Sacred White Noise, Inanimate Existence - Neverending Cycle of Atonement.

most overhyped disappointments are easily both the new Contortionist and the new Fallujah.
I tried Desideratum (my first exposure to AN), but it was a bit too chaotic for my tastes (though I should listen to it again to be sure). I also tried Inanimate Existence and Archspire, though I didn't give their albums a solid listen. I'll take a look at your other picks (other than Thantifaxath, which was great).

I found Contortionist's new album, though I'm unfamiliar with their past work. Intuition is a nice, mellow song, but the other stuff from Language didn't do much for me. Would you recommend their older stuff?

The Flesh Prevails was, similarly, my first exposure to Fallujah. It's an interesting sound, I find. I particularly like the first three tracks off the album.

That's a recurring theme for 2014. This must be the year where I've discovered the most bands and listened to the most albums. It's probably because this is the first year where I decided to actually track and follow new releases. Hopefully, 2015 will yield just as much good stuff.

anyways, so my band basically gave up on getting our album out and quietly broke up. but we put out a new song today. check it out, Contacting Nebulas

http://contactingnebulas.bandcamp.com/

the vocalist and I are starting a more experimental mathcore/electronic project which is the direction i've been trying to go musically so i'm not too sad
Not too shabby, man. I also took a moment to sample Imaginary Images. Cosmic-themed metal is always cool.

I've always wanted to pick up the guitar, but never got around to it. Making music seems like a fun creative outlet. Maybe within the next few years or so. Never too late to start, or so they say.

Last edited:

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
The Contortionist's first album is so insanely different than Language that it's futile to compare the two. They're simply not the same band they started out as. The first album, Exoplanet is a very solid progressive deathcore style, and while it may be a little too heavy on the chug chug aspects, it's also way interesting in structure and general riffage. Their second album, Intrinsic was way more slower paced, more focused on ambience and somewhat dizzying guitar polyrhythms. I didn't like it, but it had its moments because the contrast between the heavier guitar rhythms and dreamy electronic soundscapes was neat. Language basically has no trace of aggression in it and just sounds like watered down Cynic to me.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I see. In that case, I'll check those out.

I suppose it's similar to what's going on with Alcest at the moment. Their first three albums were elegiac blackened shoegaze, whereas their 2014 album Shelter abandoned all traces of metal for a sort of mellow shoegaze outing. I did like the album, but it isn't metal, and I prefer their older sound (and hope they return to it at some point). Les Voyages De L'Ame is one of my favourite albums ever. But I digress.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I liked the new Alcest okay, but I want the older style back as well, my favorite is Ecailles de Lune. Same thing happened with Lantlos, whose older work is immaculate, but I couldn't get into the singing on the latest album at all.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Ecailles is sublime, naturally, though I prefer the ineffable quality of Voyages a bit more.

Since I'm fluent in French, I also appreciate their lyrics. Pretty stuff indeed.

Anyone like Les Discrets? It seems they have close ties with Alcest, both sonically and in terms of members. They're like a more somber, wistful counterpart to Alcest's dreamy nostalgia.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I really, really, really need to get back into heavy metal again. It's been way to long since I lasted explored what the genre had to offer. Do you guys have any suggestions?

I like any type of metal but I am a huge fan of bands like Tristania, Leaves Eyes, Draconia, Eluveitie, Amon Amarth, Opeth, Summoning, Dimmu Borgir, Emperor, In Flames, Gorgoroth, Children of Bodom, Wintersun, ENISFERUM, Fin Troll, Norma Jean, The Chariot, Between the Buried and Me, HEAD PHONES PRESIDENT, and As I Lay Dying. Any idea of what else I can listen to seeing as how a good portion of these bands are sadly no more or have died down in activity. Recommendations would be gladly appreciated though I will be skimming through this thread when I have more time tomorrow.

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I really, really, really need to get back into heavy metal again. It's been way to long since I lasted explored what the genre had to offer. Do you guys have any suggestions?

I like any type of metal but I am a huge fan of bands like Tristania, Leaves Eyes, Draconia, Eluveitie, Amon Amarth, Opeth, Summoning, Dimmu Borgir, Emperor, In Flames, Gorgoroth, Children of Bodom, Wintersun, ENISFERUM, Fin Troll, Norma Jean, The Chariot, Between the Buried and Me, HEAD PHONES PRESIDENT, and As I Lay Dying. Any idea of what else I can listen to seeing as how a good portion of these bands are sadly no more or have died down in activity. Recommendations would be gladly appreciated though I will be skimming through this thread when I have more time tomorrow.
So it looks like you're into female-fronted bands, melodeath, symphonic metal, black metal, power/folk metal, and metalcore. Here are some thoughts concerning each style:

-Stuff like Lacuna Coil and Epica might serve you well for female-fronted groups. Nightwish is straight female-led symphonic metal.

-If you like Opeth, you might like Enslaved. It's a fusion of prog and black metal, very cool. And their new album comes out this March. There's also Katatonia to consider.

-Dimmu Borgir is coming out with new stuff this year, apparently. So look forward to that. Other symphonic black metal bands I know of include Carach Angren and Shade Empire. Septicflesh and Fleshgod Apocalypse are symphonic death metal. You might also like Cradle of Filth.

-If you're into In Flames, you'd probably enjoy Dark Tranquility and At the Gates. These three were the early pioneers of the Gothenburg style of melodeath. And At the Gates has released a new album in 2014 after 19 years, so that's worth checking out. And if you're into melodeath generally, there's tons of stuff out there (Insomnium, Kalmah. Mors Principium Est, Omnium Gatherum, Be'lakor, Scar Symmetry, Arch Enemy...). Children of Bodom are very similar to Norther, which are both similar to earlier-era Kalmah.

-I'm afraid I don't listen to too much folk(/power) metal. I do know of Equilibrium, though (German-languge folk). Same goes for straight black metal, which I don't listen all that much to the Trv Kvlt stuff (though I do know the names, like Gorgoroth and Emperor and Darkthrone and Immortal and the like).

-After As I Lay Dying disbanded due to the arrest and imprisonment of Tim Lambesis, the other members formed a new band called Wovenwar. Other bands in this sphere include Killswitch Engage, All That Remains, Trivium, and Unearth.

Also, feel free to check my Best of 2014 post earlier in the thread. I have links to tracks, and the list has some variety in there.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
So it looks like you're into female-fronted bands, melodeath, symphonic metal, black metal, power/folk metal, and metalcore. Here are some thoughts concerning each style:

-Stuff like Lacuna Coil and Epica might serve you well for female-fronted groups. Nightwish is straight female-led symphonic metal
I forgot to add Nightwish. I like Nightwish but not so much Lucina Lacuna Coil. But yeah, you really hit the nail on the head in regards to my likes.

-If you like Opeth, you might like Enslaved. It's a fusion of prog and black metal, very cool. And their new album comes out this March. There's also Katatonia to consider.
Ah, yeah, I also forgot to add Katatonia as well >< I will check out Enslaved. I have heard of them but I never listened to their music.

-Dimmu Borgir is coming out with new stuff this year, apparently. So look forward to that. Other symphonic black metal bands I know of include Carach Angren and Shade Empire. Septicflesh and Fleshgod Apocalypse are symphonic death metal. You might also like Cradle of Filth.
I tried to get into Cradle of Filth but I couldn't for some odd reason. I also knew some people who were into Cradle of Filth and I had a very bad experience with them. I know you shouldn't just a band by it's fans but the entire experience left a very bad taste in my mouth.

-If you're into In Flames, you'd probably enjoy Dark Tranquility and At the Gates. These three were the early pioneers of the Gothenburg style of melodeath. And At the Gates has released a new album in 2014 after 19 years, so that's worth checking out. And if you're into melodeath generally, there's tons of stuff out there (Insomnium, Kalmah. Mors Principium Est, Omnium Gatherum, Be'lakor, Scar Symmetry, Arch Enemy...). Children of Bodom are very similar to Norther, which are both similar to earlier-era Kalmah.
I have listened to a number of the bands but I have never checked out Kalmah, Omnium Gatherum, Be'lakor. and Scar Symmetry. I love Arch Enemy and another band I forgot to add.

-I'm afraid I don't listen to too much folk(/power) metal. I do know of Equilibrium, though (German-languge folk). Same goes for straight black metal, which I don't listen all that much to the Trv Kvlt stuff (though I do know the names, like Gorgoroth and Emperor and Darkthrone and Immortal and the like).
I like a lot of folk/power/ballad metal. Eluveitie is one of my most favorite bands of all time.

-After As I Lay Dying disbanded due to the arrest and imprisonment of Tim Lambesis, the other members formed a new band called Wovenwar. Other bands in this sphere include Killswitch Engage, All That Remains, Trivium, and Unearth.
Yeah, I remember hearing about that. I was pretty shocked about Tim Lamvesis but I haven't listened to Wovenwar. I met him a while back after a concert and he was a really cool guy. A shame, really. But yeah, I am a fan of Killswitch, All that Remains, Trivium, and Unearth. I don't really care if some of those were labeled or associated with Christian metal - as long as the music is good. I am also a fan of The Showdown, Extol, Lengsel, and Savior Machine if we are to lump them all together.

Also, feel free to check my Best of 2014 post earlier in the thread. I have links to tracks, and the list has some variety in there.
Thanks Sehnsucht! You definitely gave me a lot of music to try out. I forgot to add a lot of bands I listen to/I used to listen to such as Lamb of God, Katatonia, and Battlelore. I really like expanding my tastes in music and, while I was on my "heavy metal binge" I really experimented with different genres and styles. This has also expanded into my own personal tastes within my music collection.[/quote]

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I forgot to add Nightwish. I like Nightwish but not so much Lucina Lacuna Coil. But yeah, you really hit the nail on the head in regards to my likes.

Ah, yeah, I also forgot to add Katatonia as well >< I will check out Enslaved. I have heard of them but I never listened to their music.
New Nightwish comes out in March with a new singer. Should be interesting.

Here's an Enslaved sampler for ya.

I tried to get into Cradle of Filth but I couldn't for some odd reason. I also knew some people who were into Cradle of Filth and I had a very bad experience with them. I know you shouldn't just a band by it's fans but the entire experience left a very bad taste in my mouth.
I'm not as into CoF as I once was, but it's alright music, at minimum. Not much else like it, at any rate. I first got into them during their 2000s output (e.g. Nymphetamine, Thornography, Godspeed on the Devil's Thunder). Though earlier stuff like Midian and Cruely and the Beast were pretty good, from what I've heard.

My fave album by them is Nymphetamine. I'd recommend that (or Cruelty) as a launchpad into their sound.

I have listened to a number of the bands but I have never checked out Kalmah, Omnium Gatherum, Be'lakor. and Scar Symmetry. I love Arch Enemy and another band I forgot to add.
If you like Arch Enemy, you might like The Agonist. And interestingly, The Agonist's lead vocalist switched over to Arch Enemy for their most recent album (and Gossow handpicked her as the replacement).

Melodic death metal is my main niche, so I'm real partial to the style. Lots of good finds to be had.

I like a lot of folk/power/ballad metal. Eluveitie is one of my most favorite bands of all time.
I've heard some tracks, but never got into them. Maybe I'll give them a listen, since it's been awhile. Folk/power metal, along with thrash, doom, and basic death/black metal are genres I don't explore very much (though I'm trying to dip my toes into the scenes).

Yeah, I remember hearing about that. I was pretty shocked about Tim Lamvesis but I haven't listened to Wovenwar. I met him a while back after a concert and he was a really cool guy. A shame, really. But yeah, I am a fan of Killswitch, All that Remains, Trivium, and Unearth. I don't really care if some of those were labeled or associated with Christian metal - as long as the music is good. I am also a fan of The Showdown, Extol, Lengsel, and Savior Machine if we are to lump them all together.
Trivium's Ascendancy was my gateway album from hard rock to metal proper. Good stuff, that.

Thanks Sehnsucht! You definitely gave me a lot of music to try out. I forgot to add a lot of bands I listen to/I used to listen to such as Lamb of God, Katatonia, and Battlelore. I really like expanding my tastes in music and, while I was on my "heavy metal binge" I really experimented with different genres and styles. This has also expanded into my own personal tastes within my music collection.
I've also been working to expand my palette, especially in the past two years. Tons of great material out there.

Chronicle your explorations in this thread, if you care to. Gotta keep the engine of the Metal Thread chugging. \m/

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I have been trying to get into the Japanese metal scene but that is a very touch and go. A lot of it is hair metal which I am not a huge fan of to say the least.

Blood Stain Child is basically a Japanese version of In Flames but they are decent.

GreenFox

Smash Ace
Hey guys I haven't been on this forum in a long time as I haven't been playing smash or listening to metal lately but its nice to see that this thread is still active. I wanted to check back and show what album has rekindled the metal fire for me and I apologize in advance if it has been discussed more extensively already. Witherscape by Dan Swano is great. Anything Swano related in the progressive death metal scene is almost automatically gold and its good to see him still able to pull it off even so many years later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwsLxPBknOk&list=RDEwsLxPBknOk&index=1

Last edited:

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I have been trying to get into the Japanese metal scene but that is a very touch and go. A lot of it is hair metal which I am not a huge fan of to say the least.

Blood Stain Child is basically a Japanese version of In Flames but they are decent.
BORIS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpvBplabwps

Gridlink isnt exactly a Japanesse metal band, but their guitarist-composer is from and resides in Japan https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2DBnoP8kS4

Maximum the Hormone https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdwT5JlH8gM

PF9

Smash Lord
Glam metal (or hair metal) is still metal, and I thought I'd share some of the more obscure bands I have on an external hard drive, intending to move to a phone SD card when I get a new phone and SD card later.

Blue Murder, Blue Tears, Brighton Rock, Child's Play, Contraband, Dirty Looks, D'Molls, Every Mother's Nightmare, Giuffria (their lead singer later sang "Sweet Victory", a song featured in a SpongeBob episode titled "Band Geeks", just thought I'd share that with you since the new movie is coming soon), Gorky Park, Gotthard, Gun, Heaven's Edge, Heavy Bones, Honeymoon Suite, House of Lords, Badlands, Hurricane, Icon, Johnny Crash, Kik Tracee, King Kobra, Lillian Axe, Lion, Little Caesar, Lizzy Borden, Lord Tracy, Love/Hate, Nitro, Pretty Boy Floyd, Rock City Angels, Salty Dog, Sea Hags, Shark Island, Shotgun Messiah, Sleeze Beez, Smashed Gladys, SouthGang, and Tigertailz.

I have a lot of mainstream stuff too, and not just glam metal either, all types of classic metal.

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian
New Nightwish comes out in March with a new singer. Should be interesting.

Here's an Enslaved sampler for ya.

I'm not as into CoF as I once was, but it's alright music, at minimum. Not much else like it, at any rate. I first got into them during their 2000s output (e.g. Nymphetamine, Thornography, Godspeed on the Devil's Thunder). Though earlier stuff like Midian and Cruely and the Beast were pretty good, from what I've heard.

My fave album by them is Nymphetamine. I'd recommend that (or Cruelty) as a launchpad into their sound.

If you like Arch Enemy, you might like The Agonist. And interestingly, The Agonist's lead vocalist switched over to Arch Enemy for their most recent album (and Gossow handpicked her as the replacement).

Melodic death metal is my main niche, so I'm real partial to the style. Lots of good finds to be had.

I've heard some tracks, but never got into them. Maybe I'll give them a listen, since it's been awhile. Folk/power metal, along with thrash, doom, and basic death/black metal are genres I don't explore very much (though I'm trying to dip my toes into the scenes).

Trivium's Ascendancy was my gateway album from hard rock to metal proper. Good stuff, that.

I've also been working to expand my palette, especially in the past two years. Tons of great material out there.

Chronicle your explorations in this thread, if you care to. Gotta keep the engine of the Metal Thread chugging. \m/
Haven't Nightwish already switched singers a few times before? I wonder what their deal is now.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Haven't Nightwish already switched singers a few times before? I wonder what their deal is now.
Tarja Turunen was their first vocalist. She was the operatic singer in olderschool Nightwish, appearing in their first five albums.

After Tarja stepped down, she was replaced with Annette Olzon, who had a poppier style. She was present on the sixth and seventh albums (Dark Passion Play and Imaginaerum).

Olzon then stepped down. I'm not sure why, since the story seemed unclear. It was either due to Annette getting pregnant, some behind-the-scenes drama within the band, or some combination of both.

And now, they've recruited Floor Jansen as their vocalist. She's been touring with Nightwish ever since 2012-2013, and is set to formally debut in their upcoming eighth album (Endless Forms Most Beautiful), which drops next month.

So that's the History of Nightwish for you.

If you want to hear the new material, Nightwish has recently released their first single from their next album (Elan), which you can watch below:

Personally, I find the above single rather tepid. Then again, it's very single-y. Hopefully, the rest of the album will have more bombast.

Last edited:

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian
Tarja Turunen was their first vocalist. She was the operatic singer in olderschool Nightwish, appearing in their first five albums.

After Tarja stepped down, she was replaced with Annette Olzon, who had a poppier style. She was present on the sixth and seventh albums (Dark Passion Play and Imaginaerum).

Olzon then stepped down. I'm not sure why, since the story seemed unclear. It was either due to Annette getting pregnant, some behind-the-scenes drama within the band, or some combination of both.

And now, they've recruited Floor Jansen as their vocalist. She's been touring with Nightwish ever since 2012-2013, and is set to formally debut in their upcoming eighth album (Endless Forms Most Beautiful), which drops next month.

So that's the History of Nightwish for you.

If you want to hear the new material, Nightwish has recently released their first single from their next album (Elan), which you can watch below:

Personally, I find the above single rather tepid. Then again, it's very single-y. Hopefully, the rest of the album will have more bombast.
I see. Thanks for the info. I've never really been a huge fan of Nightwish, so I wasn't aware of that stuff. The song you linked was alright, but I agree it sounds pretty generic. Nightwish has never really been my thing, and that song doesn't really change that for me.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I see. Thanks for the info. I've never really been a huge fan of Nightwish, so I wasn't aware of that stuff. The song you linked was alright, but I agree it sounds pretty generic. Nightwish has never really been my thing, and that song doesn't really change that for me.
Well, there are two (and now three) "eras" of Nightwish for someone to choose from. Many prefer Tarja's run, since it was straight symphonic metal with operatic vocals (and most Nightwish classics hail from that era). Though there are some decent pieces from Olzon's run.

Still, YMMV. I enjoy them enough to be invested in the outcome of their upcoming album. At any rate, though they certainly don't rank among my faves.

By the way, it seems you joined recently. Perhaps you'd care to discuss the kind of metal you like.

Also, @ Luigitoilet Luigitoilet , thanks for the Gridlink recommendation. I tried some tracks from Longhena; it's not a style of metal I usually listen to, but I find the short song lengths and chaotic, frenzied melody to be quite fascinating.

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian
Well, there are two (and now three) "eras" of Nightwish for someone to choose from. Many prefer Tarja's run, since it was straight symphonic metal with operatic vocals (and most Nightwish classics hail from that era). Though there are some decent pieces from Olzon's run.

Still, YMMV. I enjoy them enough to be invested in the outcome of their upcoming album. At any rate, though they certainly don't rank among my faves.

By the way, it seems you joined recently. Perhaps you'd care to discuss the kind of metal you like.

Also, @ Luigitoilet Luigitoilet , thanks for the Gridlink recommendation. I tried some tracks from Longhena; it's not a style of metal I usually listen to, but I find the short song lengths and chaotic, frenzied melody to be quite fascinating.
Sure, I'll have a go at it. My favorite type of metal is probably death metal, though I'm a fan of most metal subgenres. One band that I found recently that I've been enjoying a lot is Twilight Force. They're basically everything that is right with cheesy power metal.

I've also been listening to some Bell Witch recently. Very solid funeral doom metal, just an all around good band. Their album "Longing" is worth checking out, along with "Tales of Ancient Prophecies" by Twilight Force.

Truth be told, besides those two bands and a few other songs here and there, I haven't been listening to much metal recently. Is there anything you've listened to recently that you'd recommend?

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Sure, I'll have a go at it. My favorite type of metal is probably death metal, though I'm a fan of most metal subgenres. One band that I found recently that I've been enjoying a lot is Twilight Force. They're basically everything that is right with cheesy power metal.

I've also been listening to some Bell Witch recently. Very solid funeral doom metal, just an all around good band. Their album "Longing" is worth checking out, along with "Tales of Ancient Prophecies" by Twilight Force.

Truth be told, besides those two bands and a few other songs here and there, I haven't been listening to much metal recently. Is there anything you've listened to recently that you'd recommend?
Well, I've been hooked on Bloodshot Dawn's Demons, which came out in October. It's melodic death metal with a technical edge to it. I dig to an unhealthy degree.

Here's a track, and the album proper.

You can also refer to my earlier post at the top of this page to see my Best of 2014 list, if you want some recent selections.

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian
Well, I've been hooked on Bloodshot Dawn's Demons, which came out in October. It's melodic death metal with a technical edge to it. I dig to an unhealthy degree.

Here's a track, and the album proper.

You can also refer to my earlier post at the top of this page to see my Best of 2014 list, if you want some recent selections.
Nice. I've actually already heard Demons, and it's pretty good. I've never actually listened to Alcest, but mentally I always get them mixed up with Agalloch.

I see you were talking about Carach Angren as well, they're one of my favorites. They released a new album very recently, called This is No Fairytale. I still need to listen to that one, but I'm expecting good things.

If you like technical/melodic death metal, you should check out the album Defiant Imagination by Quo Vadis. Highly recommended.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Nice. I've actually already heard Demons, and it's pretty good. I've never actually listened to Alcest, but mentally I always get them mixed up with Agalloch.

I see you were talking about Carach Angren as well, they're one of my favorites. They released a new album very recently, called This is No Fairytale. I still need to listen to that one, but I'm expecting good things.

If you like technical/melodic death metal, you should check out the album Defiant Imagination by Quo Vadis. Highly recommended.
Alcest is fab, though their most recent album is a huge shift in sound (to a non-metal dreamy shoegaze sound). But I do recommend them nonetheless (as well as Les Discrets, another French band with a similar aesthetic). And of course, Agalloch is great in their own right.

I watched one of the animated lyric videos for Carach Angren's new stuff (the one with the dysfunctional family). Seemed interesting. Now that the album is out, I'll have to check it out.

And I will certainly check out Quo Vadis. I think I've come across the name, but have no idea what they're about. 8)

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian
Alcest is fab, though their most recent album is a huge shift in sound (to a non-metal dreamy shoegaze sound). But I do recommend them nonetheless (as well as Les Discrets, another French band with a similar aesthetic). And of course, Agalloch is great in their own right.

I watched one of the animated lyric videos for Carach Angren's new stuff (the one with the dysfunctional family). Seemed interesting. Now that the album is out, I'll have to check it out.

And I will certainly check out Quo Vadis. I think I've come across the name, but have no idea what they're about. 8)
I'll have to check out Alcest then, since they're so fab.

Also, I meant to link Quo Vadis in my last post, but I forgot, so here you go. This whole album is pretty killer, but here's the first track.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I'll have to check out Alcest then, since they're so fab.

Also, I meant to link Quo Vadis in my last post, but I forgot, so here you go. This whole album is pretty killer, but here's the first track.

Les Voyages De L'Âme
is one of my favourite albums ever. Though Écailles De Lune is good also. Alcest is not heavy; it's more dreamlike wonder.

And that Quo Vadis track was pretty good. I'll peruse them further.

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian
Les Voyages De L'Âme is one of my favourite albums ever. Though Écailles De Lune is good also. Alcest is not heavy; it's more dreamlike wonder.

And that Quo Vadis track was pretty good. I'll peruse them further.
Sounds good, I'll make sure to listen to that Alcest album.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Sounds good, I'll make sure to listen to that Alcest album.
So I listened to more of Quo Vadis. It's interesting and fairly good. Thanks for the recommendation.

Though it seems (upon further investigation) that they haven't released an actual album since Defiant Imagination (so over a decade). Still, they have a few albums there to peruse.

In other metal news, a new Enslaved sampler has come out. Like the previous single, this is an edited version, cut down in length, so it's not the full experience. Still, I like what I hear. There's an interesting Viking chant section, like something right out of Skalmold:

In Times comes out in one week, so I'm stoked. Enslaved are becoming among my fave bands. I doubt that In Times will disappoint. 8)

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian
So I listened to more of Quo Vadis. It's interesting and fairly good. Thanks for the recommendation.

Though it seems (upon further investigation) that they haven't released an actual album since Defiant Imagination (so over a decade). Still, they have a few albums there to peruse.

In other metal news, a new Enslaved sampler has come out. Like the previous single, this is an edited version, cut down in length, so it's not the full experience. Still, I like what I hear. There's an interesting Viking chant section, like something right out of Skalmold:

In Times comes out in one week, so I'm stoked. Enslaved are becoming among my fave bands. I doubt that In Times will disappoint. 8)
It really is too bad about Quo Vadis. They released a single back in 2010, but I have no idea what they've been up to recently. It's a bummer, Defiant Imagination is a nice album.

Man, I haven't heard Enslaved in a long time. I don't exactly know how I feel about the singing portions, however. I like harsh and clean singing, but when they're put into the same song it just sounds strange to me. That's probably just a problem with me though, so no biggie.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I have no issues with mixed vocals. Enslaved's particular style of ancient crow rasping and Akerfeldt-esque crooning works rather well in contrast. It helps sell the package of "black metal x prog" fusion they do, at any rate.

I'm not as familiar with their older stuff, but I hugely dug RIITIIR and Axioma. I'm trying to slowly work my way backward through their discography. I have my eyes on Isa, next.

Last edited:

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian
I have no issues with mixed vocals. Enslaved's particular style of ancient crow rasping and Akerfeldt-esque crooning works rather well in contrast. It helps sell the package of "black metal x prog" fusion they do, at any rate.

I'm not as familiar with their older stuff, but I hugely dug RIITIIR and Axioma. I'm trying to slowly work my way backward through their discography. I have my eyes on Isa, next.
I do like some mixed vocals, two examples being Opeth and Ahab. I normally like mixed vocals where it fits the aesthetic of the genre. I feel that singing is well done in funeral doom.

I've heard Frost and Eld in full before, but other than that I've only heard individual songs from Enslaved.

MyBeardisOP

Smash Rookie
NNID
MyBeardisOP
i mainly listen to the progressive side of metal, mainly the like of Opeth, Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, Gojira and Protest The Hero.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Nuclear Blast has put up a full album stream of Enslaved's In Times on their channel. 8DDDD

Listened to the first few minutes of each track. Sounds very gewd. Get it while it's hot, y'all.

Also listened to some of the new The Agonist material, but I found it lukewarm, alas. Same for the new Carach Angren, though I think I'll give them both another more focused listen, just to be sure.

By way of singular pieces, I'm finding new Melechesh and Keep of Kalessin interesting.

Furthermore, it seems Xanthochroid is aiming for a new album in 2015, so much hype there. Blessed He With Boils was a great 2012 capper.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
So what did we enjoy in this year of 2015?

Instead of doing a ranked listing, I'll just drop the albums that I've listened to and enjoyed heartily (in order of alphabet, and with links to select tracks):

-Cattle Decapitation - The Anthropocene Extinction (Deathgrind)
-Deafheaven - New Bermuda (Blackgaze?)
-Enshine - Singularity (Melodeath)
-Enslaved - In Times (Progressive Black)
-A Forest of Stars - Beware the Sword You Cannot See (Avant-Garde)
-Ghost - Meliora (Heavy Metal?)
-Ghost Bath - Moonlover (Blackgaze)
-Grey Heaven Fall - Black Wisdom (Black/Death)
-Keep of Kalessin - Epistemology (Melodic Black)
-Panopticon - Autumn Eternal (Black/Folk)
-Rivers of Nihil - Monarchy (Technical Death)
-Sunless Rise - Unrevealed (Melodeath)

Albums which I thought were pretty decent, but not in the same tier as all-the-way-through greatness, include picks like the new Soilwork, Nightwish, TesseracT, and Lamb of God. There were a number of albums that seemed interesting, but I only listened to a bit, or not at all; the above only consists of stuff to which I've listened in their entirety.

In 2016, I'm eager for the upcoming Ihsahn, The Faceless, Be'lakor, Xanthochroid, Obscura, Babymetal, Dimmu Borgir, Gojira, Meshuggah, and no doubt others who have stuff in the works.

I also hope that 2016 will bring more activity to this thread. 83

EDIT: I neglected to include The Dreaming I by Akhlys in my list. Great black metal.

Last edited:

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian
I really enjoyed Gama Bomb - Untouchable Glory. I've been following these guys for a few years now; good stuff.

Here are some more albums off the top of my head that I liked:

Ahab - The Boats of the Glen Carrig
Carach Angren - This is no Fairytale
Ensiferum - One Man Army
Ghost - Meliora

I haven't listened to many new things in 2015, so I have some catching up to do. I still need to listen to the new Swallow the Sun, Blind Guardian, Iron Maiden, Sunn O))), and Baroness albums.

Last edited:
Top Bottom