• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Metal Discussion (Come in here for the chugga chuzz of the br00tal metal)

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Does it intrigue anyone that Death is one of the most common words in metal and probably what everyone wants to name their band, yet it happens to be that Death is actually a very successful band?
I just realized this.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I'm assuming you meant to link to the Digital Veil video?

if so, I totally agree even though their other new songs are pretty generic and boring.

PULL ME FROM THE GALLOOOOOOWS

[yt]O9e0NXu3lRo[/yt]

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Well, some songs on Scurrilous are starting to grow on me. I really like Hair-Trigger. Very good vocals in that and I'm glad to hear what'shername from Kezia again. I also like C'est La Vie and Sex Tapes a bit.

WaveLength

Smash Apprentice
The Human Abstract's latest album leaked.

Tell me if it's worth getting, guys.

GreenFox

Smash Ace
I think it sucks to be honest, the whole thing is guitar ****age and overusing breakdowns this is a huge letdown even from midheaven which wasnt even a fraction as good as nocturne

I AM DISSAPOINT

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Yeah, they tried much harder to be hardcore and in the end they made themself a big cliche of a band trying to progress.

GreenFox

Smash Ace
So far I've only seen people that are dissapointed. This is much worse than nocturne

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Not really getting the hate on this THA album. It's not heartmeltingly incredible but I think it's pretty good.

it is FAR, FAR better than Midheaven. The vocals are a hundred times better than the last two albums.

but still, could be a lot better overall. I love the first two tracks a lot.

I dunno if this was posted but there's also an excerpt from one of BTBAM's new songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI21vCTtob4&feature=player_embedded

instrumental-wise I love it. Tommy's vocals are really starting to bore me though. Dude never changes his harsh vocals up anymore. Compared to their self-titled and even up to some songs on Alaska, dude used to showcase an insane vocal range. Now ever since Colors it's all mids mids mids, clean autotuned vocals, more mids.

and also, the real reason I came to post was this: a clip from HORSE the band's EARTH TOUR 08. This is a performance in Kuala Lumpur- in a very hot room.

[yt]PF3GQfObyaQ[/yt]

Geenareeno

Smash Lord
Big fan of metal here. Like all of it pretty much. My avatar right now is a grindcore/deathcore band called Chelsea Grin. Love them. Just bought Hester Prynne's album today and it;s awesome if you like deathcore. Also like I Declare War, Neuraxis, Carnifex, and Suicide Silence. PTH are amazing too. Their album got leaked btw. And the new Born of Osiris is coming out on March 22nd.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
dude hell yeah, Chelsea Grin. Have you heard the keyboardists sideproject, ORBS? They're not really a metal group, but made up of members from Chelsea Grin, Between the Buried and Me, and Fear Before. They have one album out and it is really really good.

and yeah, we were talking about the new PTH album a page or two ago. it's ok.

I'm stoked for Born of Osiris, they are one of my favorite metal/djent groups around today

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Big fan of metal here. Like all of it pretty much. My avatar right now is a grindcore/deathcore band called Chelsea Grin. Love them. Just bought Hester Prynne's album today and it;s awesome if you like deathcore. Also like I Declare War, Neuraxis, Carnifex, and Suicide Silence. PTH are amazing too. Their album got leaked btw. And the new Born of Osiris is coming out on March 22nd.
Hay, I like Carnifex and Chelsea Grin, too. I have a deep loathing for Suicide Silence that I cannot figure out, though.
Also, isn't Hester Prynne just an inopportune name for a deathcore band?

Geenareeno

Smash Lord
dude hell yeah, Chelsea Grin. Have you heard the keyboardists sideproject, ORBS? They're not really a metal group, but made up of members from Chelsea Grin, Between the Buried and Me, and Fear Before. They have one album out and it is really really good.

and yeah, we were talking about the new PTH album a page or two ago. it's ok.

I'm stoked for Born of Osiris, they are one of my favorite metal/djent groups around today
K i'll check them out. I don't know if you made a typo but i'm pretty sure Chelsea Grin doesn't have a keyboardist lol. You probably meant BtBaM's keyboardist. Hopefully the new BoO is better than A Higher Place. The New Reign was amazing and way better.

Hay, I like Carnifex and Chelsea Grin, too. I have a deep loathing for Suicide Silence that I cannot figure out, though.
Also, isn't Hester Prynne just an inopportune name for a deathcore band?
Yeah I don't like Suicide Silence that much. Just No Pity for a Coward. And I guess it is, idk. :p

****in' sick breakdowns though.

Xianglian

Smash Journeyman
Ooo! I must let you guys know about these girls if you haven't already heard of them (since you guys are on the Grindcore genre now).

Flagitious Idioyncrasy in the Dilapidation
This was an all girl japanese band before some white dude took the guitarists place.
KANAKO - bass
MAKIKO - vocals
TOMOKO -drums
BEN -Guitar (c-c-c-combo breaker)

The only reason I even know about them is because they are all girls (were :glare:) and i'm a feminist when it comes to metal so I can't help it. I don't even like grindcore, but I like them

Probably my favorite song from them
Visualized

They have a new EP out called 覚醒 -Kakusei-

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
K i'll check them out. I don't know if you made a typo but i'm pretty sure Chelsea Grin doesn't have a keyboardist lol. You probably meant BtBaM's keyboardist. Hopefully the new BoO is better than A Higher Place. The New Reign was amazing and way better.

Yeah I don't like Suicide Silence that much. Just No Pity for a Coward. And I guess it is, idk. :p

****in' sick breakdowns though.
nope. I was thinking of Abigail Williams. not sure how I confused that band with Chelsea Grin.

Geenareeno

Smash Lord
Ooo! I must let you guys know about these girls if you haven't already heard of them (since you guys are on the Grindcore genre now).

Flagitious Idioyncrasy in the Dilapidation
This was an all girl japanese band before some white dude took the guitarists place.
KANAKO - bass
MAKIKO - vocals
TOMOKO -drums
BEN -Guitar (c-c-c-combo breaker)

The only reason I even know about them is because they are all girls (were :glare:) and i'm a feminist when it comes to metal so I can't help it. I don't even like grindcore, but I like them

Probably my favorite song from them
Visualized

They have a new EP out called 覚醒 -Kakusei-
LOL Wtf japanese women and grindcore are like polar opposites. I.. I'm kind of at a loss for words after listening. It's sooooo weird. They;re actually good though. Props.

Anyone else find this mindblowing? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGx8PCl_Bjw
I'm really looking forward to hearing more of these guys in the future.
Yeah that's sweet. Don't really like the singing though. Not against singing (I love All That Remains).

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Xanglian, while I DO like the band you posted, I don't like the reasons you like the band.
People like bands for the wrong reasons nowadays. I have friends who force themselves to like AX7 because they're popular, or they force themselves to like slipknot because their masks are cool.
Liking a band because it is/was all women is just as bad, and I think you should find music that you like because it makes you feel how you want to feel.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Xanglian, while I DO like the band you posted, I don't like the reasons you like the band.
People like bands for the wrong reasons nowadays. I have friends who force themselves to like AX7 because they're popular, or they force themselves to like slipknot because their masks are cool.
Liking a band because it is/was all women is just as bad, and I think you should find music that you like because it makes you feel how you want to feel.
Agreed. "I'm a feminist when it comes to metal" is kind of dumb, I have to say. It's either good music or not and who cares what sexual organs the band members have.

Geenareeno

Smash Lord
I hate it when people don't like a band because they dress like scene kids. Sure it's stupid but that doesn't change the good music.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Agreed. "I'm a feminist when it comes to metal" is kind of dumb, I have to say. It's either good music or not and who cares what sexual organs the band members have.
I do like vaginas though.
Regardless, have you guys ever heard of pirate/avant guarde metal?
OH
I completely forgot to link you guys to MapOfMetal.com too.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I do like vaginas though.
Regardless, have you guys ever heard of pirate/avant guarde metal?
OH
I completely forgot to link you guys to MapOfMetal.com too.
I like vaginas too.

though now that I think about it, I probably in all honesty wouldn't love IWRESTLEDABEARONCE as much if the vocalist wasn't a female. Though, to be fair, Krysta has probably my favorite harsh vocals period, be it male or female.

Pirate metal and avant garde metal are two different things.

Xianglian

Smash Journeyman
A girl was the reason I every started liking Metal as a whole. I think if it wasn't for her, I wouldn't have become a metalhead in the first place. I never forced myself to like any band. A good band is a good band. i can name plenty of chick bands/chick fronted bands that are terrible who are absolutely popular. (i.e. paramore, exist trace). I just notice bands when they have girls in them because I don't like the norm.

btw sliptknot is s**t, I thought this was common knowledge.

EDIT: I just read the other posts and i'm like "lol @ all the attacks, i'm not allowed to like bands because they are female/femalefronted?" Why are my musical preferences being attacked? S**t WE are usually the one's who are being attacked for listening to metal. I don't force myself to like a sh**ty band, EVER. Don't assume guys, godd*mn.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
you literally said "The only reason I even know about them is because they are all girls (were :glare:) and i'm a feminist when it comes to metal so I can't help it. I don't even like grindcore, but I like them"

It's not that you aren't allowed to like bands with females in them, but holding up groups because of their gender is pretty silly. We aren't attacking your taste in music, it's just that you made a pretty big deal about this band being mostly female, and you spent more time reiterating that factoid rather than describing the music.

Xianglian

Smash Journeyman
though now that I think about it, I probably in all honesty wouldn't love IWRESTLEDABEARONCE as much if the vocalist wasn't a female.
Butyousaidbutyousaidbutyousaid :urg:

It's just a bigger deal for me than it is for you, don't call it silly, it's a preference.

Anyways, a lot of the bands i listen to happen to have female members. The Agonist has a female lead, and her growls are just as good as the lead singer of iwestledabearonce. (If you haven't heard of them yet) Plus she's really pretty. If I had a d*ck I'd totally wish I could bang her. Although they are pretty popular so you probably already know who i'm talking about. so people who don't here's a song.

Birds Elope With the Sun

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Yeah. I said that but doesn't mean I think it's right :p .

I mean, fair enough. But still, gender doesn't really have anything to do with the music, but rather the perceived image of the band. I feel the same way towards straight edge/vegan/etc groups.

oh yeah. Agonist is pretty cool. Her voice is awesome. It's distinctly female but still heavy as ****.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
My whole issue is that you took the time and are still taking the time to make it clear that you like metal when women are involved.
I couldn't give much of a crap about who is in a band as long as I like how they sound. That being said, there never would've been an issue if you didn't make gender such a big issue. It's just as sexist as everything else you see as sexist.
BTW, I love Agonist. It has a weird screechy sound.

Xianglian

Smash Journeyman
Ok guys I see your point, I think that you guys should know that before I even liked metal I was a total Visual Kei nerd. So you have to realize that with visual kei appearance totally matters for the band and for the listener. And, I guess that way of thinking kind of stuck...so yeah. Sorry for being weird.

Top Bottom