• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Metal Discussion (Come in here for the chugga chuzz of the br00tal metal)

WaveLength

Smash Apprentice
So being as I am not going to go through 56 pages, does anyone here listen to black metal at all? I kind of fell out of the whole metal thing other than black/viking. I am not elitist about it as I think all metal is cool, I just enjoy black the most.

I have been wanting to find some new stuff, the bands I really like the most so you have an idea of what I like;

Desolation Triumphalis
Wolves in the Throne Room
Windir
Taake
Make a change.. Kill yourself
Xasthur
I dig it...

Since you like Xasthur and Desolation Triumphalis, try Hypothermia's Rakbladvalsen or Gris' Il Était une Forêt...

Other bands that aren't related to your list of bands in style but I still find them to be worth looking into: Altar of Plagues, Oranssi Pazuzu, Amesoeurs, Hades Almighty, and Blut Aus Nord

WaveLength

Smash Apprentice
So, I'm listening to Ulcerate's The Destroyers of All and I've got to say they reminded me of Deathspell Omega if they went Death Metal...and I have a vague recollection of how DsO sounds like...

Regardless, this is awesome

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
hay guise recommend stuff to me. I listen to:

7th Wonder
Abigail Williams
After The Burial
Agalloch
Anubis Gate
Ayreon
Between the Buried and Me
Blind Guardian
Crimson Glory
Dark Moor
Dark Tranquility
DGM
Dragonforce
Ensiferum
Evergrey
Galneryus <- favorite band.
Impaled
In Mourning
Into Eternity
Iron Maiden <- second favorite band.
Jacob's Dream
Judas Priest
Kamelot <- fourth favorite band.
Lost Horizon <- fifth favorite band
Loudness
Machinae Supremacy
Mercyfull Fate
Miseration
Nightwish
Nova Prospect
Origin
Orphaned Land
Persefone
Power Glove
Protest The Hero
Rhapsody of Fire <- third favorite band.
Scar Symmetry
Scorpions
Solution .45
Suffocation
Symphony X
Windir

Geist

Smash Master
Try Baroness, Opeth, Cynic, Enslaved, Sonata Arctica, Nercrophagist, Arch Enemy, Epica, Gates of Winter, Mastodon, Shade Empire, Tool, The Waters Deep Here, Wolves in the Throne Room, and Darkspace.
They're not all quite the same genres as you put down, but I figure since it looks like we both go for the same stuff, you should check them out.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
i dislike opeth, cynic, mastodon, and tool.

also most of the music in my list is progressive or power metal lol. In fact there is only one melodeath band in that entire list; Into Eternity.

I do, however, listen to a fair share of melodic death metal.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I really wanted to use a different word, but I use "douche" way too much and all the other good insults are censored.

point is is that people (especially metal people) get so uppity about what genre what band fits into that it's pretty hilarious.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Naggling over genre titles melodeath vs. melodic death metal has barely anything to do with actual music.

I don't really care about "understanding" music in the way I think you mean. I listen to a lot of music. I love it, it empowers and lifts me up, inspires my imagination and makes me dream. That is the type of "understanding" that I get from it. Talking about if such and such band is viking black death metal grind or pagan black death metal grind does not inspire me too much.

My philosophy is "listen to it...does it move me? does it sound good to me? does it melt my heart/my head? Then it's good!"

That's as far as my relationship goes with it.

anyways! here's another BTBAM teaser

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktSpVJ6nrnU&feature=feedbul

the best part is Bruce Willis' ****.

Palpi

Smash Hero
Ruby. It kills me that Equilibrium is not on your list of bands. Listen to their album "sagas" straight through. It is ****ing mind-blowing.

@luigitoilet I agree, genres are dumb >:)

Geist

Smash Master
Genres have nothing to do with actual theory lmao
¯\(-_-)/¯
I'm not all that concerned whether 'melo' is short for melodic or anything.

And ooooh new btbam :D
You know, I'm a huge huge fan of their mellow stuff, especially medicine wheel and desert of song.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
melodeath is basically power metal with ****ty "extreme" vocals like CoB and Into Eternity.

Melodic Death Metal is stuff like Armon Amarth, At The Gates, Dark Tranquility, Insomnium, Mors Principum Est, Eternal Tears of Sorrow to bands like Scar Symmetry, Solution .45, Miseration, and Soilwork.

Meleeruler

BRoomer
BRoomer
Please provide me a source explaining how melodeath isn't simply and logically a portmanteau of melodic death metal.

WaveLength

Smash Apprentice
Rubyiris, maybe you should try Iron Thrones (they sound like BTBAM without sounding totally derivative) and Ghost (catchy occult-themed Heavy Metal)...

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
So I went to a Motorhead show Tuesday...and it was amazing! I'm glad I took my camera as I took pictures and videos of the show. The vocalist of Valient Thorr (Opening band) went into the crowd and punched a guy that was throwing stuff at him and I even caught Lemmy's pick! Can't wait for the Big Four in April.

Rubyiris: I recommend Running Wild and Megadeth.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
http://www.facebook.com/protestthehero?v=app_178091127385
They released their first single, C'est La Vie, if you guys want to check it out.
I think it has much more general appeal.
This is...OK. Doesn't blow me away but doesn't really disappoint me either. It's sort of like a black hole. Just sounds like "a Protest the Hero song" to me. I hope there will be some surprises with the other new songs.

at least it's not downright boring like all the new Human Abstract stuff is shaping up to sound like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPnMAHm0KyA&feature=related

sigh...AJ, you're better than this!

Top Bottom