• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Menacing Bull: Black Shadow charges in!

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So we’re getting an ARMS rep for FP6. There’s a chance it could be Spring Man (who’s an AT), Ribbon Girl (who’s a costume and Spirit) or any of Ninjara, Twintelle or Min Min (who are Spirits).

this could definitely help Black Shadow’s chances

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Min Min is our ARMS rep, AND she’s a Spirit in base game!

SPIRITS (at least base ones) NO LONGER DECONFIRM!

this is a victory, my Black Bull Brethren!!

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
OH MY LORD Y'ALL.

if true, Black Shadow's chances just went up...

SargeAbernathy

Smash Apprentice
My "Chance" score for Black Shadow is starting to go up after this leak. Not too much ... I still think there are loads of other possibilities. But it isn't 0%.

I think there's skepticism from people, but some things add up for me. I think it's quite possible the series is getting a revival. I fully admit I could be wrong, but I certainly don't think it's out of the realm of possibility.

I'm all for a F-Zero fighter's pass. I loved that game as a kid.

Last edited:

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Wouldn't it be great to get a second F-Zero rep in this fighter's pass? I'm keeping my expectations lowered but it's nice to hope.

SargeAbernathy

Smash Apprentice
Wouldn't it be great to get a second F-Zero rep in this fighter's pass? I'm keeping my expectations lowered but it's nice to hope.
I think the chances of it happening would go up if this rumor turns out to be true.

It would make a great Fighter's Pack. There are 15 spirits already in the game for the franchise, but they could easily be upgraded to new renders.

I'm keeping my hopes in check though. Just in case someone proves it's easy to fake these things. Always a possibility. The Grinch Leak proved you got to be careful.

Abade

Smash Apprentice
I think the chances of it happening would go up if this rumor turns out to be true.

It would make a great Fighter's Pack. There are 15 spirits already in the game for the franchise, but they could easily be upgraded to new renders.

I'm keeping my hopes in check though. Just in case someone proves it's easy to fake these things. Always a possibility. The Grinch Leak proved you got to be careful.
They could also add more Spirits such as Deathborn, James McCloud, Mr. Zero, Roger Buster, Phoenix, etc

https://www.ssbwiki.com/List_of_spirits_(F-Zero_series)

https://fzero.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_F-Zero_characters

There are plenty more of characters that are not in as Spirits yet.

And Samurai Goroh could finally have that Spirit Battle
https://www.ssbwiki.com/Unused_content_(SSBU)/Spirit_Battles

as he was intended to have similar to Ninjara and Ribbon Girl.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In any case, if the Twitter account is real, then :ultfalcon:'s presence in the current tournament (set to end on Sunday) is a remarkable coincidence.

Well, I'll just leave this food for thought here...

Also, it's likely that it could simply be trademark renewal (as opposed to Sony closing down the Ape Escape anniversary Twitter account as soon as said anniversary year ended).

Last edited:

Stormy Rain

Smash Rookie
On that FZeroJP tweet, it’s apparently not an official Nintendo Handle which was based on the allegedly legit Mario 35th Anniversary Twitter Handle.
https://nintendoeverything.com/f-ze...o-be-tied-to-nintendo-debunked-as-unofficial/
There is always the previous F-Zero installments that still exists, Captain Falcon is still in Smash, the F-Zero track and Mii Costume in Mario Kart 8. Maybe if we’re lucky, with enough fan demand Nintendo could finally make a new F-Zero game or at least add a new F-Zero Fighter like Black Shadow in Smash. It seem to have worked for the Super Smash Bros Ultimate Newcomers such as Ridley, King K. Rool, Banjo & Kazooie, Simon Belmont, etc.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
On that FZeroJP tweet, it’s apparently not an official Nintendo Handle which was based on the allegedly legit Mario 35th Anniversary Twitter Handle.
https://nintendoeverything.com/f-ze...o-be-tied-to-nintendo-debunked-as-unofficial/
There is always the previous F-Zero installments that still exists, Captain Falcon is still in Smash, the F-Zero track and Mii Costume in Mario Kart 8. Maybe if we’re lucky, with enough fan demand Nintendo could finally make a new F-Zero game or at least add a new F-Zero Fighter like Black Shadow in Smash. It seem to have worked for the Super Smash Bros Ultimate Newcomers such as Ridley, King K. Rool, Banjo & Kazooie, Simon Belmont, etc.
I’ll even settle for F-Zero GX HD with online play. Been wanting that to be a thing ever since the Wii U with Wind Waker HD

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
As sad as it is to say, I feel like F-Zero will never get another rep. I would like Black Shadow, Samurai Goroh or Blood Falcon in the roster but I kind of think a 2nd F-Zero rep is never going to happen because of the franchise being in purgatory for so long. It looks like Captain Falcon and Yoshi are the only characters from Smash 64 that will never have company in the roster.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
As sad as it is to say, I feel like F-Zero will never get another rep. I would like Black Shadow, Samurai Goroh or Blood Falcon in the roster but I kind of think a 2nd F-Zero rep is never going to happen because of the franchise being in purgatory for so long. It looks like Captain Falcon and Yoshi are the only characters from Smash 64 that will never have company in the roster.
I think Yoshi still has a shot, seeing how much they've been giving attention to Poochy as of late. Especially since it's becoming obvious that they're nearly running out of major Mario characters in the main series, so they'll probably go elsewhere.

At this stage, the thing is that no one has settled on a single F-Zero character to back behind ala :ultdk: series, even when the series was still active, so that isn't helping matters. If nothing else, the captain's seniority ensures that he'll always get other kind of content (stages, songs, etc).

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So they’re rating the concept of a second F-Zero playable character in Rate Their Chances rn

also is it weird that after Sephiroth got confirmed i want black shadow more than ever even though that has a really slim chance of happening?

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
You may add me to the list, since I generally support the major F-Zero characters, F-Zero could use more characters, he is Captain Falcon's nemesis, and he could offer some interesting variants on Captain Falcon's moveset. I see him as a stronger, but slower version of Falcon. If Ganondorf loses all semblance to Captain Falcon in the future, Black Shadow could inherit some elements from that moveset (Moves labelled as 'inherited' you may assume to be from Ganondorf's moveset). He could be a true grappler that integrates command grabs into a moveset that also features hard strikes, hindering moves, and rushing offense. Specials would be inherited, except for...

Neutral special ( Bond Cast ): After a brief animation, Black Shadow sends out a bright sphere, which travels forward at the speed of Samus' Charged Shot, has the size of an undamaged Lucario's fully-charged Aura Sphere, and upon making contact with an opponent (it ignores shields and rolls!), renders them immobile for a few seconds. During this time (the exciting part), Black Shadow can levitate and move the opponent slowly in any direction before they are released. The opponent may struggle to be released faster, but have no control over movement. By smash inputting any direction, the player can launch the opponent a fixed distance in that direction with minimal (4%) damage. However, if he launches them into a contact-detectable surface, the damage is significantly greater (13%). The inspiration for this move can be seen in a cutscene in F-Zero GX. Do note that Black Shadow is vulnerable while the sphere is out.

Jab: A slower version of Captain Falcon's jab. However, rather than ending in a flurry of strikes, Black Shadow reaches for the opponent to perform a suplex. Like most of his command grabs, it starts quickly, but the end lag for failure is highly punishable.

Ftilt: A snap kick to the side.

Dtilt: Inherited.

Utilt: It is, in a sense, inherited, but the animation is different, the range of attraction is extended, the delay is tens of frames longer, the end lag is several frames longer, and the attractive force is much greater, to the extent that the opponent would have an easier time escaping by moving toward Black Shadow . Black Shadow now raises his arm with a closed fist, and points his fist to the ground at the time of the explosion.

Dash attack: Inherited.

Grab/Pummel/Throw: Inherited.

Fsmash: Inherits elbow.

Usmash: In a sense, this is inherited as the upwards kick, but with an extension. By tapping A during execution, the player causes Black Shadow to hold the opponent on his heel before slamming them into the ground with the 'darkness' effect. However, committing to this results in greater end lag for failure.

Dsmash: The kicking animation is inherited, but connecting the first strike guarantees that the second will also connect.

Aerials are visually inherited, excepting Fair and Nair, but with an extension. Holding any aerial attack, save Fair and Nair, causes Black Bull to use one of three grab animations, but all grabs result in dragging the opponent downward, culminating in a slamming attack.
As usual, the end lag for attempting and failing this is much extended.

Fair: He borrows Captain Falcon's knee, but it has the 'darkness' effect, is not as strong, and is not as difficult to 'sweetspot.'

Final Smash (Black Bull): Black Shadow levitates, crossing his arms, and Black Bull passes underneath him, speeding straight ahead of him. It can strike an opponent heavily with the 'darkness' effect, causing extensive (45%) damage, and launching them.

Top Bottom