• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Melee Player Locator Project

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
Yo Okami, you should make a Google docs form for this. you can require all the necessary info you want and you'll have a nice spreadsheet that can be converted to other formats.
Currently the way I have it right now is that I've got all the "thread data" in an excel spreadsheet on my computer. I then use that to put it into the main website engine to get the map.

I've also got 30 or so regional maps which are google maps (a.k.a. anyone can edit them) so that individual players can edit their location onto those. Eventually I'll pull data from all of those to put into the main document. These regional maps have been sent to the admin of the Facebook groups on the Melee Discussion Facebook thread page (plus a couple of communities not on that thread such as New Mexico and Arizona).

The problem with having a main google doc that everyone can edit is that all it would take is one single person to mess up and delete all the data. With the regional maps, A. it gets done faster, B. if someone does mess with a map...well, oh well, it was only one region and there's still 29/30 of the data intact, and C. regional leaders can encourage their regions to fill out the maps rather than just a couple of us trying to pester everyone.

In addition, google maps allows it to stay free and not cost money to host a site that can be used to input/compile data.

Edit: Though of course, I welcome data influx from the thread at any time. It's especially important for people who live in the middle of nowhere to post here since they may not have a Facebook group to call home.

randomguy737

Smash Rookie
You can make only a form and not have the actual spreadsheet editable (or locked to certain people). Like Scar did for the Evo drive.

You won't have to host it either, you can just give a link to the form.

Upke

Smash Journeyman
one individual will want to be identified for two different locations (during school vs. break)
This is very true for me.

I guess for the meantime, I'll write in both locations, and you can use your discretion. Then when we have a better way of going about this, both locations can be utilized, or I can edit my post to reflect the decided upon one.

Savannah, GA (USA) / Cary, NC (USA)

And I liked Bones' idea on how to neatly acquire information, so I'll also fill out his example form for the possible scenario that you decide to use it.

ID#: 000002 (subject to change)
*Nickname: Upke
Actual Name: Orange
Email:
SmashBoards: Upke
FaceBook:
Twitter:
Phone:
*Games: 64 [_] -- Melee [X] -- Brawl [_] -- Project M [X] -- Other [_]: __________
Times of the year available (if not always): Sept. 16 to May 30
Active: Yes (last confirmed 2/26/13)

ID#: 000002 (subject to change)
*Nickname: Upke
Actual Name: Orange
Email:
SmashBoards: Upke
FaceBook:
Twitter:
Phone:
*Games: 64 [_] -- Melee [X] -- Brawl [_] -- Project M [X] -- Other [_]: __________
Times of the year available (if not always): June 3 to Sept. 9
Active: Yes (last confirmed 2/26/13)

I think this is a great idea and hope it all works out for you!

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Google Doc Form might be more secure, but you'd only be able to get the city and state from someone, unless everyone was willing to provide their actual full address (unlikely). The Google Maps consolidation method is much cooler because you can zoom in almost indefinitely to see where the most Smasher population-dense regions are down to street-level, and I'd also argue that the Google Maps method is far better at encouraging locals to participate in this project because they can already see where other people have put their placemarks.

ThaJakester

Valatunda! Valatunda!
NNID
ThaJakester
Gilmer, TX (USA)
That's where I actually live but I attend Longview schools(Longview is a far larger town directly beside Gilmer), hangout with Longview friends, and spend most of my time there when I am not at home, lol.

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
Map is up to date, list is not.

@Bubbaking - You're all set for the time being unless you want to provide a different way for people to contact you when they click on your dot on the map. (Such as Facebook or something) You can also get the people you smash with to post here or on the google maps on the MD/VA Facebook group.

Diglob

Smash Cadet
GlibbyGlobby

Houston/Galveston, Texas (U.S.A.)

I live in Galveston during the school year but come up to Houston quite regularly. >.>

Subrava

Smash Cadet
Subrava
Duluth, MN 55812 (school)
Apple Valley, MN 55124 (home)

Where you at MN smashers :shyguy:

Top Bottom