• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mega Master: ScAtt

This man certainly knows his super fighting robots. Andrew "ScAtt" Huntley has been making waves at Smash 4 tournaments using a character not as commonly seen in the meta game: Mega Man. He may be the best Mega Man in the world at this point having taken sets off of Wizzrobe, Mew2King, StaticManny, Acid, MVD and more. His latest big showing was at Tipped Off 11 where he was able to secure 4th place. We decided to hunt down this Mega Master and learn a bit more about him and his main.

---​

SmashCapps: Thanks again for the interview man!

ScAtt: Not a problem at all dude!

SmashCapps: Alright! First big question: When did you start playing Smash, and with what game?

ScAtt: I've been playing Smash since I was a kid. Maybe I was 5 or 6 when I first started playing with Smash 64.

SmashCapps: So is Smash 4 the first game you took seriously in a competitive sense?

ScAtt: I have actually been playing competitively since Brawl back in late 2008; I wasn't actually allowed to travel much since my mom wasn't big on me staying out late to play a video game that I was "obsessed" with while also meeting people she didn't know lol. Granted, I was 13 years old at the time so I know that she just wanted me to be safe. Most of my Brawl career was spent playing at tournaments in and around Georgia.

SmashCapps: Did you ever have any big moments in Brawl like tournament wins? Also, who was your Brawl main?

ScAtt: I had a few tournament wins in locals but nothing really that notable outside of occasionally beating other well known Georgia players like Reflex, Kismet, and BIglou. Outside of this, I had a really close set with MVD back in the day. I primarily played Snake throughout my career while having Luigi and Olimar as my secondaries.

ScAtt vs MVD at BBC 1 Where ScAtt Placed 9th

SmashCapps: I gotta ask, how did you come up with the tag ScAtt?

ScAtt: I'll go ahead and get the elephant in the room out of the way; my tag is meant to pay homage to Scatman John. I loved listening to his music back then and I happened to be doing a project in middle school on him, so I just said why not?

SmashCapps: So you went from Snake, a character really interesting with projectiles and tricks, to Mega Man who has a lot of the same. What was it that that drew you towards Mega Man?

ScAtt: Going from Snake to Mega Man was pure coincidence lol. Mega Man X was (and probably still is) my favorite video game series of all outside of Smash. Obviously, X wasn't really an option to play at that point so the next best thing was Mega Man. Of course I love Mega Man games too but the X series still has my heart. However, If Snake was to make an appearance again I definitely would not be opposed to playing him again too.

SmashCapps: It's awesome to see someone playing a character for the love! So what is it like playing a character not so commonly seen? Some consider you the best Mega Man around and look up to you as a "hero" of the character. How does that feel?
https://twitter.com/ScAttMM
ScAtt: It's feels pretty surreal honestly; I did want to be the best Mega Man at some point during the 3DS release for sure, but that goal sort of feel out in favor of just having fun exploring the character and the game at the time. I didn't expect so much exposure so suddenly, but I definitely feel humbled to have the support that I do have from my fans, family, and friends. It feels as if I don't really deserve the title, but I am quite thankful for it.

SmashCapps: Do you think Mega Man is 'viable' in Smash 4? What are his best and worst matchups among the 'top tier' or generally seen tournament threats?

ScAtt: I definitely do think that he has his place in the meta. In my opinion he is a very viable character. He does not hard counter anyone in the top tier although I do think that he has winning match-ups against Sonic, Ness, Ryu, and Diddy. Mega Man has even match-ups against Rosalina and Meta Knight. However, he does have disadvantaged match-ups in Fox and Mario. His absolute worst match-up is Sheik which holds him back pretty heavily. I honestly do feel as if Mega Man does not have many losing match-ups. However, having the most commonly seen characters in the game as losing match-ups doesn't exactly help his viability

SmashCapps: Do you think Mega Man has the potential to get better in these matchups in time with undiscovered tech or something similar?
https://twitter.com/ScAttMM
ScAtt: I do. Mega Man does have problems with taking stocks, but Super Glide Tossing Metal Blade forwards consistently leads into a plethora of his kill options. Unfortunately, it's really hard to do consistently since the inputs are VERY precise. Even recently, I've found ways to optimize Mega Man's edgeguarding a bit to alleviate a few of those match-ups (namely Mario and Fox). Sheik on the other hand is something I've yet to figure out how to deal with.

ScAtt Beating Mew2King 2-0 At Smash N' Splash

SmashCapps: What's the next big event we might see you at?

ScAtt: I don't have any solid plans to go anywhere as of now, but I am definitely interested in heading out to Genesis 3 if I come up with the money and transportation to!

SmashCapps: Do you have any Smash players you'd consider a big rival? Any role models?

ScAtt: Fatality, Reflex, and Neos (currently ranked 4th on the Georgia PR) are definitely rivals who keep me in check at tourneys. I'd say that my biggest role model is probably Ally since I've been astonished with his play since Brawl on top of him being a cool guy in general! Oh, and Zero too of course! Being as good as he is at Smash 4 while being a genuinely good dude is something I aspire to be.

SmashCapps: So a few smaller non-smash things for the readers and I'll set you free! You mentioned you love the Mega Man games, what other games are you playing outside of Smash?

ScAtt: I haven't actually finished any games recently since Smash and college take up the majority of my time now, but I absolutely LOVE Kingdom Hearts, the Mario & Luigi series, and an assortment MMORPGs (Fiesta, Rumble Fighter, Dragon's Nest). The list goes on, but anything Nintendo related is most likely something that I have or will play!

SmashCapps: You mention college, what are you studying?

ScAtt: Computer Engineering Technology!

SmashCapps: That's interesting! What got you wanting to study it?

ScAtt: A certain blue robot! It's fun being able to imagine building something virtually while being able to see it perform actions in reality.

ScAtt: Any big tips for any Mega mains out there trying to find success? Any tips for anyone out there trying to get good at Smash or anything else?

ScAtt: Stage control is key with Mega Man; if you don't get it back, you will struggle. If you want to be good at anything, don't be afraid to aim a little higher! It's okay to aim for first and nothing less; it's possible as long as you want it bad enough!

SmashCapps: Any last things you want to tell the world while you've got the chance?

ScAtt: Shoutouts to the Georgia smash community who made me into the player I am now as well as neos and his sisters who've been my support since I was 6! I don't consider myself a great mega man yet; look forward to seeing a bigger and better mega man from me soon!

---​

A man who's Smash main inspired his college career, has inspired players throughout the world, and keeps striving to do more ScAtt was an extreme pleasure to interview. To keep up with his current adventures be sure to follow him on Twitter. A special shoutout to @Crilixz for making the banner used in this article. Have ideas for players to be interviewed? Let us know in the comments below and stay tuned to Smashboards for future articles!

Comments

As a fellow Ga Mega Man main, I love to see Scatt getting the recognition he deserves. I would, however, like to see some more footage of the man in action. I haven't found much on YouTube but I also haven't done a lot of digging.

Anyone know where I can find some good videos of Scatt doing work with Mega Man?

I wanna be a good Mega Man but he's really hard to play as. His jump has hardly any jumpsquat frames meaning it is really hard to shorthop with him. It will be easier once a get a GameCube Controller and emigrate from this ****ty Wii Remote.

I wanna be a good Mega Man but he's really hard to play as. His jump has hardly any jumpsquat frames meaning it is really hard to shorthop with him. It will be easier once a get a GameCube Controller and emigrate from this ****ty Wii Remote.
It's worth noting that ScAtt uses the Wiimote + Nunchuck controller setup.

I've fought this guy before, and he is the real deal. Somehow ScAtt can take a character that has projectiles for almost every attack and completely demolish reflector characters like they're nothing. The most "even" set I had against him was shortly after I switched mains to Link, and even then I was only just barely holding ground.

I remember when we first met in Elementary School. So glad we met and are best friends! Keep it up Drew you make me proud!

Not to take away from scatts win but
1) m2k was playing rosa bad
2) he didn't mix up his recovery well
3) m2k was rolling a lot

m2k is great at Melee not so much sm4sh. He has other complications as well. Anyway congrats on the win, scatt

Top Bottom