• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Maze Lounge: Pacman Social Thread

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlItMpGYQTo :shades:

Bigger is better in my book. Well, if it's muscle anyway. I'm picky, but it's not hard to take care of yourself imo. Heck, just by doing some pushups and sit-ups every other night + playing DDR on expert + (no lie) I look like I lift and exercise regularly.

Well I am talking about belly fat. Not the size of her butt. I have no problems with big butts, I'm not picky about that.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlItMpGYQTo :shades:

Bigger is better in my book. Well, if it's muscle anyway. I'm picky, but it's not hard to take care of yourself imo. Heck, just by doing some pushups and sit-ups every other night + playing DDR on expert + (no lie) I look like I lift and exercise regularly.
Essentially, my life story lmao. I love me some curves.

For exercise, I just hit the iron gym and do some chin ups with my legs forward. Hits the abs, chest, and arms. I go outside and play with my Pit bull for cardio lol. She has limitless energy.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Nu~ Nu~ I noticed you are maining Robin. How's that working out?
It's going well.

Something I never mentioned was that I used to main Pac-Man, mega man, and robin. Eventually dropped all three, but you helped me get back into robin.

At first I was skeptical of his aggro capabilities, then I saw Nairo playing his famous Robin on stream again...
I was inspired lol. Now I'm making up strategies and fancy combos for the tactician.

Last edited:

Splebel

Smash Journeyman
It's going well.

Something I never mentioned was that I used to main Pac-Man, mega man, and robin. Eventually dropped all three, but you helped me get back into robin.

At first I was skeptical of his aggro capabilities, then I saw Nairo playing his famous Robin on stream again...
I was inspired lol. Now I'm making up strategies and fancy combos for the tactician.
Glad I could help.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
For some reason my toon link sucks on the Wii u. He is still effective on the 3ds but I fall to pieces against strong opponents using the Wii u controller.

Sinji Sinji how long did it take before you felt fully comfortable using the Wii u controller?

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
On second thought...I'm not sure about Robin anymore...

Why is he so damn slow? I have to play even more defensive to get him to work since his overal mobility and frame data is below average...

Feels like I'm playing a less fancy link

Last edited:

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
For some reason my toon link sucks on the Wii u. He is still effective on the 3ds but I fall to pieces against strong opponents using the Wii u controller.

Sinji Sinji how long did it take before you felt fully comfortable using the Wii u controller?
It took me about 3 weeks to get used to the gamecube controller.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100

Why is he so damn slow? I have to play even more defensive to get him to work since his overal mobility and frame data is below average...

Same reason I dropped Robin.

BSP

Smash Legend

If you really hate defense that much, you should give Mario a try. His entire game plan is to just get in there and beat people up.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
If you really hate defense that much, you should give Mario a try. His entire game plan is to just get in there and beat people up.
I don't hate defense, I just don't like a game plan focused around "set up wall and maintain it"

I guess you can say I'm more of a guerrilla player. Hit and run with trickery/creative tactics.

I'll try greninja.

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
You should save yourself the trouble and at least get a top tier secondary if you care about winning in the slightest.

If you're as guerrilla as you say, Sonic or Falcon would be perfect for you. Wtih Sonic, you're the fastest character on the ground in most circumstances, but you generally have to use your speed to dance around the superior hitboxes of most other characters. Falcon is similar with a little less speed, worse disadvantage, but better combo potential and air game.

They have creativity if you count dash dancing tricks, or trying to style on people as hard as possible.

Splebel

Smash Journeyman
I don't hate defense, I just don't like a game plan focused around "set up wall and maintain it"

I guess you can say I'm more of a guerrilla player. Hit and run with trickery/creative tactics.

I'll try greninja.
I heard Pikachu was hit and run. He also tends to do well getting in on zoners.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I mean, Greninja is a pretty solid high tier. He even fits my criteria that I finally decided to write out today:

-Great mobility all around
-Flashy combos
-Depth and versatility
-Disjoints
-At least ok Frame data
-Great spacing tools
-Aggressive capabilities with an ability to retreat
-Room for creativity

I know I have to worry about sheik, but who beats her anyways.

I don't like sonic's design overall and falcon's disadvantage + lack of projectiles is what keeps me away.

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
Maybe I should do that. Write out what I want in a character...let's see

-at least average mobility, but preferably above average. There hasn't been a slow top tier in smash yet for a good reason.
-reliable grab (tbh, how i gravitated to pac-man, i can't explain)
-good gtfo moves because i (and everyone) will make mistakes from time to time
-good boxing game, because in general you will be in the opponent's face a lot
-moves that are favorable to throw out with the intention of trading/attacking over dodging, or moves that have good value off of hard reads (ie meteors)
-if i lose with the character, i feel like it's my fault and not that i'm being held back in some way
-i can use the character in teams without changing my strategy much (nope, still don't believe in the doubles Pac)

Viewing Pac-Man as an exception, it's no surprise that Mario is my second most used character, then Falcon follows. Mario is straightforward with no big tricks or anything, except the hidden depth that's in FLUDD. I know exactly what I need to do when I'm playing with him, and he doesn't have any glaring weaknesses that hold him back significantly. He has his smashes and fair for when i want to be aggressive/ go for hard reads; good combo breaker Nair and up B; great grab game; everything i want in a character, honestly. Sometimes I get annoyed when people wall me out as him, but that's probably on me: he has a projectile and a good zone breaker in FLUDD. I think he's a good character and top 10 at least.

Falcon has awful gtfo potential and disadvantage, but I like his mobility and clutch factor (combos, knee, meteor) enough that I bear with it. I can be down the entire match but make 3 critical reads and win just like that. With his mobility and raw power, it's not hard to condition or scare people into mistakes either. He does get pooped on by sheik, so i doubt he'd ever become my primary character. Also, a lot of people don't realize how valuable being fast on the ground is when you're feeling pressured. A large majority of characters in this game can't punish Sonic/Falcon/Mac/Fox etc. with something lethal for running away when they feel like they're under pressure, and they're fast enough to turn right back around and punish you for attempting to do so. Running away > rolling IMO because you have so many more options, assuming you're a fast character.

I'd probably get by fine in this game with a combination of Mario, Luigi, and Falcon. Luigi is slow as balls, but I think he beats MK, and MK seriously annoys me as a character.

Last edited:

Splebel

Smash Journeyman
I mean, Greninja is a pretty solid high tier. He even fits my criteria that I finally decided to write out today:

-Great mobility all around
-Flashy combos
-Depth and versatility
-Disjoints
-At least ok Frame data
-Great spacing tools
-Aggressive capabilities with an ability to retreat
-Room for creativity

I know I have to worry about sheik, but who beats her anyways.

I don't like sonic's design overall and falcon's disadvantage + lack of projectiles is what keeps me away.
This sounds like Yoshi, although I don't think Yoshi has any disjoints. Also Yoshi isn't that flashy.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Having a character be flashy as criteria for maining them is a terrible way to look at the game anyways

BSP

Smash Legend
Having a character be flashy as criteria for maining them is a terrible way to look at the game anyways
Sometimes a stylish victory is more important than a quick one.

....not really, but I do definitely try to style when I get the chance.

edit: also, to each his own. We all play this game for different reasons.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I like to have fun man ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Winning is important, but as an artist, I love to show my creative mark in my game play. Individuality is a huge part of my personality and by extension, overall enjoyment of the game.

Which is why characters that revolve around pure fundamentals or camping bore me.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Y'all are gonna hate me.

I think...
I'm falling for pacman again.
I'm watching my old videos, and wondering why I stopped.

I love using him. The traps, set ups, combos, item art...

I'm never gonna leave this place am I lol

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
in any case it's the wrong place for this. It should be discussed in the Pac man fan club thread

BSP

Smash Legend
Sigh, MLG deciding that VODs of players in the first day of MLG finals aren't important enough to upload. FML. I wanted to wach my match with Nairo so badly, but I can't even though I know the thing was recorded.

In other news, I'm sick. I rarely get sick, so it sucks when I do. I'm guessing I got something from someone through contact and wasn't diligent enough to wash my hands right after.

Splebel

Smash Journeyman
In other news, I'm sick. I rarely get sick, so it sucks when I do. I'm guessing I got something from someone through contact and wasn't diligent enough to wash my hands right after.
Sorry man, that was me. I didn't wash my hands before posting. My bad.

Last edited:

AGES

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Snicks
I don't get sick often either, but pretty much everyone I associate with on a daily basis has something like an ear infection or stomach flu so I'm gonna have to be careful the next few days lol. Guess sudden snow makes everyone in Chicago feel sick somehow.

K~G|Spacejam

Best data miner in Geelong. (Screw you KH)
So I should probably say Hi at some point.

I'm an Australian Pac-Man/Bowser main. I've yet to enter any majors, since they have all been interstate, nor do I enter the monthly ranking battles.

I do however enter the local smash weekly and usually place fairly high. The local scene is actually pretty hilarious, we have 4 people from the local area and usually 10-14 people travelling 1-2 hours to play. Among those players travelling we usually have 4 of the states PR players and many candidates for the next PR.

I've played Pac since I've started playing this game. I feel like i'm reaching a point where I can almost beat the PR players. I plan on entering a semi-major in January next year and I hope I can expose everyone who doesn't have and Pac experience.

If you want to ask any questions I can try to answer them but in the meantime I'll try to work on becoming Australia's best Pac-Main.

Splebel

Smash Journeyman
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone of you in America. Also to anyone not in America feeling left out.

BSP

Smash Legend
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

I didn't go anywhere since my head still feels off, but I should be feeling better in the next few days. I'm not too bummed though.

So I figured out something about myself. I was wondering why I gravitated towards Pac-Man in SSB4, but I think I'm getting some insight after playing MTG some. Blue is my favorite color in that game because I think drawing cards is the strongest thing you can do in the game. Although I prefer it for the card advantage, blue is notorious for its controlling aspects such as countering other people's spells, returning their permanents back to hand, theft, and whatnot. Pac-Man does this somewhat in smash, controlling people. Blue in MTG also believes that any problem can be solved given enough time (draw more cards), and Pac-Man in the same way once he gets the proper fruit in hand. Interesting.

Last edited:

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
So I am taking a prolonged break from this game.

The reason for this is I have gotten to the point now where I can reliably beat everyone except those on my regions PR. Which is pretty much how it was at my local back in Jersey. I got absolutely embarrassed by Maars at my last tournament, which is not so bad in and of itself if I felt like I was actually learning from my losses. Before the tournament someone asked online how to beat ZSS and I mentioned DI her uairs into her to avoid her uair combos but against Maars I DI'd away getting ladder comboed as I don't have experience in the matchup. In addition the day before I was playing the number one player on the Ladder(Twi, Peach) and I was winning. Then just yesterday I played another Peach player and I kept trying utilt my hydrant to stop her fair pressure instead of jab breaking the hydrant like I know should, or for kills I was trying to hit her with the bell out of her float(which she can drift back to avoid) instated of jump throwing the key like I was doing against Twi. Pacman is such a strategy dependent character I feel like I'll never accomplish anything with him unless I play this game Infiltration style and create a notebook on my phone compiled with notes I have on what to do against each character and read it before every match, which I just don't have the energy to do right now. Instead I'll focus on my getting my life together(like getting a job, or a computer to apply for jobs on).

So I won't be attending tournaments or playing ranked matches online. I'll still be online though since I the only social contact I get anymore is talking to people in cyber space lol.

Last edited:

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Funny you say that, because I've recently rethought Pac-Man's gameplan. It's actually a lot more simple overall than one might think.
The strategies in each individual matchup isn't complex but I feel more so than any other character Pacman changes his gameplan based on each matchup, and remembering all the different strategies is a pain. It is creating more stress for a game that was supposed to be a relaxing outlet. I'm not willing to commit to this right now.

BSP

Smash Legend
So I am taking a prolonged break from this game.

The reason for this is I have gotten to the point now where I can reliably beat everyone except those on my regions PR. Which is pretty much how it was at my local back in Jersey. I got absolutely embarrassed by Maars at my last tournament, which is not so bad in and of itself if I felt like I was actually learning from my losses. Before the tournament someone asked online how to beat ZSS and I mentioned DI her uairs into her to avoid her uair combos but against Maars I DI'd away getting ladder comboed as I don't have experience in the matchup. In addition the day before I was playing the number one player on the Ladder(Twi, Peach) and I was winning. Then just yesterday I played another Peach player and I kept trying utilt my hydrant to stop her fair pressure instead of jab breaking the hydrant like I know should, or for kills I was trying to hit her with the bell out of her float(which she can drift back to avoid) instated of jump throwing the key like I was doing against Twi. Pacman is such a strategy dependent character I feel like I'll never accomplish anything with him unless I play this game Infiltration style and create a notebook on my phone compiled with notes I have on what to do against each character and read it before every match, which I just don't have the energy to do right now. Instead I'll focus on my getting my life together(like getting a job, or a computer to apply for jobs on).

So I won't be attending tournaments or playing ranked matches online. I'll still be online though since I the only social contact I get anymore is talking to people in cyber space lol.
Bro, any Pac-Man player worth his salt will have my hydrant water thread bookmarked.

...along with the thread that contains every projectile grounded pellets block...

There is a ton of stuff to remember with this character.

PEPESPAIN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPESPAIN
3DS FC
1306-8476-2667
When I play a tournament match I have a Notebook where I read everything important before the match like % where fair to key works as combo, general strategy and important notes about the MU, Super armor attacks etc.... It worked wonderful on the last tournament.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
When I play a tournament match I have a Notebook where I read everything important before the match like % where fair to key works as combo, general strategy and important notes about the MU, Super armor attacks etc.... It worked wonderful on the last tournament.
I'd recommend everyone follow Pepespain's example. It will stop you from thinking "I would have won had I been doing A instead of B" after every tournament.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Any chance anyone knows how to save a web page in an html file that links back to the html instead of a copy created on the local drive?

Nevermind, figured out how to do it.

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
So back in the days when I did band, I always got mad that the higher instruments like trumpet, flute, clarinet, saxophone, etc. got to play melodies in songs while the low brass players like myself got stuck with playing chords for them. I almost considered quitting the band because of it. I did not enjoy watching my friends play the actual music while I held (high, annoying to play...) chords for them. Once in a blue moon, low brass did get important, fun parts. However, these times were usually limited to marches, which were awesome.

Would you guy call me selfish for the way I felt?

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
So back in the days when I did band, I always got mad that the higher instruments like trumpet, flute, clarinet, saxophone, etc. got to play melodies in songs while the low brass players like myself got stuck with playing chords for them. I almost considered quitting the band because of it. I did not enjoy watching my friends play the actual music while I held (high, annoying to play...) chords for them. Once in a blue moon, low brass did get important, fun parts. However, these times were usually limited to marches, which were awesome.

I don't feel that you were selfish at all. Sure, the chords are an important part, but I can understand why you would want a more prominent role. It's much more exciting

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100

You joined a group which in someways you did not feel a part of. That's a very normal feeling I think.

Top Bottom