• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The mayor of smashville: Villager discussion

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Do you guys think his new jab finisher is a buff or nerf? I kinda like the way it worked in 4 where it just keeps pummeling and pummeling and wears down your shield surprisingly quickly. At least, that's what I remembered in Ranai vs Zero's first set together.
definitely a buff, it can be really unsafe at times in smash 4 because of its lack of a finisher
its also much better for damage too

Last edited:

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
Heyo, here's some Smash 5 Villy gameplay if anyone hasn't seen it.
It's uh, far from perfect, but maybe we can glean a few things? I think Dair autocancles, or maybe that's just the low landing lag taking effect.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Heyo, here's some Smash 5 Villy gameplay if anyone hasn't seen it.
It's uh, far from perfect, but maybe we can glean a few things? I think Dair autocancles, or maybe that's just the low landing lag taking effect.
Why do you curse our eyes with this mess

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
Any one else kinda wished they used the new leaf desgins for the villager?; not much of a fan of the city folk desgins.

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
They really should have. The old design looks too squished now that I've grown fond of the new look, and the new look also has better alt potential.
I always kinda thought that all the alt's for the villager were really bad. They even could've went for the ones they used in Mario Kart, I thought the female design would've made for a really good fit as the default look.

Luminario

Smash Lord
I always kinda thought that all the alt's for the villager were really bad. They even could've went for the ones they used in Mario Kart, I thought the female design would've made for a really good fit as the default look.
I'm guessing they just really didn't wanna redo the animations for the taller proportions. It's a shame, one of the main reasons I don't really play Villager all that much is due to how I only like 1 of the alts. Here's hoping we at least get good DLC alts for them, especially since there's just so many options.

circuspig

Day Negative 92 Simon Main
i think villy will be decent, kind of bummed about the jabs but all dair turnips spike now which is neat

Admiral Bobbery

Smash Rookie
Jeez, I wish this villager thread was a bit more active. It's kinda sad to see it like this??

also, may i ask why the icon is all grayed out??
This thread will be way more active on release. They didn't give us much and it's a returning character who's struggling in 4's meta. Villy's come back will be SOON.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
I'll still give him a chance. I believe!
If you can somehow turn nair doing less damage and the fact that almost every other character is being given amazing buffs when villager is just being given cherry picked garbage and flat out nerfs, into a hope he'll be high tier, then be my guest cause its not happening

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Remember what I said about villager being low tier in ultimate?
Hopefully you nonbelievers actually see clearly now
Did they really nerf Villager? They were pretty above average in the previous installments tier list, I hope it isn't too bad but I I'll still use Villager regardless.

Tensations

Smash Rookie
Cant wait to play the boy in Ultimate, hopefully he will fare better against the DLC character and rise a bit in the tiers.

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
Have you people not been reading what I have been saying ECH
Yeah, but still hoping for top tier isn't out of the question because everything we've seen has been from a demo and not the complete game and is subject to change, while he may be nerfed now, the final game may differ.

Last edited:

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Yeah, but still hoping for top tier isn't out of the question because everything we've seen has been from a demo and not the complete game and is subject to change, while he may be nerfed now, the final game may differ.
He's already a complete character they aren't going to change him now
And if he's anywhere even near high tier, then I'll go print out this message, put it in a blender, add a little water and drink it all,, in fact I'll drink this entire thread. I'll film it and put it on youtube for the entirety of the villager mains to see. Simply because K love this character that much that I'd go this far just to see him even borderline high tier. Hell just flat out DM me when the tier lists are released if he's high tier, I'll do it right then and there. Mark my bloody words I will do this.

Last edited:

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
He's already a complete character they aren't going to change him now
I am referring in terms of balancing, was that not what you where referring to?
Sakurai stated he was gonna watch the invitational for balancing purposes, so they could buff him when the game releases as far as we know.

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
You think I'm bluffing
I'm not
Well we will see haha, but to completely disregard something from happening?, listen I'm not saying he will be top tier, I'm just coming from the perspective of this being a incomplete game as of now, I bet every character most likely will be changed even a little bit by release in terms of balancing, so you never know.

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
I bet every character most likely will be changed even a little bit by release in terms of balancing, so you never know.

If we're going off of what we've seen, Villager is probably going to need a full on rework to not be gutter trash tier. He was good in 4, then got invalidated by DLC, now DLC is only slightly worse and Villager got the nerfs they should have gotten. The change to his Up B is absolutely huge and makes our matchup against characters with good edge game even worse, ESPECIALLY Marth who already beat us.
Villager has been on a downward slope since after Bayo and Cloud dropped, with the fact that he still has all his terrible attributes from 4 (horrible run speed, horrible grab, susceptible to rushdown and swordies) and no substantial buffs to compensate, Villager is going to start out on the wrong foot in Ultimate and likely just get worse as time goes on.

It's really depressing to see my main of 4 years get dumpstered by DLC, then get dumpstered by Sakurai while Marth is just as good if not better and Cloud and Corrin got slaps to the wrist. If he's as bad as he looks when the game drops I'm seriously gonna have to stop playing him seriously and that is so sad.

Penroze

The Surreal Deal
Switch FC
SW-7239-4479-0495
Honestly, even if Villager is super nerfed and irredeemably awful and Z- tier, I'll still play him. I never will not play Villager. Never ever forever.

Also, I really dislike the New Leaf Villager design. Like, a lot. Too tall. Bleugh. Glad they kept the OG design.

Top Bottom