• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The mayor of smashville: Villager discussion

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
ok so heres a thread for discussing the villager in smash 5 so you know changes youd like and what you think the chanves of returning etc

personally id like to see their look updated to match the more recent look in, new leaf, happy home designer, amiibo festival and pocket camp

er anyone know of smaller versions of those images i can use

Last edited:

Laniv

Smash Lord
Little fella was my main in Smash 4, you bet I'm hoping to see them return!

Luminario

Smash Lord
Here's some smaller images for ya~

Just quote me then click them for the links.
There are 2 things I want from Villager in the next Smash: the gorgeous girl Villager New Leaf design right here, and an umbrella twirl up tilt that was one of the few animations they could have pulled directly from the game. Like, why is it forward tilt? where did this stick come from? how do you miss such an easy attack to rip from the game? I guess we'll never know.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Here's some smaller images for ya~

Just quote me then click them for the links.
There are 2 things I want from Villager in the next Smash: the gorgeous girl Villager New Leaf design right here, and an umbrella twirl up tilt that was one of the few animations they could have pulled directly from the game. Like, why is it forward tilt? where did this stick come from? how do you miss such an easy attack to rip from the game? I guess we'll never know.
thank you, very helpful

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
GIve me more cute evil faces for this little love of mine ♥
Also give some skin color alts!

Zeox

Smash Champion
You know, it would be cool if you use the isabelle amiibo and you could unlock an isabelle skin for the villager.
And the same with the other animal crossing amiibos, being able to unlock alts, so instead of playing as the villager, you play as the animals.
And if the cards amiiibos works too, being able to pkay as your favorite neighbour would be awesome.
A man can dream... a man can dream...

Oddball

Smash Lord
personally id like to see their look updated to match the more recent look in, new leaf, happy home designer, amiibo festival and pocket camp
I'd prefer to see Villager keep his normal smash look and use those for alts.

Luminario

Smash Lord
I think they meant the body proportions of New Leaf onwards as opposed to the look itself. It's pretty likely we'll get the designs from Mario Kart as the new defaults, but the original designs could definitely work as alts.

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
I think Villager is very likely coming back. He’s currently the only rep of one of Nintendo’s most popular series, and he’s generally well-liked by players!

Regarding appearance changes - I’m not sure if I’d prefer the taller characters from New Leaf. They’re the most recent version, but the shorter ones are used in the first three games, whereas the tall ones are still only in one. It wouldn’t bother me if they changed them, but I think I’d prefer if they stayed shorter - Smash is the only game in recent years where they use the short Villagers! I’d love to see them add all of the faces and outfits added in New Leaf, though.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I will say this, the Villager needs the New Leaf look.

Though that would sadly make them a bigger target in battle.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think they meant the body proportions of New Leaf onwards as opposed to the look itself. It's pretty likely we'll get the designs from Mario Kart as the new defaults, but the original designs could definitely work as alts.
thats exactly what i meant, the taller look they made for introduction of trousers

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
I think Villager should get slightly taller proportions and have his appearance from Mario Kart 8 as the default

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I expect to see his ^B changed. The Balloons have very little to do with the actual gameplay of Animal Crossing- in fact they have almost nothing to do with what the balloons do in AC.

The move is more of a cute nod to Balloon Fighter, and now that Iwata has passed, I actually count Balloon Fighter among the most likely of character inclusions.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
It seems the possibility of updating veterans is the one thing that's worrying me the most about this Smash. First BotW Link, now New Leaf Villager. Villager's current proportions are best left as is. It's how the character started out, and it's how I feel he should stay.

Last edited:

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21

Here are some Villager official Artwork from New Leaf. I love the first one and the third

Luminario

Smash Lord

Here are some Villager official Artwork from New Leaf. I love the first one and the third
I really hope they go for this level of variety in Smash Switch. They could even go all out and add full matching outfits like the Zap costumes or the witch one. If Lip doesn't get in then I'll accept her through a Villager alt too.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Honestly, the Villager could be the whole cast of animal crossing characters.
You have an isabelle amiibo? you use it in the game and...

Bam! you unlock an isabelle alt. skin for the villager
You don't have an isabelle amiibo but you have an amiibo card of your favorite neighbour, Peanut? you use it in smash switch and...

bam! you unlock her as an alt skin for the villager.
That way you can have the whole cast of animal crossing characters.
And the reason why I said having them as unlockable amiibo skins instead of having them already by default is because that may be a little too chaotic, and because Nintendo would have an excuse to sell more animal crossing amiibo cards.
This is just a silly idea that I thought.

Last edited:

Nohbl

Smash Journeyman
They should put in a second villager with a different moveset---like having the slingshot work like it's supposed to (like an up smash that goes full screen); incorporating the fishing rod (could be a tether recovery, or a Scorpion-style command throw as a side special); taunts based of the emotion faces (like the shock face); or have Pocket work like Peach's Turnip Pull. All of that would be way more interesting than trying to hamfist Nook or Isabelle in, who have lack an established base of maneuvers to draw from like a Villager.

In fact, just make a classic Villager (appears pre-New Leaf) and a modern Villager (New Leaf and beyond) like Link and Young/Toon Link. That would satisfy me completely if they don't muck up the movesets.

And give them all golden tools for Christ's sake.

Last edited:

Nohbl

Smash Journeyman
I expect to see his ^B changed. The Balloons have very little to do with the actual gameplay of Animal Crossing- in fact they have almost nothing to do with what the balloons do in AC.
I disliked the irrelevance of the balloons, but real talk, I loved how "broken" they were. Villagers' godly recovery made them feel like Jigglypuff, except they rarely die.

why-not.jpg

I will say this, the Villager needs the New Leaf look.

Though that would sadly make them a bigger target in battle.
It seems the possibility of updating veterans is the one thing that's worrying me the most about this Smash. First BotW Link, now New Leaf Villager. Villager's current proportions are best left as is. It's how the character started out, and it's how I feel he should stay.
The BOTW update is no different from the Twilight Princess update.

However, I believe that the New Leaf proportions should be acknowledged. I think the best solution is two distinct Villagers: pre-New Leaf (classic), and New Leaf and beyond. I don't like the New Leaf look so I'd prefer having what I know and love available.

villager-cops-a-spot-in-sma5h.png

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
thank you sakurai for staying in the past with the villagers design while updating other characters

oh well

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
Hey at least his net can catch items now. Maybe we can net Diddy Kong's banana? I like the jab finisher too.

(It's better than nothing I guess)

Nohbl

Smash Journeyman
Pocket gauge was a great idea. Kudos for that.

Someone should post their reveal montage.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
thank you sakurai for staying in the past with the villagers design while updating other characters

oh well
I was hoping so badly for the improved New Leaf designs. The Villagers in Mario Kart 8 are SO cute. Oh well, at least they are back in Smash 4.5

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
I was hoping so badly for the improved New Leaf designs. The Villagers in Mario Kart 8 are SO cute. Oh well, at least they are back in Smash 4.5
This is not "Smash 4.5" - Bill Trinen confirmed the game was built from the ground up; furthermore Sakurai considers Smash 3DS and Wii U as Smash 4 and 5. This is Smash 6.

Reila

This is not "Smash 4.5" - Bill Trinen confirmed the game was built from the ground up; furthermore Sakurai considers Smash 3DS and Wii U as Smash 4 and 5. This is Smash 6.
They did not build a game this big in HD from the ground up in more or less 3 years. No one from Nintendo would say the game was built on top of Smash Wii U, even if it was, because that would be admitting this isn't entirely a brand new game.

But believe in whatever you want. Doesn't matter to me.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
They did not build a game this big in HD from the ground up in more or less 3 years. No one from Nintendo would say the game was built on top of Smash Wii U, even if it was, because that would be admitting this isn't entirely a brand new game.

But believe in whatever you want. Doesn't matter to me.
Yeah, the game's characters and stages are tweaked but the actual engine is completely unique.

Reila

As someone who works with games herself, I know one or two things. I also know game developers don't always tell the true when marketing their games. If the truth might compromise sales, you hide it.

But again, believe in unicorns, if you want.

Back to Villager, I would have loved a slightly faster grab animation.

kib_bles

Smash Rookie
ZeRo has some positive things to say about our boy from playing him in exhibition matches. Looks like the greater movespeed and reduced landing lag is going to make him really fun to play and hard to deal with.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Uh dudes....Look at this clip here
freegifmaker.me_2cjCj.gif

Look at how fast villager transitions from uair to dair and how fast dair autocancels
If you need the video to see it better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2reBwOl3w8
at around 1:39

His run speed also looks to be around as fast as luigi's run speed, which is a major improvement

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Considering how it seems Ranai might come back, I do wonder how well he will do at tourneys with an even better Villager.

farvin111

Smash Journeyman
Do you guys think his new jab finisher is a buff or nerf? I kinda like the way it worked in 4 where it just keeps pummeling and pummeling and wears down your shield surprisingly quickly. At least, that's what I remembered in Ranai vs Zero's first set together.

Top Bottom