• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mayor of New Donk City: Pauline for Smash Switch!

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
Part of me wants to see Pauline just to see if she would be classified as a Mario character or a DK character. years ago before Brawl, I was thinking of a moveset based on the items from the game. I do think there has been enough new content since then to create a more diverse moveset for her.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Part of me wants to see Pauline just to see if she would be classified as a Mario character or a DK character. years ago before Brawl, I was thinking of a moveset based on the items from the game. I do think there has been enough new content since then to create a more diverse moveset for her.
The Minis from the Mario Vs. DK series also provide some good stuff to work with.

Also, in some matches on New Donk, I noticed that Pauline and her backup band occasionally doesn't appear, so if they decide to include her in Smash 6, it wouldn't be too much of a hassle.

Though the ultimate impetus is whether the spin-offs will finally have her in a playable capacity. Ultra Smash proves that any Mario character can become playable if the latest major entry leaves enough of a big impression.

Last edited:

SAMation

Smash Journeyman
Absolutely buying Aces now. I friggin' love Pauline!!! Such a gorgeous mario character, and she runs a whole city!! Iconic, put her in Mario Kart and Mario Party now. (one day smash)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
She's here.

You can just tell they knew who we were all waiting for.
The big thing is, she's playable for the first time ever since her debut 38 years ago. I can't think of another character that had to wait that long to be playable. Even the flipping Space Invaders have been playable.

Here it is in English BTW

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
She's here.

You can just tell they knew who we were all waiting for.
'Bout time. You'd think the character who's older than Peach and debuted with Mario would've been more active. I don't know what this means for her in the future, but man, I'd love to see her become the next Rosalina and bump up our trio of human females to a quartet. Pretty soon, we could see her in Mario Kart, Mario Party, and other spin-offs.

Heck, maybe she could still get in Smash as DLC? Now that you can toggle off hazards, perhaps stage hazards don't disconfirm a character anymore.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
'Bout time. You'd think the character who's older than Peach and debuted with Mario would've been more active. I don't know what this means for her in the future, but man, I'd love to see her become the next Rosalina and bump up our trio of human females to a quartet. Pretty soon, we could see her in Mario Kart, Mario Party, and other spin-offs.

Heck, maybe she could still get in Smash as DLC? Now that you can toggle off hazards, perhaps stage hazards don't disconfirm a character anymore.
Maybe, but there is an occasional chance of not seeing her and the backup band pop up when the vocal version of Jump Up, Super Star! already has its vocals playing in the NDC stage, so who knows. Even if she isn't playable this time, this can provide a base for the devs to work around.

Especially since Captain Toad still hasn't been seen beyond the Smash website, what the hell?

The big thing is, she's playable for the first time ever since her debut 38 years ago. I can't think of another character that had to wait that long to be playable. Even the flipping Space Invaders have been playable.

Here it is in English BTW
Wait, where were the Space Invaders playable in?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Maybe, but there is an occasional chance of not seeing her and the backup band pop up when the vocal version of Jump Up, Super Star! already has its vocals playing in the NDC stage, so who knows. Even if she isn't playable this time, this can provide a base for the devs to work around.

Especially since Captain Toad still hasn't been seen beyond the Smash website, what the hell?

Wait, where were the Space Invaders playable in?
Space Invaders get Even on WiiWare

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
I really like Pauline, and I'm really happy to see her make her spin-off debut. I've been wanting her to join the main cast of Mario characters for a while, so I was very happy when Odyssey brought her back. I think it'd be really cool to have her playable in Smash, and the Minis give her so much moveset potential.
I didn't mention this earlier and forgot, but this is the first time Pauline will interact with Donkey Kong on a friendly context. One can only wonder how she would feel about that...
Wasn't there a Mario vs DK game where Pauline and Donkey Kong were actually working together to surprise Mario, or am I remembering wrong?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I really like Pauline, and I'm really happy to see her make her spin-off debut. I've been wanting her to join the main cast of Mario characters for a while, so I was very happy when Odyssey brought her back. I think it'd be really cool to have her playable in Smash, and the Minis give her so much moveset potential.

Wasn't there a Mario vs DK game where Pauline and Donkey Kong were actually working together to surprise Mario, or am I remembering wrong?
Much agreed.

Well, it seems there is that and an installment where they run a game stall in a festival. Still, this is the first time DK and Pauline can go tennis playing with and against each other.

That said, she is qualified as a DK character, since her spirit is listed among the other arcade DK and DKC characters.

Last edited:

kool2419

Smash Apprentice
Man Pauline`s looking gorgeous here and her appearance in Tennis Aces might`ve just boosted her chances even more if she makes as DLC. If she does a new main for me.

Last edited:

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
So the choices were by Nintendo for DLC and if Mario Oddesey is the best selling switch game, and she's now playable in a spin off, I'd say her chances are actually decent.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
So the choices were by Nintendo for DLC and if Mario Oddesey is the best selling switch game, and she's now playable in a spin off, I'd say her chances are actually decent.
Maybe. It just depends on who Nintendo wants to promote. Assuming Rex and Spring Man are out, we have quite a few characters from Switch games who would qualify as promotional. There's the Champions, Octolings, Pauline, Funky Kong, Captain Toad, a Three Houses rep, a Gen VIII Pokemon, and a MP4 rep.

Needlessly to say, she has her work cut out for her. I don't know how she'd fare against these other characters if Nintendo was looking at a list similar to this.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
While her chances are extremely low at this point I still support Pauline for Smash one day :b:.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Maybe. It just depends on who Nintendo wants to promote. Assuming Rex and Spring Man are out, we have quite a few characters from Switch games who would qualify as promotional. There's the Champions, Octolings, Pauline, Funky Kong, Captain Toad, a Three Houses rep, a Gen VIII Pokemon, and a MP4 rep.

Needlessly to say, she has her work cut out for her. I don't know how she'd fare against these other characters if Nintendo was looking at a list similar to this.
Not to mention King Boo and Poochy. Then there's the fan favorite picks like BWD.

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
Pauline coming to Aces sold the game for me, honestly couldn’t be happier. About smash it depends what happens next. Literally every other Nintendo character seems to be in the same position right now.

Pauline doesn’t have a big enough smash crowd yelling for her yet. However she does have a crowd of her own. AFAIK she’s the best received Aces newcomer, so she’s got some potential. Her Stage cameo isn’t as invasive as ATs and if Chrom is anything to go by then existing models are eligible.

If the stars align I think she could pull through, but it’s really up to you know who.

Last edited:

Gemini-Gene

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fairlight92
Switch FC
SW 7459 3215 2216
I've been saying for years "when is Nintendo going to start putting best girl in Mario spin off games?", she had her big comback and role in Mario Odyssey, then she has a stage and cameo in Ultimate, and now she's playable in Aces?

It's been a good run for Pauline as far as her relevance in the Mario games. With Nintendo choosing the DLC fighters there is a small chance that Pauline could be one of the choices, but a question I have now is what would her DLC stage be if New Donk City is already in the base game? Would it be another Odyssey stage, a stage from the Mario vs DK games (assuming she would have Mario minis in her move set that work like Bowser Jr's down special), or a new classic DK stage? I also noticed that her height and proportions are changed in Aces so it fits with the rest of the human characters, which could also happen to her in Smash if she was chosen to be playable.

Here's some ideas I gave her for a move set. I will edit this and change/add more to it later.
In a move set I've made a few months a ago I gave her the minis for down B, the Hammer for Smash attacks, Oil Drum for side B which summons a fire ball that travels on the stage and platforms (like on the DK stage), a Spring for her recovery which can be picked up if used on stage (works like Sonic's as a recovery but the Spring itself ,can be used to gimp your opponent's recovery if you pick it up on stage and throw it at them), and Cappy as neutral B (can used as a recovery option, Cappy acts like a Luma and can be killed when briefly summoned).

Last edited:

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
Her specials haven’t been confirmed yet for Aces but if it’s Cappy then she’s set to freely use an Odyssey moveset if they wish.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I could see a Pauline/Tiara combo in future games kind of like how Rosalina's moveset is Galaxy inspired. I also hope they address her past relationship with Mario in a future RPG because I think that would be hilarious. Mario's a pretty sporting guy. Not only does he invite people who have attempted to kill him to social gatherings, he even invites his exe! Watta a guy!

LittleWolf417

Smash Rookie
This was an idea i had for her moveset
Some of her moves can have music/concert type of effects.
Entrance: coming out of the door from the New Donk City hall.

Jab: can work in a similar way as peach's but instead of slapping she could swing her purse twice. Dash attack: smacks her opponent with her hat.

Forward tilt: summons a moon like she does when you find her birthday gift. Up tilt: the jump up super high dance she does with her fist in the air. Down tilt: stomping her heel.

Neutral air: a spin with music notes around her. Forward air: a cabriole jump. Up air: like peach's but instead of a rainbow trail it's a staff of music notes. Back air: a stag leap.

Neutral B: throws hat like Mario would with cappy. Side B: rides the motor scooter from New Donk City. Up B: jumps on the spring from DK arcade. Down B: winds up a Pauline mini toy that explodes.

Forward smash: wacks her opponent with a mic stand. Up smash: opens her umbrella upward. Down smash: the odyssey ya see dance where she kicks her legs forward and back which is also reference to her animation in DK arcade.

Pummel: snapping her fingers causing music note effects around the oponnent. Forward throw: throws her opponent while tossing her hat at them. Up throw: throws opponents upwards while throwing purple Pauline coins at them. Down throw: rapidly stomps with heels. Back throw: like her forward throw but backwards.

Final Smash: a New Donk City festival concert with barrel sprites hitting the oponnent down the runway.

Up taunt: 1 up girl dance where she points up and winks. Side taunt: blows a kiss that makes her new logo from Mario tennis Aces appear(inspired by citruspark). Down taunt: mario's dancing animation from odyssey.

Her first idle animation could be her putting hands together like she does when she asks if you got her a purse. Her second idle could be pushing her hair back with one hand like in her ssbwiiu trophy, her intro in Aces, and her artwork in Aces.

Her victory theme could be the melody she sings when you get the multi moon at her concert. Victory pose 1: turning and taking off her hat like her intro in her concert. Victory pose 2: singing her victory theme with her band then striking a pose. Victory pose 3: has her back to the camera, turns her head, drops the mic, and crosses her arms.

I thought a good a idea for her palette swaps could be some colors are her in her dress and some are in her suit.

Last edited:

Citruspark

Smash Rookie
Neutral Special: "S'mooch"

Pauline blows a kiss at her opponent, which causes a small projectile to float slowly through the air. It functions like Din's Fire, only that it is harder to land due to its speed and size. When it connects, it deals damage and restores Pauline's own health. It is based on her own logo as of her appearance in Mario Tennis Aces (which I assume will continue to be her symbol in later games), a pair of lips in the shape of a heart. Also draws from her apparent personality traits.

Side Special: "Hat Throw"

Like Mario's move from Odyssey, Pauline throws her hat from the original Donkey Kong like a frisbee to damage enemies. It then comes back to Pauline like a boomerang. If it misses her coming back, she won't be able to use it again for a short time. The hat was one of the three items Pauline lost as she was being kidnapped by Donkey Kong and are collected by Mario to gain extra points.

Up Special: "Pauline Parasol"

Pauline brandishes her striped pink-and-white umbrella and glides into the air like Peach and Daisy's move. The parasol is one of Pauline's lost articles from Donkey Kong, and it's a no-brainer that she would use it as her up special. To switch things up, there's a higher emphasis on damage.

Down Special: "In The Bag"

Pauline holds open her red purse, another one of her items from Donkey Kong. It functions like Mr. Game & Watch's Oil Panic move, absorbing projectiles, but she can use it to pick up items and even other fighters too. Projectiles inside her bag can be dished out again to deal damage to opponents. Fighters caught inside will be thrown out.

Laniv

Smash Lord
Honestly I'd love to see Pauline as a playable fighter, I support this

♕Pretty Roger♕

God Roger
NNID
RogelioWii
3DS FC
0602-6365-8680
Switch FC
SW-2762-7992-4597
I wish Pauline gets in somehow, you have my support! ❤

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Pauline coming to Aces sold the game for me, honestly couldn’t be happier. About smash it depends what happens next. Literally every other Nintendo character seems to be in the same position right now.

Pauline doesn’t have a big enough smash crowd yelling for her yet. However she does have a crowd of her own. AFAIK she’s the best received Aces newcomer, so she’s got some potential. Her Stage cameo isn’t as invasive as ATs and if Chrom is anything to go by then existing models are eligible.

If the stars align I think she could pull through, but it’s really up to you know who.
Bit late on this, but she'd be the most convenient possibility for standalone DLC; there's already a stage and music for Odyssey in the game, so it'd be easy peasy aside from the fact that her character model would be a bit more different than the other Mario ladies that are in already (she's the only one that doesn't wear a gown).

smashkirby

Smash Hero
It's still kind of a trip for me right now to believe that not only is Pauline PLAYABLE in ANY game AT ALL, but she had to wait almost 38 YEARS to be playable.

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
I totally support her! She'd be pretty cool and the more SMO representation the merrier :grin:
Plus, she's a core character in Nintendo history which is a plus

D

Deleted member

I would love to be a Pauline supporter.

The Mario vs Donkey Kong games for NDS were a huge deal for me when I was younger, and Pauline became a character who I started enjoying more and more as I grow up alongside Rosalina and Waluigi.

Her moveset could also involve easily the Minis from the mentioned games.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I will say, even if she's not playable in the end this time, her Smash chances are bigger than they've ever been in the past. Odyssey brought her back on the map in a big way, and MT Aces showed that she's here to stay in the main Marioverse, so she might become a near-guarantee for Smash 6.

In the meantime, I ran across this fantastic cosplay by Emiru:

Laniv

Smash Lord
If she does get into smash next game, we've got a perfect victory theme for her

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
At this point I'm not too sure about Pauline. Her position is indeed very special as she was part of the root for both DK and Mario series. I think there is 50% chance for NIntendo to promote her to a veteran fighter which Smash bros like to introduce. However within Mario games it feels like Nintendo didn't push her as much as other Mario main cast. I feel we needs some time to see if Nintendo will push her more before Smash 6 comes.
Personally I definitely like to see her in.

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
Oh my god I want her in Smash now more than ever! I’m just so happy that she’s in Mario Kart now, it’s the next best thing to Smash.

I mean she is fairly popular as of now but putting her in Mario Kart could help her become more of a mainstay in spin offs. That’s what the Pauline alliance wanted all along.

I’m very pleased ❤

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Following the announcement that she'll be playable in Mario Kart Tour, I've seen so many claim that Pauline's pretty much getting 'the Rosalina treatment' now (where Nintendo will supposedly shove her in anything and everything for the next 8-10 years, making her more and more of an outright mainstay at that point).

And personally? I don't have any problem with that. Heck, I've even seen people claim that Pauline in Smash Bros. is near-inevitable at this point.

Top Bottom