• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mayor of New Donk City: Pauline for Smash Switch!

Phoebee

Smash Cadet
I can definitely see Pauline getting in, especially after Rosalinda's appearance in the last game and the success of Odyssey! I'm for the idea of her moveset incorporating Cappy a bit but not completely relying on it.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If Smash Switch has Challenges again

"Just like old times": Use Donkey Kong's Cargo throw on Pauline
"Turn the Tables": Use Pauline's Final Smash on Donkey Kong

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
For those of you that haven’t rated her, today is her day for the rate their chances thread.

Thatkidwiththeafro

The Pink Panther's Bro!
NNID
Mr.F-ZeroBias
Since the Inklings had a cool trailer, I figured what if Pauline had one of those as well...

The trailer starts out with a sunset in the distance, followed by a panning zoom-in shot of the skyscrapers of New Donk City, before finally settling in on City Hall. It then zooms in through the crowd who are awaiting the concert to begin. It then zooms in on the various members of the band before zooming in on Pauline. She turns around, and as the announcer calls out for the music festival to begin, she begins singing "Jump Up Super Star". However, in the middle of the song, everything blacks out, with the exception of Pauline. Pauline begins looking around until a bright orange light captures her attention. She then stares in awe as the Smash Logo appears in her eyes. The next shots showcase both Mario and Donkey Kong while obscuring their faces. The camera then zooms out as everything, save for the Smash logo fades away.

What do you think Pauline fans?

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
I'm really imagining pauline using a mix of Donkey Kong + Odissey + Minis moveset!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I will say, we have no clue how much of Smash and SMO's teams shared info and how soon if so.

Though given how the team made more effort to be up to date with Smash 4 (after melee and Brawl turned out to be made mostly of the previous generation when the next games were already out), it wouldn't be out of the question for them to have started working on then future info. Not to mention DLC extras

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
They do have Link with his BoTW design so there’s a good chance of Odyssey content isn’t there?

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Count me in. The only thing holding me back from believing she had a chance was moveset potential, but I like the idea of incorporating Cappy and the Minis. Speaking in terms of representation, Pauline is the perfect way to tie together all eras of Mario and Nintendo up to this point. When you get down to it, we don't have a character who "really" represents the DK arcade; Mario and DK both have movesets based on their respective series, and don't really call back to what started it all. Additionally, if she gets Cappy, it would properly give Odyssey the representation it deserves, imo.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Count me in. The only thing holding me back from believing she had a chance was moveset potential, but I like the idea of incorporating Cappy and the Minis. Speaking in terms of representation, Pauline is the perfect way to tie together all eras of Mario and Nintendo up to this point. When you get down to it, we don't have a character who "really" represents the DK arcade; Mario and DK both have movesets based on their respective series, and don't really call back to what started it all. Additionally, if she gets Cappy, it would properly give Odyssey the representation it deserves, imo.
In my opinion, it is never worth discounting a character just because we cannot see a move-set. That is not our job. He has made character with nothing (Fox) one of the more creative move-sets, and he has given characters with much potential, Ganondorf, absolutely nothing. Palutena was a character from his own series, and look at her? Terrible. Little Mac, everyone thought he would be boring, huge standout. It is just a mixed bag. The question should be, does Pauline deserve it and do people WANT to play as her.

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
In my opinion, it is never worth discounting a character just because we cannot see a move-set. That is not our job. He has made character with nothing (Fox) one of the more creative move-sets, and he has given characters with much potential, Ganondorf, absolutely nothing. Palutena was a character from his own series, and look at her? Terrible. Little Mac, everyone thought he would be boring, huge standout. It is just a mixed bag. The question should be, does Pauline deserve it and do people WANT to play as her.
Some people do and some people don’t, she has the lowest want rating right now in the RTC thread. However I noticed that a lot of people gave her that not because they dislike her but because they can’t see how she’d work or because of they think that other characters have priority.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Same here, I can't see how'd she'd work and strike a balance between her different appearances.
I still really want her, but I'm only one epiphany away from her joining my Old Time's Three with Daisy and Impa.

I acknowledge Pauline's DK and MvsDKappearances, but since those games both have a different design, purpose and moveset potential for Pauline I'd say it's pretty safe to assume Pauline would get in based on Odyssey alone.
It's like Captain Toad reintroduced new lore, design and powers for Toad. Yeah, they're based on Toads classic traits like low jumping and throwing turnips, but it's such a new look on the character that I see Odyssey Pauline and MvDK Pauline as two different characters, with different design, profession and moveset.

If people could think of a way to reunite DK arcade elements with Mini Marios into a mainly Odyssey based moveset, I'd be supporting Pauline, she'd be top 5 even.
But as it stands, her primary moveset potential seems to be throwing DK Arcade references together, or having a mainly Mini Mario based moveset, or her having Cappy because she can (like, in theory).

I'd love a Mini-based moveset, but that'd relegate her piece the resistance, Odyssey, to being a supporting role in her moveset.

My perfect moveset for Pauline always consisted of marching the Minis to victory, with her taking them out of her Lady's Bag, redirecting them with the Parasol, Grinders. Giving them new powers with the Lava Bubbles and Hammers and with Odyssey, using her Cappy-like trick shot hat and get the Minis into the hat and then throwing the hat into various directions to properly place the Minis.

But since Odyssey not only revitalises her character but also eclipses her previous appearances in terms of her being marketed, I'm stumped in finding that one thing that can tie all these Odyssey elements into an engaging moveset that isn't "ok so here's some Odyssey elements have fun"
Something like how Rosalina was puppeteer first, Galaxy character second.

I want to be so bloody hyped for this character and I know Sakurai could blow my mind with an amazing moveset but I don't want to wait for Sakurai to do that, I want to blow my own mind with an amazing Pauline set, but right now all moveset ideas involve the Minis as center piece with Odyssey as a supporting role at best

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
An Odyssey exclusive moveset huh? In that case I see her relying mostly on her items, mainly her hat. She doesn’t necessarily need Cappy either, he’s just the cherry on top. Several Odyssey characters have their own hat abilities without a Bonneter, like Bowser or the Bunnies. There are plenty Smash characters that have inherited moves from other characters, like Rosalina for example, and Pauline has her own hat(s). So I think the Hats would be her main weapon for an Odyssey exclusive moveset.

She could however also use Cappy, or any Bonneter really, to enhance extra abilities including jumping. Then of course her classic items would work like her purse, umbrella, microphone. I’ve also seen other people suggest a music based moveset like her singing or her band players. That concert has Fsmash written all over it. I’m sure Sakurai could make something amazing out of her, she’s got plenty to work with.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
An Odyssey exclusive moveset huh? In that case I see her relying mostly on her items, mainly her hat. She doesn’t necessarily need Cappy either, he’s just the cherry on top. Several Odyssey characters have their own hat abilities without a Bonneter, like Bowser or the Bunnies. There are plenty Smash characters that have inherited moves from other characters, like Rosalina for example, and Pauline has her own hat(s). So I think the Hats would be her main weapon for an Odyssey exclusive moveset.

She could however also use Cappy, or any Bonneter really, to enhance extra abilities including jumping. Then of course her classic items would work like her purse, umbrella, microphone. I’ve also seen other people suggest a music based moveset like her singing or her band players. That concert has Fsmash written all over it. I’m sure Sakurai could make something amazing out of her, she’s got plenty to work with.
Now we're talking, I'm gonna make a moveset of canon non-Bonnetonne hattricks :3

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
I’ve been rooting for Pauline since before Odyssey, I think her using mini Mario’s as part of her moveset would be a way to make her unique. That along with her items from donkey kong and her mic stand from odyssey could make a unique retro/modern character

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I genuinely like how in a world full of princesses and royalty ruling supreme that Pauline managed to rise to power through her own efforts.

I'm obviously rooting for Captain Toad first, but Pauline's pretty damn appealing in a mayoral role and her reintroduction into the series proper is well deserved as the first lady of Nintendo. Here's hoping she gets to appear in Kart, Tennis and more!

I've been a little unsure who my second Mario character of choice is between her, Waluigi and Daisy. Not bad considering she's only just come back in a big way!

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
I found out that her concert in Odyssey was based on a canceled arcade game. Had they not canceled she would have been in the very first Mario/DK spin off. She’s easily my most wanted request for both Smash and Mario spin offs.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
She's the next best Mario girl to include!

biigshaq

Smash Rookie
User was warned for this post
There is no chance of Pauline getting in...

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I found out that her concert in Odyssey was based on a canceled arcade game. Had they not canceled she would have been in the very first Mario/DK spin off. She’s easily my most wanted request for both Smash and Mario spin offs.
Really? Where did you hear this?

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I support Pauline fully, honestly her resurgence in popularity and importance to gaming as a whole make her inclusion long overdue, she is truly what it takes to be an all-star.

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
I'm not entirely sold on Pauline as the newest Mario rep, as I'd rather have someone like Fawful or King Boo be playable, but I don't think I'd mind her being playable, but ONLY if she makes heavy use of the Mini Marios. I love those things to death, and this would be the perfect way to implement them into Smash. She could almost work like Captain Olimar by throwing and using the minis. damn, this is actually kind of making me want to make a moveset for her. What have you done? lol :dk:

I would hesitate to use Cappy so much in her moveset, however, as she is never actually associated with him in Odyssey. Her throwing her hat to jump off of would still, however, make a lot of sense! (I'd save Cappy for an assist trophy).

Last edited:

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
I'm not entirely sold on Pauline as the newest Mario rep, as I'd rather have someone like Fawful or King Boo be playable, but I don't think I'd mind her being playable, but ONLY if she makes heavy use of the Mini Marios. I love those things to death, and this would be the perfect way to implement them into Smash. She could almost work like Captain Olimar by throwing and using the minis. damn, this is actually kind of making me want to make a moveset for her. What have you done? lol :dk:

I would hesitate to use Cappy so much in her moveset, however, as she is never actually associated with him in Odyssey. Her throwing her hat to jump off of would still, however, make a lot of sense! (I'd save Cappy for an assist trophy).
I definitely want to see what your moveset of her looks like.

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
I definitely want to see what your moveset of her looks like.
I'll try and get on it! I've been kind of overloading myself with moveset ideas lately (like this Plasm Wraith one I've made). Most of them don't even have threads (or a chance at getting into smash), so I apologize in advance if it takes a while for me to finish it. I'm currently working on one for the Ultra Beast Kartana.

Here's the Wraith moveset for an idea of what the Pauline Moveset could look like. As you can see, not your conventional text-based one, though I may have to do it in text form, as I don't think I'd be able to draw Pauline very well lol.

Attachments

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Pauline's re-design leans on the Roaring 20's as influence. Art Deco skyscrapers dominating New York, jazz establishing itself as the music of the decade and big hats.

Pauline's specials can involve:

• summoning a hanging girder that swings from off screen to rest underneath the spot the button was inputted (the beam hangs for awhile before falling; a cooldown time counts down before another can be summoned)

• using her hat as a spinning Cappy she can jump off of and perhaps landing on opponents to create imprinted Mini's that use their specials or smashes

• summoning a steel barrel (that can roll if hit) with leaping vertical flames

And her attack moves can be based on 1920's dance moves.

Last edited:

Ultra*HappyCharge

Smash Apprentice
Pauline has just gained another supporter~*

I love the idea of Minis consisting his moveset and if ever Cappy wouldn't be included in Mario's moveset, being partnered with Pauline would just make sense. Although, I still think she could need some physical attacks here and there that are not Cappy/Mini-assisted.

Also, what does anyone think if she has that diving move Mario does to get near Cappy after throwing him while in mid-air? I'm thinking another mid-air jump would be OP everytime she would use Cappy in mid-air, especially in recovering,

Last edited:

kool2419

Smash Apprentice
Pauline has my support. Peach has always been my #1 smash main but if Pauline gets in she`ll become my second main, I hope she does make it to smash switch as a fighter.

Last edited:

Raheem The Dream

Banned via Warnings
NNID
RaheemTheDream28
3DS FC
5043-2968-5730
If Pauline gets in she’ll become my new and permanent main.
If you watched this video:
! They've give Pauline just 1% percent! Well, actually to me I'm giving Pauline A+100% Percentage wise in my true personal opinion! Because, Pauline was in (The Original Damsel in Distress) back then from The 1981 Arcade Game: Donkey Kong!

Last edited:

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Well I just saw she appears in the background of the Oddyssey stage. Sad, I was actually, expecting her, unless she pulls an Alonzo with it.

kool2419

Smash Apprentice
Considering all of the returning vets it looks like echoes will be added since they don`t take up alot of dev time, so there`s still a chance for Pauline to get in even if she becomes like a semi-clone of Peach.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
If you watched this video:
! They've give Pauline just 1% percent! Well, actually to me I'm giving Pauline A+100% Percentage wise in my true personal opinion! Because, Pauline was in (The Original Damsel in Distress) back then from The 1981 Arcade Game: Donkey Kong!
You seriously need to calm down, I don’t necessarily agree with the video either but they’re aloud to have their own opinions. Just accept that and move on.

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
Haven't played Super Mario Odyssey yet. Mainly because I don't have the Switch. But, it's definitely a game I must get when I get the Switch. I support!

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Everyone was late, RIP Pauline, I actually thought you had a chance until Daisy showed up.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Hope she's playable in the next smash! I think the way she's in Ultimate is perfect. But I would love if she was also playable.

Top Bottom