• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Master of Unlocking, JILL, will survive in Smash!

Looma

Smash Journeyman
I quite like the idea of the Desperation mechanic supplementing an ammo one. Jill gets progressively worse the longer she's out and expending ammo, but the same time gains new surprise threats as she's sustained serious damage. Would make for a really varied and dynamic playstyle.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Currently the only two characters with that sort of "comeback mechanic" currently on the roster are Lucario and Little Mac.

Would definitely make her a unique addition if she takes on something similar to that.

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
Currently the only two characters with that sort of "comeback mechanic" currently on the roster are Lucario and Little Mac.

Would definitely make her a unique addition if she takes on something similar to that.
Add Joker to that list too.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
I had an interesting thought, what if Jill had a sort of anti-grab mechanic where she can push off the person grabbing her, like how RE characters shake off zombies?

Shake Off: Jill can more easily break out of grabs via wriggling the control stick rapidly just like in her home series. Has a special animation that does damage in the process. Very easy at lower percents, but gets much harder after certain damage thresholds.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I had an interesting thought, what if Jill had a sort of anti-grab mechanic where she can push off the person grabbing her, like how RE characters shake off zombies?

Shake Off: Jill can more easily break out of grabs via wriggling the control stick rapidly just like in her home series. Has a special animation that does damage in the process. Very easy at lower percents, but gets much harder after certain damage thresholds.
Not sure if you can meaningfully implement this, as button mashing already makes it easier to break out of grabs for all characters in Smash.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
Not sure if you can meaningfully implement this, as button mashing already makes it easier to break out of grabs for all characters in Smash.
Well I mean, characters could always break out of grabs, but no character currently has a true grab counter. I get your point, but it'd be a cute detail that makes her stand out a little bit, like PP's crouching footstool counter.

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
Well, what if we get a character with all of the playable characters?

SwitchButton

Banned via Administration
Well, what if we get a character with all of the playable characters?
The characters don't really work like that because they vary too much in height and animation. Chris and Leon have VERY macho styles and they're both much taller, wider, and buffer (ESPECIALLY Boulder Puncher) then their female counterparts.

In terms of a grab break, I've had the idea in the past of Jill/Leon having a down-B that is the taser from Resident Evil 1. If used normally, it would simply be a small stun, like Zamus' blaster, but with no range. Pretty mediocre. But if used when in a grab state, including being swallowed or command thrown, it would do a much better stun and do much more damage, as well as free Jill/Leon. The tradeoff being that the taser would need time to recharge after one use, so it couldn't be spammed.

Admittedly I have no idea if this would be too weak or too OP of a move.

Also, am I the only one who thinks that who "Starling" image thing is a reference to Jill and S.T.A.R.S?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Can't believe I haven't put my name down for this yet, but sign me up. I'm currently on a Resident Evil kick and am playing Revelations for the very first time. Jill Valentine is one of the few third parties I can really get behind.

I'd be equally down for Chris as they're the original duo, but as said they're such different builds there's no way we're going to get Chris and Jill in one set unless we ignore their unique kicks, punches and Chris is his Resident Evil 1 version instead of Boulder Punching Buff Boy Chris.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Also, am I the only one who thinks that who "Starling" image thing is a reference to Jill and S.T.A.R.S?
It was one of the first things that came to my mind. Not just S.T.A.R.S., but also doubling as a reference to the crows that appear in the series (and in Jill's MvC2 moveset), as both are black birds.

Uh, also, hi, Jill thread. I think this is my first time posting here, though I've been lurking for a while.

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
I'm thinking about how outside of monsters, RE is rather tame. I wanna see who get in this game tho.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Well this is refreshing. The best Jill too imo.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
An all character group like Hero's but with RE's femme fatales would be pretty cool. Jill, Claire, Ada Wong. All that's left is the fourth and I'm conflicted between RE6 Sherry for legacy sake and Ashley Graham as a surprise gag with her own caption Doesn't Need the Help!

Well this is refreshing. The best Jill too imo.

There was a problem fetching the tweet
For Wesker's sake, Capcom, port it to Switch already or something! It looks awesome!

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
They just need to port Marvel vs. Capcom 2 Jill to Smash and make the necessary adaptations. MvC2 Jill wasn't top tier but she was SO fun. Much better than the edgy Zero Suit Samus wannabe from MvC3.
All that's left is the fourth
Mia Winters from Resident Evil 7. No reason other than Resident Evil 7 being awesome. She is well trained with guns and stuff so it wouldn't be a huge stretch to have a Mia alt. Of course the chances of this happening are slim, the women from Resident Evil share a lot less in common than the heroes from Dragon Quest.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I know that even if Jill is added as a DLC fighter, she will not have her crazy fun moveset from Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (but thankfully she would also not have that abomination of a kit that she has in MvC3). However, I think she would be a perfect fighter to finish off the first fighter pass. Not only Resident Evil is popular, we are yet to have a fighter from a horror game in Smash. Come on, Nintendo.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I support Jill Valentine, and any possible Leon alt.
I'm surprised this thread doesn't have more activity.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
So a discussion about series emblems on the Newcomer Speculation thread has got me thinking, am I the only one who thinks it would be a little weird if a Resident Evil protagonist used the Umbrella logo as the series emblem? I get that there isn't a whole lot of other recognizable iconography to pull from, but something about using the symbol of the main villain organization to represent the protagonists feels... wrong somehow. Maybe if Jill gets in they could used a simplified version of the S.T.A.R.S. logo, but Kirby and Fatal Fury already use the star motif and I'm not sure how people would respond to a third series with a star emblem. They could also pull a Final Fantasy and just have "RE" as the series' emblem, but that would obviously be super dull. I know I'm probably the only person who cares about this sort of thing, but picking a series emblem that would work with the protagonists is pretty difficult.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
So a discussion about series emblems on the Newcomer Speculation thread has got me thinking, am I the only one who thinks it would be a little weird if a Resident Evil protagonist used the Umbrella logo as the series emblem? I get that there isn't a whole lot of other recognizable iconography to pull from, but something about using the symbol of the main villain organization to represent the protagonists feels... wrong somehow. Maybe if Jill gets in they could used a simplified version of the S.T.A.R.S. logo, but Kirby and Fatal Fury already use the star motif and I'm not sure how people would respond to a third series with a star emblem. They could also pull a Final Fantasy and just have "RE" as the series' emblem, but that would obviously be super dull. I know I'm probably the only person who cares about this sort of thing, but picking a series emblem that would work with the protagonists is pretty difficult.
I feel like the Umbrella logo is the way to go. Sure, it's the antagonists' within the canon, but it's not that unprecedented - Dracula's Castle is the main bad guy's residence, the duck is the closest to an antagonist in Duck Hunt, and the FOX Unit is a complex situation, as it's a "good" unit in MGS3 (when you're playing as a crew of future villains) and then goes rogue and are the main antagonists in Portable Ops. So they will really go for recognizable iconography even if it doesn't really align with the main characters.

I don't really think there's a more iconic choice than the Umbrella logo, and certainly not the STARS emblem. I guess if they wanted something more complex, maybe the zombie turning around from 1?

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Maybe an argument could be made for Wesker with the Umbrella logo angle... And while Jill’s my preference out of the protagonists, he would certainly be unique as an addition.

inksaver

Smash Rookie
I posted this on another thread, but figured i would share it here too!
I’m very hopeful that Jill Valentine will be the next character reveal. She’s always had a strong female presence in video games and would be representing a genre yet to appear in Smash. I wanted to make a list of move sets for her but I’m not the best at writing it out in detail, so I just decided to draw it myself.
Her fighting style involving zombies was very fun in MVC2, but I do truly believe bloody zombies would be an issue for ratings, so I discarded that idea.
Also, I only drew her normal combos and attack specials. I tried to keep it in a style like classic Resident Evil games where you need to choose carefully when to use your weapons and items, while still keeping some elements from newer games.
I'm not so sure how the supporter system here works, but you can count me in as one.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
While I'm more of a Leon guy I'd like to be added to the support list! If Jill gets in I'd be happy even if Leon isn't an alt or an echo, in the end Resident Evil is one of my favourite franchises.
I really like Jill, specially the one from RE3.

I hope that at least she would reappear in RE8. I like introducing new characters and locations like they did with RE7 and that was nice to change things a bit, but if I can choose I'd like to see some of the 4 first protagonists being the main characters again. Well, I think Chris wouldn't repeat, he was playable in one of the DLCs of RE7 (that was a good one even if it was short). RE8 with two main characters to play with like RE2 would be cool. Maybe Jill and Leon for RE8?

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Like Leon and Ada, would prefer Chris and Jill become something of a package deal again in terms for reappearing for any mainline sequel or whatnot, but that's just me.

inksaver

Smash Rookie
While I'm more of a Leon guy I'd like to be added to the support list! If Jill gets in I'd be happy even if Leon isn't an alt or an echo, in the end Resident Evil is one of my favourite franchises.
I really like Jill, specially the one from RE3.

I hope that at least she would reappear in RE8. I like introducing new characters and locations like they did with RE7 and that was nice to change things a bit, but if I can choose I'd like to see some of the 4 first protagonists being the main characters again. Well, I think Chris wouldn't repeat, he was playable in one of the DLCs of RE7 (that was a good one even if it was short). RE8 with two main characters to play with like RE2 would be cool. Maybe Jill and Leon for RE8?
I would love for her to make a comeback, the last we heard of Jill was in a file within REvelations 2, but I would like for her story to continue.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Like Leon and Ada, would prefer Chris and Jill become something of a package deal again in terms for reappearing for any mainline sequel or whatnot, but that's just me.
Yeah that would be nice too. I said Leon because he and Jill are my favourite RE characters and I think we never saw both interact with each other. Claire and Chris at least had their own game.

I would love for her to make a comeback, the last we heard of Jill was in a file within REvelations 2, but I would like for her story to continue.
She should return, yeah.
I know for a lot of people the argument and story of Resident Evil isn't that important, and while it isn't the best story out there I appreciate it. For that reason I'm not a great fan of what RE5 and 6, and RE4 to a lesser extent, in terms of story and characters. Things go so crazy for my taste and they introduced a lot of characters that I personally think weren't necessary. I would add REvelations 1 and 2 but these game are spin offs so I give them a pass.

I mean, it's okay to add new characters and all that, but I think that the spotlight should have remained with the characters we already knew, the ones from the first games. For that reason I hope that the protagonist role for RE8 will return to Leon, Jill, Claire or Chris.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
The Jill drought has been tough, I'd give almost anything to see Jill and Chris on another adventure.

or Jill and Claire

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I posted this on another thread, but figured i would share it here too!
I’m very hopeful that Jill Valentine will be the next character reveal. She’s always had a strong female presence in video games and would be representing a genre yet to appear in Smash. I wanted to make a list of move sets for her but I’m not the best at writing it out in detail, so I just decided to draw it myself.
Her fighting style involving zombies was very fun in MVC2, but I do truly believe bloody zombies would be an issue for ratings, so I discarded that idea.
Also, I only drew her normal combos and attack specials. I tried to keep it in a style like classic Resident Evil games where you need to choose carefully when to use your weapons and items, while still keeping some elements from newer games.
I'm not so sure how the supporter system here works, but you can count me in as one.
Really like inventory mechanics in this moveset, seems like a unique mix of Banjo-Kazooie’s Wonder Wing and a more manageable version of Hero’s menus.

Oh also I wanted to say I support Jill. I'm a Phoenix Wright guy at heart but Jill would be a great choice. In an ideal world we would get both, but honestly any Capcom character would be great, they always hit it out of the park with them in Smash.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
Playing as Banjo & Kazooie a lot and realizing how good they are has more or less quelled my fear of unreplenishable ammo. I was afraid that would be the death knell of a character like Jill, should they be added.

Having stock based ammo like Wonderwing would be fantastic for emulating her source material. I don't think she'd really need a special dedicated to restoring ammo as long as it's all sufficiently beefy.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/resident-evil-3-remake-to-release-in-2020/

Coming next year? I guess that confirms any suspicions about reusing the engine of the RE2make, and it's just as well, with how easily they could rebuild Nemesis off of that game's Mr X. Not a bad idea all and all.

And yeesh, I really had to dig for this thread to post this. Leon's support/thread really is louder in comparison.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
To make everyone happy, why not have the Resident Evil rep for Smash be an Ice Climbers pairing aka a duo? The default being Chris & Jill with Leon & Claire as the alternate? During around the time of Raccoon City, they have about the same build with the same gameplay functions anyway so it can definitely work.

Last edited:

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Quoting myself from the speculation thread. This also relates to what Ridley_Prime Ridley_Prime posted earlier.
I know the Resident Evil conversation has died down, but I just wanted to bring up a potential situation that could happen at the Game Awards. So the inevitable R3Make hasn't actually been formally announced yet. And, obviously, with RE2Make being critically acclaimed and being nominated for Game of the Year, it'd be a perfect place to announce it. Secondly, it turns out Capcom is actually looking to release this remake for 2020. It's mentioned in the first half of this video.
I could easily see Capcom making the announcement for R3Make and having it immediately followed by an announcement for Jill for Smash. It'd be the perfect segue. It would also fit how Joker and Hero were released before P5 Royal and DQXIS if R3Make is to be released in 2020 and Jill is released in Jan 2020.

Not saying it's guaranteed, but I think it would work out pretty nicely.
I think Jill would be pretty neat and a great way to end the pass; have been a fan of RE for a while.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I'll be honest, I think Spirits is kind of disrespectful for such an influential franchise. If it wasn't meant to be a fighter, at least a Mii Costume? Jill could have definitely done that with her iconic outfit.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I'll be honest, I think Spirits is kind of disrespectful for such an influential franchise. If it wasn't meant to be a fighter, at least a Mii Costume? Jill could have definitely done that with her iconic outfit.
Yeah... I kind of agree with you.
Maybe they will announce some costumes from Resident Evil for the FP5 presentation? As far as I know all the costumes launched after Ultimate's release were announced in these presentations.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Whelp, we had a good run boys. I wasn't really having that great of a day today and this news certainly didn't help with that haha. Let's pour one out for our fallen comrades who were sentenced to PNG hell, Jill Valentine and Leon Kennedy. You might not've made it in this time, but hopefully you'll have a better shot in the next game.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Whelp, we had a good run boys. I wasn't really having that great of a day today and this news certainly didn't help with that haha. Let's pour one out for our fallen comrades who were sentenced to PNG hell, Jill Valentine and Leon Kennedy. You might not've made it in this time, but hopefully you'll have a better shot in the next game.
Yep. Even if spirits are just a bunch of png at least I'm glad to see some Resident Evil content in Smash, that was mandatory in my opinion. But if I knew this would happen maybe seeing Resident Evil content in the base game would be better. I think the franchise deserved at least the same treatment as Monster Hunter. Raccoon City as a stage and Nemesis as a boss, maybe with cameos from the main characters in the background.

But well, I'm hoping to see something better for the franchise in the next Smash. In any case I still want some other Capcom reps. Nothing against Ken, in fact I like it more than Ryu and I think it's presence in Smash is great, but it would be feel somewhat underwhelming having him as our 'final' Capcom character, mainly because he's an echo and a second rep for an already represented franchise.

Top Bottom