• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Master of Unlocking, JILL, will survive in Smash!

osby

Smash Obsessed
I feel Crash after Banjo is not as appealing. Space the two out with something very different. Then again Hero after Joker.

Also this leaves open an October reveal which would be god tier.
I don't think DQ and Persona are similar in anyway except their genre. One has a fairy-tale like setting and the other is a modern urban fantasy. Plus, Persona is half a visual novel besides being a dungeon crawler.

Not to mention, two half naked animals arguably look more similar than a fantasy knight and a phantom thief.

StormC

Smash Hero
Besides revealing specific characters at special events like E3 and the VGA, nothing has ever proven to me that Nintendo puts too much thought into the order of Smash announcements.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I feel that depending development times, I could see the last DLC characters being revealed around november at the same time. It would be great if a RE rep was revealed in October though but it's not something that would necessarily happen.

Voe

Smash Journeyman
If we were to get another Capcom character in Smash I would love it to be either Dante or Resident Evil 1 Remake Jill. Sakurai could even pull what he did for the Hero and give Jill some alt costumes like RE1 Remake Chris and RE4 Leon.

Last edited:

GrungeMan

Smash Apprentice
Please add me to the support list!

Right now, I actually think Jill is the most likely DLC following the reveals of Banjo-Kazooie and Hero.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace

Right now, I actually think Jill is the most likely DLC following the reveals of Banjo-Kazooie and Hero.
I think she is too alongside Doom Slayer. Though there's always a chance we get Leon instead of Jill (it's hard for me to say definitively who would get in), my current bet is they'll select Jill over him. My reasoning is because, from the original game, she's in the top two most popular RE characters, and because we don't have any female DLC characters yet (not counting Kazooie). Thinking they'll reveal her in a Fall Direct while Doom Slayer gets a Game Awards reveal.

They're In.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I thinl that Jill, Crash or Doomguy are currently some of the most highly likely picks for the 2 spots left of the Fighter Pass.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
You can add me to the support list as well. Honestly, I would prefer Leon because of my love for RE4, but I would be fine with any RE protag making the cut. Honestly, RE's exclusion is an egregious oversight to me. I feel like Joker's use of realistic guns has paved the way a bit, and truthfully I feel like these characters are being slept on. Mii Costume Theory seems to have merit for one thing, and this still remains Capcom's #1 selling franchise. They've GOT to be in! If not now, then eventually...

Why do you think so?

SwitchButton

Banned via Administration
I don't think DQ and Persona are similar in anyway except their genre. One has a fairy-tale like setting and the other is a modern urban fantasy. Plus, Persona is half a visual novel besides being a dungeon crawler.

Not to mention, two half naked animals arguably look more similar than a fantasy knight and a phantom thief.
There's no need to be coy. They're both generic sameface anime swordsmen that took 3 minutes to design. We all know that lol

btw add me to the support list. Resident Evil is long overdue for smash

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
There's no need to be coy. They're both generic sameface anime swordsmen that took 3 minutes to design. We all know that lol

btw add me to the support list. Resident Evil is long overdue for smash
I'm bad at humor, this was sarcasm, right?

osby

Smash Obsessed
You can practically see the salt seeping from this post.

Joker and Heroes have distinct facial designs compared to fighters we already have and interesting movesets that bring unique gameplay to the table. Not to mention Joker isn't even a swordsmen.

But I don't expect someone unironically using anime swordsmen to whine to have a solid argument, anyway. Just say you don't like them and move on.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I want to know Sakurai's secret to rendering the four different Hero models in three minutes. That must be why he has hand problems.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Oh, so they were being serious? Damn... Poe's Law proven true once more.
I want to know Sakurai's secret to rendering the four different Hero models in three minutes. That must be why he has hand problems.
He probably got help from the Pokemon team.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Personally, I don't see Jill and Doom Guy, since they're both pushing mature content/shooters, and I just don't see Nintendo using both of them for the finale of this pass. And-- this is solely my personal opinion-- I don't see Nintendo putting in another heavily-Western-requested character. Banjo was a specific call-out to people on this side of the world. I don't think we're getting two.

The last two picks will probably be popular in Japan as well as worldwide. And I think one of them will be first party. It's just a gut feeling.

My bet is a Resident Evil/Capcom in general rep, and a Nintendo rep of some sort. Possibly someone promoting a game we don't even know exists yet. Nintendo doesn't announce everything at E3; we could easily get, for example, a Splatoon 3 announcement in November coupled with the new pop idols for that game as the announced newcomers.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Another thing that worries me is how they can distinguish a RE character from Snake and Joker. Making newcomers stand out from the crowd still seems to be very much a thing, but maybe they would be fine with making them play similarly. Does anyone else think this distinction needs to be made? Should they get some sort of ammo or healing gimmick?

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Another thing that worries me is how they can distinguish a RE character from Snake and Joker. Making newcomers stand out from the crowd still seems to be very much a thing, but maybe they would be fine with making them play similarly. Does anyone else think this distinction needs to be made? Should they get some sort of ammo or healing gimmick?
I think they should have an ammo/mobility gimmick regardless of making them stand out.

The fact that Joker fires a gun and Snake uses explosives doesn't necessitate that the RE rep be or appear similar. The Hero looks like Toriyama's Legend of Zelda OC, but they were able to heavily differentiate him in meaningful ways, both in gameplay and aesthetics.

With RE, you have limited resources, healing, knife play, tasers, flame throwers, handheld grenade launchers, BOWs and individual acrobatics from the modern games depending on which character is chosen all at your disposal. Yes, Snake uses an RPG, grenades, etc., but there other ways to incorporate such weaponry. I think we can all agree that Snake in Smash plays absolutely nothing like Chris in MvC3, or Jill in MvC2.

D

Deleted member

The thing regarding western reps is that there are picks like Crash who are incredibly popular in Japan (with many fan favourite characters like Fake Crash or Penta Penguin even coming from there).

Crash is a character who would likely have an amount of hype bigger than Banjo's.

He would be one of the next great choices if we have a second western rep.

But besides him, I don't find many other western picks as likely, so hopefully Jill would come with him.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
To clarify, I mean "the West are practically the only ones who want him," not "made in the West".

D

Deleted member

To clarify, I mean "the West are practically the only ones who want him," not "made in the West".
There are many people in Japan who actually want Crash in too, ngl.

Back when the Fighter Pass got reveale, he was a popular pick for it on japanese Twitter.
That without mentioning the mark of the franchise in Japan.

But I always say the same: nobody is a lock until Sakurai denies someone, and everyone has the same chances to get in right now.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
To clarify again, I wasn't even talking directly about Crash or anyone specific. Just the general concept. :laugh:

D

Deleted member

To clarify again, I wasn't even talking directly about Crash or anyone specific. Just the general concept. :laugh:
Yeah, many other western picks are less likely.

Crash is just a potential exception due to how huge he is in Japan.

Outside of him, I think that other western reps will have it though.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
I think they should have an ammo/mobility gimmick regardless of making them stand out.

The fact that Joker fires a gun and Snake uses explosives doesn't necessitate that the RE rep be or appear similar. The Hero looks like Toriyama's Legend of Zelda OC, but they were able to heavily differentiate him in meaningful ways, both in gameplay and aesthetics.

With RE, you have limited resources, healing, knife play, tasers, flame throwers, handheld grenade launchers, BOWs and individual acrobatics from the modern games depending on which character is chosen all at your disposal. Yes, Snake uses an RPG, grenades, etc., but there other ways to incorporate such weaponry. I think we can all agree that Snake in Smash plays absolutely nothing like Chris in MvC3, or Jill in MvC2.
I agree. Snake uses explosives, acrobatics and martial arts, but obviously there are many different ways to use said skills. I do feel like it will be important to the development team to make them stand out though like they did with The Hero and his command screen.

So I just now realized that every third party company working with Nintendo on Smash has their highest selling franchise represented by a character except Capcom and Namco (I'm not counting Microsoft atm just because they're brand new to the series). I'm talking about RE and Tekken respectively of course. It's rather surprising that we haven't seen characters from either of these franchises at this point.

Tekken AT THE VERY LEAST got a Mii costume, and still there isn't a shred of RE. I keep thinking on why that is. Realistic firearms used to be an issue, but that slowly seems to be mattering less and less. After that it's the possibility that Sakurai and co. think Horror doesn't belong in Smash. Thoughts on this?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Personally, I don't see Jill and Doom Guy, since they're both pushing mature content/shooters, and I just don't see Nintendo using both of them for the finale of this pass. And-- this is solely my personal opinion-- I don't see Nintendo putting in another heavily-Western-requested character. Banjo was a specific call-out to people on this side of the world. I don't think we're getting two.

The last two picks will probably be popular in Japan as well as worldwide. And I think one of them will be first party. It's just a gut feeling.

My bet is a Resident Evil/Capcom in general rep, and a Nintendo rep of some sort. Possibly someone promoting a game we don't even know exists yet. Nintendo doesn't announce everything at E3; we could easily get, for example, a Splatoon 3 announcement in November coupled with the new pop idols for that game as the announced newcomers.
Agree with the first part. Its quite interesting since I feel series with mature content are kinda the most direct competition RE has.

I feel that among the franchises that would be actually up against RE, only one I can think of are probably Dark Souls and Skyrim as a series more oriented with mature content that is globally popular. Persona is a funny situation as in Japan it is a series that is seen as 15+ compared to Bayo, RE and DS which are 17+. Skyrim is funny since is 18+ for a reason :b
Yeah, many other western picks are less likely.

Crash is just a potential exception due to how huge he is in Japan.

Outside of him, I think that other western reps will have it though.
I dont really think this is the thread for talking about Crash chances :b

Last edited by a moderator:

StormC

Smash Hero
At this point in the game Resident Evil is just such an obvious inclusion the only reason I can see it wouldn't happen is... it's too obvious?

It's a long running, critically acclaimed, highly successful Japanese series popular all around the world (including Japan, natch) from an untapped genre and unique gameplay options with several iconic characters. Capcom hasn't had a new series since Smash 4 as well. It would tap into new demographics and Nintendo has a clear interest in promoting the Resident Evil games on Switch.

I've never seen a convincing argument against a Resident Evil character. It's usually "It's too obvious" or "Capcom has enough characters." Joker having his pistol sealed the deal for me.

Only reason I think it wouldn't happen really is for whatever reason they decided to not have a Capcom character.

GrungeMan

Smash Apprentice
You can add me to the support list as well. Honestly, I would prefer Leon because of my love for RE4, but I would be fine with any RE protag making the cut. Honestly, RE's exclusion is an egregious oversight to me. I feel like Joker's use of realistic guns has paved the way a bit, and truthfully I feel like these characters are being slept on. Mii Costume Theory seems to have merit for one thing, and this still remains Capcom's #1 selling franchise. They've GOT to be in! If not now, then eventually...

Why do you think so?
For the same reasons you outlined. Not only on the belief of Mii Costume Theory and RE being a successful and celebrated franchise, but also simply because Capcom seems like an immense well of third party contribution that Nintendo is only going to draw more material from. I would be genuinely surprised if Capcom missed out on the fighter pass with how willing they are to license their properties.

I think Namco will get the 5th dlc slot, but it's hard to say who.

Even though it's just another fan rule that can be broken, I do think it's notable that all 11 guest characters never had any presence in smash prior to their reveal. This means Lloyd and Heihachi would be the first guests to be "promoted" from some former representation. This makes me lean more towards KOS-MOS who has already crossed over into Xenoblade 2 and could promote the Xeno series in general. The only main drawback is whether Xenosaga is really worthy of a character over Tales of and/or Tekken.

If Mii Costume theory wasn't a thing though, I would be more inclined to say Doomguy or Ryu H. will get that 5th slot.

osby

Smash Obsessed
At this point in the game Resident Evil is just such an obvious inclusion the only reason I can see it wouldn't happen is... it's too obvious?

It's a long running, critically acclaimed, highly successful Japanese series popular all around the world (including Japan, natch) from an untapped genre and unique gameplay options with several iconic characters. Capcom hasn't had a new series since Smash 4 as well. It would tap into new demographics and Nintendo has a clear interest in promoting the Resident Evil games on Switch.

I've never seen a convincing argument against a Resident Evil character. It's usually "It's too obvious" or "Capcom has enough characters." Joker having his pistol sealed the deal for me.

Only reason I think it wouldn't happen really is for whatever reason they decided to not have a Capcom character.
I don't think characters are chosen based on companies. That would mean RE is competing with a lot of franchises, not just Capcom ones.

As Persona and Banjo-Kazooie showed, sales not always decide who gets it.

Though, I'd still love Jill (or Leon and Chris) and I think she still has a good chance.

StormC

Smash Hero
I don't think characters are chosen based on companies. That would mean RE is competing with a lot of franchises, not just Capcom ones.

As Persona and Banjo-Kazooie showed, sales not always decide who gets it.

Though, I'd still love Jill (or Leon and Chris) and I think she still has a good chance.
You're right about sales, but it certainly doesn't hurt. Plus Persona 5 was the highest selling Atlus game of all time. It feels like there is at least a certain threshold of success the series have to cross. I also think Banjo was a really special case and the rest of the Pass won't really reflect the "diehard Smash" crowd. I kinda figured he'd be the exception to the rule, even before he got in. But that's just me.

Certainly other franchises could be picked over Resident Evil, but I don't think there is anything holding Resident Evil back, per se.

GrungeMan

Smash Apprentice
After that it's the possibility that Sakurai and co. think Horror doesn't belong in Smash. Thoughts on this?
I think Sakurai has demonstrated himself to be pretty liberal with what he includes in smash. To be fair, he certainly has some glass ceilings placed over characters like Isaac and Waluigi. However, I think he's respectful of genres at least (I think he ultimately wants to rep almost all gaming genres) and I definitely imagine him taking on survival horror as a fun challenge that keeps him motivated in his work.

I unfortunately think the horror aspect of Jill will be heavily muted or outright absent, and by horror I pretty much mean zombies. In MvC2 she could summon a zombie, which I don't think we're getting. I imagine Jill will use a vast array of items/projectiles similar to how Snake is played. Sakurai might go this route to emphasize the "survival" part of the survival horror genre. I don't even think we'll get anything zombified as a stage or final smash.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
The horror elements would likely come from the stage. They can have zombies in the background like the enemies in Dracula's Castle. They can be discolored with torn up clothes and it would communicate the "zombie" aspect just fine without blood or gore.

Minik

Smash Journeyman
Going off other spinoffs like Project X zone, we know they could at least do some of the unique B.O.W.s so we could get like Nemesis in the background and shoot the stage or something. I imagine a stage would also have herbs spawn as food items since they're pretty iconic. I doubt this is likely to happen but I would hope we get 4 RE characters, being Jill, Chris, Leon and Claire and have them in different game outfits from each other to represent different parts of the series but for that I worry that maybe the body shape between say Chris and Claire is too much.

D

Deleted member

It would also be cool if they took one move from MvC2, my personal pick being one of the specials that made an enemy from the RE games appear behind Jill.

Although I would be fine just with a basic attack in the same way as Megaman’s uppercut.

The stage could be the house from the first RE game, since it is a pretty iconic location.

D

Deleted member

The horror elements would likely come from the stage. They can have zombies in the background like the enemies in Dracula's Castle. They can be discolored with torn up clothes and it would communicate the "zombie" aspect just fine without blood or gore.
Talking about Dracula, if no other bosses are added to DLC, would he be the best option for Classic Mode final boss?

Looma

Smash Journeyman
I think Arklay Mansion would make for a fine stage, but I feel that Luigi's Mansion already has the "spooky mansion" setting covered. What we DON'T have is a city in ruins, which is why I think Raccoon City would be the best setting, as it's such an incredibly important location in RE lore and it would set itself apart visually from every other stage. Closest thing we have to anything like it is Wrecking Crew and Fourside. (also RE3's prerendered backgrounds are GORGEOUS and I would love to see a fully realized HD rendition of almost literally any of them)

Also I wanna hear a "RESIDENT... EVIIIL!" when the "Super Smash Bros Ultimate x Resident Evil" screen shows up. It would literally take only that to make me lose my goddamn mind.

D

Deleted member

I think Arklay Mansion would make for a fine stage, but I feel that Luigi's Mansion already has the "spooky mansion" setting covered. What we DON'T have is a city in ruins, which is why I think Raccoon City would be the best setting, as it's such an incredibly important location in RE lore and it would set itself apart visually from every other stage. Closest thing we have to anything like it is Wrecking Crew and Fourside. (also RE3's prerendered backgrounds are GORGEOUS and I would love to see a fully realized HD rendition of almost literally any of them)

Also I wanna hear a "RESIDENT... EVIIIL!" when the "Super Smash Bros Ultimate x Resident Evil" screen shows up. It would literally take only that to make me lose my goddamn mind.
Raccoon City would be an amazing stage too, yeah.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I'm still a fan of the Queen Zenobia for a stage.

Unique aesthetic. Unique specifically to Jill. From a Nintendo exclusive system seller for the 3DS at its most trying time.

The only drawback is that it's not the most iconic part of Resident Evil as a whole. That would be the original Mansion, the RPD or the Raccoon City streets.

Top Bottom