• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Master of Unlocking, JILL, will survive in Smash!

D

Deleted member

You know, with all this Banjo news, people are sleeping on reps outside the Smash echo chamber.

But that's okay. When was the last time Smash newcomers lined up with what everyone expected. :shades:
There's always room for surprises, honestly.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Definitely predicting Jill or Leon will get in. Resident Evil is the biggest Japanese franchise not yet in Smash. I'm torn between whether it'll be her or Leon though. On one hand, she's from the original game, it's remake is often considered among the best in the series, she is extremely popular, and would be a new female rep and we haven't gotten any this DLC (not counting Kazooie). On the other hand, Leon is a bit more popular, and Resident Evil 2 Remake is the biggest the series has ever been in a long time. Not to mention the original RE2 and RE4 are considered two of the best games in the franchise as well.

It's a tossup, but I lean on Jill for one reason. The "Jane" datamine. It was connected to Joker for some reason, but since it was garbage data, it could have been all a mistake. I think Jill will be Challenger Pack #5 with the Spencer Mansion as the stage and will release in January like the recent Resident Evil games have been.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I'm still banking on Jill over Leon from Capcom's perspective because a) they like to cycle their main cast, and b) they stand to gain less in sales for already long-released games like RE2make than they do near future games like RE3make, if Dusk Golem's leak is to be believed. (He's usually right about RE stuff.)

Anytime a lead character has been dormant for awhile, they tend to bring them back. Claire for Degeneration/Revelations 2, Chris and Jill for RE5, Leon for RE4, Rebecca for RE0, then later for Vendetta, and Barry for Revelations 2. In terms of "who hasn't been around lately", it's Jill's turn, unless we're counting Sheva.

However, if Nintendo decides the character and Capcom just says "yes", I can see an argument being made for Leon. Nintendo would want to capitalize on current trends. Capcom would want to capitalize on future trends.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
I'm still completely awestruck at how Resident Evil got such a red carpet treatment in the direct just for ports of 2 of the worst games in the series. I can tell Bintendo loves RE so cmon Capcom, give us the goods!

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
You take that back. RE5 is a gem.

Though, yes, it is a little odd. I genuinely thought we were getting something new with how they built it up. Then again, RE5 and RE6 are Capcom's #2 and #3 best sellers all-time. Their XB1/PS4 re-releases both sold 1.4 million copies each. The idea that each will sell a million copies on the Switch is very realistic. (As long as they don't make them $30ea., goddamn.)

D

Deleted member

RE5 is one of the best co-op games there is, it might suck as Survival Horror but is a good game nonetheless.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Think it’s fair to call it a good game, just not a good Resident Evil/survival horror game, minus maybe the Lost in Nightmares DLC. If only the rest of the game was like that... RE6 was a straight up Michael Bay fest, but it an enjoyable guilty pleasure if playing with someone.

Oh, and then there was Mercenaries which was always fun, but the RE Mercs community should’ve gotten something more than that 3DS game.

Too bad it’s too late to advocate Wesker for Smash as he’d be pretty cool.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I would be shocked if we don't get a Resident Evil character, especially after that little video in the E3 presentation.

I expressed earlier my support for Leon in another thread, but I'd really be fine with either Leon or Jill. Especially after Hero got no female alts, much to my surprise; Jill is probably one of the biggest female icons in gaming history so she would be a good choice. I could see Jill having Leon alts or vice versa.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
There’s always Ada too who I like more personally, tho Jill is more iconic, but why not both? Leon/Ada would make more sense if you’re going purely for RE2/RE4 representation though.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Think it’s fair to call it a good game, just not a good Resident Evil/survival horror game, minus maybe the Lost in Nightmares DLC. If only the rest of the game was like that... RE6 was a straight up Michael Bay fest, but it an enjoyable guilty pleasure if playing with someone.

Oh, and then there was Mercenaries which was always fun, but the RE Mercs community should’ve gotten something more than that 3DS game.

Too bad it’s too late to advocate Wesker for Smash as he’d be pretty cool.
Yes, but in that same vein I've never considered RE4 survival horror either. The blame for the shift in genre being placed on RE5 has always been very disingenuous to me. RE4 didn't involve Metroid-like backtracking or ammo conservation or limited saves or branching paths either. It just had a darker color pallet and no co-op. It still rewarded you for killing people with more bullets to kill more people, and presented many parts of the game where progress was halted until you could kill everyone in the area. It was action, not survival horror.

Which is fine. The series evolved. I just miss the horror roots because no one makes a game like classic survival horror anymore. RE2make bridged the gap well, but I don't know if we'll ever get anything of REmake's quality within the specific genre ever again.

Also, as someone still in the Mercenaries/Versus community, you're so very right. RE6 Mercs never scratched that same itch and the minigame has essentially been abandoned for Raid Mode. I've had to resort of modding the PC version for new levels occasionally.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yes, but in that same vein I've never considered RE4 survival horror either. The blame for the shift in genre being placed on RE5 has always been very disingenuous to me. RE4 didn't involve Metroid-like backtracking or ammo conservation or limited saves or branching paths either. It just had a darker color pallet and no co-op. It still rewarded you for killing people with more bullets to kill more people, and presented many parts of the game where progress was halted until you could kill everyone in the area. It was action, not survival horror.

Which is fine. The series evolved. I just miss the horror roots because no one makes a game like classic survival horror anymore. RE2make bridged the gap well, but I don't know if we'll ever get anything of REmake's quality within the specific genre ever again.

Also, as someone still in the Mercenaries/Versus community, you're so very right. RE6 Mercs never scratched that same itch and the minigame has essentially been abandoned for Raid Mode. I've had to resort of modding the PC version for new levels occasionally.
Oh, I'm not one of those who put RE4 on a pedestal and in fact blamed it for the initial change in shift as much as 5 if not more. RE5 was not originally planned to have co-op, but after the racist accusations of the original game, they felt having Sheva who was originally some minor story NPC (iirc) as a co-op partner would rectify the situation with the heat they were getting I guess. I don't know, RE5 had a weird history during its development, but for what it was in the end, it became one of my most played in the series due to the added co-op, so I wasn't like intentionally knocking it with how I labeled it.

But yeah, we have the traditional horror back in the series with the good RE2make and other things, so it's fine now, though if you mean like tank controls regarding the first REmake, then probably won't have that again.

Raid mode actually grew on me in Revelations 1 after awhile, even if the grind was tiresome, but I liked the progression system and what little customization there was and everything (in Revelations 2 though, there wasn't really anything to it). Some of the elements of Raid could be put in a Mercenaries mode in a modern game, but like you said, they kinda seemed to abandon Mercs despite the strong community it always had.

D

Deleted member

My main team in MvC2 is formed by Doctor Doom, Jill and Valentine.

Those three are my favourite characters from the game.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
I like RE5 for co-op and hammy meme Wesker (also LiN is really good). I still think it's one of the weakest games among the numbered entries. Can't say I have anything that good to say about RE6 sadly (does anyone remember ANYTHING that happened in that game?).

The problem with later Resident Evils is that RE4's formula worked a bit too well, and Capcom thought they could replicate RE4's lightning in a bottle. RE4 was too successful for it's own good and, despite being a good game, is definitely the catalyst for the direction the series took afterwards. RE5 was just it's first victim.

Tank controls are archaic, and something that I don't think Capcom can ever do again in a modern video game and get away with it. They're a relic of fixed camera angles and pre-rendered backgrounds. RE2make and RE7 are fine without them.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I remember everything from RE6. It's so meme-worthy.

I didn't like the shift in controls and the movement was wonky. The campaigns were too long and excessive. Mercenaries mode was dumbed down with the quick shot mechanic and the overall stage design wasn't as good as RE5's Mercs. And Simmons was the worst RE villain ever hands down.

I was so hyped for that game it was crazy. Definitely let down after I tried so hard to like it. There are things to like. There's just a lot more to dislike. That said.

According to Capcom's official numbers, the HD rerelease of RE6 actually sold more than both RE5 and RE4. I would have lost that bet.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Welcome aboard!

Enjoy your stay on the hype train.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
Totally think she’s our next rep. Or at least Chris, Jill and Leon as costume changes or something. I can see it more Chris and Jill being the costume changes.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I’m predictin they are gonna do a DQ hero on us.

Jill, Leon, Chris, and Claire all in one slot.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I’m predictin they are gonna do a DQ hero on us.

Jill, Leon, Chris, and Claire all in one slot.
Do you think they could all share the exact same animations? Seems like it be weird for Jill to have the exact same animations as Chris.

Maybe it could work, but it would be better fitted for echo characters, which I believe were disconfirmed for the DLC.

afrozenaer0

Smash Apprentice
If the fighter pass is all 3rd party, then Jill would be such a great addition. Another female, she's prominent in more than one RE game, and also the Spencer Estate Foyer would be such a cool map. I probably would like to see Dante or Morrigan maybe a little more, but I would be a very happy camper if Jill got put in.

The only Capcom character I really would not want to see is Phoenix Wright, but that's just because I've never played an Ace Attorney game.

Having several RE characters in one slot would be cool too if they could pull it off!

merchantofsalt

Smash Apprentice
I think the best situation would be Jill and Leon in a Simon/Richter-type situation. Jill is the co-protagonist of RE1 and protagonist of RE3, and unofficial series mascot during the 90s. Leon is the co-protagonist of RE2 and protagonist of RE4, and is the unofficial series poster boy today.

As for the moveset, I really wouldn't want a standard array of knives, grenades, and firearms. They should incorporate RE's resource management in some way I think. Still, this is my #1 hope for the DLC.

StormC

Smash Hero
I think the best situation would be Jill and Leon in a Simon/Richter-type situation. Jill is the co-protagonist of RE1 and protagonist of RE3, and unofficial series mascot during the 90s. Leon is the co-protagonist of RE2 and protagonist of RE4, and is the unofficial series poster boy today.

As for the moveset, I really wouldn't want a standard array of knives, grenades, and firearms. They should incorporate RE's resource management in some way I think. Still, this is my #1 hope for the DLC.
I think they could have things like a grenade launcher or missile launcher with limited ammo. The feeling of "oh **** I'm running out of ammo" is such a key part of the RE experience that I'm sure Sakurai would integrate it somehow. There's other stuff too like flamethrowers they could use that nobody else has.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I think they could have things like a grenade launcher or missile launcher with limited ammo. The feeling of "oh **** I'm running out of ammo" is such a key part of the RE experience that I'm sure Sakurai would integrate it somehow. There's other stuff too like flamethrowers they could use that nobody else has.
There's even precedent for ammo with Robin. I think having ammo be something that doesn't replenish until a stock is lost (like the Ice Climbers) would help differentiate the moveset a lot.

It would probably end up playing like the opposite of Joker where instead of playing keepaway to wait until you become strong, you'd be at your strongest immediately and you have to play smarter the longer you survive.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
My third party prediction: https://i.imgtc.ws/tOPWiuq.jpg

I think Jill has a great chance! Though Leon has a strong chance as well, I lean slightly towards Jill getting in alongside Doom Slayer!

I was trying to get the image to work on here, but it refuses to. You'll just have to use the link instead.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I still want her in Smash, with the moveset as close to her moveset in Marvel vs. Capcom 2 as possible.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I might be onboard for suppory

I can see her or Leon as one of the pack

Or maybe “the hero” treatment with both and a couple of main characters from resident evil with the name being “the survivor”

Oh by the way there’s this Japanese thing saying we are getting a female character from a Fighting game and reminder of Jill was in marvel vs capcom 2 and 3

Last edited:

merchantofsalt

Smash Apprentice
The more I think about this, the likelier it seems. My ideal RE character pack would be:

Jill character with default RE1 outfit and RE3 alt
Leon Echo Fighter with default RE2 outfit and RE4 alt
Spencer Mansion stage
Nemesis Assist Trophy
S.T.A.R.S. Uniform outfit for Mii Gunner
Albert Wesker outfit for Mii Brawler

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Any RE Mii costume stuff I would certainly buy if nothing else, especially midnight Wesker with the trademark sunglasses and trenchcoat.

merchantofsalt

Smash Apprentice
I am clearly too excited for this, so I decided to make a tentative moveset for Jill (and Leon). I really enjoyed the enemy "summoning" mechanic of Jill in MvC2, so I tried incorporating that into Smash along with resource management. The idea would be to make a keepaway character that keeps opponents busy while restocking on resources.

Jill Valentine / Leon Kennedy
Logo
: Umbrella Corporation logo

Appearance: Jill's default is her RE1 S.T.A.R.S. uniform. She gets her RE3 outfit as an alternate costume. She gets alt colors inspired by Claire Redfield and Rebecca Chambers.

Leon's default is his RE2 RCPD uniform. He gets his RE4 outfit as an alternate costume. He gets alt colors inspired by Chris Redfield and Albert Wesker.

Mechanic: Jill and Leon have ammunition and grenade counters next to their stock icon. They start the fight with 10 ammo and 5 grenades, which is the maximum. Ammo is used for Neutral Special, grenades are used for Smash attacks. These attacks cannot be used if the corresponding stock is at zero.

Normals:
Jab: Swipes with knife. Fast and short-ranged. Three-hit combo with no finisher.
Dash Attack: Dashing slide. Carries Jill a bit farther.
Up-Tilt: Somersault kick.
Side-Tilt: Roundhouse kick.
Down-Tilt: Low sweep.

Smash Attacks:
Up-Smash: Jill tosses a grenade upward, which explodes on impact. Leon tosses an incendiary grenade, which deals less knockback but sets foes on fire.
Side-Smash: Jill throws a grenade forward, which explodes on impact, or bounces once before exploding. Leon tosses an incendiary grenade.
Down-Smash: Rolls a flash grenade along the ground, which explodes on impact or shortly after. Deals damage and stuns, but no knockback.

Jill and Leon's Smash attacks have extraordinary range while retaining their power, but have limited uses. Attempting to use a Smash attack with no grenade stock locks the character into a "searching pockets" animation that leaves them open.

Aerials:
Neutral-Air: Two quick knife swipes.
Up-Air: Crescent moon kick. Hits above and to the sides.
Forward-Air: Spin kick. Hits in front and behind.
Back-Air: Pivoting knife slash.
Down-Air: Dive kick.

Grab: Holds onto the enemy by the shoulders, as if trying to make them back off.
Pummel: Jill shocks the enemy with a taser. Leon slashes them with a knife.
Up-Throw: Collapses backward and pushes enemy upward with a donkey kick.
Forward-Throw: Pushes the enemy off and delivers a roundhouse kick.
Back-Throw: Suplexes the enemy into the ground, which bounces them upward.
Down-Throw: Throws the enemy down and stomps them twice.

Neutral Special: Fire
Hold to retrieve and point weapon. Tilt D-pad to point diagonally up or down. Release to fire.
Handgun: Default equipped weapon. Good range, decent damage and stun. Consumes 1 ammo per shot.
Shotgun: Lackluster range, high damage and knockback. Consumes 2 ammo per shot.
Flamethrower: Short range, continuous stunlock damage. Can move while using. Consumes 2 ammo per second.
Magnum: Good range, slow start-up, crazy damage and knockback. Breaks shields. Consumes 4 ammo per shot.

Attempting to use this attack with zero ammo makes Jill/Leon point their weapon before realizing it's empty, locking them into a "puzzled" animation that leaves them open.

Up Special: Hookshot
Fires hookshot diagonally upward. A tether recovery with good range. Intercepted enemies are mildly damaged, but not grappled like Joker does.

Side Special: Enemy Approaches
Jill looks back in terror as a zombie appears behind her and shuffles along the stage. The zombie is an independent enemy that can be easily damaged and KO'd. If the zombie intercepts Jill, she will struggle with it briefly and then force it off her, taking no damage, and the zombie will continue on its way. If a zombie intercepts an enemy, it bites them, dealing damage and holding them in place momentarily. The zombie continues to shuffle along the stage until killed, or collapses after 15 seconds. Leon's version summons Ganados from RE4 instead, who behave identically.

You can charge this move for a second to summon a zombie dog instead. These move much faster than human zombies, but attack enemies by passing through them instead of holding them down, and continue running until they fall off the stage. Leon's version summons zombie wolves.

In the air, this move summons a pair of zombie crows that fly past you and hit enemies like minor projectiles, then disappear shortly after.

This move cannot be used to summon a zombie if a previous one is already active, but it can be used to summon a dog and/or crow while a zombie is out.

Down Special: Switch Weapon
Opens an icon-based menu for choosing your equipped weapon, which affects your Neutral Special.

Shield + Special: Search
Searches the ground for ammunition. Replenishes grenades and ammo for as long as it's held, roughly at a rate of 1 ammo per .75 seconds and 1 grenade per 1.25 seconds.

Final Smash: Grenade Launcher
In a cutscene, a black helicopter flies by and drops a silver case. Jill/Leon opens it, assembles the rocket launcher inside, and mounts it on her/his shoulder. The cutscene ends. You can now point a cursor anywhere on the stage to fire a grenade at that location, similar to Snake's original Final Smash. Jill/Leon is invulnerable while the Final Smash is active.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
I had a dumb thought. Banjo drops in fall, yes?

Well, guess what else drops in fall!
image0.gif
october direct revealing Jill as fighter pack #4 confirmed don't @ me mario is my dad

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
I had a dumb thought. Banjo drops in fall, yes?

Well, guess what else drops in fall!
october direct revealing Jill as fighter pack #4 confirmed don't @ me mario is my dad

I agree. Jill/Leon in October, Doom Slayer at The Game Awards. Though Doom Slayer also fits Haloween as well so they could switch it around. Especially since Doom Eternal comes out before TGA.

Of course, that's assuming Jill/Leon and Doom Slayer are the final two newcomers.

D

Deleted member

I agree. Jill/Leon in October, Doom Slayer at The Game Awards. Though Doom Slayer also fits Haloween as well so they could switch it around. Especially since Doom Eternal comes out before TGA.

Of course, that's assuming Jill/Leon and Doom Slayer are the final two newcomers.
My dream reveals would be Jill on October and Crash at the Game Awards.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
My guess right now is Jill getting the hero treatment with Leon, Claire, and Chris being one of the fighters, and Crash bandicoot being the last. Resident Evil announced at October, Crash the game awards or direct.

Minik

Smash Journeyman
I'm guessing regardless of the RE character, they'd use iconic weapons between games that they didn't even use. Typical weapons of RE I can think of are a pistol/magnum, shotgun, grenade launcher (hopefully with ice rounds since Ice moves are rare) and knife. Flash grenades are also in so many games and I think could make a unique stun move thats quick to throw out but has a delay to its stun.

StormC

Smash Hero
My guess right now is Jill getting the hero treatment with Leon, Claire, and Chris being one of the fighters, and Crash bandicoot being the last. Resident Evil announced at October, Crash the game awards or direct.
I think it would be the reverse. Resident Evil is a series with huge critical acclaim and RE2make will be a GOTY contender. It makes a lot more sense to me to show SUPER SMASH BROS. X RESIDENT EVIL at the VGA than Crash.

...but I'm totally hoping Crash is the other character too!

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I think it would be the reverse. Resident Evil is a series with huge critical acclaim and RE2make will be a GOTY contender. It makes a lot more sense to me to show SUPER SMASH BROS. X RESIDENT EVIL at the VGA than Crash.

...but I'm totally hoping Crash is the other character too!
I feel Crash after Banjo is not as appealing. Space the two out with something very different. Then again Hero after Joker.

Also this leaves open an October reveal which would be god tier.

Top Bottom