• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mascot of Despair, Monokuma Punishes the Competition!

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Geno fan in despair here:

So how about that Monokuma? Honestly haven't played any of the games yet (nintendo guy exclusively) but my want for a funny, jigsaw-esque chatterbox bear is strong regardless

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

So how about that Monokuma? Honestly haven't played any of the games yet (nintendo guy exclusively) but my want for a funny, jigsaw-esque chatterbox bear is strong regardless
Despair, eh? Well, I think this bear is right up your alley then!

Make sure to tell any of your despair-enduced friends, too!

Kirberus

Smash Apprentice

Monokuma is basically if Mickey Mouse became a sadistic insane mascot for a killing game for high school students.

Which is exactly why I want to see this goofy little despair bear in the world's largest crossover in video game history.

Serious talk though, play the games if you have a PC or are able to play it on phones. They're amazing.

coolkuma.PNG

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Monokuma is basically if Mickey Mouse became a sadistic insane mascot for a killing game for high school students.

Which is exactly why I want to see this goofy little despair bear in the world's largest crossover in video game history.
If we got Monokuma and Sonic.EXE deluxe mii costumes. We could try pitting these two icons from media about killing/murder/death against each other.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
If we got Monokuma and Sonic.EXE deluxe mii costumes. We could try pitting these two icons from media about killing/murder/death against each other.
I don't know about Sonic.EXE...

Then again, Sanik (or however you spell its name) made an appearance on a shirt in Sonic Forces, so who knows?

Kirberus

Smash Apprentice
Sonic.EXE's circumstances are similar to Geralt (Witcher). I think fancharacters are eligible if they are either of videogame origin, or are primarily recognized as videogame charactes.
Yeah, Nintendo is a real big fan of fangames.

So big of a fan that they've tracked down every single one of them! Isn't that crazy? Although it is a bit weird that they all disappeared afterwards...

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Yeah, Nintendo is a real big fan of fangames.

So big of a fan that they've tracked down every single one of them! Isn't that crazy? Although it is a bit weird that they all disappeared afterwards...
If Geralt can be playable, then Sonic.EXE can be as well.

Kirberus

Smash Apprentice
That's like saying if Mario can be playable then a Newgrounds game character can be playable.

But this is besides the point. Sonic.EXE is as relevant as Slender Man. Meaning he's irrelevant.

Can we get back to talking about Monokuma in the Monokuma thread please?

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
That's like saying if Mario can be playable then a Newgrounds game character can be playable.

But this is besides the point. Sonic.EXE is as relevant as Slender Man. Meaning he's irrelevant.

Can we get back to talking about Monokuma in the Monokuma thread please?
Hold on a second, I think I can make this on-topic:

Weird question, but is anybody here interested in Danganronpa fangames (or "Fanganronpas", as they're called)? Because I didn't expect Danganronpa of all things to be popular in the fanmade scene thingy.

Kirberus

Smash Apprentice
Hold on a second, I think I can make this on-topic:

Weird question, but is anybody here interested in Danganronpa fangames (or "Fanganronpas", as they're called)? Because I didn't expect Danganronpa of all things to be popular in the fanmade scene thingy.
Danganronpa F is the fangame I've heard of the most, but I've also heard of Super Danganronpa Another 2 and Danganronpa Kill/Cure:
dasd.jpg

Kirberus

Smash Apprentice
Nah, Roblox only recently became popular. It might be awhile before we can even consider it in Smash.
Naw naw naw you don't get what I'm saying...

Sans and Komaeda together can only mean one thing, the sacred phrase.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Forget Monokuma gimmie my boy Grisp

Imagine if instead of putting Monokuma they put in like Monocrow from Super Danganronpa Another 2. How would y'all feel about that?
I think that would require Spike Chunsoft to make some kind of deal with the fangame creator(s), kinda like what Scott Cawthon is doing with that Fazbear Fanverse thing. Which would possibly mean Spike Chunsoft would have to buy at least partial rights to the fangames, assuming it's similar to what Scott is doing.
This cursed piece of art will be canon in Smash:
Oh.

OH!

OOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Olekidsf

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2552-2900-3603
I wonder if them including songs from Advent Children means they'd be willing to put in stuff from the DR3 anime if Monokuma got added. DEAD OR LIE and Kami-iro Awase would be super cool to have, even if they were the only good things about that show.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I don't think you guys are aware of this. But if we get Monokuma, we will likely get a Nagito Mii Fighter costume

I don't think you guys are mentally prepared for Official Sans Komaeda
Would we definitely get a Nagito mii costume?

For Sephiroth we got Barret, Tifa and Aerith, even if you include the chocobo hat that's four potential Danganronpa mii costumes to arrive alongside Monokuma.

I feel like we'd be more likely to get the protagonists....and perhaps bigger characters from the first Danganronpa game.

Makoto and Kyoko feel like very likely. I think a Junko mii costume would also be really likely. Then the fourth one (if there is a fourth one) might be another protagonist or maybe Byakuya.

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
No, Sonic.exe can NOT BE PLAYABLE IN SMASH.

Also, please stop changing the topic of certains thread for absolutely no reason. It's getting really annoying.

I don't think you guys are aware of this. But if we get Monokuma, we will likely get a Nagito Mii Fighter costume

I don't think you guys are mentally prepared for Official Sans Komaeda
Man I'd love for this to happen, but it seems very unlikely. I feel like this will only be possible if we'd get a Mii Costume Round that's literally only Danganronpa characters. Nagito is famous, but I feel like Spike/Nintendo would pick other characters as Mii Costumes before him.

Also, going back to Fanganronpas, are there any that have been released in English? I know a couple of released ones, but they're only in Japanese/Chinese.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord

Also, please stop changing the topic of certains thread for absolutely no reason. It's getting really annoying.
We can discuss about Sonic.EXE's eligibility somewhere else.

Man I'd love for this to happen, but it seems very unlikely. I feel like this will only be possible if we'd get a Mii Costume Round that's literally only Danganronpa characters. Nagito is famous, but I feel like Spike/Nintendo would pick other characters as Mii Costumes before him.
Unfortunately, I doubt Monokuma or any of the Danganronpa protagonists will be in fighters pass 2, but we might get danganronpa spirits or mii costumes.

Kirberus

Smash Apprentice
I wonder if them including songs from Advent Children means they'd be willing to put in stuff from the DR3 anime if Monokuma got added. DEAD OR LIE and Kami-iro Awase would be super cool to have, even if they were the only good things about that show.
God... I need Kami-iro Awase in the game if anime songs are eligible, and if they have a gigantic song dump like Terry did I really, really want to see Old World Order, Doomsday Machine, Dangan Brothers, and Recall the End be in the game. Masafumi Takada did a spectacular job creating music for DR3 and it gets sadly overlooked due to a large portion of the Danganronpa fandom either disliking the anime or don't care enough to watch it.

Also, a rendition of Kami-iro Awase similar to the music box mix would be appreciated:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Also, going back to Fanganronpas, are there any that have been released in English? I know a couple of released ones, but they're only in Japanese/Chinese.
According to Fanganronpa Wiki (yes, there's a wiki), there are at least four English fangames:

• Hyper! Danganronpa H20: Abandon All Hope (Status: Complete)
  • Danganronpa: Kill Cure (Status: Hiatus)
  • Danganronpa: Lapse (Status: In-Progress)
  • Danganronpa V4 Rocky Restarts (Status: In-Progress)

Kirberus

Smash Apprentice
According to Fanganronpa Wiki (yes, there's a wiki), there are at least four English fangames:

• Hyper! Danganronpa H20: Abandon All Hope (Status: Complete)
  • Danganronpa: Kill Cure (Status: Hiatus)
  • Danganronpa: Lapse (Status: In-Progress)
  • Danganronpa V4 Rocky Restarts (Status: In-Progress)
Here's the Fanganronpa Wiki if any of you want to explore it:

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
Browsing through the Fanganronpa Wiki... I'm a bit disappointed. I was honestly expecting more completed (English) games instead of just one, and that one completed one has a really odd looking artstyle. I do like the Kerokuma idea that this game has. Might try it out sometime if I have time. Danganronpa Another and it's sequel also look interesting, despite being made in RPG maker, but they're sadly only in Korean.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Browsing through the Fanganronpa Wiki... I'm a bit disappointed. I was honestly expecting more completed (English) games instead of just one, and that one completed one has a really odd looking artstyle. I do like the Kerokuma idea that this game has. Might try it out sometime if I have time. Danganronpa Another and it's sequel also look interesting, despite being made in RPG maker, but they're sadly only in Korean.
For what it's worth, the Wiki seems to be a bit strict about what can or can't be added. A fangame has to have at least the Prologue and first chapter (Daily Life, Deadly Life, Trial AND Execution) be officially released before the game can be added, and the second chapter has to be officially released before individual articles for that game can be made. Plus, it has to be either a game or some kind of video series: no literature or the like. It could just be that there aren't that many games that reach those demands yet, and even if they do, there's no guarantee it'll be added. There seems to be a lot going on with that Wiki...

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
For what it's worth, the Wiki seems to be a bit strict about what can or can't be added. A fangame has to have at least the Prologue and first chapter (Daily Life, Deadly Life, Trial AND Execution) be officially released before the game can be added, and the second chapter has to be officially released before individual articles for that game can be made. Plus, it has to be either a game or some kind of video series: no literature or the like. It could just be that there aren't that many games that reach those demands yet, and even if they do, there's no guarantee it'll be added. There seems to be a lot going on with that Wiki...
Yeah, I've been reading the guidelines a bit, found this:

danganronpa NO SONIC.PNG

Kinda funny they had to put that there, you'd think a rule like this would be obvious.

Some of the unfinished English Fanganronpas are really interesting, and I can't wait for them to be finished. Really looking forward to those.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I have the barebones of an idea for a danganronpa fangame rolling around in the back of my head. I have some experience with making visual novels in Unity, maybe I should make a go of it.

I'd probably set it in a different country and have most of the students be exchange students. (or like students that have been asked to attend the school in order to help it grow) Go for a more international vibe.

Do most people who make these fangames do it on their own or do they work in teams?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I have the barebones of an idea for a danganronpa fangame rolling around in the back of my head. I have some experience with making visual novels in Unity, maybe I should make a go of it.

I'd probably set it in a different country and have most of the students be exchange students. (or like students that have been asked to attend the school in order to help it grow) Go for a more international vibe.

Do most people who make these fangames do it on their own or do they work in teams?
From what I know, it usually depends on the scope. If it's a simpler game and you know what you're doing, you MIGHT be able to do it on your own. If you've got a bazillion things you want and/or need to get done, well... there's no shame in asking for help.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Playing through the character introduction part of Hyper! Danganronpa H20 at the moment...

The characters seem interesting on first impression but I feel like they went a bit heavy on the "jerk who hates everyone and is fed up all the time" trope. I swear I've met 4 or 5 characters now who just go straight to cursing at you or do nothing but call you annoying.

I'm starting to wonder if the twist is that half the cast has been possessed by the ghost of Junko.

Other than that it's showing promise, it's definitely more elaborate than I was expecting.

Edit: Has anyone played this fangame? The rapid fire part during the trial is giving me trouble. I'm pretty confident I'm giving the correct answers but I feel like there might be some trick questions in it that I'm messing up.

Last edited:

Kirberus

Smash Apprentice
Never really paid attention to the Fanganronpa games and probably never will apart from Kill/Cure., which so far has some fantastic art that does a good job at mimicking Komatsuzaki's art style.

Top Bottom