• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mascot of Despair, Monokuma Punishes the Competition!

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
i'm feeling we get a new spinoff of some sort. Might be Ultra Despair Girls 2 or something else entirely

Danganronpa ports to Switch would also be incredible. Especially if they add some new bonus gifts like Mario's hat or something like that.
Now that you mention it, a Ultra Despair Girls port for the Switch would also be cool. I'm not sure if this game can run on my laptop if I buy it on Steam so having a second option would be really handy.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Copy and paste the time in Google and you should be able to get the time in your timezone.

For me it's at 11:30, which is pretty early for me since I never watch live streams at this time, but I'll make an exception this time.
I just checked, and I got 5:30... in the morning.

Well, at least I'll have something to look forward to when I wake up.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
So, I didn't see it for myself but if what my friends told me were true: it was just Danganronpa ports to IOS and Android devices. Neat I guess but it seems like if there's anything big it's gonna be spoke about in May, according to that tweet anyways,

DanganronpaFanboy

Smash Rookie
Considering November will be the actual 10th birthday of Danganronpa, if a new game (be it a 4th one or UDG2) I think it will be announced and/or release that month (with it being revealed at some earlier news month.) Just my two cents on the whole news thing.

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
Okay, i just finished playing Dongongrampus Too : Arrivederci Misery

And i gotta say, i don't think i've ever been sucked into a game as much as this. Actually, i don't think i've ever been so invested in a story before.
I seriously couldn't stop playing the game, it truly felt like a proper sequel to an already amazing game and i can't wait to see what this franchise has in store for me.

Wow, you're one to hold a grudge, huh? I'll try not to get on your bad side...

Anyway, in case you decide to continue, I just so happened to find this handy little guide on Twitter, in case anybody needed it. Though I could've sworn a few of these weren't actually canon.

I guess the next step for me is Ultra Despair Girls, huh ? I heard the gameplay was very different from what we're used to for the fanchise, i'm excited to see what this is all about.

One final thing, i drew this little Smash x Danganronpa crossover thing, to try my hand at the Danganronpa style (More specifically, the closing argument comic style), thought you guys might like this sort of thing :
Danganroypa 3.png

Alright, well that's all from me for today, i've never been more hyped for a Danganronpa character than i am now, i Hope one gets revealed for the second fighter's pass, or else i'll surely fall into Despair.

Starblax

Smash Apprentice
I recently finished every entry in this series a man, I can't believe I didn't jump on this sooner. Sign me up for the support list! Let's bring some despair into Smash.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
I recently finished every entry in this series a man, I can't believe I didn't jump on this sooner. Sign me up for the support list! Let's bring some despair into Smash.
Welcome to the Remnants of Despair! Glad to have ya and to hear you had quite the good time with the Danganronpa series!

Also it now appears to me we have hit around 50 supporters if my counting is correct! Let us hope we have even more people coming around and say they support the inclusion of The Bear of Despair!

Last edited:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
The RTC thread is currently rating Monokuma, but it's not just Monokuma...

This rating is also for the queen of despair herself appearing with him! Would you want Junko to fight alongside our favorite Despair-Bot? Or would you rather Monokuma fight on his own? Feel free to head on over to the Rate Their Chances thread and make your voices heard!

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
The RTC thread is currently rating Monokuma, but it's not just Monokuma...

This rating is also for the queen of despair herself appearing with him! Would you want Junko to fight alongside our favorite Despair-Bot? Or would you rather Monokuma fight on his own? Feel free to head on over to the Rate Their Chances thread and make your voices heard!
I think I'd prefer if it was mainly Monokuma, maybe with Junko showing up during the final smash and victory screen. Maybe her voice could be heard in one of the taunts?

Though I'm not sure why we're using spoilers when the RTC thread is already spoiling that there's a connection between them....

Not to mention if they were included together in Smash a lot of people in the gaming community would have that connection spoiled to them, so it probably would become less of a spoiler at that point.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Honestly, i think since the first game is 10 years old now, and future games and anime have outright said the forst games twist right away, then i feel its fine to say that stuff about Junko. There is a statute of limitations on spoilers, and as long as you arent outright screaming it, its fine.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
I know I said it in my rating, but the direction the discussion is going prompts me to reiterate. I don't think it's fit to compare the spoilers of Danganronpa with those of The Legend of Zelda or Fire Emblem. While LoZ's or Fire Emblem's spoilers would take a bit away from the game's surprises, they can still be enjoyed as Action-Adventure/RPG games, respectively. As a visual novel, Danganronpa is about the story, making Danganronpa spoilers mean more than a spoiler from one of the aforementioned series. Since Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is a huge game, it, combined with the large audience that would spread it through word of mouth and maybe even the in-game tips section, would be essentially outright screaming it to the largest audience the Ultimate Duo of Despair has ever seen. With that in consideration, I wouldn't be so sure Sakruai would want to spoil such a glaring connection.

Last edited:

GustavoAlves

Smash Cadet
Well, I am currently making a Monokuma mod for Rivals of Aether based on the moveset I planned in this post, so at least you guys can look forward to that if everything goes wrong!

I know there's already a Monokuma in the workshop, but its style does not fit my vision, so I decided to make my own mod (although that is a pretty cool mod, kudos to the creator)

I already made most animations and implemented the basic movement options into the game, as seen here!

The Spears of Gungnir and some other attacks are already implemented as well, but the video does not show them. At least I can say it looks cool.

https://twitter.com/GhostaboArt/status/1244273152886267904

I altered a handful of moves, some because RoA is different from Smash and some because of personal taste. The Parry is going to be Monokuma holding a sword in a defensive position to Rebuttal the opponent (to reference some characters, some murders, and obviously, Rebuttal Showdown). The ftilt is Monokuma hitting the "execution button" with its gavel, causing a minor earth tremble. Maybe there's going to be a finishing move where a chain pulls opponents offscreen. Maybe there's going to be an aerial down special where monokuma dives to the ground to activate a seesaw plank.

Anyway, I will update you guys when it's finished!

Last edited:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Since we were talking about the concept of Junko fighting alongside Monokuma, I thought this might be interesting: the Identity V crossover revealed its characters (i don't play it, but I think they're skins and not actually them but I digress), which are Naegi, Kirigiri, Monokuma and... Junko. Not "Junko", but straight-up mastermind Junko. No hiding the connection with Monokuma at all.

I'm not sure if it's a definitive "yeah Junko can be in Smash", though, since mobile crossovers are often used to get fans of the IP into the mobile game, whereas Smash is meant to be a cross-promotion, inviting the IP's fans to Smash while also acting as an introduction for Smash players to the IP. Maybe that's just me, though. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
If Smash x Danganronpa doesn't happen, maybe we could get another kind of crossover ?...
Here's Nagito in the Puyo Puyo art style (well, kinda, i tried).

On another note, i watched the Danganronpa 3 anime, the final step is playing V3 but it keeps crashing on my computer, i can't complete my Danganronpa marathon because of this :sadeyes:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
If Smash x Danganronpa doesn't happen, maybe we could get another kind of crossover ?...
Here's Nagito in the Puyo Puyo art style (well, kinda, i tried).

On another note, i watched the Danganronpa 3 anime, the final step is playing V3 but it keeps crashing on my computer, i can't complete my Danganronpa marathon because of this :sadeyes:
Yeah, apparently V3 is a bit glitchy, at least on PC. You could always try the good ol' fashioned reset, if all else fails.

Kirberus

Smash Apprentice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZo-CrdxsW4 This is kinda off-topic but in this video if you skip to 4:24 there's a Makoto Naegi in 3D that really makes me wanna see him doing something similar either as an assist trophy or in a final smash.
That model of Makoto is pretty good, we don't see many 3D models of Dangan characters apart from UDG and fan-made material. Danganronpa characters have a rather simple and wacky art style that I think even a Mii Costume could work for Makoto, or any other of the protagonists. However, him being an assist trophy would definitely be something I'd wanna see. I'm still hoping that if a Danganronpa character gets in that it will be Monokuma though, he is the embodiment of Danganronpa after all.

At this point, a Spike Chunsoft character (specifically a Danganronpa character) becoming the next DLC is likely.

Kirberus

Smash Apprentice
Also, I want to add the fact that Monokuma would be put into Smash as a DLC fighter in November or closest to November of either this year or even next year, as that would be Trigger Happy Havoc's anniversary. Maybe even a surprise Switch port of the trilogy if he gets announced, it's possible.

Last edited:

GustavoAlves

Smash Cadet
Ok, so I did finish making Monokuma in Rivals of Aether, but that's not all, because I also made a Sakurai-style presentation! Even if Monokuma does not get into Smash, I hope this video gives you guys a glimpse of what could've been. And at least we have this, I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osAvXnEWd0E

I based the moveset mostly on something I proposed here a while back, and I feel quite proud of the results. Maybe this can serve as a coping mechanism for the "why don't they announce that one character" syndrome. It did for me at least.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Ok, so I did finish making Monokuma in Rivals of Aether, but that's not all, because I also made a Sakurai-style presentation! Even if Monokuma does not get into Smash, I hope this video gives you guys a glimpse of what could've been. And at least we have this, I guess.

I based the moveset mostly on something I proposed here a while back, and I feel quite proud of the results. Maybe this can serve as a coping mechanism for the "why don't they announce that one character" syndrome. It did for me at least.
Looks cool, great job!

What's the modding scene like for Rivals of Aether? I noticed characters like the goose, kirby and.....Ronald McDonald in that trailer.

GustavoAlves

Smash Cadet
Looks cool, great job!

What's the modding scene like for Rivals of Aether? I noticed characters like the goose, kirby and.....Ronald McDonald in that trailer.
Thanks!

And it's surprisingly good. Once you're into it you start to know where to look for good characters. There's even a "curated" system that basically says which workshop characters are good enough for competitive play. Even if you're not into competitive, there are plenty of fun mods that do not rely on being overpowered to be enjoyable. Someone recreated the entire Sans boss fight in a map recently. Cool stuff

Last edited:

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
Looks cool, great job!

I'd say it's pretty great. There's characters for both competitive and casual sides and also some great joke characters. Stages are also getting some spotlight. People release new mods daily so even if there's nothing interesting for you (which I doubt would even happen because there's already so many mods out) you can always expect something new the next day.

Sonsa

Smash Champion

You did all this?? Wow! That's a lot of work and it came out amazing! Like, that stage! Of course I wanted something like that but didn't know the details, but having those portraits circle around the actual fighting area - perfect! That's exactly what it should be, such fun vibes! Yeah, I'd like him in Smash but you know, this is really close enough, great stuff!

Kirberus

Smash Apprentice

This is amazing. I think a lot of the concepts for these moves could be remade into a 3D environment like Smash Bros and they would still look awesome to perform. Especially the truth bullets.

TooBadWaluigiTime

Smash Apprentice
That model of Makoto is pretty good, we don't see many 3D models of Dangan characters apart from UDG and fan-made material. Danganronpa characters have a rather simple and wacky art style that I think even a Mii Costume could work for Makoto, or any other of the protagonists. However, him being an assist trophy would definitely be something I'd wanna see. I'm still hoping that if a Danganronpa character gets in that it will be Monokuma though, he is the embodiment of Danganronpa after all.

At this point, a Spike Chunsoft character (specifically a Danganronpa character) becoming the next DLC is likely.
Do you care to elaborate on that whole "a Spike Chunsoft character being the next DLC is likely" thing? I'm a huge fan of Monokuma being in Smash, but I feel like him getting in it in the first place is really unlikely. The only time I felt slightly confident about Monokuma's chances was during the Great Decomfirm Wave that was before Byleth was revealed. Unless you explained it earlier in the thread, and if that's the case, I made myself look like a total idiot.

I really like this moveset! I really like the Truth Bullet gimmick, using the other mascots as weapons (I laughed out loud when I saw the bair, funny stuff), and I didn't even think about using the Punishment Rocket as a recovery move! While my normal controls for when I play Rivals is a little wonky, namely my tap jump (yes i use tap jump sue me), I can definitely see myself play this Monokuma a few times.

Kirberus

Smash Apprentice
Do you care to elaborate on that whole "a Spike Chunsoft character being the next DLC is likely" thing? I'm a huge fan of Monokuma being in Smash, but I feel like him getting in it in the first place is really unlikely. The only time I felt slightly confident about Monokuma's chances was during the Great Decomfirm Wave that was before Byleth was revealed. Unless you explained it earlier in the thread, and if that's the case, I made myself look like a total idiot.

I really like this moveset! I really like the Truth Bullet gimmick, using the other mascots as weapons (I laughed out loud when I saw the bair, funny stuff), and I didn't even think about using the Punishment Rocket as a recovery move! While my normal controls for when I play Rivals is a little wonky, namely my tap jump (yes i use tap jump sue me), I can definitely see myself play this Monokuma a few times.
Spike Chunsoft has a rather tight relationship with Nintendo. They are the main developers of the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games as well as other Mystery Dungeon games, developed the first Dragon Quest games on the NES and SNES, and released the franchise of Zero Escape on the DS. They also developed Jump Force and that game is getting ported to the Switch. They also have a lot more impact in Japan rather than the West, even if they are still moderately popular in the West. Even though Danganronpa itself isn't on a Nintendo platform yet, Monokuma has (through cameos, like Cloud), and I can still see him getting through due to Spike's ties to Nintendo.

Also there's a fairly short direct today. Make sure to watch out for that.

Last edited:

Kirberus

Smash Apprentice
Haha well that Direct showed us absolutely nothing noteworthy except SMT. It was definitely something mini. Well, maybe another day we get closer to confirmation boys. I'm sure Sakurai still has something to share with us soon considering the deadline for the Fighters Pass is drawing nearer and nearer by the day.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Thanks!

And it's surprisingly good. Once you're into it you start to know where to look for good characters. There's even a "curated" system that basically says which workshop characters are good enough for competitive play. Even if you're not into competitive, there are plenty of fun mods that do not rely on being overpowered to be enjoyable. Someone recreated the entire Sans boss fight in a map recently. Cool stuff
How long did it take you to make the Monokuma fighter for Rivals of Aether? Also what do you need to code in to mod the game? C#?

Last edited:

GustavoAlves

Smash Cadet
How long did it take you to make the Monokuma fighter for Rivals of Aether? Also what do you need to code in to mod the game? C#?
This is my first character, I didn't work on it full time and I made a lot of pauses so it took some months, but it's definitely possible to make a fighter in 1-2 weeks without the end result being super rushed. Technically you code it in GML but there's a very straightforward template to follow (that's why there's sandbert, a character made specifically to be coded over). Personally, I knew VERY little about coding, and I still managed to do it. There's also an official manual and a community that's very beginner-friendly

TooBadWaluigiTime

Smash Apprentice
Spike Chunsoft has a rather tight relationship with Nintendo. They are the main developers of the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games as well as other Mystery Dungeon games, developed the first Dragon Quest games on the NES and SNES, and released the franchise of Zero Escape on the DS. They also developed Jump Force and that game is getting ported to the Switch. They also have a lot more impact in Japan rather than the West, even if they are still moderately popular in the West. Even though Danganronpa itself isn't on a Nintendo platform yet, Monokuma has (through cameos, like Cloud), and I can still see him getting through due to Spike's ties to Nintendo.

Also there's a fairly short direct today. Make sure to watch out for that.
Hmmm... Yeah, that makes sense. I could totally see Monokuma happening with all this in mind, I just don't expect it due to other candidates that might me above a potential Danganronpa rep. But, who knows? Maybe I'm wrong and we end up getting Monokuma. I wouldn't complain.

Speaking of, I figured this would be important to note.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Hmmm... Yeah, that makes sense. I could totally see Monokuma happening with all this in mind, I just don't expect it due to other candidates that might me above a potential Danganronpa rep. But, who knows? Maybe I'm wrong and we end up getting Monokuma. I wouldn't complain.

Wait what? I thought they already were the publishers. What am I missing?

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Just to clarify, this doesn't necessarily mean a new Danganronpa is coming (I saw a few people thinking that). It just means Spike Chunsoft's US division doesn't have to go through any hoops in the way of ports. Although apparently they have been known to censor a few things before.

But hey, chances of a Switch port just went up, if only a little.

Kirberus

Smash Apprentice

This will mean more creative freedom for Spike Chunsoft regarding Danganronpa in the future. NIS America may've even been what was holding Spike back from porting Danganronpa to other consoles, including the Switch, especially since Spike has been rather keen on porting more of their games onto the Switch. Although this happening now wouldn't make a difference for Monokuma's chances for Smash because the DLC fighters have pretty much already been selected. (Unless Spike shared their plans with Nintendo that they would port Danganronpa to Switch beforehand)

However, Monokuma has still appeared on Nintendo platforms before and Sakurai has said he's a fan of Kodaka's work (basically Danganronpa), so I'm still holding out some hope for Monokuma as our next fighter.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Not related to Danganronpa itself, but I guess we can put "influential enough for Nintendo to make an homage event in their OWN mobile game" on the list of reasons why Monokuma should join the battle

Kirberus

Smash Apprentice
Not related to Danganronpa itself, but I guess we can put "influential enough for Nintendo to make an homage event in their OWN mobile game" on the list of reasons why Monokuma should join the battle

Thought this was going to be purely coincidental but holy **** that is literally just Danganronpa 2 but made by Nintendo. Never thought some people at Nintendo were such avid Dangan fans.

Well, at least now we know that Danganronpa does have some sort of impact or acknowledgement over at Nintendo.

Last edited:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Thought this was going to be purely coincidental but holy **** that is literally just Danganronpa 2 but made by Nintendo. Never thought some people at Nintendo were such avid Dangan fans.

Well, at least now we know that Danganronpa does have some sort of impact or acknowledgement over at Nintendo.
I'd say it's more like DR2's setting with DR3 Future's rules ("kill someone else in hopes that it'll stop anyone else from dying tomorrow"). Still a bunch of Danganronpa nonetheless. All you have to do is replace that MonoMunna-looking creature with the real Monokuma!

Another thing, this confirms absolutely nothing but I wanted to point out this funny coincidence. Recently, Otemoto Games announced a card game, Danganronpa: Despair Love Letter, reusing art from the first game.

It had a rather familiar looking envelope next to Monokuma on the box art...

https://twitter.com/danganronpawiki/status/1287700909498269700

Me comparing what I put out to this:

For real, though, part of me wants to argue that it's Smash being influential with the whole "invitation with a stylized red seal" thing, but I have no truth bullets evidence for it.

Top Bottom