• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mascot of Despair, Monokuma Punishes the Competition!

GustavoAlves

Smash Cadet
I just started playing the first game.

I have this feeling my favorite character's going to die. Sweet, innocent characters always do.
Your first mistake was picking a favorite, things don't end well when you do

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
Was it Sayaka?

Who's your favorite now?
No, my favorite from the beginning was

Chihiro.

I caught the killer, but seriously, why did they have to die?

It hurts even more because, well.

I too suffer from a massive inferiority complex, in addition to displaying symptoms of gender dysphoria. I'm confused about myself - my sexuality, my identity, my sense of self - and Chihiro's resolve to become stronger is a goal I've been shooting for for years. To see their life so tragically cut short... it really hurt me.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
No, my favorite from the beginning was

Chihiro.

I caught the killer, but seriously, why did they have to die?

It hurts even more because, well.

I too suffer from a massive inferiority complex, in addition to displaying symptoms of gender dysphoria. I'm confused about myself - my sexuality, my identity, my sense of self - and Chihiro's resolve to become stronger is a goal I've been shooting for for years. To see their life so tragically cut short... it really hurt me.
Oh yeah. That one was rough for both the victim and the killer.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Oh damn.

My favorites were
Kiyotaka, Celeste, and Yasuhiro... One of them lived!

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Chihiro's title should be "Ultimate Sweetheart."
I don't know if this is good news or bad news, but Chihiro isn't the only one in the series qualified to be "Ultimate Sweetheart"...

BTW, the person who made the "leak" apparently confessed recently. Didn't see their name, though.

Kikio4546

Smash Cadet
How would Toxtricity's forms work? Would Amped and Low Key forms be alt costumes?

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
I actually don't want Monokuma in Smash after finding out more about him - or at least, not as a fighter. As a spirit or assist trophy, perhaps.

Also... honestly, can we get Danganronpa on Switch before any of that?

Last edited:

Kikio4546

Smash Cadet
is it possible for DLC assist trophies to be a thing? Monokuma could work like a miniature final smash or something

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
I've almost finished playing through the main story of the first game, and all I can say is... **** the mastermind. What an awful person to have done that to them.

I almost broke down in the morgue. None of them - not a single one - deserved to be forced into this life. Ok, maybe Genocide Jack, but that's not Toko's fault, really... and even much as I hate Hifumi, he didn't deserve to die over any of this.

Either way, Junko's a real *****. I can't even hate her like I hate a character like Azula from The Last Airbender - at least Azula was a villain I liked despising. Junko, on the other hand... She brought people who she claimed to care for and let them die for her sick fetish.

Then there's Monokuma... he just makes it all the worse. Not only was it not entertaining enough for her to have her "friends" killed - she had to mock them with this little ****?!

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I've almost finished playing through the main story of the first game, and all I can say is... **** the mastermind. What an awful person to have done that to them.

I almost broke down in the morgue. None of them - not a single one - deserved to be forced into this life. Ok, maybe Genocide Jack, but that's not Toko's fault, really... and even much as I hate Hifumi, he didn't deserve to die over any of this.

Either way, Junko's a real *****. I can't even hate her like I hate a character like Azula from The Last Airbender - at least Azula was a villain I liked despising. Junko, on the other hand... She brought people who she claimed to care for and let them die for her sick fetish.

Then there's Monokuma... he just makes it all the worse. Not only was it not entertaining enough for her to have her "friends" killed - she had to mock them with this little ****?!
Well, aside from... what you just said, what are your overall thoughts about the game? Since you're close to done, apparently.

cosmicB

Smash Ace

If you hate Junko now,
just wait until you get to Danganronpa 3 (the anime which is part prequel, not V3).

Also, you should read Danganronpa Zero if you want to learn more. Like with motivations and stuff. Good to at least have read a summary by the time you get to 3.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
Well, aside from... what you just said, what are your overall thoughts about the game? Since you're close to done, apparently.
Aside from my favorite character's untimely demise, I enjoy... most of it. I like about half of the trial's mechanics.

Having to remember I can absorb statements, how to shoot white noise, Hangman's Gambit, and Bullet Time Battles, which they just keep adding to is a little much. Frankly, I'd rather it just be basic Non-Stop Debates and basic Bullet Time Battles.

The school is... boring. Very boring. Music's pretty good though.

Though I honestly don't know if I'll play more of the series. I know the ***** is involved at least partially in other games' plots, and I can't forgive her for what she did.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Aside from my favorite character's untimely demise, I enjoy... most of it. I like about half of the trial's mechanics.

Having to remember I can absorb statements, how to shoot white noise, Hangman's Gambit, and Bullet Time Battles, which they just keep adding to is a little much. Frankly, I'd rather it just be basic Non-Stop Debates and basic Bullet Time Battles.

The school is... boring. Very boring. Music's pretty good though.

Though I honestly don't know if I'll play more of the series. I know the ***** is involved at least partially in other games' plots, and I can't forgive her for what she did.
Wow, you're one to hold a grudge, huh? I'll try not to get on your bad side...

Anyway, in case you decide to continue, I just so happened to find this handy little guide on Twitter, in case anybody needed it. Though I could've sworn a few of these weren't actually canon.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989

Anyway, in case you decide to continue, I just so happened to find this handy little guide on Twitter, in case anybody needed it. Though I could've sworn a few of these weren't actually canon.

Danganronpa Togami and Danganronpa IF are indeed non-canon material. Dunno about the Naegi short stoy though. Everything else listed though is indeed canon.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium

They didn't deserve what they got. None of them. Especially my favorite (call it bias all you want).

With as much media as I've consumed, I'm surprised to say... no fictional character's death hit me as hard as (see spoiler). I've never had to watch my favorite character die... at least, in such a brutal fashion. Yes, there are characters I loved who have died, but... they were so sweet... and they were strong, no matter what they think.

Chihiro.

...why can't school mode just be a normal dating sim? Why is there the... rest of it. JUST LET ME HANG OUT WITH MY CLASSMATES :mad088:

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
They didn't deserve what they got. None of them. Especially my favorite (call it bias all you want).

With as much media as I've consumed, I'm surprised to say... no fictional character's death hit me as hard as (see spoiler). I've never had to watch my favorite character die... at least, in such a brutal fashion. Yes, there are characters I loved who have died, but... they were so sweet... and they were strong, no matter what they think.

Chihiro.

...why can't school mode just be a normal dating sim? Why is there the... rest of it. JUST LET ME HANG OUT WITH MY CLASSMATES :mad088:
That's the point, Danganronpa at its most basic is a story of hope vs despair. Doesn't matter if they didn't deserve it, serves the function of the antagonist and the story to induce despair to the world and the player with Naegi and the survivors fighting that despair with keeping hope alive and to the world and the player.

But yeah... school mode... first games don't really... do it the best. V3 might have the best one in all honesty and the other mode it has... except in the case of a singular character they didn't bother making new sprites for.

That said, you might like DR2 as its probably the "happiest" game in the series, further enhanced by DR3 (those of watched it know why when I say that). Potentially Danganronpa IF as well as its an alternative take on DR1, though it is a short light novel and something you get by playing DR2.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
That's the point, Danganronpa at its most basic is a story of hope vs despair. Doesn't matter if they didn't deserve it, serves the function of the antagonist and the story to induce despair to the world and the player with Naegi and the survivors fighting that despair with keeping hope alive and to the world and the player.

But yeah... school mode... first games don't really... do it the best. V3 might have the best one in all honesty and the other mode it has... except in the case of a singular character they didn't bother making new sprites for.

That said, you might like DR2 as its probably the "happiest" game in the series, further enhanced by DR3 (those of watched it know why when I say that). Potentially Danganronpa IF as well as its an alternative take on DR1, though it is a short light novel and something you get by playing DR2.
I mean, I understand the point. I get it. But that doesn't mean I have to like the antagonist whose actions led to the deaths of so many innocents.

After finishing it, I hate the ***** even more, because of how they fetishize despair. They ****ing got off to the fact that all of them died. JESUS CHRIST, that's sick.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
I mean, I understand the point. I get it. But that doesn't mean I have to like the antagonist whose actions led to the deaths of so many innocents.

After finishing it, I hate the ***** even more, because of how they fetishize despair. They ****ing got off to the fact that all of them died. JESUS CHRIST, that's sick.
Oh yeah, I'm not saying you got to like em. They're made to be an disliked villain with classic villain: easy to understand, simple motivations like Bowser or Ganondorf but cranked up to 11. That said, I got a feeling if you hate them... if you ever watch Fate/ or play the original visual novel (whether it be the OG or Realta Nua) you'd hate the main villain of most of the routes even more or as much as the antagonist of DR.

I'm just saying they do their job as main antagonist really well for the story.

Last edited:

cosmicB

Smash Ace
There's a little bit more to it than that. That's why I say read Zero and (later on) watch 3.

A truly hateable antagonist, but honestly one of the most fascinating ones period imo (though 3 does ruin that a tiny bit). Someone that you can both hate with every fiber of your being while also having a morbid curiousity about are imo some of the best indications of a good antagonist.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Zero honestly makes the antagonist way better
because
Literally the only reason she's evil is because her analyst talent makes everything that isn't despair predictable and boring. It honestly makes her a really interesting chararcter because she COULD have been a good person... but she got the talent that she did, which screwed her over.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
Zero honestly makes the antagonist way better
because
Literally the only reason she's evil is because her analyst talent makes everything that isn't despair predictable and boring. It honestly makes her a really interesting chararcter because she COULD have been a good person... but she got the talent that she did, which screwed her over.
Sounds to me like an excuse.

No matter how good you are at analyzing something, you can't find out the details of everyone else's lives. If she instead thought about someone other than herself, her life could have easily been fulfilled by making real friends.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Sounds to me like an excuse.

No matter how good you are at analyzing something, you can't find out the details of everyone else's lives. If she instead thought about someone other than herself, her life could have easily been fulfilled by making real friends.
It's an excuse in a sense, but a lot of context is missed if you don't actually read/watch this material that goes more in-depth.

Her analytical ability is basically a super-power that lets her predict the future. Despair is basically chaos incarnate to her, which is far less predictable. It's not that she's a sociopath without empathy, she actually has a ton of empathy and that allows her to feel the intense pain of others. That pain is what keeps her going because just making friends normally doesn't do it for her. She wants to cause total suffering to her friends and Zero basically indicates that anything else is incompatible with her personality if she actually wants to be happy. It's impossible for her to feel fulfilled even if she had a lot of great normal friends unless she intentionally crippled herself mentally (that's another aspect of Zero that I won't spoil, though this discussion kind of spoils it in general).

NONE of this justifies her actions and I wanted to strangle her after a certain point in Danganronpa 3, but again, I think that's what makes her a good antagonist. She has an interesting explanation behind her actions, but NOT a justification, which I feel is where a lot of writers fail when it comes to villains. Kodaka, the main writer of the entire series, even flat out said "yeah, you're not getting a tragic backstory here. Girl is evil!" She was created to be hated while also, ironically enough, analyzed.

Last edited:

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Danganronpa Zero is really good.

Also Danganronpa 3 is... bad. I really hate Despair Arc for SO much wasted potential and Future Arc had a lot of wasted potential as well. It just feels... lame as a finale
AND DON'T GET ME STARTED ON KYOKO'S TREATMENT. THEY FRIDGE HER, AND THEN IT'S REVEALED THAT PSYCH, SHE DIDN'T DIE! IF YOU'RE GOING TO KILL SOMEONE, THEN ACTUALLY DO IT. SERIOUSLY, HOW DID YOU SCREW THIS UP SO BADLY.

Honestly V3 is soooo much better.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Danganronpa Zero is really good.

Also Danganronpa 3 is... bad. I really hate Despair Arc for SO much wasted potential and Future Arc had a lot of wasted potential as well. It just feels... lame as a finale
AND DON'T GET ME STARTED ON KYOKO'S TREATMENT. THEY FRIDGE HER, AND THEN IT'S REVEALED THAT PSYCH, SHE DIDN'T DIE! IF YOU'RE GOING TO KILL SOMEONE, THEN ACTUALLY DO IT. SERIOUSLY, HOW DID YOU SCREW THIS UP SO BADLY.

Honestly V3 is soooo much better.
And because of accidental airing of a blooper take, we know even her voice actress in 3 was like "what the ****? how and why am I still alive?

Oh yeah, for those wondering why 3 was an anime instead of a game... Kodaka let empathy get the best of him and said "Naegi went through too much already, I'm going to give him kind of a break." Which I do think hampered the story telling for 3 a bit, but also the backstory told in the despair arc wouldn't exactly be possible to tell in a proper DR game so... shrug. I do admit though I liked some aspects and characters of 3.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Weird question: has there always been an overlap between Persona and Danganronpa fans? I saw a few posts about it on Twitter (though they were talking about toxic Persona fans "heading over to Danganronpa", so take that as you will), and I was wondering if that was always a thing. It would help explain the sudden spike in popularity, at least.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Weird question: has there always been an overlap between Persona and Danganronpa fans? I saw a few posts about it on Twitter (though they were talking about toxic Persona fans "heading over to Danganronpa", so take that as you will), and I was wondering if that was always a thing. It would help explain the sudden spike in popularity, at least.
It would make sense, given how similar the premises are. The characters are all high school students, in a high school environment, doing very un-school-like things. Plus they both have an emphasis on building relationships, managing your free time, and dark tones.

Now that I think about it all of my friends who are Danganronpa fans are also Persona 5 fans.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
So we're going to get a livestream tomorrow going into some detail about Spike Chunsoft's plans for Danganronpa's 10th Anniversary. Anybody have any bets on what they'll show in particular?

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
So we're going to get a livestream tomorrow going into some detail about Spike Chunsoft's plans for Danganronpa's 10th Anniversary. Anybody have any bets on what they'll show in particular?
What time are they streaming and where?

Also, I'm gonna guess it's a Switch port and something else.

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
The article says 18:30 JST. I... don't know what that means for us.
Copy and paste the time in Google and you should be able to get the time in your timezone.

For me it's at 11:30, which is pretty early for me since I never watch live streams at this time, but I'll make an exception this time.

Top Bottom