• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mascot of Despair, Monokuma Punishes the Competition!

Korar

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5170-5706-7228
Okay, with the mystery dungeon remake and stuff clearly showing that spike chunsoft and nintendo are still going strong...

Why isn't danganronpa on the switch yet, spike? C'mooooon :(

D

Deleted member

Okay, with the mystery dungeon remake and stuff clearly showing that spike chunsoft and nintendo are still going strong...

Why isn't danganronpa on the switch yet, spike? C'mooooon :(
I could see Danganropa ports being a Direct reveal, ngl.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
In hindsight, I can’t believe I actually argued in favor of Makoto getting in before Monokuma, lol.

Sans and Heihachi being chosen as Mii Costumes before the protagonists in the past should’ve signified icons of a series very likely are the first character under consideration.

Plus, Monokuma was actually on a Nintendo console a couple of times. So he technically qualifies if that got Cloud in the game.

Will take the L on that one.

Last edited:

GustavoAlves

Smash Cadet
Those past few days have given us some interesting news that lower other characters' chances, which by consequence increase Monokuma's:

- There are not 1, not 5, but 6 new fighters coming in the next Fighters Pass
- Doomguy has been basically deconfirmed by the series director itself (link here)
- The new Mii Costumes are mostly from Ubisoft, and that would usually happen alongside the release of an Ubisoft character. And considering the next DLC fighters have been decided already... yeah, bad news for Rayman fans.
- But Astral Chain fans somehow have it worse. Astral Chain has been given a regular Spirit Event, and since every DLC has its own Spirit Board, the chances of any fighter representation just plummeted.
- On a similar note to Rayman, there are Capcom Mii Costumes in the next update in the form of Megaman ones, which would be bad for Phoenix Wright/Amaterasu/Dante. However, all of them were already in SSB4 and they mostly feel like filling empty space if you ask me.

Some of those news make me sad, but who knows whatever goes on both Nintendo and Sakurai's minds. I remember Grant Kirkhope telling a fan to not count on Banjo in Smash just a few months before its reveal.
Heck, there are some people saying that the Ubisoft Mii Costumes actually increase Rayman's chances.
Whether those news end up being relevant or just elaborate bluffs, they are atill interesting to note.

Last edited:

Voodoo7995

Smash Journeyman
I support, but with some changes...
His Side-Special should be him using his hammer to spin around, if it isn't the ball thing...

And his Final Smash, i have an awesome idea for that:
Monukuma throws his Chain forward, and if it hits anyone, they are all thrown into a cage, and monokuma plops a giant hammer down on a button.
Then a baseball machine turns on, smacking a hundred baseballs into the captured fighters.
Obviously, there's no blood.
Also, it immediately kills them if they are over 150%, or under 45hp in stamina battles.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I always thought as a pipe dream, using monokuma to end the second pass and begin a hypothetical third one would be amazing. He could gloat about the fanbases despair, how no more smash characters will make it in and then

OBJECTION

(well it doesn't have to be Phoenix but that would be a bonus lmao)

GustavoAlves

Smash Cadet
I support, but with some changes...
His Side-Special should be him using his hammer to spin around, if it isn't the ball thing...

And his Final Smash, i have an awesome idea for that:
Monukuma throws his Chain forward, and if it hits anyone, they are all thrown into a cage, and monokuma plops a giant hammer down on a button.
Then a baseball machine turns on, smacking a hundred baseballs into the captured fighters.
Obviously, there's no blood.
Also, it immediately kills them if they are over 150%, or under 45hp in stamina battles.
My moveset proposal actually has a similar Final Smash! You can check it here:

I have spent more time than I am willing to admit planning a moveset for this damn bear. I intended to make a full thread regarding him, but I saw this existed and I'm afraid duplicates aren't allowed, so here's my take on Monokuma's Moveset, which is quite different from the ones I saw beforehand. Bear (ha) in mind that I wrote this without reading this thread, so there might be things you already discussed in there.

I imagined the moveset in a way which would be spoiler-free to those who don't know the franchise, but I can't explain it in a spoiler-free way. But if you're already a fan or you just don't care, here you go!

WARNING: Spoilers for EVERY Danganronpa media below.

I tried to implement a moveset full of (spoilery) nods, but that also is tricky to deal with, in a way that figuring out Monokuma is like solving a mystery, since this is a key aspect of the source games. This also works based on the fact that Monokuma is annoying in-universe as well.
Monokuma has a certain "gimmick" on its moveset, so I will be skipping the moves that use it, and explain them later.

Entrance: Monokuma pops from the ground exactly like he does when introducing himself in DR1/2, most commonly before giving out motives in DR1.

Special Attacks

Neutral Special - "Truth Bullet". Monokuma charges and shoots a Truth Bullet at the opponent, while yelling variations of "No, that's wrong!". Each bullet can have a random word written on it like "despair", "hope", "future", etc. Can be stored. BONUS: Kirby will yell the classic sentence.
Up Special - "Blast Off!", Monokuma rides the rocket that is used on Jin's/Kaito's Punishment, causing damage on its way, and then crash-landing it. The trajectory would be similar to Dedede's Up B. Monokuma may exit the rocket mid-tragectory (going free-fall) or not, but if he doesn't, the impact causes extra damage, similar to Villager's Lloyd Rocket. An ideal move for tricking the opponent.
Side Special - "Monokubs". Monokuma launches a random Monokub. While the special button is pressed, Monokuma holds a button and the Monokub keeps walking. When the player lets go of the buttom, Monokuma presses his buttom and explodes the Monokub. Reflects the very "caring" nature of Monokuma shown thoughout DRV3.
Down Special - Part of the gimmick. I'll explain it later.

Smash Attacks

Up Smash - Spears of Gungnir. Doesn't have great launching power, but cause more damage than average. Has a sweetspot which can pin the opponents. Used in Junko/Mukuro's murder. This is easiest attack to imagine if you know the source.
Side Smash - Part of the gimmick. I'll explain it later.
Down Smash - Flamethrower - Monokuma used a flamethrower to jump and blast flames below him, covering a big horizontal range. Used in Gonta's Punishment, and also somewhat references Celes' Punishment.

Tilt Attacks

Jab - Regular punches that end in the uppercut used agains Monomi.
Up Tilt - MEAT THE BONE ON. Monokuma gets down and points a skewer upwards, similar to how Teruteru kills the Ultimate Imposter
Side Tilt - Monokuma uses a salmon as a punching bag, which can hit opponents. References a scene in the anime.
Down Tilt - Monokuma picks up the Monokuma File, similar to Villager's Down Tilt, but with less damage/knockback and covering a bigger area.

Aerials

Neutral Air - Monokuma extends his claws to keep opponents away. I'm not sure if Monokuma should spin while doing so or not.
Up Air - Monokuma just swings a salmon above him.
Forward Air - Monokuma blasts the bazooka used in the fight against Akane/Nekomaru in DR2, covering a short area and launching him backwards.
Back Air - Monokuma grabs Monomi her by her feet and spins her, hitting opponents. References any interaction between the two of them in DR2.
Down Air - Part of the gimmick, i'll explain it later.

Grab moves

Grab - Monokuma launches a claw that can grab the opponent and bring it to him, similar to how Leon's/Teruteru's/Kaede's Punishment begun. Can grab ledges, but can't damage opponents mid-air.
Pummel - Monokuma repeatedly used his gavel agains the poor opponent's head.
Up Throw - Monokuma flings his arms upwards and throws the opponent, similar to a sprite where he is yelling and doing a similar pose.
Forward Throw - Monokuma swings a Truth Blade, launching the opponent.
Back Throw - The suplex Monomi repeatedly used on him when trying to kill him.
Down Throw - Smoke rises from the ground as Monokuma fights the opponent in a comic manner (like he did with Monomi many times), launching him afterwards.

Movement stuff

Run animation - The same goofy one from Ultra Despair Girls. Not very fast.
Dash Attack - A slash attack with his claws.

Final Smash

It's Punishment Time!
Monokuma uses his gavel to hit a bell, beggining Punishment time. He then disappears, and the screen gets covered by the same UI as the Nonstop Debate segments. The player can move a reticle during a select time (4 seconds?) and shoot players. After the time runs out, every player that got shot gets dragged away by a chain and ends up in Naegi/Kirigiri's Punishment, except the fighters are not on a chair, just layed down until they are crushed. Don't worry, they don't die, they only get comically launched afterwards.

This could be replaced by any other punishment, including an original one, but I tried to include the most iconic and spoiler-free in the franchise (because we can't determine who gets executed from this scenery alone).

Gimmick: The Murder Weapons

In Monokuma's Down Special, Monokuma can select between 5 truth bullets, in a menu similar to the one just before a Nonstop Debates.
But instead of selecting "evidence", the player can choose between 5 murder weapons, each of them being represented by a single command (up, down, left, right or Nothing), and having different properties. Besides that, the other players won't know what weapon was selected until Monokuma uses it.
Those weapons affect Monokuma's Forward Smash and Down Aerial. In the case of the Down Aerial, Monokuma launches itself downwards while holding said weapon.
Without further delay, the weapons are:

- Baseball Bat. Used in Mahiru's murder, also referencing Leon's Punishment. Has a bigger launch rate.
- Hammer. NOT used in Mechamaru's Murder. Also references Hifumi's/Taka's murder. Does more damage to shields, despite the lower range. Spikes if used in the Down Aerial.
- Shot Put Ball. Used in Rantaro's murder. Is thrown, rather than swung. Can be a edgeguarding tool. Is not thrown on the down aerial.
- Wooden Plank. Used in Angie's/Tenko's/Ryoma's murder. Has a bigger range. Also includes seesaw jokes in Smash.
- Bomb. Not a weapon per se, but makes Monokuma self-destruct, with a little alarm ringing beforehand. References every instance of him blowing up, and kind of references Keebo's death in DRV3. Also kind of references every instance where there was no murder, but a suicide.

Taunts

Down Taunt - Monokuma charges energy like he does in 2-6 before transforming into Giga Junko.
Side Taunt - Monokuma unleashes his classic laughter (Upupupu/Puhuhuhu) while covering his mouth.
Up Taunt - The dance he does in the anime opening.

Victory Animations

Monokuma sitting on a chair while holding a beverage, tauntingly looking at the screen, like he appears in most games.
Monokuma Losing His **** from laughing too hard, similar to Wario.
Smoke covering the screen, then revealing Monokuma in its Junko pose (without Junko, obviously)

Alternate colors

Shirokuma
Kurokuma
Conductor Monokuma (the outfit he used in Kaede's Punishment)
Worker Monokuma (the outfit he used in Alter Ego's Punishment. It is also used in V3 when revealing that the motive video for Ryoma is empty)
Beach Monokuma (the outfit used in promotional material for DR2)
Teacher Monokuma (the outfit used in Naegi's/Kirigiri's Punishment)
Alter-Ego Monokuma (similar to the Hidden Monokumas of 2-6, also paying homage to Alter Ego Chihiro/Junko/Gonta)

No Monokubs/Monomi here, since they are a part of the moveset.

Dizzy Animation: Monokuma just sits and moves his head, identical to how he looks after spinning too much in Mondo's Punishment.

Kirby: When Kirby inhales Monokuma, he basically becames Ball Monokuma from Ultra Despair Girls, which is hilarious.

What about the stage?
That's a given: The Trial Ground!
The Trial Ground is the place in which the class trials are held. It is located underground, and students can access it via a long elevator, which is sure to have less people on the way back up.
In the Trial Ground, every living student stays in its designated place, forming a circle, making it appropriate for heated debates with high stakes, while Monokuma stays in a throne and enjoys the bickering... unless he sleeps or gets distracted during the whole thing, which has happened before.

This location has many incarnations, but the most likely candidates are the first incarnations from the three main games.

What could be done for the Reveal Trailer?
Many things, actually. It can be a punishment with a random Smash character that reveals Monokuma at the end. It can be a long animated sequence that introduces Phoenix Wright (and maybe Professor Layton) as well without revealing it as Smash Bros until the very end. And, in the best-case scenario...it can be both. The possibilites are endless.
The gameplay sequence of the trailer can have random Danganronpa characters commenting the fact that Monokuma is playable and telling the other fighters to don't lose hope. Now that would be cool. Yeah.

Last edited:

Voodoo7995

Smash Journeyman
My moveset proposal actually has a similar Final Smash! You can check it here:
I imagine it like this... (My trailer idea):

Cross Flare

We open on a strange (but familer) school. The camera moves inside the school to a room reminiscent of a Courtroom.
Around the room stand Solid Snake, Mario, Charizard, Lucina, & Bayonetta. The chair in the front of the room is empty. A picture on the wall shows paintings of everyone in the room, including ones of Sonic, Bowser, & Shulk, which have been crossed out.
Then suddenly, Mario points out the true evil in the room. The empty chair. Everyone else looks around, confused, but Mario is reluctant.
A speaker goes off, admitting that he was correct. Out from behind the chair pops a small canon that shoots out Monokuma.
He then slams his hammer onto a button that activates the splash screen

Monokuma Brings the Despair

Then the screen cuts to gameplay for 20 seconds or so... Then it cuts back to the room, and Monokuma laughs as he slams his hammer down again and chains lock around Bayonetta & Charizard, as his Final Smash is revealed.

before the trailer ends, we see him doing his iconic laugh before he stares directly into the camera as it goes black

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Thought of something recently that could very well actually help Monokumas chances.

Hypothetically speaking, if Sol Badguy is in, and the Spirit event for River City really did hint at negotiations, I highly advise to look out for a Mystery Dungeon DX Spirit event when it gets released in March.

The Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series is actually a collab/spinoff between Pokemon, and one of Spikes own IPs, Mystery Dungeon.

I believe that they would definitely have to go to Spike for that, all things considered. Again, this is only if Sol Badguy gets in, but I firmly believe a Mystery Dungeon Spirit event could help Monokumas chances tremendously if Sol or Ragna is in.

Last edited:

DanganronpaFanboy

Smash Rookie
I would love for Monokuma's stage to do the thing Joker's does, i.e. be the trial grounds but if the music is from DR1, have it be the first trial grounds, if its from SDR2, have it be that trial grounds, and so on. If they had DR:AE music, the back-round could be the SDR2 trial grounds or they could make a special DR:AE setting. Just throwing out ideas. Oh also, for NDRV3, I would need a debate scrum stage hazard.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
There is something that I am very honestly surprised is completely ignored when discussing Monokumas chances from both supporters and detractors alike.

Spike as a company has been supporting (both developing and publishing) Nintendo systems since the Famicom days. This even includes developing (though published by Square obviously) the first 5 Dragon Quest games. And given the fact that the Mystery Dungeon remake is coning soon (a full on collab btw), it seems like that isn’t slowing down anytime soon.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spike_Chunsoft

Not saying this suddenly makes him very likely, but it is interesting to take into consideration. This, and Sakurais letter to Kodaka honestly remind me of the situation Joker was in before the 2018 VGAs.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
So I just now realized that this year marks the 10th Anniversery of Danganronpa. I don't think that affects the chances of Danganronpa in Smash, but what do you guys think about us posaibly getting something new from the franchise?

cosmicB

Smash Ace
So I just now realized that this year marks the 10th Anniversery of Danganronpa. I don't think that affects the chances of Danganronpa in Smash, but what do you guys think about us posaibly getting something new from the franchise?
We already know that for a fact.

https://www.siliconera.com/danganro...-plans-and-more-mentioned-in-new-years-cards/

Spike Chunsoft: We’re preparing many projects for Danganronpa‘s 10th anniversary.
We don't know what exactly those projects are of course. They could be ports of old games for all we know, though that would be pretty neat too if we got the whole franchise on Switch.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
NintenZ NintenZ was playing Danganronpa: Ultra Despair Girls earlier this month, occasionally showing progress on Twitter. One tweet he made yesterday an interesting point for a Danganronpa rep for Smash:
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Don’t worry, I’m not here to ruin anyone’s dreams of Monokuma.
Even if it's not Monokuma, I will accept any Danganronpa character in smash as a victory.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I'm assuming that's Monokuma's Japanese VA? If so, we should probably keep an eye on it, just in case. Then again, the Elma support thread is holding out on a similar VA situation...
If there is any brightside, it was stated that this was for Monokuma specifically.

And we already know the Danganronpa series is 100% over.

I honestly am very curious on what it is.

Last edited:

StriderX

Smash Rookie
As much as I'd want Monokuma and even though he's the most iconic, I don't think he's getting into Smash alone. There's no way Nintendo would let an Antagonist represent a whole series and there's no way that it's getting 2 character slots. So, in MY opinion the best way would be to make a character named "Makoto & Monokuma" as a single character like Banjo Kazooie where you control Makoto with Monokuma on his shoulders. This is also really good cause that way they could combine their limited moveset into a full set with Makoto using his truth bullets and Monokuma just using a bunch of weapons. Also the different colors could be different colors for both Makoto and Monokuma like for example Hajime and Monomi and Shuichi and any of the Monokubs.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
As much as I'd want Monokuma and even though he's the most iconic, I don't think he's getting into Smash alone. There's no way Nintendo would let an Antagonist represent a whole series and there's no way that it's getting 2 character slots. So, in MY opinion the best way would be to make a character named "Makoto & Monokuma" as a single character like Banjo Kazooie where you control Makoto with Monokuma on his shoulders. This is also really good cause that way they could combine their limited moveset into a full set with Makoto using his truth bullets and Monokuma just using a bunch of weapons. Also the different colors could be different colors for both Makoto and Monokuma like for example Hajime and Monomi and Shuichi and any of the Monokubs.
Forgive me if I come off as rude, but I don't think that... makes sense? I mean, I want Monokuma, and I have warmed up to the idea of a "Danganronpa Protagonist" a la Hero (I'm sure Sakurai could make it work), but why would they be working together? It would be fine if it was one of the masterminds with Monokuma, but the protagonist? I'm not too sure. Again, sorry if this came off as rude.

StriderX

Smash Rookie
Forgive me if I come off as rude, but I don't think that... makes sense? I mean, I want Monokuma, and I have warmed up to the idea of a "Danganronpa Protagonist" a la Hero (I'm sure Sakurai could make it work), but why would they be working together? It would be fine if it was one of the masterminds with Monokuma, but the protagonist? I'm not too sure. Again, sorry if this came off as rude.
The Mastermind + Monokuma isn't gonna work. Way too spoilery that would completely ruin the game for new fans. And I agree them cooperating doesn't make much sense but I think of it more as them putting aside their differences to deal with the other threats in the roster. I can especially see Monokuma choosing to work with Makoto to bring despair to everyone else. This could also make them unique compared to the other 2 in 1 fighters like Banjo Kazooie and Duck Hunt. I could see Makoto's Luck/Unluckyness play a factor in his moveset as their whole moveset could be them attacking eachother and instead hitting the other fighters.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Guys, I just realized something.
The Monokuma thing could be for a Rantaro spin-off. They said they wanted to make it, after all!

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Guys, I just realized something.
The Monokuma thing could be for a Rantaro spin-off. They said they wanted to make it, after all!
You wouldn't happen to have a source for that, would you? Not trying to doubt you or anything, I just want to be sure.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Before anyone says anything about it, that leak of a Junko and Monokuma render is probably fake due to inconsistencies with Junko's design, not counting the obvious censoring she'd be given.

Aka, hair not looking as detailed as it is on other smash fighters, the overly blue shading of her eyes when she has a more teal color, and the black monokuma hairclip being very poor looking and not matching the actual design of said hairclip.

Also, its just my opinion that the face looks wrong, but that may be me being used to UDG's look on the 3D models and us not really have an... HD console-graphic looking of em.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Before anyone says anything about it, that leak of a Junko and Monokuma render is probably fake due to inconsistencies with Junko's design, not counting the obvious censoring she'd be given.

Aka, hair not looking as detailed as it is on other smash fighters, the overly blue shading of her eyes when she has a more teal color, and the black monokuma hairclip being very poor looking and not matching the actual design of said hairclip.

Also, its just my opinion that the face looks wrong, but that may be me being used to UDG's look on the 3D models and us not really have an... HD console-graphic looking of em.
Well, at least people are talking about the possibility now. Keep in mind, a lot of people didn't realise they wanted Ryu Hayabusa until AFTER he started showing up in leaks. Now he's one of the most-requested characters. If we're lucky, we can gain more support the same way.

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403

Imagine all the memes people would make with the Nagito and Sans costumes if this were actually real.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Imagine all the memes people would make with the Nagito and Sans costumes if this were actually real.
This. This is cursed. I hate and love it at the same time.

Well, at least people are talking about the possibility now. Keep in mind, a lot of people didn't realise they wanted Ryu Hayabusa until AFTER he started showing up in leaks. Now he's one of the most-requested characters. If we're lucky, we can gain more support the same way.
At least we have this, yes. Comes with good and bad sides though since the "No 'Anime' Fighters" crowd is starting to look our way while we also get some new guys supporting the series. Though at the moment I will say its 50-50 despite the thing coming from PapaGenos which to my knowledge most people don't like.

TheRockingGoomba

Smash Cadet
I saw the Junko and Monokuma leak last night. And i came here to discuss it.
My thoughts on it

I personally think it looks amazing if you look at it as a "This is what Junko could look like in Smash". But in terms of it matching with the other renders....yeah not really.
there is a possibility that the reason why it looks off is due to it being an early version of the render, so i would say there is probably a low chance that it's real, and it's just the render isn't finished yet. Though it's most likely fake, i really wanna see the person who made it come out with the full HD render, it looks really good imo.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
I hope Papagenos doesn't make a video on that. It's a massive spoiler and 100% fake.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Yeah I gotta go fake here.

Problem 1: Junko's Render. It looks bad. Smash Bros is amazing at staying true to the original by only making the minimum amount of necessary changes. While it looks good on Monokuma's end, Junko looks like she came out of a completely different game. Her face doesn't look round enough, her eyes don't have enough lining. Her eye is too much pupil and not enough iris. (Edit: Now with the high quality version, I noticed that her eyes look like normal eyes and not Danganronpa eyes in general) Her Monokuma pins don't look tall enough. The ears on the pins look too big like they are sticking too far out of the main head of the pins. (are we talking about the Ultimate Despair or the wielder of the Key Blade?) The "No" sign on her tie doesn't line up with the black/white transition. The real Smash would only have one or two of these hiccups at best. Not this many.

Problem 2: Junko doesn't look evil enough. Ganondorf looks like an imposing adversary who will give you a tough fight while letting out an evil chuckle. Bowser looks like he means business and is going to breathe fire. Ridley looks like the feral monster that wants nothing but murder that he is while preparing a piercing screech. Dark Samus looks like a heartless, nearly mindless, abomination that wants nothing more than to destroy. Junko lacks that in this leak. Come on, we're talking about the girl who brought the entire world down to its knees with nothing but the manipulation of others. Not tried to. SUCCEEDED. She lacks the crazy look in her eyes. The "I'm gonna make you kill each other and I'm gonna enjoy every second of it" look. Sakurai would do what he could to capture that.

Problem 3: The Chest Area specifically. Censorship in Smash always goes 2 ways, when it comes to the chest area. It's either covered up with something that seems to keep the design of the outfit going, like with Camilla, Mythra or Female Byleth, or unchanged, like with Adult Tiki or Shantae. Junko in this leak, is left uncovered above the chest area, but has the noticeable change of removing the "not for good boys and girls" line. If this was an official product, I can't see them making such an unnatural change. Edit: I noticed there's a bit of cover-up while keeping the exposed chest area, but it just doesn't look like enough to cover up how much of it would actually be there. Furthermore, censored characters like the ones mentioned earlier didn't go half way like this render does. It was all or nothing, and I don't see Junko being the exception. For other characters, it meshed well with the design, but it just sticks out like a sore thumb here. So for those reasons, I believe this point still stands.

1583035990755.png

Problem 4: The concept of Junko as a playable fighter. This one boils down to having super-major spoilers on a playable level. While some may argue "but what about Lucina?", I have an answer. Fire Emblem awakening is a game about decisions and strategy. In FE, you're trying to complete the objective with as many surviving allies as possible. Danganronpa is a game about story. You can still enjoy FE while knowing Lucina's secrets. Once you find out the mastermind of DR1, the whole shock factor of the climax becomes mostly moot. And I really can't see Sakurai subjecting such an important and huge spoiler to so many people, some of which haven't even heard of Danganronpa, only to have the huge plot twist ruined. If we did get a DR rep, it would be (edit: just) Monokuma or a Protagonist (Naegi/Hajime). Both are great for introducing players on a surface level, while getting them interested on the fates of the characters. Junko would ruin all of that.

Edit: Before anyone gets the wrong idea, I am not personally against Junko in Smash, but I think 1: the leak was just poorly made and easy to debunk with a bit of analysis and 2: it would be a better representation of both Junko and Monokuma to only include Monokuma as a fighter, with Junko being a mastermind type of villain and a breathing spoiler.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Problem 1: Junko's Render. It looks bad. Smash Bros is amazing at staying true to the original by only making the minimum amount of necessary changes. While it looks good on Monokuma's end, Junko looks like she came out of a completely different game. Her face doesn't look round enough, her eyes don't have enough lining. Her eye is too much pupil and not enough iris. Her Monokuma pins don't look tall enough. The ears on the pins look too big (are we talking about the Ultimate Despair or the wielder of the Key Blade?) The "No" sign on her tie doesn't line up with the black/white transition. The real Smash would only have one or two of these hiccups at best. Not this many.

Problem 2: Junko doesn't look evil enough. Ganondorf looks like an imposing adversary who will give you a tough fight while letting out an evil chuckle. Bowser looks like he means business and is going to breathe fire. Ridley looks like the feral monster that wants nothing but murder that he is while preparing a piercing screech. Dark Samus looks like a heartless, nearly mindless, abomination that wants nothing more than to destroy. Junko lacks that in this leak. Come on, we're talking about the girl who brought the entire world down to its knees with nothing but the manipulation of others. Not tried to. SUCCEEDED. She lacks the crazy look in her eyes. The "I'm gonna make you kill each other and I'm gonna enjoy every second of it" look. Sakurai would do what he could to capture that.

Problem 3: The Chest Area specifically. Censorship in Smash always goes 2 ways, when it comes to the chest area. It's either covered up with something that seems to keep the design of the outfit going, like with Camilla, Mythra or Female Byleth, or unchanged, like with Adult Tiki or Shantae. Junko in this leak, is left uncovered above the chest area, but has the noticeable change of removing the "not for good boys and girls" line. If this was an official product, I can't see them making such an unnatural change.

Problem 4: The concept of Junko as a playable fighter. This one boils down to having super-major spoilers on a playable level. While some may argue "but what about Lucina?", I have an answer. Fire Emblem awakening is a game about decisions and strategy. In FE, you're trying to complete the objective with as many surviving allies as possible. Danganronpa is a game about story. You can still enjoy FE while knowing Lucina's secrets. Once you find out the mastermind of DR1, the whole shock factor of the climax becomes mostly moot. And I really can't see Sakurai subjecting such an important and huge spoiler to so many people, some of which haven't even heard of Danganronpa, only to have the huge plot twist ruined. If we did get a DR rep, it would be Monokuma or a Protagonist (Naegi/Hajime). Both are great for introducing players on a surface level, while getting them interested on the fates of the characters. Junko would ruin all of that.
I personally gotta hand it to ya for thhe amount of knowledge. Even I doubt it as well though i'm no DR expert haha

D

Deleted member

Hey Danganronpa fans, I'm a frequent user from Papagenos' Discord server (Forest Maze).

Just wanted to say that the popularity of Danganronpa at his Discord server and recent speculations events have made me really interested to give the franchise a good try. More so since It seems to be made by a good company (It being Spike Chunsoft who made Mystery Dungeon).
I have been considering buying a collection on PS4 for that since apparently It costs 20€

While a lot of things may point to a certain "leak" being fake, many people at Forest Maze and I hope to see Dangaronpa or Spike Chunsoft getting representation soon!!

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989

Problem 1: Junko's Render. It looks bad. Smash Bros is amazing at staying true to the original by only making the minimum amount of necessary changes. While it looks good on Monokuma's end, Junko looks like she came out of a completely different game. Her face doesn't look round enough, her eyes don't have enough lining. Her eye is too much pupil and not enough iris. (Edit: Now with the high quality version, I noticed that her eyes look like normal eyes and not Danganronpa eyes in general) Her Monokuma pins don't look tall enough. The ears on the pins look too big like they are sticking too far out of the main head of the pins. (are we talking about the Ultimate Despair or the wielder of the Key Blade?) The "No" sign on her tie doesn't line up with the black/white transition. The real Smash would only have one or two of these hiccups at best. Not this many.

Problem 3: The Chest Area specifically. Censorship in Smash always goes 2 ways, when it comes to the chest area. It's either covered up with something that seems to keep the design of the outfit going, like with Camilla, Mythra or Female Byleth, or unchanged, like with Adult Tiki or Shantae. Junko in this leak, is left uncovered above the chest area, but has the noticeable change of removing the "not for good boys and girls" line. If this was an official product, I can't see them making such an unnatural change. Edit: I noticed there's a bit of cover-up while keeping the exposed chest area, but it just doesn't look like enough to cover up how much of it would actually be there. Furthermore, censored characters like the ones mentioned earlier didn't go half way like this render does. It was all or nothing, and I don't see Junko being the exception. For other characters, it meshed well with the design, but it just sticks out like a sore thumb here. So for those reasons, I believe this point still stands.

Problem 4: The concept of Junko as a playable fighter. This one boils down to having super-major spoilers on a playable level. While some may argue "but what about Lucina?", I have an answer. Fire Emblem awakening is a game about decisions and strategy. In FE, you're trying to complete the objective with as many surviving allies as possible. Danganronpa is a game about story. You can still enjoy FE while knowing Lucina's secrets. Once you find out the mastermind of DR1, the whole shock factor of the climax becomes mostly moot. And I really can't see Sakurai subjecting such an important and huge spoiler to so many people, some of which haven't even heard of Danganronpa, only to have the huge plot twist ruined. If we did get a DR rep, it would be (edit: just) Monokuma or a Protagonist (Naegi/Hajime). Both are great for introducing players on a surface level, while getting them interested on the fates of the characters. Junko would ruin all of that.

Edit: Before anyone gets the wrong idea, I am not personally against Junko in Smash, but I think 1: the leak was just poorly made and easy to debunk with a bit of analysis and 2: it would be a better representation of both Junko and Monokuma to only include Monokuma as a fighter, with Junko being a mastermind type of villain and a breathing spoiler.
I agree with what you're saying here, will say though in terms of Smash spoiling things: Mecha Fiora in Shulk's Final Smash is considered a /major/ spoiler while maybe not as on big as terms as the DR ones, but I do think its comparable. Spoilers don't stop Sakurai from adding something, he essentially gives the fanbases a middle finger on them but doesn't give the context, which I would say most of the time the context is more important than the individual... though this scenario it goes either way.

Hey Danganronpa fans, I'm a frequent user from Papagenos' Discord server (Forest Maze).

Just wanted to say that the popularity of Danganronpa at his Discord server and recent speculations events have made me really interested to give the franchise a good try. More so since It seems to be made by a good company (It being Spike Chunsoft who made Mystery Dungeon).
I have been considering buying a collection on PS4 for that since apparently It costs 20€

While a lot of things may point to a certain "leak" being fake, many people at Forest Maze and I hope to see Dangaronpa or Spike Chunsoft getting representation soon!!
Despite my personal gripes with Papagenos, I'm glad to hear that at least. All of us here want Danganronpa (specifically Monokuma) to make the roster despite most of us thinking the leak is fake, so welcome to the Remnants of Despair! That said you can also get the entire series on Steam as well, dunno if they're on a comparable prices though (I live in the States, so Euro is an concept I'm oblivious to besides it being money).

I am a bit curious though right now: How many of you would be up for me making an Monokuma Smash Discord server? I personally wouldn't mind making one but at the same time it probably also isn't entirely necessary.

Top Bottom