• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mascot of Despair, Monokuma Punishes the Competition!

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I'm personally not crazy about Monokuma's design. Couldn't really tell ya why; it just doesn't do it for me. What if Junko and Monokuma were a buddy duo like Rosalina and Luma?

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Personally I'd be flummoxed if they went with Makoto over Monokuma.

I feel like this is a scenario where the whole "a series first rep needs to be its hero" idea falls flat on its face, it just doesn't make sense for a series like Danganronpa that is so villain centric. (in general I also feel this way about some horror games, like for example a Clock Tower rep should be Scissorman, not one of the human protagonists)

Something else important to consider is that Monokuma has more "airtime" than Makoto, appearing prominently in all four games and the anime. Makoto is the protagonist of just one game whereas Monokuma is an antagonist in all four games and every version of the anime.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
Personally I'd be flummoxed if they went with Makoto over Monokuma.

I feel like this is a scenario where the whole "a series first rep needs to be its hero" idea falls flat on its face, it just doesn't make sense for a series like Danganronpa that is so villain centric. (in general I also feel this way about some horror games, like for example a Clock Tower rep should be Scissorman, not one of the human protagonists)

Something else important to consider is that Monokuma has more "airtime" than Makoto, appearing prominently in all four games and the anime. Makoto is the protagonist of just one game whereas Monokuma is an antagonist in all four games and every version of the anime.
The way I see it, the only series I can think of that people recognize the villains before the heroes that get brought up a lot are Danganronpa and Tekken. When most people, even non-fans thinks of Danganronpa, they don't think of Makoto or Hajime but the killer multi-colored bear on the cover of the games.

I don't know. The idea of Makoto in over Monokuma is like making a Horror-themed fighting game and including Nancy Thompson over Freddy Krueger. Yeah, Nancy is the protagonist and hero of the story but Freddy is the character people think of first and appeared in the other movies.

Apply that to Monokuma in a more game-like format. Though I hope my analogy makes sense.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
The way I see it, the only series I can think of that people recognize the villains before the heroes that get brought up a lot are Danganronpa and Tekken. When most people, even non-fans thinks of Danganronpa, they don't think of Makoto or Hajime but the killer multi-colored bear on the cover of the games.

I don't know. The idea of Makoto in over Monokuma is like making a Horror-themed fighting game and including Nancy Thompson over Freddy Krueger. Yeah, Nancy is the protagonist and hero of the story but Freddy is the character people think of first and appeared in the other movies.

Apply that to Monokuma in a more game-like format. Though I hope my analogy makes sense.
I like this analogy a lot. I made a post in the speculation thread when someone suggested Naegi basically breaking down each major potential pick because it's just baffling to consider not picking Monokuma or the big villain.

My thing with Naegi is, why would you even pick him outside of him being "the first one"?

If we consider the protagonists, Hinata has a sharper personality and actively uses unusual gadgets and props in his game, and he also has his past as Izuru Kamakura to provide more potential, plus his glowing white form from the endgame. There's also Monomi that could be worked into his moveset considering his closeness with Nanami. His game also has more minigames to work with, such as logic dive or the contradiction swordfight.

Komaru is actively from an action game in UDG, and has her megaphone that's used to stun the Monokuma bots, plus Fukawa/Jack could easily be part of her moveset as well, giving us a fan favorite to boot.

Kaede is a pianist which can give her a music-themed aesthetic to help her stand out, and she again has a stronger personality than Naegi with her more sarcastic and easily-worked-up nature. Plus, as much as it breaks my heart, the fact that she's the culprit in chapter one alone gives her even more potential with her improvised Rube Goldberg-esque failed murder machine. Shotputs galore.

Shuichi is a detective, giving him a more methodical style, and again he's unique due to the new minigames, the liar bullets, and his entire endgame that causes him to do what no other character in the series does by actively rejecting the very mechanics that are trapping him in the game. His entire playstyle could be focused around detection and misdirection.

And moving on from the protagonists...

Junko is the big bad of the series. It's to the point that her very existence is parodied by V3 because "it's always Junko". She's absolutely bursting with personality that can change at a drop of a hat, creating an unpredictable character that could use any of the Punishments from the games as mechanics, her cell phone and reality warping powers from the second game, the Warriors of Light from DRAE, or even Tsumugi's cosplays from V3 if they wanted to go with a Snake-esque amalgamation.

Komaeda is one of the most popular fan favorites in the series and his entire gimmick is being the luckiest person in the world that's then followed up by extreme bouts of bad luck. He's a Remnant of Despair who has felled nations so we know that he can survive anything outside of what he himself sets up and a playstyle focused around actively putting yourself at a disadvantage in order to gain massive advantages is just crazy interesting to think about, especially when you start going into famous scenes like Russian Roulette.

And finally, of course...

Monokuma! The mascot and the thing that ties every single game together! Brimming with personality? Check. Weapons, comical buff forms, demented Looney Tunes contraptions? Check. References to the brutal punishments in the games? Check. Recognizable and iconic? Check! Between the Monokuma units, the Monokubs, the various goofy gags and forms he has, and the fact that he isn't a walking spoiler like Junko, you have a pretty compelling case to pick him over any other DR rep.

I like Naegi as a character! I also have misgivings about DR representation at all if just because it's a tiny bit too nightmarish for me to wrap my head around it being in Smash (though I adore the series). But he's really not the best option by any single measure outside of being The First Game's Protagonist.
Now this was countered by someone suggesting a Koopaling-esque situation with different protagonists as costumes, which would be fine (and again, Kaede is my favorite protagonist in gaming ever) but would it really be the best way to represent the series? I don't think so. Though, ideally, having both Monokuma and protagonists in would be cool and a good way to represent both sides...

But still, you don't make a horror movie fighter and have Laurie Strode over Michael Myers, even if Laurie is an iconic and popular character. Danganronpa is a slasher in game form. You gotta go with either a major antagonistic fan favorite or the iconic villain.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
I can see Makoto being a high ranking spirit or even a Mii Costume. Just not as a full fledge character. That way the protagonists are still represented while Monokuma gets the sunshine.

Also IMO, this is a smaller thing but Monokumas interactions with the current Smash cast even if its just trailer stuff would be more colorful than if it was Makoto or Hajime. And given how Smash is, it'd add flavor to his character.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
On that topic, what characters do you think would get in as spirits?

Assuming Monokuma is the fighter....

Makoto Naegi
Kyoko Kirigiri
Byakuya Togami
Toko Fukawa
Junko Enoshima
Hajime Hinata
Chiaki Nanami
Nagito Komaeda
Monomi
Shuichi Saihara
Kaede Akamatsu
Maki Harukawa
Kaito Momota
Kokichi Oma
Monokubs
Komaru Naegi

I don't think we'd get this many spirits but I'm having trouble cutting them down. I was going to cut Toko but really she not only represents the first game but also the Despair Girls game. (by the way, I haven't played that game so I'm probably missing a character that's significant enough to get a spirit...)

I could see them not including Junko though if they don't want to spoil her importance.

Also since Kaede isn't the protagonist of V3 they also might not include her?

Last edited:

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
There's no way there'd be that many spirits. My guess is that we'd get Makoto, Kyoko, Toko, Junko, Nagito, Chiaki, Kaede, and maybe Byakuya. Makoto and Junko would probably also be Mii Fighter costumes.

Of course, if it were up to me, my girl Akane would also be one of the spirits. Most underrated girl for sure.

Last edited:

Korar

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5170-5706-7228
My personal spirit list would be:

Makoto Naegi
Kyoko Kirigiri
Byakuya Togami
Hajime Hinata
Nagito Komaeda
Chiaki Nanami
Kaede Akamatsu
Shuichi Saihara
Kokichi Oma
Komaru Naegi & Toko Fukawa

I doubt we would get more spirits than this, but there are quite a few other characters i would love to include. maybe we could see some as stage cameos but not as spirits or something.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I had been thinking that Chiaki and Monomi could be paired together as the one spirit to save space?

However they base spirits off existing artwork and I'm not sure if there's any official artwork of the two together?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Would it be weird if the Monomi spirit were to evolve into an Usami spirit? I think that's something they would do.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
I'd personally be flummoxed if they *didn't* add Makoto over Monokuma, for the sole reason that Monokuma doesn't represent the mechanics of Danganronpa at all. The truth bullets, etc are all a part of the protagonist's kit, not Monokuma's.

I would of course like to make the distinction that while Monokuma would not be the playable character, that doesn't necessarily mean he wouldn't appear. It's far more likely that there'd be a stage with a bunch of safe torture devices that he activates intermittently. That's far more in line with his character than actually fighting people.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
I just imagine many people would be disappointed if Makoto got in over Monokuma. Visually speaking, Makoto would not do DR justice and outsiders would see a regular teenage-ish kid and there'd be a ton of complaints. Monokuma would be unique visually and people who haven't played DR would recognize him better. Also he'd have a bit more visual flair than Makoto.

At least that's what I think. If Sakurai wants a DR character, it's up to him and Spike Chunsoft to decide who'd get in.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
It's interesting that there's all these assumed rules about more popular non-protagonists or series mascots not getting in before main characters, yet there's technically precedent for it with the very first game considering Pikachu. Of course Pikachu is so iconic that many might chalk it up to an exception, especially since there hasn't been any since. KOS-MOS would count if she ever got in.

Monokuma would also be the first time an antagonist of a series is added before good guy. He'd be outside a lof of these arbitrary rules that people will buy into.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I just had a hilarious thought. What if the Byakuya spirit enhances into "Byakuya" from SDR2?

I just imagine many people would be disappointed if Makoto got in over Monokuma. Visually speaking, Makoto would not do DR justice and outsiders would see a regular teenage-ish kid and there'd be a ton of complaints. Monokuma would be unique visually and people who haven't played DR would recognize him better. Also he'd have a bit more visual flair than Makoto.

At least that's what I think. If Sakurai wants a DR character, it's up to him and Spike Chunsoft to decide who'd get in.
I'm telling you guys, it's all about Junko. Female DLC character? Check. New female villain? Check. First franchise to be represented by the villain? Check, check, and check.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
It's interesting that there's all these assumed rules about more popular non-protagonists or series mascots not getting in before main characters, yet there's technically precedent for it with the very first game considering Pikachu. Of course Pikachu is so iconic that many might chalk it up to an exception, especially since there hasn't been any since. KOS-MOS would count if she ever got in.

Monokuma would also be the first time an antagonist of a series is added before good guy. He'd be outside a lof of these arbitrary rules that people will buy into.
KOS-MOS wouldn't really count, since she still is a main protagonist, and is far more important to Xenosaga than Shion is

TheRockingGoomba

Smash Cadet
My friend had an idea for Monokuma's taunt, and i wanna share it.

For one of Monokuma's taunts. He transforms into Junko, with an animation that mimicks when Junko reveals herself in the final trial. This taunt also comes in various different flavors. As it would be randomly decided which Junko appears. It would have Normal Junko, Smart Junko, Radical Junko, Sad Junko, and Royal Junko.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
I'd personally be flummoxed if they *didn't* add Makoto over Monokuma, for the sole reason that Monokuma doesn't represent the mechanics of Danganronpa at all. The truth bullets, etc are all a part of the protagonist's kit, not Monokuma's.

I would of course like to make the distinction that while Monokuma would not be the playable character, that doesn't necessarily mean he wouldn't appear. It's far more likely that there'd be a stage with a bunch of safe torture devices that he activates intermittently. That's far more in line with his character than actually fighting people.
I would argue that given the fundamentally-absurd nature of Danganronpa, it wouldn't even be especially unusual for some element of the Class Trial to appear in Monokuma's kit - they could incorporate elements of the Nonstop Debate into his specials and it wouldn't really feel all that odd.

I do agree that not having Truth Bullets would be missing an element of Danganronpa's mechanics, but I guess I'm just not willing to compromise and take what I would consider a significantly less-interesting personality and design for a fighting game (to say nothing of how iconic Monokuma is, being probably the only character people who haven't played DR would know, aside from maybe Junko) just to have a couple of slightly-more-representative special moves, especially when Monokuma has so much more material for normals than Makoto.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
I would argue that given the fundamentally-absurd nature of Danganronpa, it wouldn't even be especially unusual for some element of the Class Trial to appear in Monokuma's kit - they could incorporate elements of the Nonstop Debate into his specials and it wouldn't really feel all that odd.

I do agree that not having Truth Bullets would be missing an element of Danganronpa's mechanics, but I guess I'm just not willing to compromise and take what I would consider a significantly less-interesting personality and design for a fighting game (to say nothing of how iconic Monokuma is, being probably the only character people who haven't played DR would know, aside from maybe Junko) just to have a couple of slightly-more-representative special moves, especially when Monokuma has so much more material for normals than Makoto.
The problem here is it doesn't really matter if you consider Makoto less interesting in design than Monokuma. That didn't stop Hero from getting in before Slime, Joker from getting in before Morgana, Shulk getting in before Riki, etc. etc. Sakurai himself has also stated that whether the character is fun to play is more important than whether they're recognizable lately, plus Makoto himself is also an extremely prominent character through the entire series, appearing in every game as an integral force to the plot. If Makoto was a one and done unseen protagonist, then I'd agree Monokuma would be picked, but he's not even remotely that. And aside from that, he can have at least Hajime as an alternate costume, so then you're basically judging on the merit of two characters.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
If Naegi gets Hinata, Kaede, and Shuichi as alt costumes (and possibly Komaru) I'd be cool with that, but having the only Danganronpa rep be only Naegi feels wrong to me when he's really only playable in one game (though he is a recurring character). It's an interesting subject.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
If Naegi gets Hinata, Kaede, and Shuichi as alt costumes (and possibly Komaru) I'd be cool with that, but having the only Danganronpa rep be only Naegi feels wrong to me when he's really only playable in one game (though he is a recurring character). It's an interesting subject.
Feels weird for me to have Monokuma be the only rep since you don't even play as him

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
I mean at least he's in every single game and is the recognizable series mascot. It's like Pikachu.
In the case of Pikachu, the actual protagonist has almost zero series prominence, plus Pikachu was marketed in the anime as "Ash's Starter". And even beyond that we still got Red/Leaf anyway. Danganronpa is a series about it's constantly shifting ensemble cast, not about it's one mascot character. Pokemon, conversely, is about the monsters.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
In the case of Pikachu, the actual protagonist has almost zero series prominence, plus Pikachu was marketed in the anime as "Ash's Starter". And even beyond that we still got Red/Leaf anyway. Danganronpa is a series about it's constantly shifting ensemble cast, not about it's one mascot character. Pokemon, conversely, is about the monsters.
Monokuma is the one thing unifying every single ensemble cast and game together. The closest you'll get otherwise, as explained in my super spoilery post up there, is the first game's mastermind which is done to the point of parody. Kodaka himself has even said that it's not Danganronpa without Monokuma.

I don't think Naegi is a bad choice, just that you can incorporate more interesting and varied options in several ways that manage to represent the series as a whole, providing a more full experience of Danganronpa as a property.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Monokuma is the one thing unifying every single ensemble cast and game together. The closest you'll get otherwise, as explained in my super spoilery post up there, is the first game's mastermind which is done to the point of parody. Kodaka himself has even said that it's not Danganronpa without Monokuma.

I don't think Naegi is a bad choice, just that you can incorporate more interesting and varied options in several ways that manage to represent the series as a whole, providing a more full experience of Danganronpa as a property.
You can also have other characters appear in Makoto's moveset, which is something that'd be OOC for Monokuma to have

GustavoAlves

Smash Cadet
Considering we'd get about 12 spirits, my guesses would be:

- Makoto Naegi
- Kyoko Kirigiri
- Byakuya Togami
- Toko Fukawa > Genocide Jack
- Hajime Hinata > Izuru Kamukura
- Chiaki Nanami
- Nagito Komaeda > Nagito and Sans
- Komaru Naegi
- Junko Enoshima
- Kokichi Oma
- Kaede Akamatsu
- Shuichi Saihara

plus Monomi > Usami and the Monokubs if they went for the extra mile.

The spirit evolutions walk on spoiler territory, but I wouldn't put that past them.

Also, Junko would obviously be a legendary spirit and I think it would be fitting if she evolved from something. But from what?
Monokuma would already be a fighter, so having another Monokuma spirit besides the Fighter Spirit would be weird (except if they specified with "Monokuma - DR1" or something like that).
Then there's "Junko Enoshima" which is actually Mukuro. Having her evolve into her "true form" would be a cool nod to the games but the implications that they are the same person would not be appropriate for the character (even if misleading newcomers into thinking that would be neat).
They could also go for abstract concepts such as "The Biggest, Most (...) in human history", "Ultimate Despair" or even "The Remnants of Despair"(without actually showing them, of course), but idk, it seem a bit too out there.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero

GustavoAlves

Smash Cadet
I love the implications that Scrum Debate is so good that it doesn't need a remix, just like Boss Fight 1 from Kid Icarus: Uprising.
Speaking of remixes, a "Debate medley" would be a good way to implement Break, Heat Up and Hope vs. Despair in a single song

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I think the biggest reason Monokuma would get in over Makoto is that it's just so much easier to think of a moveset for him. You'd have to really, really abstract some of the trial mini-games to even begin to give Makoto a moveset, or else you'd just be left with uninspired punch/kick normals. I'd argue making a genuinely interesting set of moves for Makoto is significantly harder than making one even for a character like Duck Hunt. Monokuma has all his ridiculous gags, the wacky designs from UDG, and they could even lean into the Monokubs for his move pool, and none of that requires much thought to come up with if you've played the games.

Sakurai's said he needs to characters to "dance" in his head, and I can't see a moveset for Makoto coming together in beautiful, perfect form in anyone's head before one for Monokuma does.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Danganronpa's characters are basically Paper Mario cutouts, so Monokuma could probably summon them with some of his attacks.

I'm still on Team Junko, though.

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
Not Danganronpa related, but Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Rescue Team is getting a remake for Switch!

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Whether its Makoto or Monokuma, the past few days have been nothing but good for the chances of Danganronpa representation in this game.

Not only did the Mystery Dungeon remake reveal today prove without a doubt that Spike and Nintendo still have a working relationship with one another, but this is what Sakurai said about Visual Novels as a genre. This arguably puts a nail in the coffin to the “Visual Novels are unimportant and shouldn’t be in Smash!” argument that I have also seen for Wright.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Sephazon/status/1214948503207600129

Also bear in mind that he has praised the Danganronpa series in the past.

Last edited:

solitonmedic

Potassium, potassium
NNID
Dantel
Oh gosh, as much I want to see some DR stuff in Smash, I doubt we can see something like that in Smash
Oh what am I saying, the sky's the limit now.

DanganronpaFanboy

Smash Rookie
I absolutely adore these edits! If he does get in, I hope it looks just like this.
Anyway, if I had to pick 12 spirits to be in, they'd be:

Makoto
Kyoko
Byakuya
Hajimeme
Chiaki
Nagito
Komaru (or Komaru & Toko)
Kaede
Shuichi
Kokichi
Monomi
Class 78 (or a mix of Class 78 and 77)

I chose this approach for a more "spoiler free" (or at least as spoiler free as you can get with danganronpa...) approach. Also, Joker had a group spirit (e.i. the Phantom Thieves of Hearts) and I thought that would work splendidly for Danganronpa. If they didn't do that, I'd say the monokubs fill that slot.

Top Bottom