• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mascot of Despair, Monokuma Punishes the Competition!

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Wait I'm confused. Where did Spike Chunsoft come from if there were no Spike reps given in the first place? His clarification reads like at least one character from each company listed is out, just not the whole company. There are no other Spike reps in his examples, so I don't get it.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Wait I'm confused. Where did Spike Chunsoft come from if there were no Spike reps given in the first place? His clarification reads like at least one character from each company listed is out, just not the whole company. There are no other Spike reps in his examples, so I don't get it.
I’ll explain.

He listed several characters among companies. He thought that they were all ruled out, but it turns out only the CHARACTERS were ruled out.

He did not say Monokuma, he said Spike Chunsoft, according to the post. Therefore, he is still in the running.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
I’ll explain.

He listed several characters among companies. He thought that they were all ruled out, but it turns out only the CHARACTERS were ruled out.

He did not say Monokuma, he said Spike Chunsoft, according to the post. Therefore, he is still in the running.
So he listed characters with companies, but some companies he didn't list any characters for? That's kind of weird, but okay I guess.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
So he listed characters with companies, but some companies he didn't list any characters for? That's kind of weird, but okay I guess.
I think the reasoning is that he included examples for companies that had a large cast of potential choices but a name or two being floated much more than others, but for a company like Spike Chunsoft who, frankly, only have one real possibility, he left it at that.

That whole notion sort of reeks to me, but I guess I can see it happening, given a certain degree of incompetence.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
I think the reasoning is that he included examples for companies that had a large cast of potential choices but a name or two being floated much more than others, but for a company like Spike Chunsoft who, frankly, only have one real possibility, he left it at that.

That whole notion sort of reeks to me, but I guess I can see it happening, given a certain degree of incompetence.
I mean there are other entities with one possible choice in there like Zun with Touhou, but I guess it's possible Verge doesn't know that.

Kevinhend

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kevinhend
3DS FC
1504-5780-8640
Since those deconfirms have basically been thrown out the window, my hopes for Monokuma are still pretty high.
He's one of my tops picks for being revealed tomorrow. (The other being Phoenix Wright who fits in with the costume theory that's been floating around. Since the majority of the missing costumes are Capcom ones.)

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
Any of you guys watching the game awards? It's 3 in the morning here in Germany but I'm still watching with my Monokuma plushie right next to me hoping for an unexpected reveal.

Korar

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5170-5706-7228
Any of you guys watching the game awards? It's 3 in the morning here in Germany but I'm still watching with my Monokuma plushie right next to me hoping for an unexpected reveal.
I'm watching, so far nothing in the show has really piqued my interest a whole lot. awesome that smash won fighting game, though.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
No Smash TGA reveal.

Could this mean anything for our chances? If FP5 was, say Kratos or someone like that, they definitely would’ve revealed them tonight. At least that is how I see it.

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
I'm watching, so far nothing in the show has really piqued my interest a whole lot. awesome that smash won fighting game, though.
Yeah meh. Sekiro winning is really a downer and the only thing I found interesting was Ghost of Tsushima. That one looks fabulous though.

I wonder when we'll get the last DLC announcement then. Would be kinda weird to me if they were to announce them in January which would be very close to their release assuming they stick to the promised release schedule.

No Smash TGA reveal.

Could this mean anything for our chances? If FP5 was, say Kratos or someone like that, they definitely would’ve revealed them tonight. At least that is how I see it.
You got a point there. Maybe a stage like TGA isn't the best for a niche character like Monokuma. For a big one however, it would've been perfect. So as you said, there may be something to that.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Look, I like Danganronpa as much as the next guy, but... does this REALLY qualify a mention in the Guinness World Record?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Look, I like Danganronpa as much as the next guy, but... does this REALLY qualify a mention in the Guinness World Record?

Guinness World Records are also a business, they oftentimes do irrelevant records when prompted by a company as a way to promote their product. This record might have just been promoting V3.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
I can also imagine someone writing the book was just a bit of a fan and found a good excuse to mention him, I would if I could toooo <3

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
This is olympic tier straw grasping, but what if they chose a Danganronpa character, but it was Naegi instead? That way, Vergeben and Sabi would still be right? (Because the latter said that FP5 is from a company that was on the first major kill list from Verge)

0.1 percent chance of happening, but its fun to humor it regardless.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
I could actually imagine a Hero-type character with Makoto, Hajime, Nagito, and Kaede instead, for being the protagonists and one very fan favorite!
Maybe Shuichi, but y'know, in case people visiting this thread are new to the series, don't say why, I don't wanna ruin anything for anyone...!
Been meaning to make a video with a Monokuma moveset and student moveset, I doodled it all up and would have the students do things they could all do like stuff from their minigames, the focus bar, etc, I think it could be very believably in character for them all thanks to being able to have different expressions! Like, when Makoto gets hurt, ow, looks hurt, simple! When Nagito gets hurt he could do that pained smile he does, gives more character!

I dunno why a student would fit Verge and Sabi, it just seems like they're being messed with, but yeah, Monokuma would be great orrr a student would be great too! And then if it's a student we could have Monokuma goofing off in the background of our stage!

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I could actually imagine a Hero-type character with Makoto, Hajime, Nagito, and Kaede instead, for being the protagonists and one very fan favorite!
Maybe Shuichi, but y'know, in case people visiting this thread are new to the series, don't say why, I don't wanna ruin anything for anyone...!
Been meaning to make a video with a Monokuma moveset and student moveset, I doodled it all up and would have the students do things they could all do like stuff from their minigames, the focus bar, etc, I think it could be very believably in character for them all thanks to being able to have different expressions! Like, when Makoto gets hurt, ow, looks hurt, simple! When Nagito gets hurt he could do that pained smile he does, gives more character!

I dunno why a student would fit Verge and Sabi, it just seems like they're being messed with, but yeah, Monokuma would be great orrr a student would be great too! And then if it's a student we could have Monokuma goofing off in the background of our stage!

I phrased it incorrectly.

I meant that it wouldn’t debunk either of their statements. (Since Vergeben said no Monokuma, and Sabi said FP5 would be from a company that was on the first major kill list by Verge)

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Does anyone have a moveset sheet for an Ultimate Student?
No, but I can think of a few moves.

If we went down the hope route, I could see Naegi (let's just assume it's Naegi) using "evidence" as a kind of gimmick but not really. Basically it'd be references to things that happened earlier in the match like naming an item that was used, a fighter who got a KO or got KO'd, etc. Each of these references can only be used once. If it's early in the match, then a placeholder is used. Reference-based evidence is more powerful than placeholder evidence, so timing is important to make the most of those attacks, just like in the Class Trials.

*Uses evidence gimmick:

Neutral Special: Truth/Lie Bullet*. Naegi takes a second or two to think, and fires off a Truth Bullet forward, pointing his finger forward. However, Naegi can reverse the direction and turn it into a Lie Bullet, which does increased damage to the enemy if it hits, but also leaves Naegi with recoil (since lies hurt in the long run and stuff)

Side Special: Logic Dive. Naegi hops on a "mental" snowboard and charges forward. He cannot turn around, but can stop at any time with a little sliping. If Naegi falls of a platform while using this move, he performs a trick and the remainder of the move will have increased damage.

Up Special: Magical Girl Flight: Usami/Monomi (take your pick) appears to carry Naegi upwards, similarly to Olimar/Alph's Winged Pikmin.

Down Special: Hacking Gun. Turn the down input into another directional input to make Naegi fire different attacks from the Hacking Gun, with each being a reference to their original use in Ultra Despair Girls.

Grabs: Rebuttal Showdown*. All centered around Naegi pinning the opponent down in a debate and slashing at them with a sword. One full grab sequence (until throw/breakout) = 1 peice of evidence. So if Naegi has reference based evidence, he better land a throw and not waste the reference.

Final Smash: MTB. Cinematic where Naegi's opponents try to deny his power in the match or something, but Naegi fires back with a Truth bullet saying Smash Ball/Final Smash Meter/Victini depending on how he got the Final Smash. (Edit: Was going to have this be evidence-based, but his means of getting the Final Smash kind of is the evidence)

Not a full moveset, but I'd say Sakurai can make something up for Naegi/the other good guys.

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
No, but I can think of a few moves.

If we went down the hope route, I could see Naegi (let's just assume it's Naegi) using "evidence" as a kind of gimmick but not really. Basically it'd be references to things that happened earlier in the match like naming an item that was used, a fighter who got a KO or got KO'd, etc. Each of these references can only be used once. If it's early in the match, then a placeholder is used. Reference-based evidence is more powerful than placeholder evidence, so timing is important to make the most of those attacks, just like in the Class Trials.

*Uses evidence gimmick:

Neutral Special: Truth/Lie Bullet*. Naegi takes a second or two to think, and fires off a Truth Bullet forward, pointing his finger forward. However, Naegi can reverse the direction and turn it into a Lie Bullet, which does increased damage to the enemy if it hits, but also leaves Naegi with recoil (since lies hurt in the long run and stuff)

Side Special: Logic Dive. Naegi hops on a "mental" snowboard and charges forward. He cannot turn around, but can stop at any time with a little sliping. If Naegi falls of a platform while using this move, he performs a trick and the remainder of the move will have increased damage.

Up Special: Magical Girl Flight: Usami/Monomi (take your pick) appears to carry Naegi upwards, similarly to Olimar/Alph's Winged Pikmin.

Down Special: Hacking Gun. Turn the down input into another directional input to make Naegi fire different attacks from the Hacking Gun, with each being a reference to their original use in Ultra Despair Girls.

Grabs: Rebuttal Showdown*. All centered around Naegi pinning the opponent down in a debate and slashing at them with a sword. One full grab sequence (until throw/breakout) = 1 peice of evidence. So if Naegi has reference based evidence, he better land a throw and not waste the reference.

Final Smash: MTB. Cinematic where Naegi's opponents try to deny his power in the match or something, but Naegi fires back with a Truth bullet saying Smash Ball/Final Smash Meter/Victini depending on how he got the Final Smash. (Edit: Was going to have this be evidence-based, but his means of getting the Final Smash kind of is the evidence)

Not a full moveset, but I'd say Sakurai can make something up for Naegi/the other good guys.

Hopefully someone can get a full moveset sheet soon.

Because that sounds like it’d be really fun to use in this game.

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
So I found a tweet that linked this article:
http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2019..._new_project_applicants_must_like_danganronpa

A TL;DR: It's saying that they're hiring new developers for a new project, and the applicants must like Danganronpa.

While I don't think a new Danganronpa is coming, I do think that whatever the new project is gonna be, it might use some of the elements that have been used in the Danganronpa series, like the big story and crazy unforgiving deaths. What do y'all think about this?

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Here is something I posted in the speculation thread.

My Gamefaqs thread got taken down, so I’ll just repost it here.

Assuming that Vergeben and Sabis statements both line up with each other, this is who is likely still remaining for FP5. This is assuming that its still a third party, and that it won’t be a repeating company.

Dovahkin
Harvest Moon Rep
Warcraft/Diablo rep
Contra Guy (Don’t know his name)
Jonesy (Lol not happening)
Naegi

Leaning toward Dovahkin at this point, but what do you all think? (Again, this is taking Sabis tweet and all of the deconfirmations into account)

By some miracle, if Naegi ended up being chosen out of this list, how would you all react?

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
I would find it odd given how Monokuma is basically the mascot. At the same time, I imagine Sakurai would rather pick a more heroic character over Monokuma, even if he is the mascot of the franchise... Which makes Danganronpa be in a weird spot: Its most recognizable character and the mascot of the franchise is antagonistic. Yeah, there's characters like Heihachi for Tekken who is recognizable and is antagonistic but at the same time, I always feel like Sakurai may barely gloss over Monokuma for being villainous.

It's a weird thing but is something I can kinda see happening.

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I would find it odd given how Monokuma is basically the mascot. At the same time, I imagine Sakurai would rather pick a more heroic character over Monokuma, even if he is the mascot of the franchise... Which makes Danganronpa be in a weird spot: Its most recognizable character and the mascot of the franchise is antagonistic. Yeah, there's characters like Heihachi for Tekken who is recognizable and is antagonistic but at the same time, I always feel like Sakurai may barely gloss over Monokuma for being villainous.

It's a weird thing but is something I can kinda see happening.
I’m pretty sure that Slime (an enemy mind you) is the mascot of DQ, and Hero got chosen over that. So I guess it could actually happen.

Btw, I could easily see him getting the Hero treatment with the alts if Sakurai wanted to.

Last edited:

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
I’m pretty sure that Slime (an enemy mind you) is the mascot of DQ, and Hero got chosen over that. So I guess it could actually happen.

Btw, I could easily see him getting the Hero treatment with the alts if Sakurai wanted to.
I'm not that familiar with DQ, but isn't Slime just an ordinary enemy character? At least I understood him as no important story character, while Monokuma in fact is the face and mascot of his franchise and being vital to each of the games' storyline. Most importantly, this gets indicated by all the merch that's mostly in Monokuma design and him being a unique and easily recognizable character, therefore being someone they would want to aim for.

Can't see Naegi coming and wouldn't want it tbh. It would just be "another anime char" instead of showing the franchises whole potential with Monokumas hilarious character.

That's just my stance on this though. I also don't give much credit to the leakers anymore. I'm sure Fighter 5 will be someone bigger but also that Monokuma is likely getting included in the second wave.

Edit: Whoops sb effed up and I ended up triple posting. My apologies.

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I'm not that familiar with DQ, but isn't Slime just an ordinary enemy character? At least I understood him as no important story character, while Monokuma in fact is the face and mascot of his franchise and being vital to each of the games' storyline. Most importantly, this gets indicated by all the merch that's mostly in Monokuma design and him being a unique and easily recognizable character, therefore being someone they would want to aim for.

Can't see Naegi coming and wouldn't want it tbh. It would just be "another anime char" instead of showing the franchises whole potential with Monokumas hilarious character.

That's just my stance on this though. I also don't give much credit to the leakers anymore. I'm sure Fighter 5 will be someone bigger but also that Monokuma is likely getting included in the second wave.

Edit: Whoops sb effed up and I ended up triple posting. My apologies.

Slime is considered to be the mascot of Dragon Quest, to the point where it is pushed relentlessly in marketing over at Japan. It has appeared in pretty much every DQ game ever made.

It is specified on this page right here.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slime_(Dragon_Quest)

Furthermore, the argument of being “more recognizable” and “unique design” could’ve easily been used to justify Slime over Hero, taking all of this into consideration. But they didn’t, and people complained about an “anime swordsman”.

But who knows. At the end of the day, I just want any character from this franchise into Smash, idc if its Monokuma or Naegi. I’d love them both equally.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
I can imagine Monokuma getting in over any of the main protags because he'd probably have more personality done to him as a playable fighter. I wouldn't mind someone like Naegi but Monokuma makes a bit more sense as a fighter.

Though that makes me wish, if we get him in Smash, that Monokuma would have some interaction with Banjo in his trailer. Because bears.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I can imagine Monokuma getting in over any of the main protags because he'd probably have more personality done to him as a playable fighter. I wouldn't mind someone like Naegi but Monokuma makes a bit more sense as a fighter.

Though that makes me wish, if we get him in Smash, that Monokuma would have some interaction with Banjo in his trailer. Because bears.
Imo, a Hero situation with all of the main protagonists would be absolutely sick.

But at the end of the day, its all up to Sakurai whether or not he wants Monokuma or Naegi, if he did want a Danganronpa rep.

Though Monokuma is supposedly out for FP5 according to Vergeben, but not Spike as a whole, so Naegi would have to be our only HOPE (pun intended) if we want any representation of this franchise for the fighters pass, at least.

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
Slime is considered to be the mascot of Dragon Quest, to the point where it is pushed relentlessly in marketing over at Japan. It has appeared in pretty much every DQ game ever made
I'm aware of that. But as I said, it's a difference whether you're omnipresent and important to every story of the franchise or you're just an enemy or something similar. Think about the Chocobos and FF.

Honestly, I'd be really disappointed if Naegi happened to be the DR character. Then again, it's certainly not out of possibility and would be better than nothing.

It's just that I love Monokuma way too much haha. Plus the Monocubs and Monomi worked perfectly as costumes.

DanganronpaFanboy

Smash Rookie
Imo, a Hero situation with all of the main protagonists would be absolutely sick.

But at the end of the day, its all up to Sakurai whether or not he wants Monokuma or Naegi, if he did want a Danganronpa rep.

Though Monokuma is supposedly out for FP5 according to Vergeben, but not Spike as a whole, so Naegi would have to be our only HOPE (pun intended) if we want any representation of this franchise for the fighters pass, at least.
I feel like you should take these "credible leakers" with more of a grain of salt. Almost all these leakers (especially since DLC 5 speculation started) have just been spouting incoherent garbage. Not saying they're completely wrong, just saying there is a chance there is.

tldr; Monokuma, at least in my eyes, still has all the chance he's always had.

TheRockingGoomba

Smash Cadet
I wanna ask something
You think they would have the Execution music as music tracks?
If so, how do you think they would implement it? Would it be just the most important ones, a game specific medley (Punishment V1, V2, and V3), a Medley of all of them, or would they just make a new one that incorporates elements of all of them?

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
What if a Danganronpa character gets in and it's not Monokuma or Naegi, but Junko (with Monokuma as a "partner" like Slime or Morgana)?

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
What if a Danganronpa character gets in and it's not Monokuma or Naegi, but Junko (with Monokuma as a "partner" like Slime or Morgana)?
On one hand I'd love it but in the other hand the spoilers would be a shame for people who have yet to play the first game.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't be a huge fan - Junko's cool, but Monokuma is:

1. The actual face of the series, and its most iconic character.
2. Not humanoid - we have too many person-shaped characters; Monokuma offers some nice diversity, and frankly a lot more move-set potential, given UDG.
3. Absolutely adorable; unmatched by any filthy non-bear.

Top Bottom