• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mascot of Despair, Monokuma Punishes the Competition!

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
I’d recommend playing this minutes before the VGAs start for maximum hype.

https://youtu.be/k5HuHnhHxXY
Either we rejoice about that or we fall into a deep despair.

Which I mean seeming as what I've forcefully called us Monokuma Supporters, win-win situation clearly.

Either way I've updated the support list, if anyone sees any mistakes be sure to let me know.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
Either we rejoice about that or we fall into a deep despair.

Which I mean seeming as what I've forcefully called us Monokuma Supporters, win-win situation clearly.

Either way I've updated the support list, if anyone sees any mistakes be sure to let me know.
A mistake on my part maybe, but I would definitely like to go on record as being a supporter of the Despair Bear.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
What songs would you guys be interested in seeing? Here is what I imagine what the music list would look like:

Discussion - Break
Discussion - Heat up
Discussion - Panic
Discussion - Debate Scrum (my favorite)
New World Order
Monokuma's Lesson
Monokuma's Tutoring
Beautiful Dead (New Remix)
Distrust
Despair - Syndrome (New Remix maybe? To me it could work as a battle theme if tweaked, but then again we have songs like Hanenbow and others)

I tried narrowing it down to 10 as that seems to be the estimate and minimum (outside of Square Enix who for some reason has a stupid rule of only allowing 2 songs per game). And I attempted to have some variety and bring in most of the iconic and best songs. Some of these could be made better as battle songs if remixed. Sakurai remixed most of the Banjo songs, but there are also some songs already in Smash that don't really fit the feel of battle, but whatever.
I'd also like to get some kind of remix of the Climax Reasoning/Return themes. Also I'm not sure how it would work but I'd also like to see some kind of mash-up/remix of the execution themes.

A remix of Classmate of the Dead would also be really cool.

I really love trial underground but I don't think it would work well in Smash.

Last edited:

GustavoAlves

Smash Cadet
I'd also like to get some kind of remix of the Climax Reasoning/Return themes. Also I'm not sure how it would work but I'd also like to see some kind of mash-up/remix of the execution themes.

A remix of Classmate of the Dead would also be really cool.

I really love trial underground but I don't think it would work well in Smash.
To be fair, Beneath the Mask supposedly didn't fit Smash at all, and we all saw how that turned out

GustavoAlves

Smash Cadet
Here's another track from the SiIvaGunner KFAD:

I'm not sure what Danganronpa track this is based off (never played V3), but it uses some voicelines from the first game which I thought was pretty cool.

Also hearing the recent news of Resident Evil getting spirits and Dante seemingly deconfirmed for FP5 makes me more hyped for Phoenix, which automatically hypes me up more for Monokuma too.
It's a LISA song from what I've seen.

On the topic of Phoenix: this deconfirmation fest with Vergeben and all definitely points to him more than it does to Monokuna. But who cares, I'd be happy either way

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
It's a LISA song from what I've seen.

On the topic of Phoenix: this deconfirmation fest with Vergeben and all definitely points to him more than it does to Monokuna. But who cares, I'd be happy either way
Phoenix Wright leak was confirmed to be fake, that said I got no idea about anything besides that recent leak being confirmed fake. Tbh though I'd rather not a new Capcom rep till Namco gets at least one more rep which ain't happening with Fighter 5 but whatev.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
Phoenix Wright leak was confirmed to be fake, that said I got no idea about anything besides that recent leak being confirmed fake. Tbh though I'd rather not a new Capcom rep till Namco gets at least one more rep which ain't happening with Fighter 5 but whatev.
I've never been able to get behind the "X publisher needs a rep" mindset - I just tend to want who I want based on the character.

But then, I want several characters that Capcom owns, so...

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
The leak was confirmed fake, but that doesn't deconfirm Phoenix from FP5 completely.

Offtopic to the discussion, but I also want to say that I might make a custom spirit board based of Danganronpa, just like I made one for the Ace Attorney series after I've played Danganronpa V3 and after I've finished the Team Fortress 2 spirit board.

While I'm at it, here's another cool song:

This one seems to start of with a V3 song, but I'm not completely sure about that. After that it plays the psyche lock theme from the Ace Attorney games.
Words can not express how much I love SiIvaGunner, it really changed my life. I wonder if there are more threads that reference SiIvaGunner and KFAD2 sometimes, outside of the Geno support thread.

GustavoAlves

Smash Cadet
While I'm at it, here's another cool song:

This one seems to start of with a V3 song, but I'm not completely sure about that. After that it plays the psyche lock theme from the Ace Attorney games.
Words can not express how much I love SiIvaGunner, it really changed my life. I wonder if there are more threads that reference SiIvaGunner and KFAD2 sometimes, outside of the Geno support thread.
Yep, it's a V3 song, but nothing trial-related or anything, it's just a song that plays on sad moments or during nighttime.

Still a banger tho

cosmicB

Smash Ace
I've been thinking about how much of a bummer it is that Oyama no longer voices Monokuma. If Monokuma got into Smash, it would basically make Doraemon canon to Smash in the same way Sans getting in makes Patrick from Spongebob canon, but more significant because hey, that's basically Japan's Mickey Mouse.

Obviously her health is more important than some dumb video game, but just something I've been thinking about.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Apparently, according to Sabi, Capcom has been knocked out by the NOA source.

I love Phoenix, he is my second most wanted, but he was the despair bears last major competition.

If Dec 12 comes without a Spike Chunsoft deconfirmation, get ready Monokuma bros.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989

I love Phoenix, he is my second most wanted, but he was the despair bears last major competition.

If Dec 12 comes without a Spike Chunsoft deconfirmation, get ready Monokuma bros.
Indeed, though I do still say Saber from Type-Moon’s Fate/ series is still a competitor as that series is much more popular there than in the west.

That said I’m a fan of both, it I’m hoping it’s Monokuma more since while I like Saber, she’s another sword fighter even if she’d be rather unique from them. C’mon Sakurai... bring the despair!

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Figured I might as well post how I would want a reveal trailer to go in here after I posted it in the Newcomer's thread:

A bunch of characters are fighting in the low-movement animation/art style of the Danganronpa executions. Suddenly the area goes dark and a spotlight shines on Mario. Words appear on a screen nearby that says "now commencing punishment for the ultimate plumber". He looks confused, but has little time to react as a chain wraps around his neck and pulls him upward. The chain loosens and he is dropped in what appears to be a sewer. Suddenly, the ground starts to shake. He notices a rush of water coming from behind him and starts to run in the opposite direction. He sees one of the typical pipes he uses, so he jumps through it. He ends up on the other side just as the water crushes the pipe and continues rushing toward him. Fortunately there are more pipes in front of him, which he keeps using. Going through pipe after pipe eventually increases his momentum to the point of being almost unstoppable. He is flung into the final pipe that reads "Exit" right over it just as the water increases its pace. Thinking everything is over as he travels through the last pipe, it slowly gets narrower and narrower until he can no longer fit in it, but he can't stop because of the momentum. The camera cuts to the other side of the pipe, which is no bigger in diameter than a garden hose. All that appears from the pipe's end is a bit of Mario's shredded hat covered in a pink liquid.

"MONOKUMA PUNISHES THE COMPETITION!"

Tomasagaz14

Banned via Warnings
If Monokuma joins, i'd like if his Final Smash is Punishment Time, where each characters gets an unique punishment, for example:
Game Over, Mario was found Guilty, starting Execution.
Mario is in the sewers with a hammer, jumping around and fixing pipes at high speeda, suddenly, a warp pipe appears in the floor and Mario gets close to look at it, then a pipe behind him breaks and the water pushes him into the Warp Pipe.

A Plumber's Job, Mario Ultimate Plumber execution.

Mario slides over water at high speeds inside the pipe, suddenly a turn is made and Mario hits the wall, this happens several times, then Monokuma is shown throwing an electric eel down the toilet, which gets near Mario and electrocutes him, then the pipes makes pretzels and Mario starts to get dizzy.
Finally, the pipe goez downwards, to the center of the earth, the pipes are extremely hot and Mario is very hurt, then a light is seen and the pipe ends, Mario finds himself over a giant abyss with lava and he holds onto the pipe, then Monokuma appears with a golden axe and cuts the pipe, making Mario fall to the lava, his hat floats a bit over the lava until it finally burns.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
We need more people coming up with personalized character executions, and then comission someone to animate them all in Rui Komatsuzaki's art style.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
May I be put on the support list? I really enjoyed Danganronpa 1-V3 and Monokuma has become my pipe dream pick that seems kind of likely now!

For Monokuma's Final Smash...what if it was a roulette kind of FS where it could be different old school executions? Not sure how it would be executed (heh), but it would be unique to see things like Owada's execution then the next time could be Celestia's?

IDK, but the idea of Monokuma having a taunt where they just laugh (upupupupup) is enough for me!

Hearthatsound

Smash Rookie
Add me to the support list! Danganronpa is my favorite game series out there, right next to smash. Getting monokuma in would be a dream come true!

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Welcome to the Remnants of Despair! I'd like to see unique executions for every character as well if Punishment Time would be his final smash, though I do put a high doubt on it since that's a lot of work for one fighter for 70+ characters all at once in their first game instead of increasing the number game by game. Though if we can make some up to just throw ideas around that's fine by me.

Also, by my count... we are nearing 50 supporters! Just one off I think.

GustavoAlves

Smash Cadet
You guys are really putting a lot of faith in grotesque executions with actual death when Joker's Final Smash replaced blood for sparkles.

Not to mention the amount of work and resources it would take to have that many executions. I'd say the most likely route is they taking the cartoony route while referencing old punishments in a single Final Smash.

Here's my ideas for both the Final Smash and the reveal trailer, coming from my version of Monokuma's moveset from earlier in this thread. Beware of minor spoilers and etc.

Final Smash

It's Punishment Time!
Monokuma uses his gavel to hit a bell, beggining Punishment time. He then disappears, and the screen gets covered by the same UI as the Nonstop Debate segments. The player can move a reticle during a select time (4 seconds?) and shoot players. After the time runs out, every player that got shot gets dragged away by a chain and ends up in Naegi/Kirigiri's Punishment, except the fighters are not on a chair, just layed down until they are crushed. Don't worry, they don't die, they only get comically launched afterwards.

This could be replaced by any other punishment, including an original one, but I tried to include the most iconic and spoiler-free in the franchise (because we can't determine who gets executed from this scenery alone).

What could be done for the Reveal Trailer?
Many things, actually. It can be a punishment with a random Smash character that reveals Monokuma at the end. It can be a long animated sequence that introduces Phoenix Wright (and maybe Professor Layton) as well without revealing it as Smash Bros until the very end. And, in the best-case scenario...it can be both. The possibilites are endless.
The gameplay sequence of the trailer can have random Danganronpa characters commenting the fact that Monokuma is playable and telling the other fighters to don't lose hope. Now that would be cool. Yeah.

Last edited:

cosmicB

Smash Ace
You guys are really putting a lot of faith in grotesque executions with actual death when Joker's Final Smash replaced blood for sparkles.
Just to clarify, the execution I wrote wasn't even wishful thinking, it's just something I'd think would be cool. It's NOT going to happen even in the unlikely event Monokuma makes it into Smash. If a hypothetical final smash references executions at all, I imagine it would just be a scene shift (like in Ridley's or Captain Falcon's final smash) that shows the screen with an 8 bit model of the character hit by the attack being carried off by Monokuma, then they just fly off screen. And that's probably the BEST we can hope for since even making those little 8 bit animations for all 70+ characters might be more work than they would want to do.

I'd actually be looking forward to what the fans make more than anything if Monokuma made it into Smash. There's more than a few fanmade executions on Youtube/Niconico and some are absurdly well made for what they are. I can't imagine we wouldn't get at least a few were Monokuma to make it in.

GustavoAlves

Smash Cadet
Just to clarify, the execution I wrote wasn't even wishful thinking, it's just something I'd think would be cool. It's NOT going to happen even in the unlikely event Monokuma makes it into Smash. If a hypothetical final smash references executions at all, I imagine it would just be a scene shift (like in Ridley's or Captain Falcon's final smash) that shows the screen with an 8 bit model of the character hit by the attack being carried off by Monokuma, then they just fly off screen. And that's probably the BEST we can hope for since even making those little 8 bit animations for all 70+ characters might be more work than they would want to do.

I'd actually be looking forward to what the fans make more than anything if Monokuma made it into Smash. There's more than a few fanmade executions on Youtube/Niconico and some are absurdly well made for what they are. I can't imagine we wouldn't get at least a few were Monokuma to make it in.
Monokuma wins EVO against a Joker, fans instantly animate an execution with Joker's heart being literally stolen

Hearthatsound

Smash Rookie

Not to mention the amount of work and resources it would take to have that many executions. I'd say the most likely route is they taking the cartoony route while referencing old punishments in a single Final Smash.

Here's my ideas for both the Final Smash and the reveal trailer, coming from my version of Monokuma's moveset from earlier in this thread. Beware of minor spoilers and etc.
I was thinking something more along the lines of
the punishment rocket execution. It’d work the same way as Olimar’s.

Tomasagaz14

Banned via Warnings
Monokuma wins EVO against a Joker, fans instantly animate an execution with Joker's heart being literally stolen
Take Your Heart, Joker Ultimate Thief's Execution.

Joker is thrown into a Black and White Palace, then a Monokuma suddenly appears and attacks him, but Joker summons Arsene and easily destroys it, more Monokumas starts to appeae until is a true horde, at first Joker easily manages to defend himself, until he is starting to be overwhelmed, some bears manages to jump over him and make Joker fall, then the horde attacks him with their claws, until finally one puts its hand into Joker's chest and taking his heart.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Indeed, though I do still say Saber from Type-Moon’s Fate/ series is still a competitor as that series is much more popular there than in the west.

That said I’m a fan of both, it I’m hoping it’s Monokuma more since while I like Saber, she’s another sword fighter even if she’d be rather unique from them. C’mon Sakurai... bring the despair!
I know nothing about the Fate series, but is it like a Reimu situation in terms of popularity in Japan VS the West?

If that is the case, I really cannot imagine a character like that at the VGAs.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord

When did they say that? I don't think the Capcom deconfirmation is verified.

Yeah for that reason I think a Western-recognizable character is more likely, since TGA might want to make a buzz. Not 100% certain, as we could still get Saber or Reimu next week, but they look less likely for FP5. Where do we think Monokuma stands on the Western popularity regard?

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
When did they say that? I don't think the Capcom deconfirmation is verified.

Yeah for that reason I think a Western-recognizable character is more likely, since TGA might want to make a buzz. Not 100% certain, as we could still get Saber or Reimu next week, but they look less likely for FP5. Where do we think Monokuma stands on the Western popularity regard?
Sabi didn’t directly deconfirm Capcom, but the NOA ambassador did (Source for Naz). And given that they hinted at Links Awakening, Banjo, and Terry before their reveals, I have no reason to believe that they are lying.

And this next bit is pure speculation, but I think that Danganronpa, in the west at least, is leagues above Fate in terms of popularity. Even outside the usual echo chambers, it feels like I see Danganronpa profile pics/references on a daily basis.

I’m pretty sure a Monokuma reveal at the VGAs would cause a VERY significant stir on the internet.

Last edited:

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
I know nothing about the Fate series, but is it like a Reimu situation in terms of popularity in Japan VS the West?

You forget they announced Cranky Kong being announced for Tropical Freeze at the game awards. Nintendo literally doesn't care who or what they reveal there.

Its more like... Fate is quite popular overall, rivals or succeeds Phoenix Wright and Danganronpa in popularity, but most fans are in Japan though outside of it there is still a decent amount.

That said, Master Chief got deconfirmed apparently.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Welp, dream is dead folks. Knew it was a longshot anyway.

Only hope is for them to go in the same direction for post pass.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
I still think it's suspicious how all these characters and companies got snapped so easily since it's mostly all the discussed characters. I don't know, it just feels odd.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I still think it's suspicious how all these characters and companies got snapped so easily since it's mostly all the discussed characters. I don't know, it just feels odd.
Not only that, but people from Gamexplain and Source Gaming have called him out publicly.

Idk who to believe anymore.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Verge Thanos snapped literally everyone, including Spike Chunsoft.
Spirits
Mii Outfits
Assist Trophies
NDAs
Leakers

Everyone I hoped for is deconfirmed.

To be fair it's as simple as asking "Is it _____?" and receiving the answer of "No". Ask enough times and everyone gets eliminated.

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I was going to ask something, but then the whole snap happened. But oh well, I’ll ask it anyway.

If Monokuma was post pass and Chiaki was a cameo, would we all agree to turn on Galaga ships on the stage?

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Look on the bright side, guys. At least we, unlike Spirits/ATs/Mii Outfits/Nintendo characters, only have to wait 1 more fighter to have a chance again instead of until the next Smash Bros game.

Top Bottom