• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mascot of Despair, Monokuma Punishes the Competition!

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I have such conflicting feelings towards the idea of Danganronpa in Smash. I adore the series - it was a super important part of my life and obviously Kaede means the world to me. It's full of life and character and amazing music. But it's also just strange to even think about. I can't say I wouldn't get super excited though. It's just so bizarre to even consider...

But of course I'd like it. They'd just need to be cartoony about it.
I'm also conflicted because I'd love Junko and Monokuma in but Junko is such a huge spoiler, even if people don't treat it as such.

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I have such conflicting feelings towards the idea of Danganronpa in Smash. I adore the series - it was a super important part of my life and obviously Kaede means the world to me. It's full of life and character and amazing music. But it's also just strange to even think about. I can't say I wouldn't get super excited though. It's just so bizarre to even consider...

But of course I'd like it. They'd just need to be cartoony about it.
I'm also conflicted because I'd love Junko and Monokuma in but Junko is such a huge spoiler, even if people don't treat it as such.
I mean, this is a game where Joker, Banjo, and Solid Snake can fight each other on a Nintendogs stage while Megalovania is playing in the background.

I dont think anything is too bizarre for this game anymore.

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
I really hope what Sabi said on twitter is a hint at new Danganronpa content in general. I doubt it's Smash related, but the thought of new Danganronpa content revealed at the Game Awards would be pretty cool.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I really hope what Sabi said on twitter is a hint at new Danganronpa content in general. I doubt it's Smash related, but the thought of new Danganronpa content revealed at the Game Awards would be pretty cool.
I don't know if I want the series to continue without Kodaka. I think V3 really wrapped things up beautifully. Some ports to the Switch would be awesome, though. I'd buy a Danganronpa Collection for sure.

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
I don't know if I want the series to continue without Kodaka. I think V3 really wrapped things up beautifully. Some ports to the Switch would be awesome, though. I'd buy a Danganronpa Collection for sure.
Yeah I might buy the switch ports too if they are ever coming. I'd really love it if Ultra Despair Girls also got ported to the switch somehow.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
I'm wary about that myself, but due to job listings we know they are indeed planning on making another Danganronpa game. Said listings were specifically ones for 3-D so either... constructing a new hub world to explore or a successor to Ultra Despair Girls. I think it's something we gotta wait and see on, and then depending how it ends up to then give our opinions on if the series should continue without Kodaka or not.

A DR series collection has been rumored to coming to the switch multiple times throughout the years, though most have been seemingly fake. But I'd love to see ports to the Switch, I think it'd just be a great console to have them on especially since we've had Monokuma appearing as a guest boss fight or costume in RPGs, Tower-Defense games, and whatever genre the 3DS version of Attack on Titan 2 was. Having the actual games on Nintendo systems to explain to the hardcore Nintendo fans "who is this bear that keeps appearing in games on my Nintendo systems?"

That said, I can do with or without Junko, I can see her getting excluded yet also included since for the first two games she kinda was Monokuma. That said we also lack descriptions on spirits like we had on trophies nowadays, so that's another issue out of the way. That said, the spirits don't exactly give context besides the characters name and series, so she could very well be /just/ a spirit and nothing would exactly be spoiled besides her appearance.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Would Monokuma be considered suitable for the VGAs?

Because Danganronpa does seem to have an incredibly large Western following.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Here's a banger for the people that are interested in SiIvaGunner:

"Hey, boss. How do we transition from Monokuma's theme to Phoenix's theme?"

"We don't."

In all seriousness, what's going on with this "King for Another Day" tournament? Is it like a popularity poll or something?

GustavoAlves

Smash Cadet
"Hey, boss. How do we transition from Monokuma's theme to Phoenix's theme?"

"We don't."

In all seriousness, what's going on with this "King for Another Day" tournament? Is it like a popularity poll or something?
It's a popularity poll in which 32 constestants compete to take over the SiIvagunner channel for a day. The channel mainly focus on videogame parody songs and mashups. Monokuma and Phoenix Wright are participating as one single contestant, called "Law & Disorder".

Each character represents sources for parodies (or "rips", as they call it), and in Law & Disorder's case, they represent mystery games soundtracks, as well as court-related music. The tournament works in a double elimination format, and thoughout the event "rips" like the one above are uploaded to promote the contestants.

There was another tournament like this last year, and Unregistered Hypercam 2 won, giving us some great rips. This year, the number of contestants doubled, and the newcomers were announced on Silvagunner Directs (yep) and in surprise reveals in the end of regular rips, with a cool jingle to grab the attention of the listener and all. There's also this cool subplot where Mr. Bean was the final contestant, but got attacked and Phoenix and Monokuma took their place and are supposed to investigate who did it to clear Maya of suspicion.

That being said, that was the Smash-like announcement that will keep me happy even if those two don't get in the actual Smash, especially since I rooted for them to be announced as a duo since the tournament was revealed.

You can check more about the tournament here, as well as meet the other characters. There are some great choices, such as MissingNo representing glitched games and creepypastas.

And remember: vote for the sources, not for the characters.

Last edited:

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
Thanks for explaining GustavoAlves GustavoAlves I had a pretty hard time thinking how to write this myself, but you explained it pretty well.

Also C chocolatejr9 if you don't know who SiIvaGunner is, here's an small example of what they usually do and what the takeover will look like for whoever wins King for Another Day:

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I don't know much about Danganronpa, i'm only just getting into the series. But Monokuma would be really cool to see.
I had an idea for a stage, it's kind of plain but i like it. The stage would take place during a class trial. With the students in the middle of a trial. It would probably just be the THH students, But they could throw in some V2 and V3 students as well.
The students would be randomly selected, akin to KOF Arena. However, Students aren't the only things to appear. Some students will be replaced with the sign, showing that they got "Game Ended" These don't do anything. It's just an visual change.

I don't have a layout or gimmick in mind, though.
In terms of a stage I like the idea of having a transforming stage that starts off at Hope's Peak's Academy and eventually enters the trial room.

I feel a bit like having the trial room on its own might clash a little if Ace Attorney gets a courtroom stage.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
This is about to be hardcore levels of reaching, but this is something I think may improve our chances slightly.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/78197649?jumpto=14#14

Someone speculated that FP5 would be niche, and Vergeben immediately shot down anything Nippon Ichi Software related. (Best known for Disgaea series) Without being prompted at all.

Maybe this is just wishful thinking, but that this would’ve been the absolute perfect time to shoot down a Spike Chunsoft rep. Especially since I’ve seen a bit of support growing for Monokuma outside of this thread.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Would Monokuma be considered suitable for the VGAs?

Because Danganronpa does seem to have an incredibly large Western following.
Honestly when it comes to Sakurai it wouldn't matter their popularity to be put at the game awards or not. But uh... probably with that reasoning regardless, though always a reminder Smash is another way of getting other game series' well known and out there.

This is about to be hardcore levels of reaching, but this is something I think may improve our chances slightly.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/78197649?jumpto=14#14

Someone speculated that FP5 would be niche, and Vergeben immediately shot down anything Nippon Ichi Software related. (Best known for Disgaea series) Without being prompted at all.

Maybe this is just wishful thinking, but that this would’ve been the absolute perfect time to shoot down a Spike Chunsoft rep. Especially since I’ve seen a bit of support growing for Monokuma outside of this thread.
Thing is, doesn't exactly mean it has to be a niche company and could be a niche game owned by a well-known company. An example would be another character I support: KOS-MOS from Xenosaga (yes, its a different series from Xenoblade) it's a niche series but is owned by Namco, who obviously is a well-known company. That said I do say it helps with Monokuma's chances, either with FP5 or beyond.

Since as Sakurai said, as long as the character is fun to play as, their popularity or well-knowness is not a factor.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I kinda want Phoenix and Monokuma both in. It just feels like the other one being there makes their presence that much better.

Last edited:

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Vergeben has now deconfirmed anyone from Ubisoft and Falcom.

Spike Chunsoft has yet to be thanos snapped off the list of potentials for Fighter 5.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Vergeben has now deconfirmed anyone from Ubisoft and Falcom.

Spike Chunsoft has yet to be thanos snapped off the list of potentials for Fighter 5.
Friendly reminder that Sakurai has praised Kodakas work before and Spike Chunsoft has a pretty good relationship with Nintendo. Not to mention Monokuma fits what Reggie said perfectly.

If we can survive the deconfirmation wave to the VGAs, we might actually have a shot.

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
Here's another track from the SiIvaGunner KFAD:

I'm not sure what Danganronpa track this is based off (never played V3), but it uses some voicelines from the first game which I thought was pretty cool.

Also hearing the recent news of Resident Evil getting spirits and Dante seemingly deconfirmed for FP5 makes me more hyped for Phoenix, which automatically hypes me up more for Monokuma too.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Friendly reminder that Sakurai has praised Kodakas work before and Spike Chunsoft has a pretty good relationship with Nintendo. Not to mention Monokuma fits what Reggie said perfectly.

If we can survive the deconfirmation wave to the VGAs, we might actually have a shot.
My biggest hope lies in the Ultimate Despair.

Last edited:

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Monokuma is pretty much my impossible dream pick that seems slightly less impossible than it did a year ago. I unfortunately think there's a lot holding it back, with Kodaka's departure from Spike Chunsoft being a big one. Of course it's also a totally Kodaka thing to do to give him out after making something like V3, even if it's technically not entirely his decision, heh.

But yeah, I'd love him to get in just to see what the fanbase would do with that. I'd be ecstatic to see fanmade execution animations for every single character on the roster specifically in the typical Rui Komatsuzaki animation art style.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
We did hit a point where we went from claiming characters like Banjo-Kazooie were impossible picks to now we're seeing characters like Monokuma or Reimu are possible now with serious discussion.

I'm not complaining. Lesser known characters like Monokuma would thrive well and add some uniqueness to the DLC cast.

Sidenote: If Monokuma gets in, I'll be disappointed if his trailer doesn't involve him and Banjo fighting. Because bears.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Monokuma is pretty much my impossible dream pick that seems slightly less impossible than it did a year ago. I unfortunately think there's a lot holding it back, with Kodaka's departure from Spike Chunsoft being a big one. Of course it's also a totally Kodaka thing to do to give him out after making something like V3, even if it's technically not entirely his decision, heh.

But yeah, I'd love him to get in just to see what the fanbase would do with that. I'd be ecstatic to see fanmade execution animations for every single character on the roster specifically in the typical Rui Komatsuzaki animation art style.
Kojima left Konami in an incredibly ugly split, but Snake is still on our CSS.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Kojima left Konami in an incredibly ugly split, but Snake is still on our CSS.
This is true, but Snake was also a legacy character. I'd also argue that Konami and Kojima being on bad terms actually makes him make MORE sense than Monokuma because there's no respect for the original creator there. You can just puppet around the corpse of a once great franchise.

To my knowledge, Kodaka and Spike are still on great terms. They'd totally want Kodaka's input if they were gonna loan Monokuma out, which involves a lot more red tape. I mean, I think he'd most definitely say yes, but it might involve more corporate nonsense than other characters (not that that's stopped Sakurai before).

That said, I'd almost say how V3 ended is a bigger roadblock than anything corporate, but again, it's totally a Kodaka thing to do to lend him out AFTER something like that.

And BTW:

Nippon Ichi related could refer to Danganronopa as well. NIS America published the series at one point, which is technically related.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
This is true, but Snake was also a legacy character. I'd also argue that Konami and Kojima being on bad terms actually makes him make MORE sense than Monokuma because there's no respect for the original creator there. You can just puppet around the corpse of a once great franchise.

To my knowledge, Kodaka and Spike are still on great terms. They'd totally want Kodaka's input if they were gonna loan Monokuma out, which involves a lot more red tape. I mean, I think he'd most definitely say yes, but it might involve more corporate nonsense than other characters (not that that's stopped Sakurai before).

That said, I'd almost say how V3 ended is a bigger roadblock than anything corporate, but again, it's totally a Kodaka thing to do to lend him out AFTER something like that.

And BTW:

Nippon Ichi related could refer to Danganronopa as well. NIS America published the series at one point, which is technically related.
But when it comes to a Danganronpa character, Spike is the company that comes to everyones minds. Everyone just thought that Disgaea was deconfirmed after he said that.

If he wanted to shoot that down, he could’ve easily just said “Its not from Spike Chunsoft”, considering he is deconfirming literally every single possible company right now. That would’ve ended the conversation very quickly.

Last edited:

cosmicB

Smash Ace
But when it comes to a Danganronpa character, Spike is the company that comes to everyones minds. Everyone just thought that Disgaea was deconfirmed after he said that.

If he wanted to shoot that down, he could’ve easily just said “Its not from Spike Chunsoft”, considering he is deconfirming literally every single possible company right now. That would’ve ended the conversation very quickly.
Yeah I know, just saying that it's technically NIS related. We'd need Verge to clarify to know exactly what he's referring to and we know that isn't going to happen.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
https://mobile.twitter.com/New_WabiSabi/status/1200154157769883648

Looks like Verge was just referring to the IPs that Nippon owned.

I should’ve phrased it like it wasn’t 100% confirmed.

However, with the way Sabi phrased that, I think they did just mean the IPs that they own. Though some are still asking that question, it seemed that also many people were just treating Disgaea as deconfirmed
I don't think that's definitive until she specifically says Nippon-owned. There are even people asking that question, which Sabi hasn't responded to yet.
(Sorry for the weird layout, i replied to my post by mistake.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Yeah, it was probably just said to deconfirm Disgaea and any internationally published stuff aren't part of that. Just saying there's wiggle room with the wording.

Is Verge familiar enough with Danganronpa to know about NIS publishing it in some regions?

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
What songs would you guys be interested in seeing? Here is what I imagine what the music list would look like:

Discussion - Break
Discussion - Heat up
Discussion - Panic
Discussion - Debate Scrum (my favorite)
New World Order
Monokuma's Lesson
Monokuma's Tutoring
Beautiful Dead (New Remix)
Distrust
Despair - Syndrome (New Remix maybe? To me it could work as a battle theme if tweaked, but then again we have songs like Hanenbow and others)

I tried narrowing it down to 10 as that seems to be the estimate and minimum (outside of Square Enix who for some reason has a stupid rule of only allowing 2 songs per game). And I attempted to have some variety and bring in most of the iconic and best songs. Some of these could be made better as battle songs if remixed. Sakurai remixed most of the Banjo songs, but there are also some songs already in Smash that don't really fit the feel of battle, but whatever.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
What songs would you guys be interested in seeing? Here is what I imagine what the music list would look like:

Discussion - Break
Discussion - Heat up
Discussion - Panic
Discussion - Debate Scrum (my favorite)
New World Order
Monokuma's Lesson
Monokuma's Tutoring
Beautiful Dead (New Remix)
Distrust
Despair - Syndrome (New Remix maybe? To me it could work as a battle theme if tweaked, but then again we have songs like Hanenbow and others)

I tried narrowing it down to 10 as that seems to be the estimate and minimum (outside of Square Enix who for some reason has a stupid rule of only allowing 2 songs per game). And I attempted to have some variety and bring in most of the iconic and best songs. Some of these could be made better as battle songs if remixed. Sakurai remixed most of the Banjo songs, but there are also some songs already in Smash that don't really fit the feel of battle, but whatever.
Let's Kill Each Other

Imaging that played at a grand final. That track legitimately unsettled me when I played V3, though it was also 2 AM and I wasn't feeling well, so that probably contributed. Just pure anxiety in audio form.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
The Danganronpa IP is owned by Spike Chunsoft, thus it's a Spike Chunsoft series, not an NIS one or whatever, they just localize it.

That said, Kodaka has said he'd like to see someone else tackle Danganronpa so... honestly I think he's very lax with that sort of stuff if Monokuma is used or not.

Kevinhend

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kevinhend
3DS FC
1504-5780-8640
Since I finally dusted off my Smashboards account I wanted to let my support for Monokuma be known. (I had been lurking here for a little while now)

As for an actual contribution to this thread's discussion, I recently discovered Nintendo own 1.5% of the shares in Dwango, the company that fully owns Spike Chunsoft. (Thus indirectly owning 1.5% of Spike Chunsoft unless my negative knowledge of business starts shining through)
Which, combined with Sakurai's comments on Kodaka and his work makes me at least think he's on Nintendo's radar.
Let's hope it means a little more than just that.

Last edited:

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Welp, my girl KOS-MOS got knocked out of the competition for Fighter Number 5 with that.

Now my final hope for fighter five I have... lies in... despair.

The one who has so far survived the thanos snapping of series and companies left and right.

Gather here and now Remnants of Despair! Our time to drown the world in smash into despair may be near!
1575172199424.png

source just in case: https://www.reddit.com/r/danganronpa/comments/ahgxey/what_have_you_got_there_monokuma/

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Welp, my girl KOS-MOS got knocked out of the competition for Fighter Number 5 with that.

Now my final hope for fighter fives I have also lies in... despair.

The one who has so far survived the thanos snapping of series and companies left and right.

Gather here and now Remnants of Despair! Our time to drown the world in smash into despair may be near!
View attachment 249121
I’d recommend playing this minutes before the VGAs start for maximum hype.

https://youtu.be/k5HuHnhHxXY

Top Bottom