• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mascot of Despair, Monokuma Punishes the Competition!

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
If a Danganronpa stage was given up to 20 cameos just like KOF, who would you all choose to fill those slots spanning all three games? This is assuming Monokuma is the rep, of course, and also consider the possibility that Junko might be in his taunts.

Last edited:

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
If a Danganronpa stage was given up to 20 cameos just like KOF, who would you all choose to fill those slots spanning all three games? This is assuming Monokuma is the rep, of course, and also consider the possibility that Junko might be in his taunts.
Twenty huh? Well then... lets start game by game/anime.

DR1:
1. Makoto Naegi
2. Kyoko Kirigiri
3. Toko Fukawa
4. Byakuya Togami
5. Mukuro Ikusaba (not in her Junko disguise)

DR2:
6. Hajime Hinata
7. Nagito Komaeda
8. Chiaki Nanami
9. Fuyuhiko Kuzuryu
10. Monomi

DRV3:
11. Shuichhi Saihara
12. Kaede Akamatsu
13. Kaito Momota
14. Maki Harukawa
15. Kokichi Oma
16. Tsumugi Shirogane

Spin-off & DR3:
17. Komaru Naegi
18. Kyosuke Munakata
19. Juzo Sakakura
20. Either Chisa Yukizome, Ryota Mitarai, or Kazou Tengan. (that or remove Tsumugi or Kokichi and free up another spot for another one of these three).

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
For me that'd be:

DR1:
Makoto
Kyoko
Byakuya
Celestia
Sayaka
Toko + Genocide Jack

DR2:
Hajime
Nagito
Fuyuhiko
Chiaki
Ibuki
Gundham + 4 Dark Devas of Destruction

DRV3:
Shuichi
Kaede
Maki
Kokichi (he HAS to be there)
Miu
Monokid
Monotaro (I want him to scream "Fatheeeer" all the time)

DRAE:
Komaru

This franchise's got way too many interesting characters. The only exception is the entire cast from DR3.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord

I'm gonna go with 6 from each game (1, 2, V3) and then 1 from UDG [I'd have included from the 3 Anime (if Final Fantasy, Pokemon and SNK can get away with non-video game references, DR can too), but there were too many important ones to snub)]:

1:

Makoto Naegi
Sayaka Maizono
Kyoko Kirigiri
Byakuya Togami
Kyotaka Ishimaru
Mondo Oowada

No Aoi Asahina because Smash is for good boys and girls

2:

Hajime Hinata
Chiaki Nanami
Nagito Komaeda
Gundham Tanaka
Sonia Nevermind
Kazuichi Souda

No Akane Owari, Mikan Tsumiki or Teruteru Hanamura because Smash is for good boys and girls

V3:

Kaede Akamatsu
Shuichi Saihara
Kokichi Oma
K1-B0
Maki Harukawa
Kaito Momota

No Miu Iruma because Smash is for good boys and girls

Misc:

Komaru Naegi

"I tried to get the "main" characters while also having at least one "different" one to mix it up [except V3 because too many are important).]

Did I put too many survivors?

Note: Before anyone goes crazy on me for my "good boys and girls" jokes, they're just jokes and I'm sure there's a way to implement most of them without bumping up ESRB/Pegi/CERO ratings. However, I could still see Sakurai turning those cameos down because of their designs and/or behaviors.

Last edited:

GustavoAlves

Smash Cadet
That said before anyone asks, regardless of Junko Enoshima's representation as a victory screen, taunt, spirit, cameo, etc. etc. I think Junko would be fine, as seemingly the main issue I think with Mai is her outfit and not exactly her bust size. Since Mai wears, as you would know if you searched her up, basically a loincloth and while her bust size does factor into it due to her outfit... Junko is much more covered up despite her bust being on the larger side as well, so I wouldn't worry about Junko all that much and if she'd get in smash in any way or not.
Well, I think Junko wouldn't be fine for other reasons not related to her appearance (at least not how you'd think). It would be douchy to show the main bad guy of a mystery game when you're literally introducing it to millions of potential players.

Even in Shulk's case, they didn't give much context to Fiora's appearance in his final Smash, and even so they waited 4 whole years before including her in the game. If Junko appeared alongside Monokuma in a taunt or a victory pose, it wouldn't be that hard to connect the dots.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Well, I think Junko wouldn't be fine for other reasons not related to her appearance (at least not how you'd think). It would be douchy to show the main bad guy of a mystery game when you're literally introducing it to millions of potential players.

Even in Shulk's case, they didn't give much context to Fiora's appearance in his final Smash, and even so they waited 4 whole years before including her in the game. If Junko appeared alongside Monokuma in a taunt or a victory pose, it wouldn't be that hard to connect the dots.
I mean technically Mecha Fiora was in Smash 4 as a trophy but uh... alright. Plus I mean... I'm the type of person that says if you're complaining about spoilers for something that's been out for more than five years, its on you and your fault and its essentially free game. But I see where you're coming from.

While in Japan the first game has been out for more than that and the first game has been out for almost six years now (in Japan it's been out as long as Xenoblade 1 has), I'd say Junko with Monokuma is fine, especially since in more recent DR-related things, she's not necessarily the "main antagonist", not gonna name them since they've been out for less than five years but those with knowledge know why. That said, Smash and its consistency with the lack of spoilers or giving spoilers is a messy history, doesn't help in the case of avoiding spoilers some official marketing and such though has essentially already given her away.

Just searching "danganronpa" in youtube gives you a few videos with her in the thumbnail within the first ten videos, at least for me anyways. Same somewhat goes for if you search up "danganronpa anime" as well. That said just searching up "monokuma" in youtube has her in the thumbnail of the 23rd video.

This is obviously something highly debatable and I can do with or without Junko in all truths but until for example... we get a DR trilogy on the switch, I don't think it'd be that much of an issue to include the actual Junko in, that said I do expect her to be more so a spirit than anything else.

GustavoAlves

Smash Cadet
I mean technically Mecha Fiora was in Smash 4 as a trophy but uh... alright. Plus I mean... I'm the type of person that says if you're complaining about spoilers for something that's been out for more than five years, its on you and your fault and its essentially free game. But I see where you're coming from.

While in Japan the first game has been out for more than that and the first game has been out for almost six years now (in Japan it's been out as long as Xenoblade 1 has), I'd say Junko with Monokuma is fine, especially since in more recent DR-related things, she's not necessarily the "main antagonist", not gonna name them since they've been out for less than five years but those with knowledge know why. That said, Smash and its consistency with the lack of spoilers or giving spoilers is a messy history, doesn't help in the case of avoiding spoilers some official marketing and such though has essentially already given her away.

Just searching "danganronpa" in youtube gives you a few videos with her in the thumbnail within the first ten videos, at least for me anyways. Same somewhat goes for if you search up "danganronpa anime" as well. That said just searching up "monokuma" in youtube has her in the thumbnail of the 23rd video.

This is obviously something highly debatable and I can do with or without Junko in all truths but until for example... we get a DR trilogy on the switch, I don't think it'd be that much of an issue to include the actual Junko in, that said I do expect her to be more so a spirit than anything else.
Yeah, what I think probably will happen if Monokuma make it as a DLC fighter is:
Junko is absent from the fighter itself, but will appear as a legendary spirit anyway.

I don't know, it just seems the most Smash thing to do

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
It’d be interesting to see a Danganronpa character to get into Smash, with a stage that has music from the series. Both originals and new remixes. They should get Masafumi Takada to do a Danganronpa Smash Remix!

Hedgehugs

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-7897-0445-8488
probably a lame answer but i'd probably just put all the survivors of each game, maybe minus or adding a few depending on what the end number is.

how do you think junko would get into one of his taunts, tho?

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
probably a lame answer but i'd probably just put all the survivors of each game, maybe minus or adding a few depending on what the end number is.

how do you think junko would get into one of his taunts, tho?
Seeming as Joker and Hero have had taunts where another character just appears from out of nowhere... I assume that would how she would be implemented as a taunt. Just popping up and doing whatever.

That is if she is a taunt, despite me being open to taunts and victory screen apperances of Junko, like Gustavo I do think a Legendary Spirit is more likely.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
Monokuma should be the hopeful(No pun intended) answer here considering he's the mascot and appears in every game in some form. And he has some fighting ability, compared to some of the survivors.

Monokuma is in a weird spot because Sakurai has a bias towards heroic characters but Monokuma is a villain and is the mascot of DR.

But I do want to say I am supportive of the idea of Monokuma in. VNs needs a rep and the only series I think has a remote chance are DR, Ace Attorney, and Fate. And Danganronpa would be fun to see repped in Smash in some way.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Monokuma should be the hopeful(No pun intended) answer here considering he's the mascot and appears in every game in some form. And he has some fighting ability, compared to some of the survivors.

Monokuma is in a weird spot because Sakurai has a bias towards heroic characters but Monokuma is a villain and is the mascot of DR.

But I do want to say I am supportive of the idea of Monokuma in. VNs needs a rep and the only series I think has a remote chance are DR, Ace Attorney, and Fate. And Danganronpa would be fun to see repped in Smash in some way.
Yep those big three are those with the biggest chances, I think everyone agrees with that. Personally I’d actually like to see them all in for the absurdity we’d have a robot teddy bear fighting a defense attorney fighting a king.

But uh... if you recall during Smash 4, Sakurai admitted they had considered Heitachi from Tekken to join Smash Bros. though was just a mini costume in the end because they decided Tekken characters and their move sets are too complex to translate into Smash Bros properly. But why I’m bringing him up is hat fact he’s the mascot for his series and also the main villain/antagonist. So... I think that proves Sakurai is indeed willing to add in the villains first if they’re the mascot of the series as a whole.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
I've been hearing talk (not leaks, but just talking about it) about Naegi/Hajime getting in instead of Monokuma both inside and outside of this thread. How would you guys feel if it did end up being Naegi and/or Hajime as a Danganronpa rep?

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I've been hearing talk (not leaks, but just talking about it) about Naegi/Hajime getting in instead of Monokuma both inside and outside of this thread. How would you guys feel if it did end up being Naegi and/or Hajime as a Danganronpa rep?
To be honest, I really do not care who it is. I just want any representation of one of my favorite series in Smash.

It is just assumed by many that Monokuma would be the rep, because adding them first would be like adding Pokemon Trainer before Pikachu (And for moveset potential, there is more to go off on)

Not only that, but if they added Naegi/Hinata before Monokuma, people would ask “why didn’t they just add Phoenix Wright?”

I highly doubt that Monokuma would spur that reaction, as he is a completely unique character imo

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Monokuma just seems more like a Smash Bro's choice. He's got a bunch of cartoony antics and over the top punishments to draw from.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
If Monokuma was actually FP5, how would people react? Would the reaction be in more line with Joker or Terry?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Well, I just found out somebody went ahead and made a Monokuma for Smash Twitter account. If anyone here is interested, you can give it a follow, see if it helps spread awareness.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I wouldn't like seeing Makoto or Hajime as the danganronpa rep. I do like those characters, especially Hajime as he's my favourite protagonist however...

Monokuma IS Danganronpa in my opinion.

Not only that but Monokuma is easily the character they could do the most with (I mean "Punishment Time" as the final smash, come on) and have the most fun creating a moveset for, the character basically creates itself.

I think there are certain game series that are heavily villain centric, to the point where it makes more sense for them to represent the series, and Danganronpa is one of those game series.

Also...game spoilers.

They could include Junko herself in the Final Smash, Taunts and victory screen. So it would be like two for the price of one.

On another note I really want Phoenix Wright and Monokuma to get in so I can lay down some justice on Monokuma. :p

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I was wondering if they could get away with adding a bit of Pink Blood effects to some of Monokuma's moves. Would that be able to slip past the censors in a "oh joker doesn't have a REAL gun" way?

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
I think Naegi or Hajime making the cut as dlc character makes sense, after all, they were actually playable in the games. Not that I'm against Monokuma or something, I just think a Danganronpa rep in general would be really cool. to have in smash

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
You know how there has been a meme phrase for every single DLC fighter so far?

Joker: “Looking cool Joker!”
Hero: “**** MAD”
Banjo Kazooie: “GUH HUH!”
Terry: “Are you ok?”

If he actually gets in, what should it be for him?

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
You know how there has been a meme phrase for every single DLC fighter so far?

Joker: “Looking cool Joker!”
Hero: “**** MAD”
Banjo Kazooie: “GUH HUH!”
Terry: “Are you ok?”

If he actually gets in, what should it be for him?
There are quite a few memorable quotes off his, so I couldn't pick one.

You could pick from:

"Upupupupu"
"Iiiiit's Punishment Time!!!!"
Or just something about Despair

or maybe even one I'm forgetting or something completely new to Smash

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
There are quite a few memorable quotes off his, so I couldn't pick one.

You could pick from:

"Upupupupu"
"Iiiiit's Punishment Time!!!!"
Or just something about Despair

or maybe even one I'm forgetting or something completely new to Smash
Assuming we’d get stage cameos, pictures of Komaeda and Sans standing next to each other would flood the internet.

D

Deleted member

Danganropa is on PS4 right?

I may see if I can try any of the games if so.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Assuming we’d get stage cameos, pictures of Komaeda and Sans standing next to each other would flood the internet.
Dear god... I-I can't even imagine the chaos that would ensue from that.

But... but... I do know I would enjoy the heck out of it.

That said, has there been anyone else I missed adding to the support list recently or is it up to date or so to say?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I don't know if this necessarily relates to Danganronpa, but Kodaka apparently has some announcements planned for the future.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
I don't know if this necessarily relates to Danganronpa, but Kodaka apparently has some announcements planned for the future.

Most likely doesn't as he no longer works at SE and thus the Danganronpa series, probably talking about the multiple projects they have in the works at Too-kyo games. Which I do look forward to all of them.

TheRockingGoomba

Smash Cadet
I don't know much about Danganronpa, i'm only just getting into the series. But Monokuma would be really cool to see.
I had an idea for a stage, it's kind of plain but i like it. The stage would take place during a class trial. With the students in the middle of a trial. It would probably just be the THH students, But they could throw in some V2 and V3 students as well.
The students would be randomly selected, akin to KOF Arena. However, Students aren't the only things to appear. Some students will be replaced with the sign, showing that they got "Game Ended" These don't do anything. It's just an visual change.

I don't have a layout or gimmick in mind, though.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Can we get a link, cuz anyone can inspect element. You know what, I'll check myse-

*is a real tweet*

Edit: Wait they said it's NOT a hint. It's still suspicious, but I wouldn't go crazy yet. (I had a big false alarm moment lol)
I completely agree with you. Its incredibly suspicious, but I wouldn’t celebrate yet.

In the words of D1

“Remember this tweet, if anything crazy happens. If this actually leads to something, remember this tweet.”

(Ironically, he was referring to when Bill Trinen hinted at Snake a day before his E3 reveal, but immediately backpedaled saying it wasn’t a hint.)

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
giphy (5).gif

Either, its who we think ti is, and Monokuma brings some despair or...

new game or switch ports

Either way, I think its a win-win.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I wish Sabi wasn't coy like this, teasing it but also going back on it. It's impossible to gather if it's true or not. If it's not and it's a troll, kind of a **** move. I'd like her to at least deconfirm him if he's not fp5

Top Bottom