• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mascot of Despair, Monokuma Punishes the Competition!

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Hey there, wanted to throw out my support for our cute little Headmaster of Despair. I acquainted myself with the series a little over a year ago thank's to Lucahjin's playthrough of DR1 and it's quickly shot up to become my very favorite series. Admittedly my preferred Danganronpa character would be a conglomerate of DR students unified under the same character slot as multiple skins (specifically Makoto as the face of the character, along with Kyoko, Hajime, Chiaki, Nagito, Kaede, Shuichi, and Kokichi, basically all the protags and popular characters that would make sense with a moveset centered around truth bullets and the like). That being said, I would be absolutely ecstatic for Monokuma's inclusion were he to make the cut. Getting any Danganronpa content in the game would be, frankly, a dream come true. Let's put all our hope into this fiction to make it a reality.
(Also can we please get a standalone Danganronpa fighting game? Pretty please?)
As someone who also got into the series thanks to Lucahjin's Let's Play, I can confirm they are worth watching.

Also, I have been toying around with how a "student" character would work in Smash. I've been thinking they could at least include the protagonists as alts a la Hero or Bowser Jr., but I've also thought about including a few references to Ultra Despair Girls, though I don't know exactly how.

Akaumei

Smash Rookie
Aaaaa, I want him so badly in Smash! Count me in!
Also, what if he used the execution hammer as his weapon? (Like Kirby's but smaller ig?) I dunno lmao, just an idea xD

Akaumei

Smash Rookie
Also, what if he used the execution hammer as his weapon? (Like Kirby's but smaller ig?) I dunno lmao, just an idea xD
Ignore that, I just read the move ideas and that was already mentioned :')

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Hey, thought i would drop by and say i want this bear in smash. i have no idea what kind of moveset he would have, but i imagine it would be even more bizarre then duck hunt.
Hey there, wanted to throw out my support for our cute little Headmaster of Despair. I acquainted myself with the series a little over a year ago thank's to Lucahjin's playthrough of DR1 and it's quickly shot up to become my very favorite series. Admittedly my preferred Danganronpa character would be a conglomerate of DR students unified under the same character slot as multiple skins (specifically Makoto as the face of the character, along with Kyoko, Hajime, Chiaki, Nagito, Kaede, Shuichi, and Kokichi, basically all the protags and popular characters that would make sense with a moveset centered around truth bullets and the like). That being said, I would be absolutely ecstatic for Monokuma's inclusion were he to make the cut. Getting any Danganronpa content in the game would be, frankly, a dream come true. Let's put all our hope into this fiction to make it a reality.
(Also can we please get a standalone Danganronpa fighting game? Pretty please?)
Welcome to the Remnants of Despair you three! Glad to have ya!

To MegaMarioMan9 specifically, I tried toying with the idea myself on how the students would work, but I honestly couldn't come up with much, Which is why in my head, I kinda just think if we get Monokuma as the fighter, with Junko appearing in victory screens (or... spoiler character from V3), that Makoto Naegi would at the very least be an Assist Trophy firing truth bullets at other fighters or getting some pay-back on our beloved bear of despair. That said if you can come up with something, I wouldn't mind the details being shared.

Now... if Sans getting a Mii Costume of that quality... I wouldn't mind if Monokuma got a Brawler version of that, though I still would prefer him reaching fighter status instead.

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
Welcome to the Remnants of Despair you three! Glad to have ya!

To MegaMarioMan9 specifically, I tried toying with the idea myself on how the students would work, but I honestly couldn't come up with much, Which is why in my head, I kinda just think if we get Monokuma as the fighter, with Junko appearing in victory screens (or... spoiler character from V3), that Makoto Naegi would at the very least be an Assist Trophy firing truth bullets at other fighters or getting some pay-back on our beloved bear of despair. That said if you can come up with something, I wouldn't mind the details being shared.

Now... if Sans getting a Mii Costume of that quality... I wouldn't mind if Monokuma got a Brawler version of that, though I still would prefer him reaching fighter status instead.
I've actually written up some ideas for a moveset. It's not complete by any means, but I've got the specials worked out and a pretty cool gimmick. I'm considering making a thread for the DR students sometime soon, so I'd be happy to share my ideas when I get to that. As for if Monokuma were to make the roster, I imagine they'd do something similar to Persona and Banjo-Kazooie's representation, where a bunch of the students would appear in the background of the stage. I'd be plenty happy with that.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Honestly, Monokuma really is my most wanted atm. Or pretty much any Danganronpa rep at all. If the DLC continues to go in the direction as the 1st fighter pass, I feel like he will have a very good chance. Also, I wouldn’t even mind if he got the Sans treatment, getting Danganronpa content in Smash in any way, shape, or form would be a dream come true.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
Anyone think he's got a shot with the recent announcement of more characters after the fighters pass?
He's my second most wanted character at the moment. He'd be such a wacky addition, plus there really aren't any visual novel reps in the series so far.

I never seem to see anyone talk about him. He definitely doesn't seem to be a very popular pick for some reason. I think he'd fit Smash perfectly.

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Anyone think he's got a shot with the recent announcement of more characters after the fighters pass?
He's my second most wanted character at the moment. He'd be such a wacky addition, plus there really aren't any visual novel reps in the series so far.

I never seem to see anyone talk about him. He definitely doesn't seem to be a very popular pick for some reason. I think he'd fit Smash perfectly.

If the extra DLC continues to go the same route as the first fighters pass, I’d say he might actually be very likely.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
I just don't see ANYONE ever talk about him for some reason. I always thought DR was relatively popular.
Maybe there's just not a lot of hope? As far as I know Danganronpa has like NO connection with Nintendo at all while even Cloud and Joker's series had history with it

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
Maybe there's just not a lot of hope? As far as I know Danganronpa has like NO connection with Nintendo at all while even Cloud and Joker's series had history with it
I may be wrong, but hasn't Sakurai said he enjoys Danganronpa before in some interview?
I don't remember when/where I heard that...

Its pretty shocking that a DR trilogy hasn't been released on Switch yet honestly.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
I may be wrong, but hasn't Sakurai said he enjoys Danganronpa before in some interview?
I don't remember when/where I heard that...

Its pretty shocking that a DR trilogy hasn't been released on Switch yet honestly.
As I remember it, he congratulated the director of Danganronpa on winning some award and commented that he enjoyed his work. Yeah Dangan on Switch would be nice, hopefully in the future!

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
What stage do you guys think they'd go with? The trial room would definitely be the obvious choice, but any other interesting ideas?

Its funny because the spinning mechanic they added to Spiral Mountain seems like it'd be perfect for a DR Trial stage.

Korar

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5170-5706-7228
What stage do you guys think they'd go with? The trial room would definitely be the obvious choice, but any other interesting ideas?

Its funny because the spinning mechanic they added to Spiral Mountain seems like it'd be perfect for a DR Trial stage.
Class trial room, definitely. maybe as it's gimmick, since it would only need to be a texture, maybe have different designs for the background like in its home series?

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
Class trial room, definitely. maybe as it's gimmick, since it would only need to be a texture, maybe have different designs for the background like in its home series?
Yeah I can see that.
This would be SUPER ambitious, but a traveling stage that drops you off in different rooms from Hopes Peak would be amazing.

Monokuma just feels like he fits Smash so well. I've seen people suggest some of the students, but I really can't see anyone other than Monokuma being all that interesting to play as.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Yo! So, the soundtrack is great, and hypothetically if we got Danganronpa in Smash, and the music was limited to 10, I'd hope for something close to this playlist I made! What do y'all think? Anything really important I'm missing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOpHT6gZ0Rs&list=PLTqej2GhAVX6e5xpCOsE_aUGOHoXmQAYd&index=1

People who haven't played Danganronpa yet, maybe open in an incognito window or something, I'd hate for youtube recommendations and comments to spoil you! And they definitely will, you can't even google Danganronpa without getting spoiled pwsh, and the first comment in the first song of this playlist is a spoiler so seriously, be careful!

Oh, and just to write it out for convenience:
- Danganronpa 1's Investigation Theme
- Danganronpa 1's Investigation Theme Remix
- Distrust (Spinoff Remix)
- Danganronpa 2's Investigation Theme
- Danganronpa 2's Investigation Theme Remix
- Love is Survival
- Danganronpa V3's Investigation Theme Remix
- Scrum Debate
- Climax Return
- Discussion ~ Hope Vs Despair

Last edited:

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Yeah I can see that.
This would be SUPER ambitious, but a traveling stage that drops you off in different rooms from Hopes Peak would be amazing.

Monokuma just feels like he fits Smash so well. I've seen people suggest some of the students, but I really can't see anyone other than Monokuma being all that interesting to play as.
I feel like a traveling stage would make the most sense, probably of just Hopes Peak but of course Jabberwock Island and the Ultimate Academy for Gifted Juveniles could work as well. That said I feel like the trail room idea would work like Persona's where the style would change depending on the music from each entry. That said, while if I remember correctly 1 and V3 only had on design (with V3 maybe only having slight color changes to it), the thing that makes this potentially a bit harder to do is the fact 2 had a different class trial room for every case, or has multiple that has different themes and construction to them. That said, it's been some time since I've seen the trial rooms of 2, so I might be wrong on that.

I guess for some reason they could also do a traveling stage of Towa City as well, but my money is on a traveling stage that gives us a tour of Hopes Peak Academy, maybe with it ending up in the trial room before it resets the loop?

That said, Monokuma has been on a Nintendo System about 4 times, but Danganronpa as a series has had no presence, but Spike Chunsoft is a third-party developer Nintendo trusts time to time to make games of their biggest IPs... So I feel like that wouldn't even be a problem in this case.

Yo! So, the soundtrack is great, and hypothetically if we got Danganronpa in Smash, and the music was limited to 10, I'd hope for something close to this playlist I made! What do y'all think? Anything really important I'm missing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOpHT6gZ0Rs&list=PLTqej2GhAVX6e5xpCOsE_aUGOHoXmQAYd&index=1

People who haven't played Danganronpa yet, maybe open in an incognito window or something, I'd hate for youtube recommendations and comments to spoil you! And they definitely will, you can't even google Danganronpa without getting spoiled pwsh, and the first comment in the first song of this playlist is a spoiler so seriously, be careful!

Oh, and just to write it out for convenience:
- Danganronpa 1's Investigation Theme
- Danganronpa 1's Investigation Theme Remix
- Distrust (Spinoff Remix)
- Danganronpa 2's Investigation Theme
- Danganronpa 2's Investigation Theme Remix
- Love is Survival
- Danganronpa V3's Investigation Theme Remix
- Scrum Debate
- Climax Return
- Discussion ~ Hope Vs Despair

In general I think these are great choices actually, even if personally I'd want them to avoid a Dark Samus situation and include one of Monokuma's theme songs (they're not exactly the most... battle pumping music tracks, but I feel like they'd probably get a remix in Smash Bros. to make them that way)

So basically, the only change I would make is adding a remix (or just the normal version) of "Mr. Monokuma's Lesson" in the list, only problem is I have no idea which one it'd replace in the list, I was thinking "Love is Survival" but I feel like it would actually really fit within Smash's soundtrack. Maybe Box 15 then? Since Box 16 is already a remix of it, and I honestly feel like Box 16 might just be more like battle-music than it's original version. That said, "Mr. Monokuma's Tutoring" might also be a good fit, even if it isn't exactly Monokuma's theme song but is rather one that plays when things are getting intense.

Last edited:

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
I remembered smash boards doesn't like me double posting and I keep forgetting that, so... moved the reply here from my previous post. Now to wait for this to get deleted.

Last edited:

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
So, Kodaka and Too-kyo game's new project has been revealed and it's this.

Guess the main antagonist is Monokuma and Night's child. You can't tell me they don't look like that. It's called Death March Club.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
So, Kodaka and Too-kyo game's new project has been revealed and it's this.

Guess the main antagonist is Monokuma and Night's child. You can't tell me they don't look like that. It's called Death March Club.
Until I know their real name, I will call them "Monomidna".

GustavoAlves

Smash Cadet
I have spent more time than I am willing to admit planning a moveset for this damn bear. I intended to make a full thread regarding him, but I saw this existed and I'm afraid duplicates aren't allowed, so here's my take on Monokuma's Moveset, which is quite different from the ones I saw beforehand. Bear (ha) in mind that I wrote this without reading this thread, so there might be things you already discussed in there.

I imagined the moveset in a way which would be spoiler-free to those who don't know the franchise, but I can't explain it in a spoiler-free way. But if you're already a fan or you just don't care, here you go!

WARNING: Spoilers for EVERY Danganronpa media below.

I tried to implement a moveset full of (spoilery) nods, but that also is tricky to deal with, in a way that figuring out Monokuma is like solving a mystery, since this is a key aspect of the source games. This also works based on the fact that Monokuma is annoying in-universe as well.
Monokuma has a certain "gimmick" on its moveset, so I will be skipping the moves that use it, and explain them later.

Entrance: Monokuma pops from the ground exactly like he does when introducing himself in DR1/2, most commonly before giving out motives in DR1.

Special Attacks

Neutral Special - "Truth Bullet". Monokuma charges and shoots a Truth Bullet at the opponent, while yelling variations of "No, that's wrong!". Each bullet can have a random word written on it like "despair", "hope", "future", etc. Can be stored. BONUS: Kirby will yell the classic sentence.
Up Special - "Blast Off!", Monokuma rides the rocket that is used on Jin's/Kaito's Punishment, causing damage on its way, and then crash-landing it. The trajectory would be similar to Dedede's Up B. Monokuma may exit the rocket mid-tragectory (going free-fall) or not, but if he doesn't, the impact causes extra damage, similar to Villager's Lloyd Rocket. An ideal move for tricking the opponent.
Side Special - "Monokubs". Monokuma launches a random Monokub. While the special button is pressed, Monokuma holds a button and the Monokub keeps walking. When the player lets go of the buttom, Monokuma presses his buttom and explodes the Monokub. Reflects the very "caring" nature of Monokuma shown thoughout DRV3.
Down Special - Part of the gimmick. I'll explain it later.

Smash Attacks

Up Smash - Spears of Gungnir. Doesn't have great launching power, but cause more damage than average. Has a sweetspot which can pin the opponents. Used in Junko/Mukuro's murder. This is easiest attack to imagine if you know the source.
Side Smash - Part of the gimmick. I'll explain it later.
Down Smash - Flamethrower - Monokuma used a flamethrower to jump and blast flames below him, covering a big horizontal range. Used in Gonta's Punishment, and also somewhat references Celes' Punishment.

Tilt Attacks

Jab - Regular punches that end in the uppercut used agains Monomi.
Up Tilt - MEAT THE BONE ON. Monokuma gets down and points a skewer upwards, similar to how Teruteru kills the Ultimate Imposter
Side Tilt - Monokuma uses a salmon as a punching bag, which can hit opponents. References a scene in the anime.
Down Tilt - Monokuma picks up the Monokuma File, similar to Villager's Down Tilt, but with less damage/knockback and covering a bigger area.

Aerials

Neutral Air - Monokuma extends his claws to keep opponents away. I'm not sure if Monokuma should spin while doing so or not.
Up Air - Monokuma just swings a salmon above him.
Forward Air - Monokuma blasts the bazooka used in the fight against Akane/Nekomaru in DR2, covering a short area and launching him backwards.
Back Air - Monokuma grabs Monomi her by her feet and spins her, hitting opponents. References any interaction between the two of them in DR2.
Down Air - Part of the gimmick, i'll explain it later.

Grab moves

Grab - Monokuma launches a claw that can grab the opponent and bring it to him, similar to how Leon's/Teruteru's/Kaede's Punishment begun. Can grab ledges, but can't damage opponents mid-air.
Pummel - Monokuma repeatedly used his gavel agains the poor opponent's head.
Up Throw - Monokuma flings his arms upwards and throws the opponent, similar to a sprite where he is yelling and doing a similar pose.
Forward Throw - Monokuma swings a Truth Blade, launching the opponent.
Back Throw - The suplex Monomi repeatedly used on him when trying to kill him.
Down Throw - Smoke rises from the ground as Monokuma fights the opponent in a comic manner (like he did with Monomi many times), launching him afterwards.

Movement stuff

Run animation - The same goofy one from Ultra Despair Girls. Not very fast.
Dash Attack - A slash attack with his claws.

Final Smash

It's Punishment Time!
Monokuma uses his gavel to hit a bell, beggining Punishment time. He then disappears, and the screen gets covered by the same UI as the Nonstop Debate segments. The player can move a reticle during a select time (4 seconds?) and shoot players. After the time runs out, every player that got shot gets dragged away by a chain and ends up in Naegi/Kirigiri's Punishment, except the fighters are not on a chair, just layed down until they are crushed. Don't worry, they don't die, they only get comically launched afterwards.

This could be replaced by any other punishment, including an original one, but I tried to include the most iconic and spoiler-free in the franchise (because we can't determine who gets executed from this scenery alone).

Gimmick: The Murder Weapons

In Monokuma's Down Special, Monokuma can select between 5 truth bullets, in a menu similar to the one just before a Nonstop Debates.
But instead of selecting "evidence", the player can choose between 5 murder weapons, each of them being represented by a single command (up, down, left, right or Nothing), and having different properties. Besides that, the other players won't know what weapon was selected until Monokuma uses it.
Those weapons affect Monokuma's Forward Smash and Down Aerial. In the case of the Down Aerial, Monokuma launches itself downwards while holding said weapon.
Without further delay, the weapons are:

- Baseball Bat. Used in Mahiru's murder, also referencing Leon's Punishment. Has a bigger launch rate.
- Hammer. NOT used in Mechamaru's Murder. Also references Hifumi's/Taka's murder. Does more damage to shields, despite the lower range. Spikes if used in the Down Aerial.
- Shot Put Ball. Used in Rantaro's murder. Is thrown, rather than swung. Can be a edgeguarding tool. Is not thrown on the down aerial.
- Wooden Plank. Used in Angie's/Tenko's/Ryoma's murder. Has a bigger range. Also includes seesaw jokes in Smash.
- Bomb. Not a weapon per se, but makes Monokuma self-destruct, with a little alarm ringing beforehand. References every instance of him blowing up, and kind of references Keebo's death in DRV3. Also kind of references every instance where there was no murder, but a suicide.

Taunts

Down Taunt - Monokuma charges energy like he does in 2-6 before transforming into Giga Junko.
Side Taunt - Monokuma unleashes his classic laughter (Upupupu/Puhuhuhu) while covering his mouth.
Up Taunt - The dance he does in the anime opening.

Victory Animations

Monokuma sitting on a chair while holding a beverage, tauntingly looking at the screen, like he appears in most games.
Monokuma Losing His **** from laughing too hard, similar to Wario.
Smoke covering the screen, then revealing Monokuma in its Junko pose (without Junko, obviously)

Alternate colors

Shirokuma
Kurokuma
Conductor Monokuma (the outfit he used in Kaede's Punishment)
Worker Monokuma (the outfit he used in Alter Ego's Punishment. It is also used in V3 when revealing that the motive video for Ryoma is empty)
Beach Monokuma (the outfit used in promotional material for DR2)
Teacher Monokuma (the outfit used in Naegi's/Kirigiri's Punishment)
Alter-Ego Monokuma (similar to the Hidden Monokumas of 2-6, also paying homage to Alter Ego Chihiro/Junko/Gonta)

No Monokubs/Monomi here, since they are a part of the moveset.

Dizzy Animation: Monokuma just sits and moves his head, identical to how he looks after spinning too much in Mondo's Punishment.

Kirby: When Kirby inhales Monokuma, he basically becames Ball Monokuma from Ultra Despair Girls, which is hilarious.

What about the stage?
That's a given: The Trial Ground!
The Trial Ground is the place in which the class trials are held. It is located underground, and students can access it via a long elevator, which is sure to have less people on the way back up.
In the Trial Ground, every living student stays in its designated place, forming a circle, making it appropriate for heated debates with high stakes, while Monokuma stays in a throne and enjoys the bickering... unless he sleeps or gets distracted during the whole thing, which has happened before.

This location has many incarnations, but the most likely candidates are the first incarnations from the three main games.

What could be done for the Reveal Trailer?
Many things, actually. It can be a punishment with a random Smash character that reveals Monokuma at the end. It can be a long animated sequence that introduces Phoenix Wright (and maybe Professor Layton) as well without revealing it as Smash Bros until the very end. And, in the best-case scenario...it can be both. The possibilites are endless.
The gameplay sequence of the trailer can have random Danganronpa characters commenting the fact that Monokuma is playable and telling the other fighters to don't lose hope. Now that would be cool. Yeah.

Last edited:

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
I have spent more time than I am willing to admit planning a moveset for this damn bear. I intended to make a full thread regarding him, but I saw this existed and I'm afraid duplicates aren't allowed, so here's my take on Monokuma's Moveset, which is quite different from the ones I saw beforehand. Bear (ha) in mind that I wrote this without reading this thread, so there might be things you already discussed in there.

I imagined the moveset in a way which would be spoiler-free to those who don't know the franchise, but I can't explain it in a spoiler-free way. But if you're already a fan or you just don't care, here you go!

WARNING: Spoilers for EVERY Danganronpa media below.

I tried to implement a moveset full of (spoilery) nods, but that also is tricky to deal with, in a way that figuring out Monokuma is like solving a mystery, since this is a key aspect of the source games. This also works based on the fact that Monokuma is annoying in-universe as well.
Monokuma has a certain "gimmick" on its moveset, so I will be skipping the moves that use it, and explain them later.

Entrance: Monokuma pops from the ground exactly like he does when introducing himself in DR1/2, most commonly before giving out motives in DR1.

Special Attacks

Neutral Special - "Truth Bullet". Monokuma charges and shoots a Truth Bullet at the opponent, while yelling variations of "No, that's wrong!". Each bullet can have a random word written on it like "despair", "hope", "future", etc. Can be stored. BONUS: Kirby will yell the classic sentence.
Up Special - "Blast Off!", Monokuma rides the rocket that is used on Jin's/Kaito's Punishment, causing damage on its way, and then crash-landing it. The trajectory would be similar to Dedede's Up B. Monokuma may exit the rocket mid-tragectory (going free-fall) or not, but if he doesn't, the impact causes extra damage, similar to Villager's Lloyd Rocket. An ideal move for tricking the opponent.
Side Special - "Monokubs". Monokuma launches a random Monokub. While the special button is pressed, Monokuma holds a button and the Monokub keeps walking. When the player lets go of the buttom, Monokuma presses his buttom and explodes the Monokub. Reflects the very "caring" nature of Monokuma shown thoughout DRV3.
Down Special - Part of the gimmick. I'll explain it later.

Smash Attacks

Up Smash - Spears of Gungnir. Doesn't have great launching power, but cause more damage than average. Has a sweetspot which can pin the opponents. Used in Junko/Mukuro's murder. This is easiest attack to imagine if you know the source.
Side Smash - Part of the gimmick. I'll explain it later.
Down Smash - Flamethrower - Monokuma used a flamethrower to jump and blast flames below him, covering a big horizontal range. Used in Gonta's Punishment, and also somewhat references Celes' Punishment.

Tilt Attacks

Jab - Regular punches that end in the uppercut used agains Monomi.
Up Tilt - MEAT THE BONE ON. Monokuma gets down and points a skewer upwards, similar to how Teruteru kills the Ultimate Imposter
Side Tilt - Monokuma uses a salmon as a punching bag, which can hit opponents. References a scene in the anime.
Down Tilt - Monokuma picks up the Monokuma File, similar to Villager's Down Tilt, but with less damage/knockback and covering a bigger area.

Aerials

Neutral Air - Monokuma extends his claws to keep opponents away. I'm not sure if Monokuma should spin while doing so or not.
Up Air - Monokuma just swings a salmon above him.
Forward Air - Monokuma blasts the bazooka used in the fight against Akane/Nekomaru in DR2, covering a short area and launching him backwards.
Back Air - Monokuma grabs Monomi her by her feet and spins her, hitting opponents. References any interaction between the two of them in DR2.
Down Air - Part of the gimmick, i'll explain it later.

Grab moves

Grab - Monokuma launches a claw that can grab the opponent and bring it to him, similar to how Leon's/Teruteru's/Kaede's Punishment begun. Can grab ledges, but can't damage opponents mid-air.
Pummel - Monokuma repeatedly used his gavel agains the poor opponent's head.
Up Throw - Monokuma flings his arms upwards and throws the opponent, similar to a sprite where he is yelling and doing a similar pose.
Forward Throw - Monokuma swings a Truth Blade, launching the opponent.
Back Throw - The suplex Monomi repeatedly used on him when trying to kill him.
Down Throw - Smoke rises from the ground as Monokuma fights the opponent in a comic manner (like he did with Monomi many times), launching him afterwards.

Movement stuff

Run animation - The same goofy one from Ultra Despair Girls. Not very fast.
Dash Attack - A slash attack with his claws.

Final Smash

It's Punishment Time!
Monokuma uses his gavel to hit a bell, beggining Punishment time. He then disappears, and the screen gets covered by the same UI as the Nonstop Debate segments. The player can move a reticle during a select time (4 seconds?) and shoot players. After the time runs out, every player that got shot gets dragged away by a chain and ends up in Naegi/Kirigiri's Punishment, except the fighters are not on a chair, just layed down until they are crushed. Don't worry, they don't die, they only get comically launched afterwards.

This could be replaced by any other punishment, including an original one, but I tried to include the most iconic and spoiler-free in the franchise (because we can't determine who gets executed from this scenery alone).

Gimmick: The Murder Weapons

In Monokuma's Down Special, Monokuma can select between 5 truth bullets, in a menu similar to the one just before a Nonstop Debates.
But instead of selecting "evidence", the player can choose between 5 murder weapons, each of them being represented by a single command (up, down, left, right or Nothing), and having different properties. Besides that, the other players won't know what weapon was selected until Monokuma uses it.
Those weapons affect Monokuma's Forward Smash and Down Aerial. In the case of the Down Aerial, Monokuma launches itself downwards while holding said weapon.
Without further delay, the weapons are:

- Baseball Bat. Used in Mahiru's murder, also referencing Leon's Punishment. Has a bigger launch rate.
- Hammer. NOT used in Mechamaru's Murder. Also references Hifumi's/Taka's murder. Does more damage to shields, despite the lower range. Spikes if used in the Down Aerial.
- Shot Put Ball. Used in Rantaro's murder. Is thrown, rather than swung. Can be a edgeguarding tool. Is not thrown on the down aerial.
- Wooden Plank. Used in Angie's/Tenko's/Ryoma's murder. Has a bigger range. Also includes seesaw jokes in Smash.
- Bomb. Not a weapon per se, but makes Monokuma self-destruct, with a little alarm ringing beforehand. References every instance of him blowing up, and kind of references Keebo's death in DRV3. Also kind of references every instance where there was no murder, but a suicide.

Taunts

Down Taunt - Monokuma charges energy like he does in 2-6 before transforming into Giga Junko.
Side Taunt - Monokuma unleashes his classic laughter (Upupupu/Puhuhuhu) while covering his mouth.
Up Taunt - The dance he does in the anime opening.

Victory Animations

Monokuma sitting on a chair while holding a beverage, tauntingly looking at the screen, like he appears in most games.
Monokuma Losing His **** from laughing too hard, similar to Wario.
Smoke covering the screen, then revealing Monokuma in its Junko pose (without Junko, obviously)

Alternate colors

Shirokuma
Kurokuma
Conductor Monokuma (the outfit he used in Kaede's Punishment)
Worker Monokuma (the outfit he used in Alter Ego's Punishment. It is also used in V3 when revealing that the motive video for Ryoma is empty)
Beach Monokuma (the outfit used in promotional material for DR2)
Teacher Monokuma (the outfit used in Naegi's/Kirigiri's Punishment)
Alter-Ego Monokuma (similar to the Hidden Monokumas of 2-6, also paying homage to Alter Ego Chihiro/Junko/Gonta)

No Monokubs/Monomi here, since they are a part of the moveset.

Dizzy Animation: Monokuma just sits and moves his head, identical to how he looks after spinning too much in Mondo's Punishment.

Kirby: When Kirby inhales Monokuma, he basically becames Ball Monokuma from Ultra Despair Girls, which is hilarious.

What about the stage?
That's a given: The Trial Ground!
The Trial Ground is the place in which the class trials are held. It is located underground, and students can access it via a long elevator, which is sure to have less people on the way back up.
In the Trial Ground, every living student stays in its designated place, forming a circle, making it appropriate for heated debates with high stakes, while Monokuma stays in a throne and enjoys the bickering... unless he sleeps or gets distracted during the whole thing, which has happened before.

This location has many incarnations, but the most likely candidates are the first incarnations from the three main games.

What could be done for the Reveal Trailer?
Many things, actually. It can be a punishment with a random Smash character that reveals Monokuma at the end. It can be a long animated sequence that introduces Phoenix Wright (and maybe Professor Layton) as well without revealing it as Smash Bros until the very end. And, in the best-case scenario...it can be both. The possibilites are endless.
The gameplay sequence of the trailer can have random Danganronpa characters commenting the fact that Monokuma is playable and telling the other fighters to don't lose hope. Now that would be cool. Yeah.
No worries! Even if they're different, the more ideas that are spread around, the more there is to talk about, and the more there is to talk about the more people we send into despair the more people talk Monokuma in Smash Bros.

That said after reading your moveset I can say in comparison to the one I came up with on the beginning of the thread and this one are quite different with only a few similarities. I feel like another possibility for the reveal trailer would be a reference to his introduction in DR1, I think it'd be a rather easy thing to understand even if it'd be simple. That said... the idea of one of the Nintendo characters getting executed before Monokuma joins the fray for that Ridley level of shock-factor... it makes me laugh.

GustavoAlves

Smash Cadet
oveset full of (spoilery) nods, but that also is tricky to deal with, in a way that figuring out Monokuma is like solving a mystery, since this is a key aspect of the source games. This also works based on the fact that Monokuma is annoying in-universe as well.
Monokuma has a certain "gimmick" on its move
No worries! Even if they're different, the more ideas that are spread around, the more there is to talk about, and the more there is to talk about the more people we send into despair the more people talk Monokuma in Smash Bros.

That said after reading your moveset I can say in comparison to the one I came up with on the beginning of the thread and this one are quite different with only a few similarities. I feel like another possibility for the reveal trailer would be a reference to his introduction in DR1, I think it'd be a rather easy thing to understand even if it'd be simple. That said... the idea of one of the Nintendo characters getting executed before Monokuma joins the fray for that Ridley level of shock-factor... it makes me laugh.
I could totally imagine they beggining a Direct introducing Normal McHuman or whatever as a new character in Smash, to everyone's confusion, only to pull a "Now let's see more about Normal McHuman and...wait, where is he?" at the end and then begin the punishment. It's a shame that this is not PG enough, but it would still be hilarious.

Siivagunner kind of pulled this for their King for Another Day tournament, killing off a "leaked" character only to reveal Phoenix Wright and Monokuma as a team.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Honestly feel like a Danganronpa Switch port is inevitable.

At this rate it's not a matter of if but a matter of when it'll happen, and I'm guessing it'll happen after the English translation rights that NIS America currently owns expire, which should be near December.

With that said once it gets a Switch port I could logistically see Monokuma having a better shot of making it.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Honestly feel like a Danganronpa Switch port is inevitable.

At this rate it's not a matter of if but a matter of when it'll happen, and I'm guessing it'll happen after the English translation rights that NIS America currently owns expire, which should be near December.

With that said once it gets a Switch port I could logistically see Monokuma having a better shot of making it.
Yeah. Cameos are one thing, but it won't help much if your series doesn't have any presence of some kind. :ultcloud::ultjoker:

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Ok, now that I have played Danganronpa, I'm in.
I loved the original, so yeah, Monokuma for Smash would be awesome.

GustavoAlves

Smash Cadet
Hallo!! Monokuma is my most wanted character for smash so I made this move set/bio for him. Opinions would be very much appreciated!!

https://www.deviantart.com/mistress...ings-to-despair-to-Smash-Ultimate-1-816083658
Oh, I see you're a Man of Up-Smash-Should-Be-Spears-Of-Gungnir as well...
I also thought of down air using the syringe, as random as it sounds.

Our movesets (mine is a few posts above this one in the thread, give it a read!) have some similarities, and this is awesome because it shows Monokuma kinda has its own rules already stablished, making it easier to create a moveset if he does make it as a DLC.

The only thing i'm against in your moveset is the appearance of Junko, because Monokuma would introduce the franchise to millions of players and represent Danganronpa as a whole, and showing the main bad guy, which is supposed to be a mystery and a major twist, to a bunch of potential danganronpa players would be a big no-no.

EDIT: Also, would you mind explaining the Classic Mode you planned? It sounds interesting but I can't see a recurring theme. Honestly, it's cool enough that you could think of something. Most people who create concepts and movesets do not think about this, myself included.

Personally, if I could create a Classic Mode for upupu bear over there, I would make it punishment-related or mystery-related, with the former being Monokuma going against everyone who canonically killed someone in their games (Ridley, Bayonetta, Robin, Simon, etc). The latter would be Monokuma going against fighters with some sort of "secret identity" (Lucina, Joker, Sheik, Inkling), representing killers being exposed in DR games.

Alternatively, he could go against people with "Ultimate Talents" (Little Mac, Ice Climbers, Ryu, Sonic, etc.) or teenagers (Lucina, Link, Inkling, etc.) . Either way, my best-case-scenario would be if Phoenix also made it and the final fight of both their Classic Modes put them against each other.

Last edited:

Korar

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5170-5706-7228
Hallo!! Monokuma is my most wanted character for smash so I made this move set/bio for him. Opinions would be very much appreciated!!

https://www.deviantart.com/mistress...ings-to-despair-to-Smash-Ultimate-1-816083658
This is a really damn good idea for a moveset imo, although i feel like you should edit this post with a spoiler warning. while i doubt there are any people on this thread who haven't played danganronpa, there are a few who have only played this first game so far.

CallMeKnux

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0424-3957-0991
Oh, I see you're a Man of Up-Smash-Should-Be-Spears-Of-Gungnir as well...
I also thought of down air using the syringe, as random as it sounds.

Our movesets (mine is a few posts above this one in the thread, give it a read!) have some similarities, and this is awesome because it shows Monokuma kinda has its own rules already stablished, making it easier to create a moveset if he does make it as a DLC.

The only thing i'm against in your moveset is the appearance of Junko, because Monokuma would introduce the franchise to millions of players and represent Danganronpa as a whole, and showing the main bad guy, which is supposed to be a mystery and a major twist, to a bunch of potential danganronpa players would be a big no-no.

EDIT: Also, would you mind explaining the Classic Mode you planned? It sounds interesting but I can't see a recurring theme. Honestly, it's cool enough that you could think of something. Most people who create concepts and movesets do not think about this, myself included.

Personally, if I could create a Classic Mode for upupu bear over there, I would make it punishment-related or mystery-related, with the former being Monokuma going against everyone who canonically killed someone in their games (Ridley, Bayonetta, Robin, Simon, etc). The latter would be Monokuma going against fighters with some sort of "secret identity" (Lucina, Joker, Sheik, Inkling), representing killers being exposed in DR games.

Alternatively, he could go against people with "Ultimate Talents" (Little Mac, Ice Climbers, Ryu, Sonic, etc.) or teenagers (Lucina, Link, Inkling, etc.) . Either way, my best-case-scenario would be if Phoenix also made it and the final fight of both their Classic Modes put them against each other.
I personally disagree about Junko but I see why you'd feel that way.

The theme of Monokuma's classic mode is him killing beacons of hope in the Smash Bros roster.

This is a really damn good idea for a moveset imo, although i feel like you should edit this post with a spoiler warning. while i doubt there are any people on this thread who haven't played danganronpa, there are a few who have only played this first game so far.
I'll be sure to add that !

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings

Dont mean to self promote, but here is a remix of Beautiful Lie designed specifically for Smash Ultimate

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
“WHETHER THE CHARACTER IS FUN TO PLAY IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN WHETHER THE CHARACTER IS NEW OR OLD OR RECOGNIZABLE TO EVERYONE"

- Sakurai

He still has a chance lads

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
“WHETHER THE CHARACTER IS FUN TO PLAY IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN WHETHER THE CHARACTER IS NEW OR OLD OR RECOGNIZABLE TO EVERYONE"

- Sakurai

He still has a chance lads
Admittedly, that's not the part I'm wondering (I think we all agree Monokuma would be fun to play as). However, I AM wondering exactly how leniant Spike Chunsoft is with its licensing, namely the music. On the one hand, Square Enix only allowed two Final Fantasy songs. On the other hand, SNK allowed 50 songs, many of which aren't even from Fatal Fury. What is Spike Chunsoft's stance on the matter?

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
Admittedly, that's not the part I'm wondering (I think we all agree Monokuma would be fun to play as). However, I AM wondering exactly how leniant Spike Chunsoft is with its licensing, namely the music. On the one hand, Square Enix only allowed two Final Fantasy songs. On the other hand, SNK allowed 50 songs, many of which aren't even from Fatal Fury. What is Spike Chunsoft's stance on the matter?
looking at hoow much DR merch is out there, I'd say they're fairly open for handing over their licenses. Makes especially sense for a somewhat smaller dev like Spike Chunsoft.

GustavoAlves

Smash Cadet
Let's remember how many DR songs got remixed on a freaking Crypt of the Necrodancer collab.
I'd say they would go all out on smash as well.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Let's remember how many DR songs got remixed on a freaking Crypt of the Necrodancer collab.
I'd say they would go all out on smash as well.

Oh yeah, that reminds me. Which other franchise did COND recently collab with? And said collab also had heavy involvement from Spike?

I know it may be reaching, but I’m surprised no one has mentioned that as points in Monokumas favor. That and the Mystery Dungeon games show that Nintendo has had a pretty good relationship with Spike.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Yeah, I'd imagine Spike Chunsoft would go all out with music due to how good their relationship is with Nintendo. Especially since y'know... they're allowed to make Pokemon Spin-offs that are pretty good and sell well.

I don't think it'd be all that much of an issue, more SNK-like than Square Enix.

That said before anyone asks, regardless of Junko Enoshima's representation as a victory screen, taunt, spirit, cameo, etc. etc. I think Junko would be fine, as seemingly the main issue I think with Mai is her outfit and not exactly her bust size. Since Mai wears, as you would know if you searched her up, basically a loincloth and while her bust size does factor into it due to her outfit... Junko is much more covered up despite her bust being on the larger side as well, so I wouldn't worry about Junko all that much and if she'd get in smash in any way or not.

Top Bottom