• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mascot of Despair, Monokuma Punishes the Competition!

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I still hope some bizarre twist of fate brings us Monokuma. If he got in as DLC: Then he could perhaps have a unique Final Smash "punishment" for each character!

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I still hope some bizarre twist of fate brings us Monokuma. If he got in as DLC: Then he could perhaps have a unique Final Smash "punishment" for each character!
Maybe if that one rumor I heard about a Danganronpa collection coming to the Switch ends up being true, they could add Monokuma to help promote it. I'm not getting my hopes up for said collection, though...

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Personally while I'd like for him to be a playable character I'd be fine if he and other characters were just spirits. Which I think is the more likely scenario.

If he can't be a playable Spike Chunsoft rep, the first step to that would be to taking their original IPs and turning them into spirits, which is a thing I do think Sakurai could have at least spoken to them about, since after all they have work on the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games it'd be nice for them to finally get some sort of representation, even if it's on.y something like Primal Dialga or a few buildings.

But here's hoping he's a DLC character... even though I believe because Nintendo were picking characters for DLC this time around, it'd be most likely Phoenix Wright as the visual novel rep they put in.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
So... DLC.

While personally I don't believe spirits deconfirm, if they do a whole lot of competition got knocked out of the water the problem is... as I said earlier none of his visual novel colleagues got the boot either.

So it's still a three way competition between if Phoenix Wright, Monokuma, or a Fate/ character gets in as a potential DLC fighter.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
So... DLC.

While personally I don't believe spirits deconfirm, if they do a whole lot of competition got knocked out of the water the problem is... as I said earlier none of his visual novel colleagues got the boot either.

So it's still a three way competition between if Phoenix Wright, Monokuma, or a Fate/ character gets in as a potential DLC fighter.
Damn; Imagine if Phoenix AND Monokuma got in. That would be one hell of a reveal.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
You're right about that, it'd also be the crossover both of the series' creators wanted to do but never had the chance to do so.
Hmmm??? I agree with Phoenix & Monokuma being the absolute dream, but what!! Ace Attorney and Danganronpa have wanted to do a crossover?? I gatta hear more about that!

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Hmmm??? I agree with Phoenix & Monokuma being the absolute dream, but what!! Ace Attorney and Danganronpa have wanted to do a crossover?? I gatta hear more about that!
Yeah, they've wanted to do that for a long time but never had the chance to do so, though some ideas was like Monokuma being the judge I believe. Though... I doubt it's likely to happen seeming as the creator of the DR series has left to make his own studio with a good number of Spike Chunsoft staff and have several games in development that have been revealed to the public, I believe I showed them earlier in this thread, also showed Sakurai giving them good luck and he's a fan of DR's creators games so... Sakurai potentially being a DR fan is something to take note of but with the fact Nintendo chose the DLC Sakurai coiled pick from to make into characters does decrease Monokuma's chances unless a DR collection is making its way to the switch as series like Neptunia are making the jump to the Switch and Nintendo as it dethroned the Vita as the main handheld im Japan apparently.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Yeah, they've wanted to do that for a long time but never had the chance to do so, though some ideas was like Monokuma being the judge I believe. Though... I doubt it's likely to happen seeming as the creator of the DR series has left to make his own studio with a good number of Spike Chunsoft staff and have several games in development that have been revealed to the public, I believe I showed them earlier in this thread, also showed Sakurai giving them good luck and he's a fan of DR's creators games so... Sakurai potentially being a DR fan is something to take note of but with the fact Nintendo chose the DLC Sakurai coiled pick from to make into characters does decrease Monokuma's chances unless a DR collection is making its way to the switch as series like Neptunia are making the jump to the Switch and Nintendo as it dethroned the Vita as the main handheld im Japan apparently.
I mentioned earlier that the way I see it, the only way Monokuma (and by extension, ANY Danganronpa content) was getting into Smash was if the Danganronpa Collection that may or may not happen... Well, happens. Which would be good enough promotional reasoning to do it. Problem is, I haven't really heard much about it besides rumors. That being said, just about that can get with being on the Switch is being put on the Switch, so there's hope.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
No way...two of my favorite series...? Ohhh it seems hopeless now, augh! Another near-hopeless dream! But wow, what an absolute dream that would be! Is there anything to do? Just hope? Vote somewhere? Ahhh...paaain...

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
No way...two of my favorite series...? Ohhh it seems hopeless now, augh! Another near-hopeless dream! But wow, what an absolute dream that would be! Is there anything to do? Just hope? Vote somewhere? Ahhh...paaain...
OH NO, HE'S HAVING A FANGASM!!!! Quick, somebody get the electro-shock thingy! It doesn't matter which one!

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Yo. Time for this thread to wake up! With Joker's inclusion and Reggie's statements about the DLC characters being wildly unexpected, Monokuma's chances of joining Smash actually look rather decent.

DanganronpaFanboy

Smash Rookie
Notice how Sakurai said Nintendo picked all the DLC fighters, yet Sakurai himself is a Persona fan. If you think about it, Sakurai is part of Nintendo, meaning he technically still could be picking the fighters. Also just wanted to mention that, since we have a long time to wait until the DLC officially releases, Danganronpa could be released for the Switch in 2019, giving more evidence to him being in smash.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Notice how Sakurai said Nintendo picked all the DLC fighters, yet Sakurai himself is a Persona fan. If you think about it, Sakurai is part of Nintendo, meaning he technically still could be picking the fighters. Also just wanted to mention that, since we have a long time to wait until the DLC officially releases, Danganronpa could be released for the Switch in 2019, giving more evidence to him being in smash. As Komaeda would say, we just need to hope
I don't know if using Nagito as a reference is a good idea, since he seems to be at least a little crazy. However, I do agree that with the DLC theme being "expect the unexpected", Monokuma might actually have a good chance of getting in. Still, it depends on what happens between now and when the rest of the DLC is announced.

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
So after Joker's reveal, there's much better chances for Monokuma to join too. Danganronpa has never been as successfull as Persona may have been but still it's a very beloved series so who knows. I fully support him but I've only watched Season 1 of the anime yet so be sure to hide spoilers.

And yeah, I'm watching the anime instead of playing because I prefer true visuals over reading. Not to mention that the games are rather expensive.

RoXRo

Smash Rookie
So, I just gotta ask: Anyone got any ideas for how a character reveal would go for Monokuma, whether or not it'd be based off of Smash 4's or Smash 5's reveal trailer style (at least, we presume with five anyways.)
Well going off Joker's reveal trailer I feel like they are going to put the smash envelope in all of the DLC character trailer's I can't think of much but I can imagine the letter next to some characters fighting who we can't see and then you see the famous pink blood get on the letter and then you hear upupupupupupupup you see a stubby arm pick it up and then slash it into pieces then it's pitch black, you see the famous red eye glow and then see his completely "Monokuma Brings the Despair!" (It would also be cool to see like a connection to Phoenix Wright's trailer if they were both in)

I also made this compiling some evidence for Monokuma because just like you he is my DREAM character! You can put on your post if you want!The Evidence!!!!

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Well going off Joker's reveal trailer I feel like they are going to put the smash envelope in all of the DLC character trailer's I can't think of much but I can imagine the letter next to some characters fighting who we can't see and then you see the famous pink blood get on the letter and then you hear upupupupupupupup you see a stubby arm pick it up and then slash it into pieces then it's pitch black, you see the famous red eye glow and then see his completely "Monokuma Brings the Despair!" (It would also be cool to see like a connection to Phoenix Wright's trailer if they were both in)
You're right about that... really no one outside of us supporters here think he has a chance or suspects him, of course it also works in my own personal theory I think we'll be getting a Bandai Namco rep, a company not yet represented in Smash Bros. and two first party characters as the remaining DLC.

Spike Chunsoft just happens to fit that... but again in my own theory Monokuma's major competition would be someone like Master Chief from Microsoft. But I feel like that he has a chance... just depends on if Nintendo put Monokuma in the potential list Sakurai could pick from honestly and we won't know that till we see them all.

I also made this compiling some evidence for Monokuma because just like you he is my DREAM character! You can put on your post if you want!The Evidence!!!!
Alright, I'll add it onto the main post, it'd be rather helpful anyways and could convince people to start supporting this bear of despair.

RoXRo

Smash Rookie
You're right about that... really no one outside of us supporters here think he has a chance or suspects him, of course it also works in my own personal theory I think we'll be getting a Bandai Namco rep, a company not yet represented in Smash Bros. and two first party characters as the remaining DLC.

Their is already a Bandai Namco character and that is Pac-Man however I still think their is going to be another character. Another thing is that you should make a discord! If you haven't made one yet

Last edited:

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989

I meant a second one like how we have three Konami reps, three SEGA reps, and three Capcom reps.

I've thought about a discord but I've decided against it as I don't see the need for one, especially for a character that may not get in the game if fate isn't on our side this time around.

RoXRo

Smash Rookie
I meant a second one like how we have three Konami reps, three SEGA reps, and three Capcom reps.

I've thought about a discord but I've decided against it as I don't see the need for one, especially for a character that may not get in the game if fate isn't on our side this time around.
Oh okay well I personally think that the 2nd rep is going to be Heihachi from Tekken (Which would be awesome!)

Rasumii

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rasumii
As a DR fan, I’d love it for Monokuma to get in.

I don’t really expect it, but I don’t think the chances are exactly zero either.

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
Sooo... I feel like getting some visual novels soon. Are there good ones you can recommend? I'm planning on getting the other Danganronpa games aswell as the Zero Escape Trilogy. I've already watched the anime so Steins;Gate is out. I was wondering if there were any other popular ones besides those 3 big series.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Sooo... I feel like getting some visual novels soon. Are there good ones you can recommend? I'm planning on getting the other Danganronpa games aswell as the Zero Escape Trilogy. I've already watched the anime so Steins;Gate is out. I was wondering if there were any other popular ones besides those 3 big series.
Big ones I can recommend are Ace Attorney and Professor Layton. Other than that, and if you have a DS and can even find it, Hotel Dusk is one of my favorite visual novels.

You can’t go wrong with Zero Escape, though.

Last edited:

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Other than what you mentioned and what GoodGrief recommended the only other really popular one I can recommend is Fate/Stay Night... specifically the PS2 version since 1. A lot of the ecchi content that was forced into the original version to make it sell was cut 2. I believe it's the only way to experience Hollow Axtraxia or however it's spelt. Of course Fate/Stay Night, Fate/UBW, Fate/Zero and Fate/Aprocrtyha are released as anime adaptions of the visual novel and light novels with Fate/Heavens Feel having one of its three part movies released (of course though... the Heavens Feel movies are apparently rated higher than R so... yeah... I've watched the first movie though through kissanime I believe and there wasn't anything ecchi in my opinion but still, the heads up is there since parts 2 and 3 haven't released. But of course if you just get the visual novel you'll have Fate/Stay Night, UBW, Heavens Feel, and Hollow Axtraxsia without all of that really ecchi stuff). Of course though finding a physical ps2 copy may be hard and expensive so... I'd recommend just finding a PS2 emulator and a rom of it, play it like that if you don't want to watch the anime adaptions and movies. Though I haven't played or watched the VN form myself so I'm not sure if there's actually any gameplay, I have a feeling there may not be due to the fact it's a early visual novel, proceeding all the ones we mentioned by a couple of years or more but who knows.

I may or may not be obsessed with Fate/ and Danganronpa

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Really? I haven't noticed. (Please note that was an attempt at sarcasm that I most likely failed at).

Although now I want to see a crossover between those two, but that seems less likely than Saber and/or Monokuma getting into Smash.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Really? I haven't noticed. (Please note that was an attempt at sarcasm that I most likely failed at).

Although now I want to see a crossover between those two, but that seems less likely than Saber and/or Monokuma getting into Smash.
I mean... if you count this as a crossover the character designer and artist has drawn two characters for Fate/ Grand Order.

Cleopatra and Edmond Dantes.

That's the closest you're probably gonna get to one that's a crossover between the two, and sadly I think that's about the most besides smash brothers potential due to Kodaka leaving to make his own studio, though Spike Chunsoft still owns the rights and a game is supposedly in development that uses 3-D models so... honestly it's up to if Sakurai wants to acknowledge Spike Chunsoft ever, which personally I'd like since I do think they deserve it if they've been trusted enough to make multiple games using Pokémon, one of Nintendo's most sacred IPs.

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
Other than what you mentioned and what GoodGrief recommended the only other really popular one I can recommend is Fate/Stay Night... specifically the PS2 version since 1. A lot of the ecchi content that was forced into the original version to make it sell was cut 2. I believe it's the only way to experience Hollow Axtraxia or however it's spelt. Of course Fate/Stay Night, Fate/UBW, Fate/Zero and Fate/Aprocrtyha are released as anime adaptions of the visual novel and light novels with Fate/Heavens Feel having one of its three part movies released (of course though... the Heavens Feel movies are apparently rated higher than R so... yeah... I've watched the first movie though through kissanime I believe and there wasn't anything ecchi in my opinion but still, the heads up is there since parts 2 and 3 haven't released. But of course if you just get the visual novel you'll have Fate/Stay Night, UBW, Heavens Feel, and Hollow Axtraxsia without all of that really ecchi stuff). Of course though finding a physical ps2 copy may be hard and expensive so... I'd recommend just finding a PS2 emulator and a rom of it, play it like that if you don't want to watch the anime adaptions and movies. Though I haven't played or watched the VN form myself so I'm not sure if there's actually any gameplay, I have a feeling there may not be due to the fact it's a early visual novel, proceeding all the ones we mentioned by a couple of years or more but who knows.

Forgot to mention that I don't own a PS2 anymore but thanks anyways. In that case it'll be watching the Fate anime then. Only thing I know is that there's several anime of it.

Guess I'll stick with DR, Zero Escape and Layton while waiting for the Ace Attorney trilogy for PS4.

RoXRo

Smash Rookie
Calling it right now Monokuma will be the 4th Character in the Fighters Pass for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate he will get revealed in a Nintendo Direct in October (get it, halloween. he comes from a dark series) However if it isn't Monokuma revealed it will be a Visual Novel rep I can just feel it.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Calling it right now Monokuma will be the 4th Character in the Fighters Pass for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate he will get revealed in a Nintendo Direct in October (get it, halloween. he comes from a dark series) However if it isn't Monokuma revealed it will be a Visual Novel rep I can just feel it.
If anything due to that Datamine, our second fighter pass character is going under the codename "Brave" when I think of characters tied to that characteristic I either think of: Sora from Kingdom Hearts, someone from Bravley Default, or Saber Artoria from Fate/, a visual novel character who is legit King Arthur and if I remember has a title of "Brave Lion" so... if we are getting a VN rep that ain't Monokuma... probably Artoria. Another sword fighter but at least she's different from anyone else I suppose also kinda makes sense considering Fate/ is the longest and one of the most popular visual novel series still going on t this day, the second being Ace Attorney and the third being Danganronpa... but I will say if Saber gets in I do feel like that just opens the doors more for Monokuma and Pheonix to get in, or at least become Mii Cosutumes which we know we're getting as DLC now due to Nintendo updating a page in their site that covered DLC options and stuff for Smash Ultimate. Which uh... I wouldn't mind it at all if Saber got in as a playable character while the other two became Mii Brawler (and I guess Mii Gunner?) costumes since at least they'll be represented and Spike Chunsoft will get that Smash recognition it deserves due to being trusted a multitude of times to work on Pokémon spin off games which of course is Nintendo's second best selling series behind Mario,

RoXRo

Smash Rookie
Yeah of course It's honestly a small piece of information that helps Danganronpa to get in smash

Top Bottom