• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mascot of Despair, Monokuma Punishes the Competition!

SonicMario

Smash Master
While Monokuma is unlikely for I imagine reasons already stated. I'm surprised all you guys haven't taken the opportunity yet to at least speculate on what Monokuma would do for individual punishments to all the Smash characters. You know this thread gives you the perfect excuse to, heh.

ChessmasterOmeyrolx

Smash Rookie
While Monokuma is unlikely for I imagine reasons already stated. I'm surprised all you guys haven't taken the opportunity yet to at least speculate on what Monokuma would do for individual punishments to all the Smash characters. You know this thread gives you the perfect excuse to, heh.
In that case, how about for Sonic's execution, Monokuma sics Amy on him, who unknowingly has a bomb on her back. Sonic tries to run away, but Monokuma trips him up, letting Amy catch up and hug Sonic, only for the bomb to blow them both up, KO-ing Sonic off of the stage.

Last edited:

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
That's possible, I just thought Sakura would be a good one since she's an experienced fighter.

Maybe Makoto could shoot Truth Bullets, and Nagito could shoot his own head (via Russian Roulette) to make his luck do something unpredictable, like switching around everyone's percentage?

Or maybe Komaru could be an AT and shoot her megaphone blaster against others?

I was also thinking of Monokuma riding the rocket from DR1's intro as an Up-Special/Recovery instead, though your idea works as well.
Sorry for the late response, life can get busy st times.

But yeah, while a Sakura one could work since she's an experienced fighter, I don't think she could do anything that rhrnother ones already do, like Sukapon, thats also how I evison a Makoto or Nagito assist trophies could do, something random happening as well seeming as both are the ultimate lucky student, I also forgot that he did that in the intro, I could see it working in the same way though as the jetpack in some way, it's just that it might explode at its maximum distance instead of the hitbox coming from the bottom of Monokuma's jetpack.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Same, I'm surprised that we somehow managed not to do that yet... oh how long that'll take seeming as Ultimate has 65+ characters, probably gonna take a few days to think of unique ones for every character... besides maybe echoes, just giving them slight variances on the executions of the fighters they're based on.

FairyLip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SmoothJazz
First of all, tossing my support behind everyone. Any Danganronpa character is my own personal Cloud: Almost definitely not happening, but just likely enough to make me hope. Plus, Smash needs VN representation, and a Danganronpa is one of the few that makes sense (basically the only other contenders are Zero Escape, Phoenix Wright, and Fate)

As for final smashes, I'd imagine it'd be more based on series. Several characters could share them: Marth, Peach, Daisy, Zelda, and Roy getting overthrown, Bowser and Bowser. Jr get Monokuma trouncing them while wearing a Mario cap, Falco and Fox get an arwing failure, Link, Young Link, Toon Link, and Ganondorf all show Monokuma with the complete Triforce, Cloud and Shulk killed by a godlike figure, that kind of thing

ChessmasterOmeyrolx

Smash Rookie
First of all, tossing my support behind everyone. Any Danganronpa character is my own personal Cloud: Almost definitely not happening, but just likely enough to make me hope. Plus, Smash needs VN representation, and a Danganronpa is one of the few that makes sense (basically the only other contenders are Zero Escape, Phoenix Wright, and Fate)

As for final smashes, I'd imagine it'd be more based on series. Several characters could share them: Marth, Peach, Daisy, Zelda, and Roy getting overthrown, Bowser and Bowser. Jr get Monokuma trouncing them while wearing a Mario cap, Falco and Fox get an arwing failure, Link, Young Link, Toon Link, and Ganondorf all show Monokuma with the complete Triforce, Cloud and Shulk killed by a godlike figure, that kind of thing
I agree with the need of VN rep in Smash. I guess we could have Phoenix Wright like in UMVC3, but Monokuma would be AMAZING. As for his Final Smash, I've got an idea for one against Ridley.

In a huge cylindrical room, a bunch of Monokumas, all wearing Samus's helmet, charge their arm cannons up (maybe like how he did in DR2?) while aiming at Ridley from all sorts of angles. Ridley flies up towards the light to escape, but from that exit comes THE Monokuma you play as flying Samus's spaceship, ramming Ridley back down as all the other Monokumas shoot their charged beams at Ridley soon after while he's rammed by the spaceship. Sort of a twist on Ridley's own Final Smash.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989

Monokuma is definitely in some kind of Cloud situation when it comes to getting in a smash brothers game. I would say Phoenix Wright would be the second biggest contender due to the games actually being on Nintendo systems while Monokuma only has been on Nintendo systems through boss fight DLCs, references, and cameos... like Cloud. I don't know much about Zero Escape, but if I recall I believe it's still developed by Spike Chunsoft like how Danganronpa is developed by them and other than that I don't have much input on it... now, with Fate I'd actually say a character from that probably has a slight edge over all the other VNs mostly because Fate/ has been getting RPGs on Nintendo systems meaning it's s VN and a RPG series (not counting the manga, light novels and anime of course), and even then I don't think we need a third Capcom rep in my own opinion, especially when SEGA only has one, maybe in the future but not now, so I think Phoenix Wright won't be happening until two smash games from now or so, or in a ballot if we get another one. As I said I don't know much about Zero Escape I can't say anything about it in comparison, and the only reason I'd say a character from fate has more of a chance than a DR character realistically because the series itself has appeared on Nintendo systems and characters weren't just cameo appearances, otherwise I'd say a DR character like Monokuma would have a higher chance if the games were there because (I think) the popularity of DR surpasses Fate/.

I still want Monokuma over all VN reps though, regardless of the realism of it. I have heard rumors though that apparently a Danganronpa Series Collection is going to be finding its way to the switch sometime soon, but then again that's just rumors and I would've expected something like that at E3 if it were true.

I can think of an execution for Sonic however, might sound a bit too much like the generic Sonic fan fiction or weird rom hack, but I think Monokuma would be one to do that on purpose because of the almighty feeling that is despair! Basically in summarization it's just: Monokuma catches Sonic in some kind of glue trap/something to make him stop in his tracks and then proceeds to force feed him chili dogs till he explodes.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Monokuma is definitely in some kind of Cloud situation when it comes to getting in a smash brothers game. I would say Phoenix Wright would be the second biggest contender due to the games actually being on Nintendo systems while Monokuma only has been on Nintendo systems through boss fight DLCs, references, and cameos... like Cloud. I don't know much about Zero Escape, but if I recall I believe it's still developed by Spike Chunsoft like how Danganronpa is developed by them and other than that I don't have much input on it... now, with Fate I'd actually say a character from that probably has a slight edge over all the other VNs mostly because Fate/ has been getting RPGs on Nintendo systems meaning it's s VN and a RPG series (not counting the manga, light novels and anime of course), and even then I don't think we need a third Capcom rep in my own opinion, especially when SEGA only has one, maybe in the future but not now, so I think Phoenix Wright won't be happening until two smash games from now or so, or in a ballot if we get another one. As I said I don't know much about Zero Escape I can't say anything about it in comparison, and the only reason I'd say a character from fate has more of a chance than a DR character realistically because the series itself has appeared on Nintendo systems and characters weren't just cameo appearances, otherwise I'd say a DR character like Monokuma would have a higher chance if the games were there because (I think) the popularity of DR surpasses Fate/.

I still want Monokuma over all VN reps though, regardless of the realism of it. I have heard rumors though that apparently a Danganronpa Series Collection is going to be finding its way to the switch sometime soon, but then again that's just rumors and I would've expected something like that at E3 if it were true.

I can think of an execution for Sonic however, might sound a bit too much like the generic Sonic fan fiction or weird rom hack, but I think Monokuma would be one to do that on purpose because of the almighty feeling that is despair! Basically in summarization it's just: Monokuma catches Sonic in some kind of glue trap/something to make him stop in his tracks and then proceeds to force feed him chili dogs till he explodes.
SEGA actually has two characters, the other being Bayonetta.

It’s intriguing that you haven’t heard about Zero Escape, given the similarities with Danganronpa and the fact that the latter is usually accused of aping the former. Perhaps you’ve heard of Nine Hours Nine Persons Nine Doors? That’s what the first game is called. Regardless, if you’re a Danganronpa fan, I highly recommend you play them.

But I can’t envision a Zero Escape characters, as they’re all normal people (they don’t even have talents like the characters in Danganronpa), and there isn’t really a mascot like Monokuma, so I don’t see that really posing much competition.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
SEGA actually has two characters, the other being Bayonetta.

It’s intriguing that you haven’t heard about Zero Escape, given the similarities with Danganronpa and the fact that the latter is usually accused of aping the former. Perhaps you’ve heard of Nine Hours Nine Persons Nine Doors? That’s what the first game is called. Regardless, if you’re a Danganronpa fan, I highly recommend you play them.

But I can’t envision a Zero Escape characters, as they’re all normal people (they don’t even have talents like the characters in Danganronpa), and there isn’t really a mascot like Monokuma, so I don’t see that really posing much competition.
I've heard of both of those, it's just I haven't given them the time to watch a let's play or play the games, the most exposure I've had to characters from those are NicoB's counsel of voices videos and those aren't really the best representation of them. But I'll give them a chance once I got time for it.

I guess Bayonetta could? I don't know, most people I've talked to consider her a Platnoum Games representative and not a SEGA rep, it's somewhat confusing, like it was with Sora till HMK got Disney to announce Sora would technically be a Disney rep if he ever got into smash bros.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
This is one of those characters I absolutely don't see having any kind of hope, but it would still be really cool if it did happen.

I think the Danganronpa games would have to arrive first on the Switch before I could see them getting represented in Smash.

Monokuma would absolutely have to be the character representing Danganronpa though. He is Danganronpa.

Last edited:

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
This is one of those characters I absolutely don't see having any kind of hope, but it would still be really cool if it did happen.

I think the Danganronpa games would have to arrive first on the Switch before I could see them getting represented in Smash.

Monokuma would absolutely have to be the character representing Danganronpa though. He is Danganronpa.
Yeah, that's understandable, some people I've talked to about his potential inclusion in Smash Brothers stated he's like a Cloud situation, he only appears on Nintendo systems through cameos and references, but he'd be a welcome addition.

That he is, I mean... there are three other characters that appear in all the mainline games, being Makoto, Kirigiri, and Togami, but I think those three would probably be more suited to be either assist trophies (at least in Makoto's situation) or being trophy stands, since they don't usually have roles as big as their ones in Danganronpa Trigger Happy Havoc or anything in comparison to Monokuma's role these days.

Seeming as though despite the series being relatively young in comparison to Ace Attorney and Fate/, I would say its popularity rivals those two or even surpasses them, and that popularity may be enough to boost his chances, along with the fact Spike Chunsoft makes the Pokemon Mystery dungeon series for Nintendo, so while that probably doesn't mean anything, It'd be nice for them to finally throw them some representation in Smash regardless.

Also I see what you did there, clever wording.

LunarLiv

Smash Apprentice
I'd totally support Monokuma if not just for the Danganronpa OSTs. BEAUTIFUL LIE IS SO DANG GOOD! THIS SERIES HAS SUCH GOOD MUSIC! AAAAAAAAA!

Well that and I just love, love, LOOOOVE Danganronpa.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I brought this up in his thread; but how would you feel about a double reveal with Monokuma and Phoenix Wright?

Chumble Spuzz

Smash Rookie
Okay, while I would absolutely LOVE to play as Monokuma in Smash, I don't think he (I guess she, technically) has a snowball's chance in hell of making it in, ever. The Danganronpa series just seems too f***ed-up for Smash. Granted, I've never played Bayonetta, but I think DR is a little... visceral... Not to mention the fact that spoilers for the series are already so hard to avoid. I wouldn't want a fiasco like Porky in Brawl. That said, if he does make it by some miracle, I'll be beside myself with joy.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Okay, while I would absolutely LOVE to play as Monokuma in Smash, I don't think he (I guess she, technically) has a snowball's chance in hell of making it in, ever. The Danganronpa series just seems too f***ed-up for Smash.
See also: Moge-ko from Mogeko Castle. "F***ed up" is just the starting point for that game. (Actually, I can totally see Monokuma being buddies with Moge-ko and/or King mogeko...)

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Anyone got a monokuma stock???
As of currently: No, I sent a request to that stock icon thread awhile ago but to my knowledge it hasn't been made.

I'd totally support Monokuma if not just for the Danganronpa OSTs. BEAUTIFUL LIE IS SO DANG GOOD! THIS SERIES HAS SUCH GOOD MUSIC! AAAAAAAAA!

Well that and I just love, love, LOOOOVE Danganronpa.
Welcome to the remnants of despair, we hope you despair at your stay. Nonetheless, I agree with the music part... surprisingly enough the mention of DR's soundtrack has been the one thing I didn't mention, I should rectify that by compiling a list, but that'd probably be based off of the most popular tracks from the series, in which I'd probably need to find recentpolls for that information.

I brought this up in his thread; but how would you feel about a double reveal with Monokuma and Phoenix Wright?
I wouldn't mind that, but personally with the fact that Ken seems likely with Echo Fighters being a thing and Monster Hunter getting a boss/assist trophy and a stage... I think Pheonix's Chances has dropped a lot for the base game, wouldn't mind DLC though, so... a double reveal would be unlikely unless Monokuma gets in.

Okay, while I would absolutely LOVE to play as Monokuma in Smash, I don't think he (I guess she, technically) has a snowball's chance in hell of making it in, ever. The Danganronpa series just seems too f***ed-up for Smash. Granted, I've never played Bayonetta, but I think DR is a little... visceral... Not to mention the fact that spoilers for the series are already so hard to avoid. I wouldn't want a fiasco like Porky in Brawl. That said, if he does make it by some miracle, I'll be beside myself with joy.
I'd like to remind you Sakurai has stated he's open to /any/ M Rated game character as long as he can one 1. Keep their moveset and personality true to their character and 2. They can realistically be toned down. Which in my opinion can be easily done as with personality, just have him be cracking his jokes (well, by the extent of voice acting Smash has) that don't stretch the E10+ line Ultimate currently has, and being obsessed with despair, in which can realistically be done. Then as I prove with my moveset concept, he can still have one true to his character, though the machine gun stuff would probably just have to be replaced with something else, since that most likely did shoot actual bullets instead of energy/lasers like his bazooka did, but that's easy to do seeming as there is /so/ much he could pull from, plus he probably could be a bit more violent seeming as Ridley and Corrin have moves that impale opponents, with Ridley's being more violent than Corrin's in my opinion. So... he does have a chance to actually get in... a big one? Maybe not, I'd say he has much of a chance Cloud did during Smash 4 since there was a very small chance that he would and well... now we have Cloud in Smash and he's coming back in Ultimate. Though I do get the spoiler part, that just never stopped Sakurai, as you said as an example: Porky in brawl and an example of my own: Xenoblade 1 in Smash 4. Though I am glad you'd be happy at his conclusion, I just thought I needed to say this.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989

So apparently the screenshot in this tweet is a letter from Sakurai to TooKyo Games, a company which was recently created by Kodaka and a few others, Kodaka being the one that's created the Danganronpa series, now while this it is still a mystery what will happen with the Danganronpa series as a whole, it is now confirmed Sakurai knows about Danganronpa and Kodaka's other games and is a fan of them, now while I don't know if this boosts his chances in Ultimate since it appears to be the fan favorites are being picked and I don't think Monokuma did all that well in the Smash 4 ballot, but it still confirms the fact Sakurai knows who Monokuma is and what he can do.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
I'll be honest, when I first made this thread I never thought Monokuma would hit the double digits, and while that's still not a lot compared to his Visual Novel rivals Phoenix Wright and Artoria ,getting to the double digits is still a big enough achievement for a character that's rarely talked about when it comes to smash speculation.

nintenplayer

Smash Journeyman
Wow, I was just browsing through the Support Threads list, and what's this? THE UPUPU DES-BEAR (sorry) FROM MY FAVORITE VISUAL NOVEL SERIES?! Might as well throw in my support!

This is truly the biggest pipe dream of mine, probably never gonna happen, but oh man would it be cool if it actually did. LET'S GIVE IT EVERYTHING WE'VE GOT

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Here's something interesting to think about. How do you think various Smash characters would get punished in Danganronpa?

I had an idea for Link I wanted to share.

A giant ceramic pot appears in the center of the room and Link is plucked up by a mechanical hand and thrown in. Then dozens and dozens of cuckoos are dropped into the pot.

Then two mechanical hands grab the top and bottom of the pot and start shaking the pot up and down really fast, enraging the cuckoos.

Then right as the shaking stops Monokuma jumps up wearing a green tunic and wielding the master sword. He powers up his spin shot..... and then spins towards the pot, it shatters as the sword makes contact... cuckoos flying everywhere.

Last edited:

nintenplayer

Smash Journeyman
I'd imagine Isabelle's one being kind of similar to
Kirumi Tojo's Execution. She'd have a similar motive, and she would try to escape even after being chosen as the blackened.

And Luigi's would be just the Simon trailer.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I've only recently gotten into the Danganronpa series (and even then I haven't played any of the games, I just watched Lucahjin's Let's Play of Trigger Happy Havoc), but I would very much like to support Monokuma if you so allow me. Also, I was wondering what everyone's thoughts about the announcement of Too Kyo Games and what it could mean for Danganronpa. Since I've only recently gotten into the series, I don't have an actual opinion, so I was wondering what the general consensus among fans was. Anyway, I hope to support the Remnants of Despair. :)

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Hey, can I be added to the supporters list, please?

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Oh wow, there is a thread for this! I got into Danganronpa like... around the first quarter of this year? I was worried it would be too anime, but after two minutes of playing and hearing "Gatta kill to get out!" I was hooked! I love murder mysteries, and now it's one of my absolute favorite series, just behind like...Ace Attorney and Smash! And Monokuma is one of my fav characters and would absolutely represent the series best!

I, also, don't expect it at all, and I'm not even sure I want it? I mean, I'm not against it at all, you can add me to the supporters if you want! I just...guess I really want umm... I just want the music, such an amazing soundtrack, I wanna fight to the Ultra Despair Girls remix of Distrust, it's my favorite!! And "Love is Survival" and "Discussion - Heat Up!" and all the investigation themes!! That's really all I want!

But hey, Monokuma would make a really fun fighter~ I can already imagine some of his cartoony movements! Grab+Pummel is like how he licks his kubs, Down-B can just be like, a self-destruct button, where he starts beeping and you have to throw him to avoid getting hurt, and he just sprouts another one of himself wherever he appeared last, and of course an all-out execution final smash where he probably puppeteers Master Hand, all sorts of fun! I wouldn't want his moveset to be spoiley at all, but maybe a baseball bat could show up? Oh, who knows! Anyway!

Yeah! Fun! The music is my #1 priority <3

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I know this thread isn't particularly active, but I wanted to ask a question. If their were to be Spirits based on Danganronpa characters, what kind of Spirit Battles would you want to see? I'm still fairly new to the series, so I don't feel qualified to answer this on my own.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
I know this thread isn't particularly active, but I wanted to ask a question. If their were to be Spirits based on Danganronpa characters, what kind of Spirit Battles would you want to see? I'm still fairly new to the series, so I don't feel qualified to answer this on my own.
Ah, it's tough! But I guess Toon Link's dark color has black/white and red eyes, so maybe that's close enough to represent Monokuma? Since we don't have a school or courtroom stage...maybe a beach to represent SDR2...? Nah! The Kaitlin & Katie spirit battle in the direct showed a bunch of fog on Smashville! So how about a bunch of fog on Princess Peach's Castle (Melee) and we pretend that's Hope's Peak Academy!

I imagine "Monokuma" standing in the middle, and hitting him will be against school regulations, uhhhhh...so maybe you spar with Kyoko, represented by Inkling's schoolgirl alt (with purple hair too, it's perfect!), for uhh...his amusement? And she'll try to hit "Monokuma" and you have to stop her? Yeah! Defend Monokuma by beating Kyoko to recruit Monokuma as a spirit! That makes sense, right?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Ah, it's tough! But I guess Toon Link's dark color has black/white and red eyes, so maybe that's close enough to represent Monokuma? Since we don't have a school or courtroom stage...maybe a beach to represent SDR2...? Nah! The Kaitlin & Katie spirit battle in the direct showed a bunch of fog on Smashville! So how about a bunch of fog on Princess Peach's Castle (Melee) and we pretend that's Hope's Peak Academy!

I imagine "Monokuma" standing in the middle, and hitting him will be against school regulations, uhhhhh...so maybe you spar with Kyoko, represented by Inkling's schoolgirl alt (with purple hair too, it's perfect!), for uhh...his amusement? And she'll try to hit "Monokuma" and you have to stop her? Yeah! Defend Monokuma by beating Kyoko to recruit Monokuma as a spirit! That makes sense, right?
Well... It's a start, anyways...

I haven't seen enough of Danganronpa 2 to know if this could work or not, but do you think Chiaki Nanami could work in a Spirit Battle with Wario? He references the WarioWare series more than he does the Wario Land series, and WarioWare is about playing games back-to-back. Or am I just looking too deeply into this?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

I haven't seen enough of Danganronpa 2 to know if this could work or not, but do you think Chiaki Nanami could work in a Spirit Battle with Wario? He references the WarioWare series more than he does the Wario Land series, and WarioWare is about playing games back-to-back. Or am I just looking too deeply into this?
I think Chiaki would work better with Jigglypuff, considering her tendency to doze off.

Sonsa

Smash Champion

No, yeah, Chiaki definitely likes games, but yeah, maybe Jigglypuff or someone less...Wario... would work better haha He's just too...plump and mustachioed to pull it off well I think...!
But the Warioware stage would be great for her!

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I think Chiaki would work better with Jigglypuff, considering her tendency to doze off.
No, yeah, Chiaki definitely likes games, but yeah, maybe Jigglypuff or someone less...Wario... would work better haha He's just too...plump and mustachioed to pull it off well I think...!
But the Warioware stage would be great for her!
So if I've got this right, have the opponent be Jigglypuff (in reference to Chiaki's sleepy nature), and have the fight take place on the WarioWare stage. OK. Thanks for keeping your criticism constructive!

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
So if I've got this right, have the opponent be Jigglypuff (in reference to Chiaki's sleepy nature), and have the fight take place on the WarioWare stage. OK. Thanks for keeping your criticism constructive!
Yeah, I think WarioWare or Gamer would fit nicely.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Hm, I could see Juzo Sakakura being connected to Little Mac as one is a boxer, thenother is the /Ultimate/ boxer.

Then alternatively I can see Sakura Ogami being connected to either Ryu or Ken due to her being the Ultimate Martial Artists.

It's hard to say, at least for me to think who Makoto Naegi would be connected to, so I'd assume he'd have to be a Mii costume one.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Hm, I could see Juzo Sakakura being connected to Little Mac as one is a boxer, thenother is the /Ultimate/ boxer.

Then alternatively I can see Sakura Ogami being connected to either Ryu or Ken due to her being the Ultimate Martial Artists.

It's hard to say, at least for me to think who Makoto Naegi would be connected to, so I'd assume he'd have to be a Mii costume one.
I see Sakura more as Incineroar.

Top Bottom