• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Marvelous Heroes of the Treasure Island are here! Dion, Max, and Jack for Smash!

How should Dion, Max, and Jack be as a character?

• Total voters

smashkirby

Smash Hero

After many years, it's time for the Marvelous trio to return to the spotlight in Super Smash Bros.!

What is "Marvelous", you ask?
"Marvelous: Mōhitotsu no Takarajima" (meaning: "Marvelous: Another Treasure Island" in English) was released in 1996 for the Super Famicom. The game's story goes a little something like this: Many years ago, when the seas were ruled by the pirates, Captain Maverick was the worst of them. It is said he left an astounding treasure hidden on an island filled with traps and puzzles. Many years later, three boys (Dion, Max, and Jack) attend their summer camp, which just happens to be situated on the same island that Captain Maverick left his treasure, where they uncover a secret hidden deep on the island, as do a band of three dangerous pirates who are searching for the ancient treasure. In the game, you would control all three boys simultaneously each with their own skills. You could assign a leader and let them work together as a team. You meet many characters along the way who will help you, give you hints, or ask you to go on missions for them. The game seemed to be well received in Japan, but did not get a release in the West, due to the Super Nintendo being on its way out to make way for the Nintendo 64. The game WAS popular enough in Japan to garner two sequels-of-sorts in the Satellaview game, "BS Marvelous: Time Athletic", and Marvelous: Camp Arnold.

So, who are the 3 squirts above?
The main characters listed below are as follows and this is the general vision I would have for all of them. They would be able switch out to make one the leader and the other two would follow closely behind. So they would be a cross between he Ice Climbers and Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon:

Dion- (in red and brown, wearing the cowboy hat in the middle; age 12) – He may be short, but he's quite the spirited little fellow. He's a fast runner and a good pitcher. (He would be the all-around character of the trio, albeit with a slight emphasis on speed.) His small size allows him to dodge attacks with relative ease, and catch opponents off guard, due to his speed. Putting him at the head of the team will make them move quite faster.

Max- (in green, with the monkey on his head; age 12) – He is the largest and strongest of the three. He likes to eat, but also likes to play soccer and swim. He is also a good boxer. (He would be the powerhouse of the three, basically.) He also can lift heavy objects. This allows him to move the fastest of all three when carrying something like a Crate or Barrel. It's preferable to have him in the lead if you want to score KOs easily, though he will cause the group to move somewhat slower than if Dion or Jack were in the lead.

Jack- (in blue and red, wearing the glasses; age 12) – He is the tallest and smartest of the three. Being as good with his hands as he is, he likes to build things and work with machines (He would be the summoner of the three, more or less). With this, he can invent new times that will assist the trio in battle. Considering how he's taller than the others, putting him in the lead of the trio allows the player(s) need(s) to jump high.
In "Marvelous", Dion, Max, and Jack use their various abilities and skills to solve different puzzles in the game. In the game, you can control one of the three protagonists - the "leader" whom the others follows. You can switch the role of leader between them by "passing the hat"; which at first can only be done as long as they are on the same screen. As this implicates, you can also split up the team in order to control each character independently, and a simple whistle blowing will get them back together if they're around. The idea of constantly separating and gathering the trio is at the core of the game, and you'll have to make use of that ability to manage to be on different places at the same time.

Of course, every character has his own characteristics, but they don't really reside all that much in their physical abilities. They do somewhat influence how character controls feel - Dion is small and quick, Max is fat and slow, and Jack is tall and able-handed; but the character-specific items they use in battle is also essential to their gameplay. For example, Dion has a baseball projectile he can aggressively throw at enemies, Max has a tuba (that he uses in "Marvelous" to go scuba-diving) that allows him to last longer when in water, and Jack has a pair of special boots he invented that allow him to jump high. With so many options, it wouldn't be hard to give the Marvelous trio a very unique moveset that would be lots of fun to play!

In 2008, Sakurai talked about some criteria he usually uses when choosing characters.
The first one - "The character's inclusion must make people want to play the game." This one is hard to pinpoint. Fans of Marvelous would be excited to finally see Dion, Max, and Jack in something new for the first time in so long, and many players may think their concept of being a trio with varying abilities and skills looks like an interesting feature and choose to play as them. However, since they come from such an obscure game, I'll admit that they probably wouldn't pull in many people all on their own.

Second - "The character must be unique." The Marvelous trio absolutely fits the bill on this - they have a whole bunch of unique attacks that could be utilized in Smash, as well as having unique and eye-catching designs.

Third - "The character must fit into the style of Super Smash Bros." This applies to the Marvelous trio too - with so many unique attacks and abilities, they'd fit right in with all of the other characters on the roster.

Fourth - "They must contribute to the game balance." While I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to balance any potential newcomer, and the Marvelous trio don't fall into a specific, identifiable fighting style, like a swordfighter, meaning their inclusion wouldn't make for "too many swordfighters" or anything similar. I must admit though that they may be be a tad tricky to balance due to their various abilities.

For the most part though, the Marvelous trio certainly fits most of Sakurai's criteria well! So they'd be pretty great choices.

So that's my take on them, please tell me what you all think of them and what moveset you think they should have!
The Marvelous Supporters!
smashkirby
FamicomDisk
SquashiniKun
GoodGrief741
SEGAGameBoy
kool2419
thirsty-pocket
chocolatejr9
Libson Mapping

Last edited:

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
Wow, now there’s a unique choice! Hadn’t thought about them joining the battle before, but they’d definitely be fun additions to Smash!

I think they’d work best if you alternated between them. It’d be the best way to adapt them from the original game, in which you take control of each one individually. If they didn’t do that, then I think a single Marvelous character - probably Dion - would be best. The multiple at once mechanic is Ice Climber’s gimmick, so I don’t really want that to be given to other characters.

In any case, I support them in Smash!

Last edited:

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
i learned about these guys from an episode of Region Locked, they'd be fun introductions. Support!

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
YES YES YEEEES

I just love Marvelous so much that I’d love to see anything from it make it to Smash, even if it were to be just music or a stage.

Support the trio all the way.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Woah, now there’s a unique choice! Hadn’t thought about them joining the battle before, but they’d definitely be fun additions to Smash!

I think they’d work best if you alternated between them. It’d be the best way to adapt them from the original game, in which you take control of each one individually. If they didn’t do that, then I think a single Marvelous character - probably Dion - would be best. The multiple at once mechanic is Ice Climber’s gimmick, so I don’t really want that to be given to other characters.

In any case, I support them in Smash!
i learned about these guys from an episode of Region Locked, they'd be fun introductions. Support!
YES YES YEEEES

I just love Marvelous so much that I’d love to see anything from it make it to Smash, even if it were to be just music or a stage.

Support the trio all the way.
Oh, wow! I didn't think I'd get any supporters this early! Well, you all are on the support list! Congrats!

BTW, FamicomDisk FamicomDisk , I like your idea for the 3! So, are you pretty much saying they should act sort of like Red's PKMN in Brawl.

Because that's pretty much what I described them as in my OP for this thread.

Specifically, Dion being in the lead would have the trio move faster, Max in the lead would give the trio more power, and Jack in the lead would give the trio more reach in their attacks, as well as give them higher jumps.

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, that's what I voted for in the poll, too! Smash 5 could re-introduce something like transforming characters, so swapping them out like that would be the best option in my opinion. Though since there's a lot of teamwork involved in Marvelous, I could see each character having the others jump out for specific moves to help out - for example, maybe Dion is the character you're playing as, but then one of the moves makes Jack hop out and shoot a rocket or something. Most of the moves would be done by the one you're playing as, but there could be one move for each of the ones you're not playing as on each.

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
Hey Smashkirby! You've been liking everyone of my posts. There's really no problem that. Just wanted to say thank you! Also, I support this.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey Smashkirby! You've been liking everyone of my posts. There's really no problem that. Just wanted to say thank you! Also, I support this.
Well, I guess I just have a habit of liking posts that support so many characters that I also support! (I hope that didn't come off as mean to others...)

Anyways, you're on the support list! Congrats!

kool2419

Smash Apprentice
More obscure characters that will be interesting additions. Nintendo has a very long history and i didn`t know about these three until now. I support this.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
ATTENTION: The OP has been updated. It's no necessarily done yet, so don't take this as the "end-all, be-all" OP.

That said, if anyone has any suggestions/opinions, I'd like to hear it. Please no flaming, though.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Well since you pointed the thread out to me go ahead and add me to the supporters. Hope you don't mind the bump.
I've yet to finish the game, actually I only really played up until reaching the second island ( trying to find the time to jump back in ), but I see a lot of potential in the characters. I'm always in favor of more obscure nintendo games getting a little more exposure, in hopes that maybe Nintendo will revisit it someday... that and they legit seem like cool characters. I remember seeing the preview for this game in Nintendo Power and thinking the character designs were neat, and that Max looked like Joe from Digimon.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Well since you pointed the thread out to me go ahead and add me to the supporters. Hope you don't mind the bump.
I've yet to finish the game, actually I only really played up until reaching the second island ( trying to find the time to jump back in ), but I see a lot of potential in the characters. I'm always in favor of more obscure Nintendo games getting a little more exposure, in hopes that maybe Nintendo will revisit it someday... that and they legit seem like cool characters. I remember seeing the preview for this game in Nintendo Power and thinking the character designs were neat, and that Max looked like Joe from Digimon.
Aaaaannnd...you're on the support list! Congrats, thirsty-pocket thirsty-pocket !

Believe me, I definitely don't mind the bump to this thread! It's nice to see there are people out who are even aware of the existence of these 3 in the first place! What's more, it's nice to see some people around here who also appreciate the more obscure side of Nintendo's library.

In fact (for the sake of shameless plugging here), this thread isn't the only retro/obscure one I've made. I've even made an Alice (Balloon Kid) for Smash thread and a Pilotwings for Smash thread (which gets a lot more traction, I might add).

Still though, I think you might be the first person on this thread (AFAIK) who's actually played any of the Marvelous games for that matter. BTW, you have a point that Max looks like Joe from Digimon. I haven't seen the original Digimon for a while now, so I sort of forgot.

I should even mention that I haven't exactly played any of the Marvelous games, but I was greatly enticed by the designs of Dion, Max, and Jack to the point where I supported them for Smash.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
You should give it a shot while you still can, with all the emulation sites being shut down, I wouldn't wait on Nintendo to release any games that they haven't released already. And last I checked, the fan translation was basically finished.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Yo! While I'm not quite ready to throw my support into these guy's; there are a lot of retro's out there! But I am intrigued so if you ever make a moveset smashkirby smashkirby let me know!

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I'm so happy, I didn't think they'd ever get acknowledged again. I wonder if they'll spark anyone to want to play the game... or maybe Nintendo to revisit the franchise... I doubt it, but it's nice to dream. I actually played Pikmin, Animal Crossing, and Magical Starsign because of trophies in the Smash games, so who knows?

Though to be fair it also feels like there's plenty of people who play Smash strictly for what they're familiar with and don't care to learn about the unfamiliar ones, which has always been a strange approach to me.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I'm so happy, I didn't think they'd ever get acknowledged again. I wonder if they'll spark anyone to want to play the game... or maybe Nintendo to revisit the franchise... I doubt it, but it's nice to dream. I actually played Pikmin, Animal Crossing, and Magical Starsign because of trophies in the Smash games, so who knows?
This is one of the reasons I adore Smash. It's such an accessible method to get the word out for even the most obscure of franchises in their library.

Though to be fair it also feels like there's plenty of people who play Smash strictly for what they're familiar with and don't care to learn about the unfamiliar ones, which has always been a strange approach to me.
Well, not everyone is expected to put much stock into Nintendo's work, so...

Yay!

By the way, if Mii Costumes allow it, I’ll make these guys my Mii Fighters.
Say, what Mii Fighter types do you all think the 3 boys would be assigned to? Like, who would be what Mii Fighter type, basically.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
This is one of the reasons I adore Smash. It's such an accessible method to get the word out for even the most obscure of franchises in their library.

Well, not everyone is expected to put much stock into Nintendo's work, so...

Say, what Mii Fighter types do you all think the 3 boys would be assigned to? Like, who would be what Mii Fighter type, basically.
I’d try to make one of each, though tbh, I dunno who I’d make what. Max would definitely be Brawler, but then I wonder who I’d make Gunner and who Swordfighter.

Right now my bigger concern is to figure out whether I should give the hat to all of them, none of them, or just to Dion.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Well, I'll be a son of a gun! Guess who just became Spirits for Smash Ultimate!
Is it W a l u I g I?

... Just so we're clear, I have been supporting these guys ever since I saw the Region Locked episode on Marvelous. Though, does anyone know of any Let's Plays of the game that I can watch? That's the only way I can experience the game myself.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I’d try to make one of each, though tbh, I dunno who I’d make what. Max would definitely be Brawler, but then I wonder who I’d make Gunner and who Swordfighter.

Right now my bigger concern is to figure out whether I should give the hat to all of them, none of them, or just to Dion.
Personally, I'd have a Dion Gunner outfit, a Max Brawler outfit, and a Jack swordfighter outfit.

Is it W a l u I g I?

... Just so we're clear, I have been supporting these guys ever since I saw the Region Locked episode on Marvelous. Though, does anyone know of any Let's Plays of the game that I can watch? That's the only way I can experience the game myself.
I take it I can put you on the support list then?

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
So, guys. I'd like to ask, what do you all think of Dion, Max, and Jack appearing in Smash Ultimate as a 3-in-1 Spirit? Were you surprised at Nintendo going this deep into their own history?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
So, guys. I'd like to ask, what do you all think of Dion, Max, and Jack appearing in Smash Ultimate as a 3-in-1 Spirit? Were you surprised at Nintendo going this deep into their own history?
Not really, they did a really deep cut with Spirits, and Marvelous is still an Aonuma game. I was glad to get them, though.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Not really, they did a really deep cut with Spirits, and Marvelous is still an Aonuma game. I was glad to get them, though.
Yeah, I agree. Still, I wonder... do you all think Dion, Max, and Jack have a shot at being one of the additional DLC characters past the Fighter's Pass? I doubt it, but a guy can dream right?

Lisbon Mapping

Smash Apprentice
This is a great game! I definitely support.
edit: I put the game on pause after I beat the Wild West island though.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Aaaaannnd...you're on the support list! Congrats, Lisbon Mapping Lisbon Mapping ! It's always nice to see people who love the retros! Speaking of which, what would you all say to these 3 making cameo appearances in Zelda games? I mean, they were created by Aonuma, so...

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
Aaaaannnd...you're on the support list! Congrats, Lisbon Mapping Lisbon Mapping ! It's always nice to see people who love the retros! Speaking of which, what would you all say to these 3 making cameo appearances in Zelda games? I mean, they were created by Aonuma, so...
That'd be fun! I could see lookalikes getting thrown into a Zelda game as NPCs at some point, maybe with slightly more exaggerated designs to fit the Zelda style better. Not that I really expect that to happen, but it's the kind of little reference that wouldn't be TOO shocking.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
That'd be fun! I could see lookalikes getting thrown into a Zelda game as NPCs at some point, maybe with slightly more exaggerated designs to fit the Zelda style better. Not that I really expect that to happen, but it's the kind of little reference that wouldn't be TOO shocking.
Hey, that'd be pretty nifty! Say, do you think the boys would have fit as cameos in Link's Awakening, or ANY Zelda game would work?

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
Hey, that'd be pretty nifty! Say, do you think the boys would have fit as cameos in Link's Awakening, or ANY Zelda game would work?
I think any Zelda game would work just fine for a little reference, yeah! The series does things like that every now and then - Malon and Ingo from Ocarina of Time, for example.

Link's Awakening would've worked too, especially since it's the Zelda game with the most references to other series, but the original did come out before Marvelous did. :)

Top Bottom