• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe The Mario Music Thread

T-block

B2B TST
Mario games have some of the best tracks ever composed for a video game. They deserve more attention =)

So whether it's the original NES theme or Galaxy's "Gusty Garden Galaxy", share your favourite tracks in this thread ^^

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-z2kxFCQ_mQ"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-z2kxFCQ_mQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

But seriously, I just made this thread to make you all listen to Gusty Garden Galaxy. It's soooo good x.x

A_man13

Smash Master
Gusty Garden is my all time favorite mario song, though if I had to make a list:

-Boss battle/Cackletta Battle/Popple and Rookie battle (M&L: SS)
-Gusty Garden/Purple Coin Comet/Good Egg Galaxy/ Final Bowser Battle/Melty Molten Galaxy (Super Mario galaxy)
-Mr. L theme/ The Ultimate show (Super Dimento Battle)/ Francis battle (SPM)
-Athletic theme /Mini-boss battle/Main Menu(Yoshi's Island)
-Fawful's theme / Final Boss/Friend theme(M&L:BiS)
-Special stage music (Super Mario Sunshine)
-Bowser's Castle theme (New Super Mario DS., though I prefer the Super Mario Sluggers remix)
-Bomb-omb battlefield/ Rainbow ride (SM64)
-Fortress/Airship/land level (both) music (SMB 3)
-Mushroom Bridge/Waluigi Stadium/ Bowser's Castle (MK:DD)
-Crystal King/Tubba Blubba/Koopa Bros. Battle (Paper Mario)
-Rawk Hawk Battle (Paper Mario: TTYD)
-Bowser Jr.'s Playroom (Super Mario Sluggers)
-Waluigi's theme(Super Mario strikers Charged)
-Waluigi Pinball (MKDS)

Gee, this is growing to some list. And yes I do have an affiliation to Mario boss music...

EDIT: Added songs and links
EDIT2: More songs and more links
EDIT3: MOAR LINKS! Note to self: Self, do not browse Youtube for more links.

UberMario

Smash Master
Koji Kondo is my favorite composer PERIOD. I have to take off my [Mario] hat for how many songs he has done in the past three decades.

But these are my favorite Mario songs off all time:
-Boss Battle (Super Mario World)
-Rainbow Road (Super Mario Kart)
Bowser (Yoshi's Island)
-Toad's Turnpike (Mario Kart 64)
Bowser's Castle (Mario Kart 64)
Banshee Boardwalk (Mario Kart 64)
-Lakeside Park (Mario Kart: Super Circuit)
-SMW Bowser Battle (Itadaki Street Official Remix)
-Boss Battle (Mario Kart DS)
-The Final Showdown (Donkey Kong '94)

Yes, I know not all of these were made by Mr. Kondo

These are my two favorite remixes though:
Banshee Boardwalk on Club Circuit
Super Mario Bros Syndrome

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I'm probably the only one that is going to say that the music is one of the few things I disapprove of in the Mario series as of late.

The first games of the series, SMB1 - SMB3, have great soundtracks, no doubt about that. Each piece was original, jumpy, and great to listen to over and over again. Super Mario Lands 1 and 2 get mentions as well.

Super Mario World had a great main theme, but Kondo just remixed the piece over and over and over everywhere except the overworlds and the boss battles. That's my major negative about that game.

Then enters Super Mario 64, which has an astounding soundtrack, even if it comprises about 6 songs. Each piece had a sense of adventure to them, and made the game enjoyable.

But then, there's Super Mario Sunshine. God, if I could pick the Mario game with the worst soundtrack, this would be it. It felt so dry compared to SM64. The only redeemable songs from that game are Ricco Harbor, the boss theme, and the scat version of the original theme, imo.

The first two Paper Mario games contain the most stunning soundtracks I have ever heard. They are right up there with the Genesis Sonic and Sonic Unleashed soundtracks, to me. I could listen to Rogueport theme, Koopa Bros. Battle Theme, Shiver Mountain Theme, Doopliss Battle Theme, and a whole mess of others for HOURS. The songs really set the mood at the moment, gave the respective characters some personality, and are really great to listen to as you're fighting or running around.

The Super Paper Mario soundtrack, on the other hand, sucks. Not gonna sugarcoat that one. Not a single theme in that game is appealing to me, except possibly the Floro Sapien Caverns theme - not even the Mr. L theme or Super Dimentio Theme click for me. It's as if Kondo wasn't even trying to make good songs for this game, compared to the first two of the series.

The Mario & Luigi series had a kind of a on-again-off-again thing going on in their soundtracks. While some songs like BiS's final battle theme and SS's Popple/Fawful Theme are great, the overworld songs of SS and pretty much the entire PiT soundtrack except for the final theme are pretty sub-par.

The New Super Mario Bros. series falls under the same thing Super Mario World did - great main theme, but remixing the **** thing repeatedly for almost every stage is a major downer. NSMBWii get's a plus for remixing songs from previous games though, albeit it takes the Airship theme 30 seconds to get to the main part.

Since Motoi Sakuraba was in charge of the sports soundtracks, one can expect them to be good. And good they are. No argument there.

Mario Kart series has some of the most memorable songs, but then, it has some lackluster songs as well. It has all the Rainbow Road pieces, Sky Garden of Super Circuit. and Luigi Circuit from MK64, but then I can hardly remember much from the other themes for the other tracks.

Super Mario Galaxy. Orchestra makes everything better. No real arguments over this soundtrack, except perhaps they could have been more pronounced and adventurous in some of the songs, like that Bee Galaxy song.

tl;dr: The Mario soundtracks seems to have an on-and-off sense of quality to me - the quality doesn't remain consistent for the most part, unlike the Sonic and Kirby soundtracks. At times, like the sports titles, the Paper Marios, SM64, and the 8-bit games, the music is spectacular. But then with Super Paper Mario, Super Mario Sunshine, and the NSMB series, it feels very lackluster and not all that great.

D

Deleted member

Mario's soundtrack have always been brillant. Especially in Super Mario Galaxy.

A_man13

Smash Master
Good links, everyone. Me, on the other hand, need to keep adding songs like crazy to get all of my favorites on paper...

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
Water theme from Mario 64. Nothing else can compare <3

I think I might download it and add it to my iTunes.
Such a relaxing song lol

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
Do it.

Also, I've had this song on repeat for the last half hour.
It's just so good.....

§leepy God

Smash Master
I'm currently unchanged:

Now that I beat NSMBW, I'll list my top five favorite songs on all the Mario Platformer/Adventure (Mario related included except Wario World titles) and RPG's:

Platformer/Adventure

SMB
1) Overworld
2) Castle
3) Underworld
4) Underwater
5) Starman

SMB2

1) Starman
2) Character Select
3) Underworld
4) King Wart
5) Overworld

SMB3

1) Airship
2) Overworld 2
3) Koopa Kid Battle
4) Underwater
5) King Bowser

SML

1) Submarine Theme
2) Easton Kingdom
3) Overworld
4) Pyramid Kingdom
5) Muda Kingdom

SMW

1) Castle
2) Underworld
3) Overworld
4) King Bowser
5) Athletic

SMW2YI

1) Big Boss
2) King Bowser (Or Prince Bowser)
3) Flower Garden
4) Athletic
5) Underworld

SML2

1) Star Maze
2) Wario
3) Wario's Castle
4) Overworld
5) Overworld 2

SM64

1) Bowser's Final Fight
2) Dire, Dire Docks
3) Road to Bowser
4) Cave Dungeon
5) Metal Mario

YS

1) Baby Bowser's Lullaby
2) Alpina Blue
3) Tall Tower
4) Yo Yo Yoshi
5) Jungle Fever

LM

1) Dark Rooms
2) Super Mario Bros. Theme
3) Bogmire Battle
4) King Boo's Mario Painting
5) Mario Comes Out Alive

SMS

1) Special Stage
2) Shadow Mario
3) Ricco Harbor
4) Delfino Plaza
5) Gelato Beach

SPP

1) Giddy Sky Act 1
2) Bowser
3) Fury Volcano Act 1
4) Slidebrella
5) Hoo's Wood Act 2

NSMB

1) Bowser Jr & Bowser
2) Main Boss Castle
3) Walking the Plains
4) Flowing Lava
5) Fun at the Beach

YIDS

1) Mid-World Boss Battle
2) Overworld 2
3) Beach
4) Athletic 1
5) Jungle

SMG

1) Final Bowser Battle
2) Gusty Garden Galaxy
3) Airship Theme
4) Buoy Base Galaxy
5) Purple Coins

NSMBW

1) Bowser 2
2) Koopa Kid Castle
3) Koopa Kid Battle 1
4) Overworld 8
5) Underground

RPG'S

SMRPGLOTSS

1) Smithy 2
2) Forest Maze
3) Boss Battle
4) Happy Adventure, Delightful Adventure
5) Culex Battle

PM

1) Final Bowser Battle
2) Crystal King Battle Theme
3) Koopa Bro's Battle Theme 2
4) Tubba Blubba Battle Theme
5) Siege on Bowser's Castle

M&LSSS

1) Final Battle
2) Underground
3) Popple Battle Theme
4) Boss Battle
5) Joke's End

PMTTYD

1) Final Battle
2) Bowser Battle
3) Doopliss Battle
4) Cortez Battle
5) Boggly Woods

M&LPIT

1) Boss Battle
2) Final Battle
3) Bowser Battle
4) Toad Town Ruins
5) Underground

SPM

1) Mr L. Battle (Brobot L. Type)
2) Count Bleck Battle
3) Final Battle
4) Lineland Road
5) Gloam Valley

M&LBIS

1) Final Battle
2) Boss Battle
3) Bowser's Battle Theme
4) Peach's Castle (Taken Over)
5) Bumpsy Plains
I still need to do sports and spinoff games, lol.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Most music from ToS is amazing. <3 the Tethealla (MAJOR SPELLING WRONG) Castle theme.

This, I completely forgot about it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no5F-C8hSio

I can't believe I forgot about this...this was like, the only song I really liked/one of the only stages I liked in Super Circuit. I had a really hard time with the controls in that game. Rainbow Road felt INSANE.

UberMario

Smash Master
I forgot how great that battle theme was for PM:TTYD. Thanks for reminding me. :)

BTW Yink, Silvagunner has versions of all of the songs that don't have that annoying engine sound running in the background.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
/in response to T-Block's opening post

This is why Gusty Garden Galaxy plays on Delfino Plaza in my version of Brawl. SO AWESOME!

Mr.Freeman

Smash Ace
Too many great songs to list, so here goes:

Delfino Plaza(Sunshine)
Ricco Harbor(Sunshine)
underwater theme from SM64
Sherbet land (MK64)
Koopa's Road(SM64
Rainbow Road(MK64)
Bob-omb Battlefield/other stages with that song(SM64)
Forest Maze (SMRPG)
Boggly Woods(Thousand Year Door)
Excess Express sunset theme(Thousand Year Door)
X-naut Moon base(Thousand Year Door)
Magnuss Von Grapple (Thousand Year Door)
the Riddle Tower in the Palace of Shadow (Thousand Year Door)

pretty sure I'm missing some.

A_man13

Smash Master
Oh god I forgot about this game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXwVfXgL4Uo

looooool
A music game naturally is gonna have a few good songs. Personal favorites from that game have to be the Wario Battle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUz8ZWQscAw&feature=related) and Bowser's Castle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J24vpqlIgA&feature=related). I also like Destruction Dance, but I don't think that really counts as Mario Music...

Yeah, now I'm trying to get break dancing Bowser out of my (thanks to you) resurfaced memory...

BSP

Smash Legend
I remember DDR: MM. It did have some great remixes.

It took me forever to realize that Cabin Fever was a remix of Toy Dream. Starring Wario was an epic version of greenhorn forest...good times.

urdailywater

Smash Hero
Koji Kondo does amazing with his music. Seriously. Especially with the Mario series. It's like, I don't see how Shigeru could make a game without him.

My top favorites are still his contributions to Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. It's just so fun and groovy.

My favorite video game remix (in general) is actually of the cave theme from the game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivkLHnPOyH8

Top Bottom